Peavy produces right away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Peavy produces right away

Plus he looks like Jeremy Renner.

I want to hear him say "Whose cah we takin'?"

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Hated to see him get charged with another run in the 8th, but still a great effort. Hope he pitches a lot more games like tonight's between now and October.

RSN has to like this trade; of course, you have to give up something to get something. What a difference a season makes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hated to see him get charged with another run in the 8th, but still a great effort. Hope he pitches a lot more games like tonight's between now and October.

RSN has to like this trade; of course, you have to give up something to get something. What a difference a season makes.

[/QUOTE]

and a manager

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Still don't know what would be done if Drew goes down. Is Bogaerts major league ready with the glove? 

This is a legitimate concern.  This is the main reason why I was against ideas of trading Drew before. 

Kudos to Peavy for a great start last night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and a manager

[/QUOTE]

How could I forget that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Completely missed your thread before creating another, sorry flapjack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Still don't know what would be done if Drew goes down. Is Bogaerts major league ready with the glove? 

This is a legitimate concern.  This is the main reason why I was against ideas of trading Drew before. 

Brock Holt can play SS and 2nd, which I believe was why, he was called up. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Brock Holt can play SS and 2nd, which I believe was why, he was called up. 

and honestly, Holt has a terrific glove and a decent bat. Im sure if something bad happened to Drew Bogey might be forced into action. Sorry, but id rather have more pitching depth and deal with an injury to my SS IF it even happens.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Plus he looks like Jeremy Renner.

Haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

and honestly, Holt has a terrific glove and a decent bat. Im sure if something bad happened to Drew Bogey might be forced into action. Sorry, but id rather have more pitching depth and deal with an injury to my SS IF it even happens.

I would too. I'm just saying it's a legitimate concern. While the FO obviously has a great deal of confidence in Bogaerts, I'm sure they would rather not rush him up, and there is no guarantee of how he will perform. I think he would be fine, but you never know.

Holt could fill in at SS now and then, but I don't see him as an everyday SS

I've said many times that I like this trade, so I'm not complaining, but again, it's a legitimate concern.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I would too. I'm just saying it's a legitimate concern. While the FO obviously has a great deal of confidence in Bogaerts, I'm sure they would rather not rush him up, and there is no guarantee of how he will perform. I think he would be fine, but you never know.

Holt could fill in at SS now and then, but I don't see him as an everyday SS

I've said many times that I like this trade, so I'm not complaining, but again, it's a legitimate concern.

[/QUOTE]

I agree its a concern. Moves like this always have their risks. Its good to see BC is willing to take a risk to possibly bring another Championship to Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oh, certainly. Iggy is now under tremendous pressure to produce every game now. This outing by Peavy proves that the trade was worth it. Just like that idiotic thread about Iggy producing right away causing pressure on Peavy to produce.

One game proves nothing.

The trade may end up helping all 3 teams: some in the short term (BOS)- some in the longterm (CWS)- some in both (DET).

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Go back to include Peavy's poor 2011 season and...

out of 152 pitchers with 250+ IP (avg 5 per team):

WAR

25 Lester  8.9

26 Peavy  8.8

46 Demp  6.5

59 Buchh  5.5

77 Doub   4.3

99 Lack    3.8

ERA-

27 Buchh  85

46 Peavy  93

61 Lester 100

91 Demp  104

94 Doub   105

133 Lack  118

WHIP

20 Peavy  1.14

55 Buchh  1.25

99 Lester  1.33

116 Demp 1.37

132 Lack   1.44

135 Doub  1.45

Updated after last night (2012-2013):

Peavy:

22 in WAR at 5.8

24 in ERA- at 85

9 in WHIP at 1.10

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

lol i don't know man. I dont think they are that similar. However I can see the mild resemblance.

I love this move for Peavy. Give us an instant leader in the clubhouse. This reminds me of Haladay going to Philly a few years ago.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

You really could not ask for a better outing from Peavy. He seems like quite the character. It was a little disconcerting to see him talking to himself...but hey if it works..it works. I was glad to see him do well. 

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

You really could not ask for a better outing from Peavy. He seems like quite the character. It was a little disconcerting to see him talking to himself...but hey if it works..it works. I was glad to see him do well. 

Reminds me of when Clemens was heatedly "talking to himself" in that playoff game and was ejected.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

He always does that. I love it...Shows his competitiveness. Hes a gamer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Jake Peavy @JakePeavy_44       

Today was my grandmother (who recently just passed) birthday! Thank u Red Sox Nation for making a tough day very special for me & family!

Jake Peavy @JakePeavy_44              

Tonight is just 1 win, but it's 1 I'll never forget!! I Look forward to being a part of this great family going forward! Thank u to all!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Some context to the numbers of 2012-2013:

Peavy's 85 ERA- is the same as Bumgarner, better than Wainwright, and just one point behind Shields, Fister and A Sanchez.

Only 9 pitchers have a better WHIP since 2012: Kershaw, Jose Fernandez, Weaver, Bumgarner, C Lee, Price, Minor, and Cain. He's the same or better than Sale, Felix, Scherzer, Kuroda, and more. 

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Peavy is a very good pitcher. Short term, he could help the team win it all. Long term, there is a big chance of health problems. Have to reserve judgement to see how he holds up through the grind and pressure of a pennant race. Good Luck to him.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to notin's comment:

So is the pressure back on Iglesias now?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

The ball, yes, is in Iggy's court. The universe may collapse when Detroit comes to Fenway at the end of this month. Worlds are colliding!

Sections
Shortcuts