Paying for the Sox 2014 Bill of Goods

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Paying for the Sox 2014 Bill of Goods

Yes last year was unexpected and magic. Timely hitting and stingy postseason pitching took us to the promise land. This year version of the Fenway 9 looks more lost than found. Read many threads and posted some about ideas on how to fix things. Best quote from a thread was we have to many holes to fix in one season. So true and as fans we have to pay for a not so good baseball team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Paying for the Sox 2014 Bill of Goods

There are no guarantees when you're a fan.  That's life. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Just what does it mean to be sold a bill of goods? I've wondered that for years. Of course I know the meaning is that you were deceived in some way, but how does being "sold a bill of goods" mean you were duped? What's the origin, and why did someone think it was a bad thing to be sold a bill of goods? 

The 2014 Red Sox have sold us all a bill of goods.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't want guarantees.  It doesn't strike me as fun.  To be honest, some of the most fun I've had in life has been when I thought I had no chance.

I was in the pub with a friend playing pool.  We were completely smoked when one of the Irish guys comes over to play, and wants to know if I want to play for $5.  It annoyed the heck out of me that he was trying to hustle drunks, so I tell him to make it $10.  He says okay, I crack, and I run the table, even though I could barely stand up.

He throws the $10 on the table, and I ask him how much money he had with him.  He stared at me for a second, and then leaves the bar.

So now, 30 years later, what am I going to remember?  1,000 games of playing for a beer, or the $10 I took off of someone I shouldn't have even played?

We shouldn't be afraid of a struggle.  The journey counts as much as the destination.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I don't want guarantees.  It doesn't strike me as fun.  To be honest, some of the most fun I've had in life has been when I thought I had no chance.

I was in the pub with a friend playing pool.  We were completely smoked when one of the Irish guys comes over to play, and wants to know if I want to play for $5.  It annoyed the heck out of me that he was trying to hustle drunks, so I tell him to make it $10.  He says okay, I crack, and I run the table, even though I could barely stand up.

He throws the $10 on the table, and I ask him how much money he had with him.  He stared at me for a second, and then leaves the bar.

So now, 30 years later, what am I going to remember?  1,000 games of playing for a beer, or the $10 I took off of someone I shouldn't have even played?

We shouldn't be afraid of a struggle.  The journey counts as much as the destination.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

We have much to not be afraid of in 2014.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The idiom goes all the way back to the shipping traders in the 1600's, where goods were often bought sight unseen, then shipped overseas.  Quite often the ship would never make it to port, or said products on a particular bill of goods might need to be jettisoned to save the ship.  The would be buyer of those goods was said to have been in point of fact, "sold a bill of goods."  of course, this unfortunate mishap was often used by unscrupulous vendors, merchants, shippers, etc., and eventually took on the idiidiomatic meaning of being ripped off.   Being "sold" ond thing, and receiving much less than expected, or nothing at all.  A very common practice used to take advantage of the early pioneers settling our west.  It's become a very American idiom, but is & has a very universal origin, likely well before the 1600's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].   You shoot a good stick. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Love that story, & it's always the way I played anything from soccer, lacrosse,  hockey, football, baseball, to track.  I was never more on & pumped to go than when I was "behind the eight ball," so to speak.  Maybe I'm a bit touched, but I never enjoyed sports more than when the coach would say something like, this kid is an absolute stud, & I want you all over him.  I may be somewhat delusional, but I can never recall being outplayed.  I did get beaten badly when my guard was down.  I take it back.  Good on those "lesser" guys.  I guess I did get beaten.   Ouch!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The idiom goes all the way back to the shipping traders in the 1600's, where goods were often bought sight unseen, then shipped overseas.  Quite often the ship would never make it to port, or said products on a particular bill of goods might need to be jettisoned to save the ship.  The would be buyer of those goods was said to have been in point of fact, "sold a bill of goods."  of course, this unfortunate mishap was often used by unscrupulous vendors, merchants, shippers, etc., and eventually took on the idiidiomatic meaning of being ripped off.   Being "sold" ond thing, and receiving much less than expected, or nothing at all.  A very common practice used to take advantage of the early pioneers settling our west.  It's become a very American idiom, but is & has a very universal origin, likely well before the 1600's.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thanks for the story.  It was interesting times.  Captains, crews, and investors could make fortunes on a trip to India way way back when.  Just a lot of times, the ship would never return.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Great story! I once played a pre-season softball tournament out of town and we ended up seeded against one of our own hometown teams. They were at the higher "A" level and we were lowly "C" level. Playing with two replacement players one of whom was our regular scorekeeper we somehow managed to play them even through six frames. In the top of the 7th, I blasted a Grand Slam over their primadonna CF' s head on a 2 strike count. We closed them out and partied like we won the WS. Nine months later I ran into one of my team mates in the maternity ward, our wives were delivering on the same day. So I guess I hit two home runs that day, and he scored too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Yes great story ! I have one like that also....... When I was a young kid this guy in a fancy suit ( later found out to be working for Sox ) Asked me if I was interested  in buying a ten dollar ticket to a sox game. I told him I couldn't afford it. He then just throw it at me and said enjoy. So now, 30 years later ,that same ticket cost 400 dollars. What am I going to remember. ? I can pay that ten bucks now, but where is the rest of the 390 dollars going to come from? Maybe i'll work two jobs? After all wouldn't it be worth watching JBJ strikeout or millionairs with sore toes or sore fingers complain.I really would enjoy that 8 dollar beer,just wouldn't enjoy that second job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Yes great story ! I have one like that also....... When I was a young kid this guy in a fancy suit ( later found out to be working for Sox ) Asked me if I was interested  in buying a ten dollar ticket to a sox game. I told him I couldn't afford it. He then just throw it at me and said enjoy. So now, 30 years later ,that same ticket cost 400 dollars. What am I going to remember. ? I can pay that ten bucks now, but where is the rest of the 390 dollars going to come from? Maybe i'll work two jobs? After all wouldn't it be worth watching JBJ strikeout or millionairs with sore toes or sore fingers complain.I really would enjoy that 8 dollar beer,just wouldn't enjoy that second job.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And yet, hundreds of thousands of people go to Fenway every year for a lot less.

I guess the guy in the suit spoiled you for life and nothing but the best seat will ever be good enough for you.

Sucks to be you.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

And yet, hundreds of thousands of people go to Fenway every year for a lot less.

I guess the guy in the suit spoiled you for life and nothing but the best seat will ever be good enough for you.

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

See you do know how much tickets can go for. Glad to see that your smart with your money and love those Dunkin-Donuts seats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

See you do know how much tickets can go for. Glad to see that your smart with your money and love those Dunkin-Donuts seats.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Grandstand, behind first base. $55.

Great seats, twice a year.

Quit whining.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Or you could buy a $50.00 ticket and move down to the $400.00 seat :-) 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes last year was unexpected and magic. Timely hitting and stingy postseason pitching took us to the promise land. This year version of the Fenway 9 looks more lost than found. Read many threads and posted some about ideas on how to fix things. Best quote from a thread was we have to many holes to fix in one season. So true and as fans we have to pay for a not so good baseball team.

[/QUOTE]

I think many of us have already romanticized the 2013 season to the point of thinking that everything was sunshine and rainbows from beginning to end...not so.

Around this time early last season we were dealing with:

-Losing one closer (Hanrahan) for the season, and we would soon lose another (Bailey);

-Middlebrooks hurt/struggling (sound familiar?);

-Doubront being wildly inconsistent (sound familiar?);

-The aftermath of Drew's concussion;

-Victorino doing a stint on the DL (sound familiar?);

-Didn't know how Papi's health was going to shake out;

-Buchholz was pitching brilliantly, but we know that didn't last long...we ended up with Webster and then Aceves in the rotation for a while;

-Lester would go through a pretty awful stretch that had people thinking it would be 2012 all over again for him;

That's just off the top of my head.

We have more lineup issues to work around this year, and have not had the same kind of luck getting big hits when we need them. The defense has not been what it was last year either. But really, "too many holes to fix in one season"? Hogwash.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Best comment ever on this board.

Too many fans/posters get so caught up in finding things to be critical about or waiting for things to go bad that they can't enjoy the journey. If the end result is all that matters, they should ignore the season and check on what happened at the end of the World Series.

Believe it or not, I'm enjoying this season tremendously. Yes, I get pssed off as much as anyone when the Sox can't score after getting men on second and third with no outs, or have first and second with one out and hit into an inning-ending double play. But watching the season unfold and the drama of wondering if the young kids are going to break through or the drama of the other mysteries each season brings is why I'm a fan.

It's a different type of enjoyment of course from last year when everything went right. But the journey is important to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Perfectly said...

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Quit whining.

[/QUOTE]

against what teams?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to BDCMassGuy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Quit whining.

[/QUOTE]

against what teams?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I've been to Yankees games and Seattle Mariner games.

The Sox don't charge different rates for different games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Quit whining.

[/QUOTE]

against what teams?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

yuh they do. I paid more then $55 for yankees grandstand tickets.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Quit whining.

[/QUOTE]

against what teams?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

They didn't start doing that until this year, so I never paid a different price.

I'm betting you didn't have to pay $400 either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCMassGuy. Show BDCMassGuy's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Quit whining.

[/QUOTE]

against what teams?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

They didn't start doing that until this year, so I never paid a different price.

[/QUOTE]

nope but those of us who have families drop $400 easily at a Sox game for decent seats. Not affordable family fun.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Sucks to be you.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Quit whining.

[/QUOTE]

against what teams?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos" rel="nofollow">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-set-price-structure-for-2014-tickets?ymd=20131115&content_id=63952072&vkey=news_bos

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

nope but those of us who have families drop $400 easily at a Sox game for decent seats. Not affordable family fun.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

To paraphrase what was told to me, when I was complaining about the state of this board; "No one is making you go".

It's not cheap to take a family anywhere these days, the movies, NFL games, NBA, Disney World.

Corporations charge what the market will bear.

They are responsible to their shareholders, not you and jr.

You bought tickets, so you obviously can afford it.

If you can't, it's your mistake, not the Red Sox.

Sections
Shortcuts