Peavy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Peavy

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Moonslav,

You fail to mention ERA and resort to WHIP and War for a starting pitcher with a 4 plus ERA every season but one, since 2010. He's not a relief pitching, so WHIP is overstated. WAR is worse than CERA voodoo. Let's just say my WAR isn't the same as Fangraphs.

I mentioned ERA-. A better stat than ERA.

You already posted the ERA stats, so I didn't want to get repetitive.

I take Iglesias, on the bench and ready for duty over the next few years, and Doubrant starting tonight. Forget Iglesias, I denounce Peavy's contract and fit, period! We disagree on that. 

Like I said, I was against the Iggy trade. We agree on that.

Peavy is much better than Doubront or Dempster, so yes, we disagree on that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Either way, it sure looks as though Redsoxfireman is about to eat some crow. 

If Peavy wins tonight and pitches well, that's a small amount of crow.

If Peavy loses tonight, the whole "Sox will win the ALDS" pronouncement is in jeopardy.

Amazing how one guy can spout so many self-contradictory statements.  He has annointed Farrell as the only reason the Sox are winning this season and now blames him for last night's loss.  He has attacked the Sox as a team all season long with nary a good thing to say about them, but now guarantees they will win the ALDS.  And he further guarantees the Sox, should they win the ALDS, have no hope in the ALCS. 

The master of the one game sample size definitive judgements will claim, "it's only one game", if he does well.

If he does poorly, we'll see a new threads lickity split.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Look, the whole rationale for the trade was that we had a chance to win it all, and Peavy was the one missing ingredient needed to put us over the top. Well , now it is time for him to prove it. Let's see what happens. I know this much; if Peavy lays an egg, his supporters will say something like, " it is too soon to judge." That is not true. Peavy is here for one reason only. To win the big post season games. Now , it is up to him to do it. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

I wont say "its too soon to judge" about Peavey. The point is that it is too soon to judge about Iggy.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

It may be too early to judge about the trade but Iggy is already a great ss and not just by the average joe but by veterans like David Ortiz.

iggy isn't already a great ss.

No one  gets to be "great" forever because they had a good half season in the ML.

Last year it was Josh Reddick that everyone was all upset about.  No one could care less anymore.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

on a side not I hear kim is gone.  Too bad she added a very nuetral character to this board. 

She's posted recently

why did she leave?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just curious, what makes Peavey a prima donna?

2010 107 innings 4.63 ERA   15 million

2011 111.2 innings 4.92 ERA  16 million

2012 219 innings 3.32 ERA   17 million

2013 144 innings 4.17 ERA  14.5 million

Total up the numbers and average them out and do the math, Space. This guy gives many GM's their well earned label of incomptence. Big name, big cost, little performance.

Prima Donna means getting paid more than what you are worth?

Did you find that in the Suburban Webster's Dictionary?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Little doubt that Peavy's paid way more than he's "worth".

That's not what prima donna means.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I'm not excited by what "Peavy can do", I know what he can do. And that's the problem that the Red Sox offense will need to overcome. 

What everyone on BDC needs to overcome is your stupidity. Back to ignore you go. I cannot read the blatherings of a blind idiotic MORONl. 

Hetch

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's great that the Sox offense "overcame" Peavy's horrific start tonight.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

CAn I cast my vote of confidence in Peavy?  Too late?

But it's really the same vote I was casting in early August...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

With no one on, Gibson would NOT throw 4 wide ones to Longoria.  He intentionally walked 118 guys in 17 years, and given his personality, I'd bet virtually all of them were to set up double plays late in games.  Somwhow, I just don't see a guy who faced lightweights like Mays, Aaron, McCovey, and Clemente would have been worried about Evan Longoria.

Interesting notion.

The hitter who received the most IBB from Gibson was Hall of Famer Billy Williams, with 10.  Williams was also the career leader in home runs against Gibson, again with 10.

Through age 27, Williams career numbers were .297 / .361 / .504 (134OPS+) with 141 HRs in 3,484PA.  Through age 27, Longoria’s career numbers are .275 / .357 / .512 (136OPS+) with 162 HRs in 3,419PA.

The two were extremely similar hitters, except that Longoria will never get to bat in front of Ron Santo and Ernie Banks…

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

CAn I cast my vote of confidence in Peavy?  Too late?

But it's really the same vote I was casting in early August...

I voted early and often.

posted at 10/8/2013 8:49 AM EDT

• moonslav59
    • First: 9/27/2005
    • Last: 10/9/2013

Tonight is the night people stop talking about Iggy.

(At least for a few days anyways)

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I've said it before and I will say it again.  I would have traded Middlebrooks over Iglesias (in a move that would have cut Detroit out of the trade altogether and sent Middlebrooks directly to the White Sox.  This whole 3-team deal thing is too Billy Beane/moonslav for me.)  

I liked Iglesias.  I just like post-season wins more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I loved Iggy, but 2 playoff cycles from Peavy is one more than I expected for what we gave up.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

I'm not excited by what "Peavy can do", I know what he can do. And that's the problem that the Red Sox offense will need to overcome. 

Feel better today clueless?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Although I would have far preferred the Sox to wrap this thing up last night...I have to say there is part of me that is excited to see Peavy pitch in the post season. Not because I have any particular confidence that he's going to smoke the Rays..but because I want to see him in a purely pressure situation.

I am thinking he will do just fine..but one never knows..!

Yes. Because of Peavy's performance, losing game three actually has worked in Boston's favor now. Peavy got his work in, looked great, the team won, and we saved Lester and reset the rotation for the ALCS. Best of all worlds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I've said it before and I will say it again.  I would have traded Middlebrooks over Iglesias (in a move that would have cut Detroit out of the trade altogether and sent Middlebrooks directly to the White Sox.  This whole 3-team deal thing is too Billy Beane/moonslav for me.)  

the White Sox wanted Garcia, the Tigers needed Iglesias...with Buccholz return in question the Sox needed/wanted Peavy. I don't think anyone associated with the Red Sox are jumping of joy that they had to trade away a player with Iglesias's tools. Make no mistake it was a deal that in the big picture helped to propell the Sox to the best record and homefield throught the playoffs. Peavy's acquisition stabalized the rotation for the stretch run and along with the healthy return of Buchholz a now gives the Sox a four deep postseason rotation that matches up with any ones. 

Peavy has more than held up his end since arriving, who not only has has taken the ball every five days and competed. His moixy, intesity and demeanor "salty vet" has endeared him to his new team. Last night gutsy performance only put a bow on it...

In the end the play of Drew and the promise of more from Bogaerts made trading Iglesias possible. The Sox are heading to the ALCS and make no mistake about it the aquisition of Peavy has played a huge role in helping them get to this point. Lost in all of the stat-head analysis is the cause and effect that acquiring player like Peavy has on the moral of the team as the dog days of August begin to take it's toll on every player...Cherington and the owners made a very strong statement to players and the field managers by parting with a very good prospect and taking on a large salary that they were in it to win it. 

I hope that Iglesias goes on and has a HOF career. Given where we are today and what I've seen from Bogaerts count me among the group of Cherington supporters of the deal...It was a Win for all invloved...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Peavy/Iggy trade has been a big reason the Sox have been able to get to, and this far in the playoiffs so far. Doubront hit another wall because of conditioning, Workman would have gone over the innings limit. Webster wasnt ready and Demp wasnt going to get it done. We NEEDED a guy like Peavy. He could have gone a CG tonight, but Farrell decided to play the matchups all night, from the batters to the pitchers. This trade is a win. Like Notin said...I like Iggy, but I like playoff wins more.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Little doubt that Peavy's paid way more than he's "worth".

hahahahahaha.HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Keep trolling.  you'll be right one of these years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why most of these people wish Iggy is still with the Red Sox??  Did you know that he is hitting worst than Drew in this post season????????

Peavy would have pitch a complete game if Boston have score 5 plus runs, and save bullpen arms!!

Also Peavy helped the team to clinch the divisional title.  Without him, I am not sure if Dempster and Doubront could get their jobs done!!

Forget Iggy, Bogaerts is already a better player than Iggy!!

Move on guys!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

the White Sox wanted Garcia, the Tigers needed Iglesias...with Buccholz return in question the Sox needed/wanted Peavy. I don't think anyone associated with the Red Sox are jumping of joy that they had to trade away a player with Iglesias's tools. Make no mistake it was a deal that in the big picture helped to propell the Sox to the best record and homefield throught the playoffs. Peavy's acquisition stabalized the rotation for the stretch run and along with the healthy return of Buchholz a now gives the Sox a four deep postseason rotation that matches up with any ones. 

Peavy has more than held up his end since arriving, who not only has has taken the ball every five days and competed. His moixy, intesity and demeanor "salty vet" has endeared him to his new team. Last night gutsy performance only put a bow on it...

In the end the play of Drew and the promise of more from Bogaerts made trading Iglesias possible. The Sox are heading to the ALCS and make no mistake about it the aquisition of Peavy has played a huge role in helping them get to this point. Lost in all of the stat-head analysis is the cause and effect that acquiring player like Peavy has on the moral of the team as the dog days of August begin to take it's toll on every player...Cherington and the owners made a very strong statement to players and the field managers by parting with a very good prospect and taking on a large salary that they were in it to win it. 

I hope that Iglesias goes on and has a HOF career. Given where we are today and what I've seen from Bogaerts count me among the group of Cherington supporters of the deal...It was a Win for all invloved...

+10

Sections
Shortcuts