Peavy off to San Fran ---

For one LH and one RH pitching prospects

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Peavy off to San Fran ---

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They couldn't squeeze out a outfielder? Better yet they should have demanded a 2nd baseman? Good move I guess? They really hate finding a decent young minor league outfielder. Heck they got so many now. Shortage of pitchers lets start stocking a few.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pete AbrahamVerified account
    ‏@PeteAbe
    Baseball America had Escobar second in its rankings and Hembree 7th

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

‏@PeteAbe
    The 2 prospects obtained from the Giants for Peavy are ranked in the top 10 in the SF system. Surprisingly good return,

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

‏@PeteAbe
    The 2 prospects obtained from the Giants for Peavy are ranked in the top 10 in the SF system. Surprisingly good return,

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Agreed.  For less than a half season as a rental for Peavey!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He can take the duck boat out in the bay. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

:o)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]
    He can float that duck boat in SanFran bay...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

‏@PeteAbe
    If the Giants win the WS maybe Jake Peavy will buy a McCovey Cove kayak to add to his Alabama flotilla.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They couldn't squeeze out a outfielder? Better yet they should have demanded a 2nd baseman? Good move I guess? They really hate finding a decent young minor league outfielder. Heck they got so many now. Shortage of pitchers lets start stocking a few.

[/QUOTE]

Because this gave them better talent.  They can always go out and trade for an outfielder, it's not as if they HAVE to get an outfielder from SF.

San Franciscos top outfield prospect is Mac Williamson.  He is actually a decent prospect but is not regarded as highly as Escobar.  Interesting enough Williamson was drafted by the Sox in 2011 but declined and went to school.  He hit 25 HR's in A ball, but he's also been there as a 22/23 year old which isn't old but not exactly age advanced either.  And he's striking out there 22% of the time,  He crushes mistakes but has trouble with high velocity offerings leading most scouts to question his ability to hit at a higher level.  I would have loved him over Humbree, but you don't get Escobar and Williamson....you could flip Escobar for someone better.

This all comes down to what I've been saying all along, Power is nothing without hit tool.  The Sox made a good trade.

You want an outfielder???? don't look for Bostons solution in San Francisco.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Smart move by SF the ballpark suits Jake. Wish him the best. The Prospects, ehhhhh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Gary Brown would have been an intriguing option out of San Francisco.  He was a once highly  regarded outfield prospect who fell apart in the upper minors but is having a decent year in AAA this year.  He's ranked lower than Hembree, and doesn't have any MLB experience but I would've taken him over Hembree, but no way I would ever take him over Escobar, who is the real gem in this trade.  My guess is even though Hembree is ranked higher, that SF internally may value Brown more and now that he is starting to swing a better bat they are less willing to deal him.

We got a guy who could be a middle of the rotation starter, and another guy who has closer potential.  And we know BEN is stocking trade chips right now.

Don't worry.....and outfielder is coming, if not by July 31st then over the winter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Escobar is ranked high as a prospect but he's been toiling in the minors for 6 seasons.  He's had a lousy year in AAA Fresno this year.  

This is why I don't lend credence to this "ether" of ranking criteria.  It's another hit or miss.  So, keep throwing them on the wall and see what sticks….I dunno...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Sorry take that back Escobar looks promising. He's 3-1 in K's to BB's in his career. Young too. He's having tough year this year. 16 HRS, more hits than innings Pitched.
    Giants don't lollygag, they will bring kids up fast. So he's in an between year. This is interesting, could be a sleeper.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Escobar is ranked high as a prospect but he's been toiling in the minors for 6 seasons.  He's had a lousy year in AAA Fresno this year.  

This is why I don't lend credence to this "ether" of ranking criteria.  It's another hit or miss.  So, keep throwing them on the wall and see what sticks….I dunno...

[/QUOTE]

In the end it's the stats.  If you are performing.....the stats show it.  They can be more indicative than predictive.  But scouting means something...you can't just look at stats in a small sample size when a guy is struggling and immediately assume they aren't worth anything.

Remember, these aren't finished products. Yes, he's been in the minors for 6 years but he started off in Dominican ball as an international signee, those guys start playing organizational ball 2-5 years earlier than high school/college draftees.

Trust the scouting....he's a good player.  Now there is some truth to your words, scouts are wrong and players don't always pan out.  But tools are tools, if you can run you can run, if you can hit a ball 450 feet you can hit a ball 450 feet, if you can spin a breaking ball you can spin a breaking ball...again tools are tools...so don't discount the scouting either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Trading a player like Peavy, the SOX were lucky to get anything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That an old Italian trick. Throw the Spaghetti against the wall; if it sticks, it's done. Lucchino is Italian.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Interesting stat nugget on Peavy - his career mark against the Dodgers is 14-2 with a 2.21 ERA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

2013 year interesting, jumped 2 levels and did good. Age means squat at the International Signings, Cards signed Tavares when he was 15. He's 21 now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting stat nugget on Peavy - his career mark against the Dodgers is 14-2 with a 2.21 ERA.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. That might have something to do with the trade. But I think most of that came back when Peavy was really good, and the Dodgers were not. Things have changed on both fronts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]. That might have something to do with the trade. But I think most of that came back when Peavy was really good, and the Dodgers were not. Things have changed on both fronts.

[/QUOTE]

And yet, one of the wins came last August 25, while in a Sox uniform - a complete game 3-hitter in LA, no less.

It's a funny old game, gale.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Peavy gets tested tonight in a National Game--good luck--thanks for the help with the pennant drive and WS.

Sections
Shortcuts