PEAVY's PEAVED: another example of y FARRELL>TITO?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: PEAVY's PEAVED: another example of y FARRELL>TITO?

As discussed by the Giant announcers (via MLB), Peavy has this slider-ish pitch that back doors the inside corner vs Lefties. It's quite a pitch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

not trying to be a bootlicker here but yea JF messed up last nite - but he has done more than anyone to change the culture and expectations of this team....you could say Ben's signings have made a difference but on the field their performances have been mixed - the one constant is JF at the helm....believe....

As always - 100% correct!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

not trying to be a bootlicker here but yea JF messed up last nite - but he has done more than anyone to change the culture and expectations of this team....you could say Ben's signings have made a difference but on the field their performances have been mixed - the one constant is JF at the helm....believe....

As always - 100% correct!

I'd say it's closer to 50 percent, but you nailed this one.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

southie, I agree with you to an extent, certainly bringing in Villareallybad was not bright. However, to bring in Koji in a tie game at a NL park would have or could have been a complete waste. Say he gets 4 outs and it's still tied and now it's extra innings, I think as a closer he has to be used in a closer spot--in this case. If the Sox scored a run in the top of the 11th or something, then there's your guy to close out a victory. 

On Peavy, no idea if pitch count or being tired or whatever influenced Farrell's coddling of him. Morales should have cruised and instead imploded twice being way ahead in the counts. If he does his job, then the game is still going. 

It's easy to rip apart Farrell, but criticizing him for not bringing in his closer is not one of them.

I disagree.  Brayan Villareal has a BB/9 rate of 18.7.  How can you let him make his Red Sox debut with the bases loaded in a tie game on the road in the ninth inning?

Uehara had pitched one inning in the past seven days.  Worst-case scenerio with Uehara, you need to use him two days in a row before enjoying an off-day.    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

And the next day, Uehara pitches the final inning of a blowout, just because he needed some work.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

I like Farrell. There is nothing he's done all year I have a real issue with...except.
    Putting in Villareal with the bases loaded was off-the-wall. His control problems are so bad he doesn't belong on the team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If you recall, Farrell did just the opposite back on the 13th in Toronto. He brought Uehara into a tie game to get out of a jam in the 10th. Sox scored in the 11th and Koji closed it out to get the win. It worked out perfectly. Similar situation last night , and he brought in Villareal. An extremely questionable move. And, of course , it did not work out at all. No matter how much you spin it, it was a bad decision by Farrell.

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

southie, I agree with you to an extent, certainly bringing in Villareallybad was not bright. However, to bring in Koji in a tie game at a NL park would have or could have been a complete waste. Say he gets 4 outs and it's still tied and now it's extra innings, I think as a closer he has to be used in a closer spot--in this case. If the Sox scored a run in the top of the 11th or something, then there's your guy to close out a victory. 

The situation called for Uehara if they even wanted to have a chance. Britton should be given a clean inning the way he has pitched lately, Villareallybad was the last pitcher I put in there. Those were our 3 choices. And while I agree to the notion that on the road you dont use your closer like that, Yoiu need to adapt to the situation. If we wanted our best chance to win, Koji was going to do it for us. He finishes the 9th and throws the 10th. Then I let Britton give me 2-3IP. If it goes further, I go with Villareal in a clean inning.

On Peavy, no idea if pitch count or being tired or whatever influenced Farrell's coddling of him. Morales should have cruised and instead imploded twice being way ahead in the counts. If he does his job, then the game is still going. 

When Morales starts to lose it, he cant get it back. hes proved it time and time again. Once he starts to go, its over. Thats just who he is. Knowing this, once he walked the 2nd batter, I get Koji warming up. After he beans the batter, I pull him for Uehara.

It's easy to rip apart Farrell, but criticizing him for not bringing in his closer is not one of them.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one danny. Im not one to bash players or managers, but this move was beyond dumb IMHO.

Sections
Shortcuts