PEAVY's PEAVED: another example of y FARRELL>TITO?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaysofYaz. Show DaysofYaz's posts

Re: PEAVY's PEAVED: another example of y FARRELL>TITO?

Then he puts in a guy with suspect control to pitch in the bottom of the ninth with bases juiced...ball one, ball two,  ball three, ball four GAME OVER

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

Then he puts in a guy with suspect control to pitch in the bottom of the ninth with bases juiced...ball one, ball two,  ball three, ball four GAME OVER

Does he and nieves dont know about villareal control problem.?...gosh, Farrell is just incompetent!...why not Uehara to get one out and pitch the tenth...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I could care less that Breslow came in to face a LHH, he shut them down for 1.1 IP and only used 7 pitches to do it. What has me completely baffled is why you bring in a guy with a 20.77ERA and known control issues with the game on the line and the bases loaded??? Where was Uehara?
    ANYONE else but Brayan Villareal. Are you kidding farrell???

Once again this guy proves he has no clue when it comes to a pitching staff. Stick with pitching coach because only an idiot would make a move like that and believe we had a chance. At this rate we wont make the playoffs if Farrell keeps up with these boneheaded pitching moves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Farrell stated in his press conference that he was saving Uehara for the save situation, if the sox had gone ahead. Which is exactly what every manager does on the road with it closers in a tie game. He also made clear that Workman was not available due to having pitched in the previous two, he'd already used Breslow and had the game gone extra innings he had to save someone to give him length which was probably going to be Britton. 

Tazawa in his last 12 appearances has given up 2 earned runs while striking out 11 and walking 1 with a 1.46 era cleary he's struggling. Or perhaps he just had a bad game? In the end it came down to Morales and Villareal both failing to do their job which is to throw the ball over the plate. If we have to affix blame on Farrel for not putting in his closer and or for putting Villareal into the game after Morales couldn't throw a strike. I'm sure he's fine with that...perhaps we can also blame Victorino for catching a foul ball and allowing the tying run to score then killed him in effigy when on the very next pitch Posey goes yard...or Peavy for failing to get deeper in the game allowing Farrel to keep his bullpen rotation in order for the late innings. 

Hindsight is always 20-20 and if Farrel had the luxury of hindsight, like we do after the game is done. Then I!m pretty sure if he'd have known that Villareal would walk in the winning run on four pitches. My guess is he'd have chosen to leave Morales in and taken his chances with him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Farrell stated in his press conference that he was saving Uehara for the save situation, if the sox had gone ahead. Which is exactly what every manager does on the road with it closers in a tie game. He also made clear that Workman was not available due to having pitched in the previous two, he'd already used Breslow and had the game gone extra innings he had to save someone to give him length which was probably going to be Britton. 

Tazawa in his last 12 appearances has given up 2 earned runs while striking out 11 and walking 1 with a 1.46 era cleary he's struggling. Or perhaps he just had a bad game? In the end it came down to Morales and Villareal both failing to do their job which is to throw the ball over the plate. If we have to affix blame on Farrel for not putting in his closer and or for putting Villareal into the game after Morales couldn't throw a strike. I'm sure he's fine with that...perhaps we can also blame Victorino for catching a foul ball and allowing the tying run to score then killed him in effigy when on the very next pitch Posey goes yard...or Peavy for failing to get deeper in the game allowing Farrel to keep his bullpen rotation in order for the late innings. 

Hindsight is always 20-20 and if Farrel had the luxury of hindsight, like we do after the game is done. Then I!m pretty sure if he'd have known that Villareal would walk in the winning run on four pitches. My guess is he'd have chosen to leave Morales in and taken his chances with him.

So you think it was a good move huh Bean? I guess everything farrell and the Sox do is right too?

Ya know, its not against the rules for Koji to get 4 outs. You know that right? Not go with a guy who has known control issues and put him in that situation. He was set up to fail, not put in the best situation to succeed. Farrell can do no wrong with some of you guys. Sorry, but he made a very bad move.

And spare me the hindsight BS Bean. I said it was the wrong move when he started warming up.

Its amazing how some of you will defend every single move. I always try to be understanding about every move made, my history of posts will back that up, but this was was just wrong. Theres no defending it. Uehara was the best choice to get the job done. If he didnt do it, then at least you know you gave the team the best chance to win. Villareal was the worst possible choice in that situation. End of story and stop trying to defend it.

I know the situation and who was available. Bad move. End of story.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Tito has 2 rings Farrell has none. End of story. 

Tito > Farrell. 

Let Farrell win something. 

Farrell has some strengths as well, and glad he's our manager but let's see him out-manage the Yanks in the postseason with it all on the line first. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

if he didn't want to use workman 3 days in a row,why did he use him monday with a 7 run lead!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to DaysofYaz's comment:

Does he and nieves dont know about villareal control problem.?...gosh, Farrell is just incompetent!...why not Uehara to get one out and pitch the tenth...

Call him ... Why b..itch to us.?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

"I say too bad about Peavy and the next time you make some remarks about my decisions, which I am eventually responsible for, we will have an extended talk.

We needed out of the inning and as the manager I felt Breslow was the right guy. I happened to be right."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

That was Francoma dumb....no ned to spin it any other way

As always - 100% correct!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to udontnojack's comment:

if he didn't want to use workman 3 days in a row,why did he use him monday with a 7 run lead!!

Bingo, he only has 3 or 4 in the pen he trusts. Then with a 7-0 lead he thows Workman, one of the few he trusts. That cost the Sox big time

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Farrell is getting his baptism of fire in managing in a pennant race . It is new territory for him. Obviously , he made some mistakes last night. The pressure is on him and on the players. First place is gone and the wild card contenders are closing in.  We need better managing and better performance from the players. And, we need it soon. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to udontnojack's comment:

Very good question, unfortunately.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

The question is, can Farrell learn from his mistakes in time to help this team get back on the winning track.

Learning and improving for next year isn't good enough.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Farrell had a very bad night, from the lineup (no Ortiz, Salty or Drew?) to yanking Peavy too early to the real head-scratcher of inserting a reliever who was averaging two walks per IP with the bases loaded. I understand the logic of wanting to save Koji for a save situation, but we needed to get that out to keep playing. He should have come in that spot, IMO.

I'm not ripping Farrell ... he's been great, and he knows the game a lot better than any of us. But those moves, especially the final one, made no sense to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"You're supposed to help us, NOT f**k us up".

-ricky roma

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Many posters (always in hindsight) expect the manager to magically know when the starter is about to give up runs and to take him out in the nick of time...had Peavy stayed in the game and lost the lead, you can bet someone would be asking why he wasn't pulled after the double. He had pitched very well and I would have kept him in personally, but that decision wasn't the reason we lost, and if the 8th and 9th innings go differently I doubt anyone would be complaining about it today.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to readsocks' comment:

are we surprised? Farrell is in way over his head. He makes more bad decisions on a nightly basis than  a prostitute.

So how do  you explain this team, picked last by just about everyone in the preseason, having occupied first place for about 90 percent of the season?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I want you all to get up now. Get up. Get up out of your chairs. Go to the window. Open it. Stick your head out and yell  " I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more. " I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more."

Stabbed by Foulke.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm not a Farrell basher by any stretch, but with this one it is hard to imagine what he was thinking. 

Uehara has the best control on the team, by a mile - the man's walked five batters all year.  Villareal the worst, again by a mile.  If he really needs a save situation to put Uehara in the game, then Uehara should not be the closer.  Even a bad closer can convert 4 of 5 chances.  Right now, our pen can't get to our closer.

Taking Peavy out I'm not as upset about because 1) Breslow did just fine and 2) Peavy twisted his ankle on a prior play, and Farrell may have just been being cautious.

One positive that came out of yesterday's game - Peavy looked great again.  Now we just have to get him some runs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

As soon as the Sox didnt score in the ninth it was game over. I turned it off and went to bed, and found exactly what I thought I would when I checked the score this morning. So.......I have no idea what you folks are talkin about with Villareal. Never saw a whisker of it. LOL

I also might be willing to bet money that Zito completely shuts them down today, and we lose two of three to another last place team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

southie, I agree with you to an extent, certainly bringing in Villareallybad was not bright. However, to bring in Koji in a tie game at a NL park would have or could have been a complete waste. Say he gets 4 outs and it's still tied and now it's extra innings, I think as a closer he has to be used in a closer spot--in this case. If the Sox scored a run in the top of the 11th or something, then there's your guy to close out a victory. 

On Peavy, no idea if pitch count or being tired or whatever influenced Farrell's coddling of him. Morales should have cruised and instead imploded twice being way ahead in the counts. If he does his job, then the game is still going. 

It's easy to rip apart Farrell, but criticizing him for not bringing in his closer is not one of them.

Sections
Shortcuts