Peavy to the A's?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Re: Peavy to the A's?

Buritto, there is no doubt in my mind that Ben is doing his absolute best to get another starter.    The problem is that it's probably not as easy as we expect.   Money may be an issue, the player would prefer to play under less pressure, personality may not fit with the clubhouse etc., etc.

I read where F. Rodriguez who signed with the Orioles was once arrested for beating up his girlfriends father.  I wonder if this was a factor in our efforts to pursue him?

So, there's probably a lot of behind the scenes scnarios happening that we're completely oblivious of.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's rumored that a big reason the A's are in on Peavy is that they're expecting Colon to be suspended. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Sounds like Boston is still very much in it for Peavy...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/jake-peavy-rumors-monday.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Buritto, there is no doubt in my mind that Ben is doing his absolute best to get another starter.    The problem is that it's probably not as easy as we expect.   Money may be an issue, the player would prefer to play under less pressure, personality may not fit with the clubhouse etc., etc.

I read where F. Rodriguez who signed with the Orioles was once arrested for beating up his girlfriends father.  I wonder if this was a factor in our efforts to pursue him?

So, there's probably a lot of behind the scenes scnarios happening that we're completely oblivious of.

There is always a lot going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of.  How many times has a deal been made that no one knew was coming?  Not everything gets leaked to the press before it happens.

The act of balancing the short term with the long term is more difficult than I think most people realize.  Things are not as simple as giving up player A for player B.  Front offices are not only considering the players that are involved in any particular trade, they are also considering things like who might be a free agent 2 years down the line that could impact said trade either positively or negatively.

In short, just because a deal doesn't get made, it doesn't mean that Ben didn't try very diligently to get something done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

I'd be suprised if Peavy goes to the A's. The A's have more starting pitching than anybody. At the ML level everybody's still in the rotation. They're trying to get innings for other BP pitchers beyond Cook, Doolittle and Balfour. They're all healthy and solid right now. Plus they have (3) guys at AAA waiting to come up in Sept. or sooner if needed. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Even if Peavy heads to Oakland there are good alternatives still on the market. Ervin Santana being one of them.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We 101% need a starter with at least the capabilities of Peavy.

Is Workman, so far, not 101% of Peavy?

Assuming Buchholz returns, who goes to the BP?  Based on ERA, it has to be Peavy, right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I think Brett Anderson will be back from the DL for the A's.  Even if Bartolo Colon gets suspended, I think the A's will stay put.  

As for the Red Sox, I do not want them to pursue Cliff Lee.  I want the Red Sox to hold onto their top prospects that will help the club a lot down the road.  Do NOT go all-in with a 35-year-old who is owed a lot of money (Cliff Lee).  

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you do not make.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I think Brett Anderson will be back from the DL for the A's.  Even if Bartolo Colon gets suspended, I think the A's will stay put.  

As for the Red Sox, I do not want them to pursue Cliff Lee.  I want the Red Sox to hold onto their top prospects that will help the club a lot down the road.  Do NOT go all-in with a 35-year-old who is owed a lot of money (Cliff Lee).  

Lee is American League tested and has beaten good teams in that division. Not all prospects are success stories. Remember Brian Rose, Eric Hetzel, Rey Quinones, Jeff Ledbetter, Ken Ryan, vaugh Eshelman.  I remember all these guys in the Red Sox farm system. There are more failures than success stories.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lee is American League tested and has beaten good teams in that division. Not all prospects are success stories. Remember Brian Rose, Eric Hetzel, Rey Quinones, Jeff Ledbetter, Ken Ryan, vaugh Eshelman.  I remember all these guys in the Red Sox farm system. There are more failures than success stories.

[/QUOTE]

Hello AL34  Laughing

I agree with what you are saying.  But I do not want the Red Sox to eat a big chunk of Lee's salary AND give up perhaps two top prospects (e.g. Bogaert and Bradley Jr.) for a 35-year-old who happens to be a very good pitcher.

I would not be surprised if the Red Sox did trade for Cliff Lee.  The Red Sox tend to make big splashes during the trading deadline such as the Nomar trade, trying to get A-Rod, the blockbuster with the Dodgers last year, etc.  I guess we will see.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know this would never happen with the position we are in but I would love to see the sox sell se pieces right now.  With so few seller, some teams are bound to bring in a haul this week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I know this would never happen with the position we are in but I would love to see the sox sell se pieces right now.  With so few seller, some teams are bound to bring in a haul this week.

And end up a 500 team?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I am not 100% against this. I think in theory the Sox could trade most of these players.......Iggy or Drew Nava or Ellsbury and Napoli and Dempster and possibly improve the team and get younger all at the same time. Bring up Bogaerts and Bradley. Of course, none of those trades will happen though. None of those guys will be dealt. Its one pitcher added for prospects I am guessing. Hopefully not too many prospects. Hopefully not Michael Young either. I think I might get more angry if we got Young for nothing then I would be if we somewhat over payed for a pitcher. Bewildering, their interest in him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Peavy is not that much better than what we have.   Injury history also.  Lee would be the big prize.  If we were willing to pick up his salary ( a big if ), we might be able to save our top prospects. I would rate Bogaerts, Bradley and Cecchini  as our top position players. Would like to keep them. I would rate Owens , Barnes and Ranaudo as our top pitchers. Would like to keep them.  Would offer guys like Brentz, Marrero, Webster, DeLaRosa and Workman.  See if that would do it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

And end up a 500 team?

[/QUOTE]

See BMavs response...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I am a bit concerned about Cliff Lee. He pitched poorly his last 3 starts giving up 24 hits, 8 homers, and 13 earned runs in 19 innings. In his last of those starts, he had his worst velocity of the last 3 seasons. Then he misses his next start. Then says he will see a doctor. Then goes on the trading block. Nobody concerned about paying somebody in that situation more then anybody in baseball and giving up prospects aswell?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Yaz's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Peavy is not that much better than what we have. Lee would be the big prize. If we were to pick up his salary, we might be able to save our top prospects. I would rate Bogaerts, Bradley and Cecchini  as our top position players. Would like to keep them. I would rate Owens , Barnes and Ranaudo as our top pitchers. Would like to keep them.  Would offer guys like Brentz, Marrero, Webster, DeLaRosa and Workman.  See if that would do it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

My concern is Lee's age[ I think it is around 33]. Also, I think we should keep Workman. Actually, if the Red Sox were to have[ let's say Britton] become a solid starter, I would try Workman in the closer's role[ similar with what they did with Paps early on and years back with Gordon]. I think Workman has the intangibles to be a closer.

[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking the opposite.  Workman as a 4th 5th guy maybe even a swing man and Britton as a setup guy closer.  Workman has a much more diverse mix of pitches while Britton only really throws two pitches but one of them is really good....I mean that fastball is electric! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I am a bit concerned about Cliff Lee. He pitched poorly his last 3 starts giving up 24 hits, 8 homers, and 13 earned runs in 19 innings. In his last of those starts, he had his worst velocity of the last 3 seasons. Then he misses his next start. Then says he will see a doctor. Then goes on the trading block. Nobody concerned about paying somebody in that situation more then anybody in baseball and giving up prospects aswell?

I am....I'm very concerned.  At the end of the day there is not one player in baseball the sox can trade for who will help the Sox win a WS with this team we have NOW stepping it up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Yaz's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

Peavy is not that much better than what we have. Lee would be the big prize. If we were to pick up his salary, we might be able to save our top prospects. I would rate Bogaerts, Bradley and Cecchini  as our top position players. Would like to keep them. I would rate Owens , Barnes and Ranaudo as our top pitchers. Would like to keep them.  Would offer guys like Brentz, Marrero, Webster, DeLaRosa and Workman.  See if that would do it.

Stabbed by Foulke.

My concern is Lee's age[ I think it is around 33]. Also, I think we should keep Workman. Actually, if the Red Sox were to have[ let's say Britton] become a solid starter, I would try Workman in the closer's role[ similar with what they did with Paps early on and years back with Gordon]. I think Workman has the intangibles to be a closer.

[/QUOTE]

• Could be. Both Britton and Workman have done well.  I think the guys we got from the Dodgers may have been a little overrated. The performance has not matched the hype. Other teams will be asking about Lee. We would have to make a good offer if we really want him.  If we are talking about winning it all this year , I think Lee is the best option.  Not sure if it would be worth the cost in dollars and/or prospects. Anyway, I don't see Peavy as that much of an upgrade. And he would cost plenty also.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, and I had tons of these guys' rookie cards, all stored nicely within individual sleeves, tucked gently into boxes, with the anticipation of the future $$$ I was going to reap.....

Now, my sons use the cards to draw on or place in stacks based on pose and action stances.  Good for recycling is all they are!

Sections
Shortcuts