Peavy, Lester

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Peavy, Lester

Instead of ordaining Peavy and making Lester to be some odd man out, let's just be realistic here. Peavy is not as great as people make him out to be, and Lester is not as bad as those want to say he is. I don't feel like either is going to dominate a playoff game.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Peavy, Lester

Unless Breakholz comes back soon there is a good chance we will not be playing in October........................again

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Unless Breakholz comes back soon there is a good chance we will not be playing in October........................again

Agree with you.  The pitching for the Red Sox is still a problem and they all have to pitch better for the Red Sox to continue to be successful. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Lots of ball left to be played! We're in the hunt when most expected us to be battling for last place . The ebb of flow of a season will expose every teams flaws. The sox might not have a dominant #1. they do have a solid rotation that gives them a chance to win every time they suit up. if they fall short it won't be due to a lack of effort on behalf of the players or the management of the team. Sometimes I get the sense that many of you forget that both teams as rule rule show up to the park with a singular focus...they play to win the game. Last I checked the Sox have been successful in doing so 60% of the time. 

The sky's not falling, nor are the Sox...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Lots of ball left to be played! We're in the hunt when most expected us to be battling for last place . The ebb of flow of a season will expose every teams flaws. The sox might not have a dominant #1. they do have a solid rotation that gives them a chance to win every time they suit up. if they fall short it won't be due to a lack of effort on behalf of the players or the management of the team. Sometimes I get the sense that many of you forget that both teams as rule rule show up to the park with a singular focus...they play to win the game. Last I checked the Sox have been successful in doing so 60% of the time. 

The sky's not falling, nor are the Sox...

good post - at this point were good without an ace and honestly what can the team do at this point except wait for Clay's monthly cycle (OK semi annual) to pass

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I agree with beantowne, but last night was still a big disappointment.  

As for the OP, I am hopeful about both Lester and peavy.  I thought Lester pitched well and showed a lot of guts Thursday night after a very rough first inning, 41 pitches and an egregious error by Gomes.  No one seems to have noticed Lester gave up a grand total of 4 hits, no dingers, and 1 earned run in 7 innings.  given the ease with which the Royals hit peavy and the bullpen, right now Lester likes like aN ace.  

Beantowne's key point is these guys don't lose because of lack of effort or lack of managerial skill.  Right on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Bullpens won and lost this game. To me Holds are more important than Saves.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

Instead of ordaining Peavy and making Lester to be some odd man out, let's just be realistic here. Peavy is not as great as people make him out to be, and Lester is not as bad as those want to say he is. I don't feel like either is going to dominate a playoff game.

I don't think anyone is really making Peavy out to be great or expecting him to be an ace...most people seem to understand what he brings to the table. He's probably our #3 right now without Buchholz and might be the #4 or 5 by playoff time. We'll see. I think he'll be solid for us and still like the trade a lot, last night notwithstanding.

Agree with you also about Lester not being as terrible as he's often portrayed. He had a really rough stretch but appears to be making strides. I'd like to think he's starting to turn a corner, but I've said that before.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Cool Standings website gives the Red Sox at 70-48 a 91.5 percent chance of advancing to the postseason:

http://www.coolstandings.com/baseball_standings.asp

On this date two years ago Cool Standings gave the Red Sox at 72-43 a 98.6 percent chance of advancing to the postseason:

I still like the Red Sox chances this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Good Teams expose weaknesses, Sox and Ben better reevaluate this Bullpen quickly. Amazes me that all the negative talk about Lester that nobody here is ranking on Rubby, with this team down 3, the way they play this year 3 Run Homer not out of question. But those 2 Dingers he gave up in 8th, made it where the Sox had to hit a 5 run Homer, still looking for that.
    There lies the problem. Stop worrying about the bats, this team can hit, problem is 6-8 innings and Bullpen.
    This rotation is 6, occasioanlly 7, rarely 8 inning, rotation, you see what I'm getting at.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Flap, others, actually I'm talking more about the general baseball media than I'm am the forum people, who most of us do get it. I could not believe that headline though about "will Lester stay in the rotation?"...give me a break...and let's face it, everyone and their baseball expert mother said what an incredible trade for the Sox to get Peavy and only give up the best defensive infielder in the league (well, I thought he was amazing). Part of winning is great defense too. Anyway, Peavy is a good pitcher, Lester is a good pitcher, and neither is how they are perceived in the "media outlook." Both are succeptable to having some really bad efforts, like Peavy's v. KC, and both are just as capable of throwing a 7-8 IP, 4 hitter. But, the Sox have Doubront and they have this guy who is Mr. Fragi-le(e) and certainly Lackey who has been brilliant at times. it's a good rotation, and I hope it's enough to hold he bats down long enough to make it into the 8th with a lead--Uehara is another story--will he or won't he be effective in the big playoff games. We'll see. Dempster could still be a factor--but he's been very disappointing since his first few starts. Morales could also be a factor even in the pen. As for the rest of the relief staff--can any of these guys not get hurt?

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

I don't think anyone is really making Peavy out to be great or expecting him to be an ace...most people seem to understand what he brings to the table. He's probably our #3 right now without Buchholz and might be the #4 or 5 by playoff time. We'll see. I think he'll be solid for us and still like the trade a lot, last night notwithstanding.

Agree with you also about Lester not being as terrible as he's often portrayed. He had a really rough stretch but appears to be making strides. I'd like to think he's starting to turn a corner, but I've said that before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Reality check:  Peavy is a 32 year old , oft injured pitcher with greatly reduced velocity. His effectiveness has been in a steady decline. His ERA is now 4.50.   He does not appear to have a put away pitch left in his arsenal.  To say that he is a bulldog and competitor is commendable, but it is not enough. We have to hope that he can somehow find his former ability to dominate. Trying to assign him a number 2 or 3 or 4 in the rotation is pure nonsense. It serves no purpose at all.  Every game he pitches is important, no matter which number you want to give him.

Stabbed by Foulke

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

Agree with you.  The pitching for the Red Sox is still a problem and they all have to pitch better for the Red Sox to continue to be successful. 

Our overall pitching ranks SEVENTH in the AL as of this morning. Our SP, which had ranked a very good second for much of the year, now is tied for FIFTH, and our bullpen, which has stunk and been in tenth place for much of the year, is now EIGHTH. Unless the pitching turns around we cannot win a ring, though we might still make the playoffs. Breakholz is the key: if he can come back and pitch as effectively as he pitched when he was pitching he can match up well with the top SP of our competition.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

*Breakholz*...good nickname, appropriate.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

One loss and the panic hounds come out...Too funny.

Peavy had a bit of a rough time with a very hot hitting Royals team. He left the game with the lead and the Bullpen gave it up. Britton had been great and just had a bad game. It happens. Nobody said peavy was the savior. I sure didnt. I said he was good insurance and pitching depth for a plyoff run. We lost 2 against one of the hottest teams in baseball and the best pitching in the AL right now. Relax.

I think we just need to call up either Bogey or WMB. The bullpen is fine. Young kids (RDLR, Britton) are going to have a bad game.

Seriously, I bet some of you guys think 2011 is about to happen again...Dont lie.

Long way to go kids. Take a deep breath.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Ok.  We've discussed the pitching staff and how terrible it is, now let's look at the flip side of the coin - the offense.

As of this morning the Sox are:

Runs - 1st

Hits - 2nd (Detroit is first)

Doubles - 1st

Triples -1st

HR's - 6th (The only surprise there is that they're that high, and if Naps goes on another streak that could change immediately)

Total Bases - 1st

RBI's - 1st

Team BA - 2nd (Those pesky Tigers again!)

Team OBP - 1st

Team Slg - 2nd (Baltimore)

Team OPS - 1st

The team is in first place in what's arguably the toughest division in baseball and they will be when they leave KC, no matter what happens.

I have no delusions about this team's ability to hit really good pitchers, especially those who throw with their left hand,  and I also have no delusions about this pitching staff.  What I do know is that this team still has an excellent chance to make the PS and once a team gets there anything can (and usually does) happen. 

If you think the only way a team is fun to watch is if they win a ring you're going to be disappointed a lot of years, no matter who your team is.  I find this team fun to watch and I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. 

and it's nice to see my tag line back. Smile

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Ok.  We've discussed the pitching staff and how terrible it is, now let's look at the flip side of the coin - the offense.

As of this morning the Sox are:

Runs - 1st

Hits - 2nd (Detroit is first)

Doubles - 1st

Triples -1st

HR's - 6th (The only surprise there is that they're that high, and if Naps goes on another streak that could change immediately)

Total Bases - 1st

RBI's - 1st

Team BA - 2nd (Those pesky Tigers again!)

Team OBP - 1st

Team Slg - 2nd (Baltimore)

Team OPS - 1st

The team is in first place in what's arguably the toughest division in baseball and they will be when they leave KC, no matter what happens.

I have no delusions about this team's ability to hit really good pitchers, especially those who throw with their left hand,  and I also have no delusions about this pitching staff.  What I do know is that this team still has an excellent chance to make the PS and once a team gets there anything can (and usually does) happen. 

If you think the only way a team is fun to watch is if they win a ring you're going to be disappointed a lot of years, no matter who your team is.  I find this team fun to watch and I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride. 

and it's nice to see my tag line back. Smile

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I admit it will be fun to watch a little postseason baseball, even if we don't win a ring. We might even be able to bash our way into the playoffs with our mediocre pitching. If Breakholz can make it back and pitch effectively we could even go deep into the playoffs. As long as we get in and past a wildcard game (ie no one and out) it will be fun to watch.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Veteran guys who have been there before (playoffs) usually take their game up a notch come playoff time.

Buchholz threw from a mound (40 pitches) said its the best he has felt. this week he will throw a simulated game then rehab starts.

Id rather the young kids in the pen have a hiccup or 2 now and deal with it, rather then late in September. Im sure the Sox will put a couple more arms in the pen and see how they do. I still like Britton and RDLR in that pen regardless of their recent performances.

Im not getting all wound up and freaking out like a few of you because I never even expected them to be this good. I believe they will make the playoffs, which is more than I expected this year. I think its more than any of us did. I believe they have a team that could win it all, regardless of the last couple games. I also believe Ben has proved he knows what hes doing and will do whats needed to go deep into the playoffs and hopefully win another ring. Once the playoffs get here, its a whole new ballgame. Enjoy the ride.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Good Teams expose weaknesses, Sox and Ben better reevaluate this Bullpen quickly. Amazes me that all the negative talk about Lester that nobody here is ranking on Rubby, with this team down 3, the way they play this year 3 Run Homer not out of question. But those 2 Dingers he gave up in 8th, made it where the Sox had to hit a 5 run Homer, still looking for that.
    There lies the problem. Stop worrying about the bats, this team can hit, problem is 6-8 innings and Bullpen.
    This rotation is 6, occasioanlly 7, rarely 8 inning, rotation, you see what I'm getting at.

Excellent commentary.

Fans  are too busy deciding as to whether Peavy is a 2 or a 3 and getting caught up in situational stats to notice the obvious flaws.  The Sox are going to rely on their bullpen for another 100 or so innings this year, and this can result in more losses than the few ga mes they have left against outstanding lefties...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think you guys are short-changing Peavy.  He's got a 1.12 WHIP over the last two years.  That's the same as Felix Hernandez and Hiroki Kuroda.  Only a handful of pitchers in the AL have been better over that time-frame.

Even if Buchholz comes back healthy, I'm not sure Peavy's not our best pitcher right now.

As for the pen, Drake Britton did a great job, but he's not MLB-ready.  Franklin Morales will be activated today.  We probably won't see much more of Britton.  Matt Thornton is a couple of week away, and Buchholz reportedly is making progress, which will send one of our rotation arms to the pen.  I think the bullpen will be OK.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Thats funny DC, one bad game out of Peavy and hes not that good?  How about putting some blame on bums like Napoli and a catcher who base runners steal at will against.  KC is one of the hottest teams in the league, we can't hit lefties at the moment and continue to strand runners every inning so there is a lot of blame to go around.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I hate the idea of wasting Buchholtz in a couple of rehab starts. Why not use him out of the pen for a couple of inning a few times.

My dad told me that's what they used to do back in the '40s. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

I hate the idea of wasting Buchholtz in a couple of rehab starts. Why not use him out of the pen for a couple of inning a few times.

My dad told me that's what they used to do back in the '40s. 

it is usually a good idea to listen to your dad.