Payroll and Performance

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Payroll and Performance

Link for team payroll figures for last year and for the coming year, interesting to look at: Dodgers all-in; Rays and As in bottom 4 and no one will blink an eye if they make playoffs.  Admire Rays strategy of signing guys they believe in long term in beginning of career, and building w young talent by letting the big $ guys go.  Why don't more teams employ their methods when big contracts as often as not go bust?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb--mlb-opening-day-team-payrolls--infographic--172007462.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Payroll and Performance

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Link for team payroll figures for last year and for the coming year, interesting to look at: Dodgers all-in; Rays and As in bottom 4 and no one will blink an eye if they make playoffs.  Admire Rays strategy of signing guys they believe in long term in beginning of career, and building w young talent by letting the big $ guys go.  Why don't more teams employ their methods when big contracts as often as not go bust?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb--mlb-opening-day-team-payrolls--infographic--172007462.html

because other teams can afford to flush money down the drain. the Rays can not. more money means you can take more risks. The Rays have a solid farm now because they spent so much time in last place and got the pick of the litter in every draft. Now that they are doing well they are not getting top draft talent and i suspect in a few years (coupled with a low payroll) they will be back to their old ways as their incoming talent is not able to keep up with the talent leaving each year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The interesting point here is that no one, no one, no one would be contented. Let's say the Ray's played in Boston , sold out every game for five years and maintained the payroll the Rays currently have and won a couple of WS--this board would be loaded with people complaining--"JH and TW--are lining their pockets with $100's of Millions of dollars every year. They should be spending more money on the team but they are taking the money and running." 

Human Nature--they are doing what they can--they are not trying to destroy the franchise--they are not running the program down so if they sell it in 5-10 tears they will make less money.

They can't win for trying!!!!!!! Let up--there will be green grass when they open the season. The Park will be clean and there will be new hope with Iggy and JBJ and Nap and the return of WMB, Pedroia and newcomers Vic, Hanny, Ue, Demp and Gomes. Healthy Lester, Buch and Bailey along with a power source in Salty and Ells.

Go Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

that's why i am happy they are reinvesting into the team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Because you have to trust your scouts.  I respectfully disagree with the premise of this thread.  I believe that the Dodgers are a sign of what can happen when you spend money poorly; however, I disagree that this is a sign that you shouldnt spend money.

We had big dollar free agents in 2004 and in 2007.  The yankees are a perennial powerhouse because of their ability to bring in free agent stars.

I think that you have to be very careful regarding who you give big dollar contracts to; however, I disagree that big dollar contracts should be avoided at all costs.  If the player is right and the time is right, spend the money.  Thats the real advantage of having guys like Jackie Bradley Jr.  They fill a position for cheap, allowing you to allocate a portion of your "LF Budget" to fill other holes.

We are in a big market and should operate like a big market team.  Our competitive advantage is our ability to add payroll.  We should flex this muscle when the time is right and when the right player is available.  However, we shouldnt spend carelessly (Crawford). That contract was a mistake from the beginning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

because other teams can afford to flush money down the drain. the Rays can not. more money means you can take more risks. The Rays have a solid farm now because they spent so much time in last place and got the pick of the litter in every draft. Now that they are doing well they are not getting top draft talent and i suspect in a few years (coupled with a low payroll) they will be back to their old ways as their incoming talent is not able to keep up with the talent leaving each year.

I don't think you can really say that any more. It's been a while since the Rays finished last. I think the Rays just have excellent scouting and a very astute general manager.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I don't think you can really say that any more. It's been a while since the Rays finished last. I think the Rays just have excellent scouting and a very astute general manager.

which is why i think they they are going downhill from here..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Correct, but we can theoretically match there excellent scouting and GM competency.  What they cant match is our ability to spend.

If the Rays played in teh Boston market, they probably would have grabbed some highly paid stars in free agency and won a world series by now (or 2)

If anything the Rays show me why you should spend rather than why you shouldnt.  They have been soo close for a while now.  If they had those extra $$ they could have grabbed those missing pieces to put them over the hump.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Because you have to trust your scouts.  I respectfully disagree with the premise of this thread.  I believe that the Dodgers are a sign of what can happen when you spend money poorly; however, I disagree that this is a sign that you shouldnt spend money.

We had big dollar free agents in 2004 and in 2007.  The yankees are a perennial powerhouse because of their ability to bring in free agent stars.

I think that you have to be very careful regarding who you give big dollar contracts to; however, I disagree that big dollar contracts should be avoided at all costs.  If the player is right and the time is right, spend the money.  Thats the real advantage of having guys like Jackie Bradley Jr.  They fill a position for cheap, allowing you to allocate a portion of your "LF Budget" to fill other holes.

We are in a big market and should operate like a big market team.  Our competitive advantage is our ability to add payroll.  We should flex this muscle when the time is right and when the right player is available.  However, we shouldnt spend carelessly (Crawford). That contract was a mistake from the beginning.

The YANKEES are over the hill oldies stuck with huge contracts and would love to dump those contracts. Thats what happens when you spend for long term roiders... Talk about careless !!! You don't scout these type of players, you just fill seats and hope.... Well guess what....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to Drewski5's comment:

The YANKEES are over the hill oldies stuck with huge contracts and would love to dump those contracts. Thats what happens when you spend for long term roiders... Talk about careless !!! You don't scout these type of players, you just fill seats and hope.... Well guess what....

If the Yankees have to go to a 2-3 yr rebuilding process while some backloaded contracts expire, thats a small price to pay for the decades of success that they've had.

The Red Sox are in a market that is more like NY than it is like San Diego.  Therefore, the Red Sox should have a payroll that is closer to the Yankees than it is to the Padres.  Of course, the money should be spent on the right players and not the best players

Sections
Shortcuts