Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere?

Now that they've ridded themselves of close to 260 million dollars, is it acceptable to basically give Lackey away to a team in the NL? Just to get him off the roster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere?

In Response to Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere?:
    [QUOTE]Now that they've ridded themselves of close to 260 million dollars, is it acceptable to basically give Lackey away to a team in the NL? Just to get him off the roster.
    Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]

An Angels beat writer said a Lackey for Vernon Wells contract swap could make sense for both teams this offseason.  Makes even more sense now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'd hang on to Lackey.  We've got him for 3 years for a little over 30 million.  Maybe he'll rebound with the TJ surgery.  Starting pitching is a big need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]Now that they've ridded themselves of close to 260 million dollars, is it acceptable to basically give Lackey away to a team in the NL? Just to get him off the roster.

I would have said never would happen, but now could be a real possibility. Like the Yanks gave up on Burnett, Sox should do the same with Lackey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : An Angels beat writer said a Lackey for Vernon Wells contract swap could make sense for both teams this offseason.  Makes even more sense now.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]
    It def does make more sense now. With and opening in LF that trade looks better and better, It fills a need and rids us of the double fister.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

On "The Baseball Show" this morning, the guys were making the argument to keep Lackey.

Personally, the thought of that makes me sick.  If you talk about a "Cancer / virus / whatever on this team, I put him at the top of the list.  Why stop at keeping Lackey?  Why not re-sign Dice-K? 

Are these guys all high.  Calling Lackey a "GOOD" # 3 guy, who wins 12 - 15 games.  Unless the Sox have some BIG BATS, a la Papi & Manny, it ain't gonna happen.  His ERA likely stays near 5.00 or higher.  No chance in hell I want this guy anywhere near this team!  I wish he went before A-Gon, Beckett, Crawford, or Punto!!!  Granted, I simply can't stand the guy, but if these baseball guru's think keeping Lackey is the way to move forward, I haven't got a clue what they're smoking!

The same guys were itching to get Dice-K back in mid-July.  Unbelievable!!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

oh...  p.s.

Lackey s ucks!  He will always s uck!  He pitched in the worst hitting league before Boston, with a good hitting team.

He's a bumb on the field, and a complete cancer in the clubhouse!  WORSE THAN BECKETT!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Posted by Bisson1[/QUOTE]Lackey will w/o doubt be dealt this winter. You can also say bye to Dice k.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : Lackey will w/o doubt be dealt this winter. You can also say bye to Dice k.
    Posted by Hingham Hammer[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with that, Good riddance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Lackey isn't as bad of a deal now that he was hurt.  The Sox basically get the next 2 years at half price

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]Lackey isn't as bad of a deal now that he was hurt.  The Sox basically get the next 2 years at half price
    Posted by Mchampion[/QUOTE]

They will actually be paying the league minimum the third year now, so he'll be getting a little over $10 M a year averaged out. Not a bad deal if he bounces back after the TJ surgery. His elbow could have contributed to his problems all along.

Wait and see how he does.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : They will actually be paying the league minimum the third year now, so he'll be getting a little over $10 M a year averaged out. Not a bad deal if he bounces back after the TJ surgery. His elbow could have contributed to his problems all along. Wait and see how he does.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

Like the Corvair, LACKEY is unsafe at ANY PRICE!

Gee, he's gonna still suck, but at the bargain basement price of $10 million.  Wow!  Now I really want to keep him.

You guys sure know your baseball.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

The thing with Lackey is that it's not just his performance on the field, which has been horrific. He's just such an unlikable personality...and really, what's Lackey going to give them? I didn't think pre-Boston Lackey was anything special. He's a "bulldog", who "battles"...he's not an ace, shouldn't be paid like one.

Lackey had a particular personality. He comes to Boston, then suddenly other players are demonstrating the same personality. Defiant, stubborn, nothing is my fault, I'll do what I want to do, don't question me about it, someone else's fault if I fail, etc.....then Beckett starts walking around acting like something Lackey pooped out.

So yeah, given the money they're saving now, get rid of him. Pay to be rid of him. Who cares? They won't get their money's worth from him anyway, being rid of him is money better spent.

And does anyone really think Lackey's going to pitch that last season? He's not pitching for league minimum, he'll retire.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

p.s.  No offense!  But you guys have your heads up your arsses!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I will be shocked if his ERA is ever below 5.OO ERA again!  SHOCKED!  & I'll eat this computer paper next to me!  Print & save this!  I'll eat it!  Not happily, as I can't even stand the guys face! 

Have you all forgotten the cancer factor?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : They will actually be paying the league minimum the third year now, so he'll be getting a little over $10 M a year averaged out. Not a bad deal if he bounces back after the TJ surgery. His elbow could have contributed to his problems all along. Wait and see how he does.

Of course his elbow contributed last yr. You are all nuts. Lackey is a freakin bulldog. He competes. ANY OTHER PLAYER, never mind pitcher, would have shut it down at the first sign of tj surg. Lackey didn't. He kept getting shots, to help the team. Went out there in sept with spaghetti elbo and competed cause the front office asked him to. For what it's worth, we need more John Lackey's....guys that will play hurt. If any of you ever pitched at a high level you would know what it's like to pitch with a sore elbo, or shoulder. Lackey is a steal at 10m a yr for 3 yrs. He ll win 40 to 50 games for them and never, EVER, ask out of a game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : Like the Corvair, LACKEY is unsafe at ANY PRICE! Gee, he's gonna still suck, but at the bargain basement price of $10 million.  Wow!  Now I really want to keep him. You guys sure know your baseball.
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE]

You must have a crystal ball. How do you know he won't bounce back?

Lackey s ucks! He will always s uck! He pitched in the worst hitting league before Boston, with a good hitting team.

At least I know enough about baseball to know he came from the Angels, who are in the same league as Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksilvia723. Show ksilvia723's posts

The only thing that could make me accept Lackey for 2013 is if he held a press conference, expressed his desire to make a come back, work hard and showed a more possitive attitude.  That would make me give him a break.  I'm not holding my breath for this to happen, but if it did, I'd give him another chance.  Him, Beckett and Lester all should have apoligized to the fans after last year's meltdown.  The fact that they didn't, showed lack of character.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : You must have a crystal ball. How do you know he won't bounce back? Lackey s ucks! He will always s uck! He pitched in the worst hitting league before Boston, with a good hitting team. At least I know enough about baseball to know he came from the Angels, who are in the same league as Boston.

I was referring to the AL west.  I think you know that?  Maybe not.  The AL west was horrible at that time.  I think you know that.

No crystal ball.  Just my opinion, based on what I've seen so far.  With the Red Sox & with the Angels.

You're not capable of making a personal judgement on a guys predicted talent level based on their career???

Hmm???  OK!

Sorry!  I can.   You are welcome to disagree.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

I love how all of a sudden this board is supporting Lackey...I would get rid of him the first moment I could. I wouldn't even give him a chance because he doesn't even deserve it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : I was referring to the AL west.  I think you know that?  Maybe not.  The AL west was horrible at that time.  I think you know that. No crystal ball.  Just my opinion, based on what I've seen so far.  With the Red Sox & with the Angels. You're not capable of making a personal judgement on a guys predicted talent level based on their career??? Hmm???  OK! Sorry!  I can.   You are welcome to disagree.  :)

I don't begrudge anybody their opinion, but you seemed to begrudge other people theirs. I thought that was probably what you meant, but thought I would take the opportunity to criticize, since you felt the need to throw insults around.

He was 102 and 71 with LA in 8 years with a 3.81 era, before coming here as damaged goods, it appears. I never thought he was an ace, but at least a solid number three. I think we should see what he has after the TJ surgery.  The money's not too bad if he pitches like he did in LA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : I don't begrudge anybody their opinion, but you seemed to begrudge other people theirs. I thought that was probably what you meant, but thought I would take the opportunity to criticize, since you felt the need to throw insults around. He was 102 and 71 with LA in 8 years with a 3.81 era, before coming here as damaged goods, it appears. I never thought he was an ace, but at least a solid number three. I think we should see what he has after the TJ surgery.  The money's not too bad if he pitches like he did in LA.

My "insults" were pretty generic.  No direct attacks, except upon Lackey and "The Baseball Show" guys.  I did reference "some guys" having their heads up their arsses, but it was pretty oblique.

While I have no problem with you making a case, I will continue to rip the idea of keeping Lackey, who objectively speaking is a horrible pitcher, & a major clubhouse distraction.  I don't get running Beckett out of town, but leaving the guy who brought the dysfunction the minute he stepped into ST two years ago.

Quite frankly, I do think those who want to keep Lackey, & think it's money well spent are completely out of it.  I wonder where they've been?  I don't think his problems are primarily injury driven.  Even if he was half decent at a 4.2 ish ERA, I still say he's a problem player, who brings a SR down. 

Just my opinion.  People who don't share it are morons.  :)  kidding!  But I do feel very strongly about it.  Sorry if it was insulting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paying Lackey to pitch elsewhere? : My "insults" were pretty generic.  No direct attacks, except upon Lackey and "The Baseball Show" guys.  I did reference "some guys" having their heads up their arsses, but it was pretty oblique. While I have no problem with you making a case, I will continue to rip the idea of keeping Lackey, who objectively speaking is a horrible pitcher, & a major clubhouse distraction.  I don't get running Beckett out of town, but leaving the guy who brought the dysfunction the minute he stepped into ST two years ago. Quite frankly, I do think those who want to keep Lackey, & think it's money well spent are completely out of it.  I wonder where they've been?  I don't think his problems are primarily injury driven.  Even if he was half decent at a 4.2 ish ERA, I still say he's a problem player, who brings a SR down.  Just my opinion.  People who don't share it are morons.  :)  kidding!  But I do feel very strongly about it.  Sorry if it was insulting.

Sure, we'll see how it plays out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Lackey was right in the middle of all our current problems.  He will be gone whether he pitches well or not just to get the guy out of town.  Don't think for a minute he stays in Boston by simply pitching well.  It would however benefit Ben if he does so he can trade him.