Pedro and Tek!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Pedro and Tek!

as a point of interest I want to throw it out there to the board as to what kind of impact will Jason and Pedro have on our team when ST starts. my opinion is that between the two of them there is a wealth of information and mentoring possibilities that they have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Re: Pedro and Tek!

Pedro is a rah rah guy and may motive some young guys,

Tek has proven to me when he was captain during the beer and fried chicken era that he doesn't have what it takes to be a leader.  He was a great catcher.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

Pedro is a rah rah guy and may motive some young guys,

Tek has proven to me when he was captain during the beer and fried chicken era that he doesn't have what it takes to be a leader.  He was a great catcher.

IMHO I don't think its about rah rah or being a leader as much as it is about mentoring and helping young players how to do things. Jim Ed still works with the kids right? call it PR if you want. I think this is great to help get this ship straightened out.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm very excited to have Pedro back in the fold. Even if he only slides into the Luis Tiant goodwill ambassador role, it's a smart move by the Sox to bring Pedro back home.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

IMHO I don't think its about rah rah or being a leader as much as it is about mentoring and helping young players how to do things. Jim Ed still works with the kids right? call it PR if you want. I think this is great to help get this ship straightened out.

They may help with a little with ST instruction, but the majority of their time will be spent making guest appearances and promo stuff.

Like I said, the bosox are trying to repair a tarnished product. What better way than to bring in two key members of the 2004 team?

But I am surprised, with all the credit that the nation bestows on tek for being a great leader, that he never gets any flack for failing to stand up during the chicken and beergate.

[/QUOTE]

He's caught plenty of that on this board. Mostly while you were on sabbatical.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

apparently most teams in MLB are doing it just for the PR then, because there are a lot of ex-players doing exactly what Tek, Pedey and Wake are going to do. So whats their excuse?

Tek was labeled as manager material by most on this board. Wake can obviously help out KB'er Steven Wright and Pedro has already worked with RDLR and could be very useful with the dominican training facility and our young pitchers.

Sure, its good PR, but to think thats the only reason is just being a "hater" IMO...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

apparently most teams in MLB are doing it just for the PR then, because there are a lot of ex-players doing exactly what Tek, Pedey and Wake are going to do. So whats their excuse?

Tek was labeled as manager material by most on this board. Wake can obviously help out KB'er Steven Wright and Pedro has already worked with RDLR and could be very useful with the dominican training facility and our young pitchers.

Sure, its good PR, but to think thats the only reason is just being a "hater" IMO...

obviously southpaw. would you expect anything positive from the dark side other than what zac said?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

obviously southpaw. would you expect anything positive from the dark side other than what zac said?

Hey Hammah!
    Its funny, because if I was to actually waste my time and "troll" on a teams site, I would at least try and have a little common sense before typing something. Then again, maybe looking intelligent isnt something they are worried about...

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

He's caught plenty of that on this board. Mostly while you were on sabbatical.

Nah, even though I was not posting at the time, I still read the forum often enough.

He pretty much got a free pass on the whole situation.

I remember reading the excuse that "he wasn't a starter any longer" so his impact was greatly reduced.

Just excuses, the bosox had no true team leaders at the time and it was very evident.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows what went on behind the doors except those who were there.  I'm not going to point the finger at Tek based on total speculation. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Having knowledge - the way 'Tek and Pedro do - isn't the same as being able to teach it to others.  At a minimum it will be good PR and motivational for young players;  hopefully that will not be all they provide.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think the attitude that Pedro and Tek are hired as consultants just to take the attention away from Francona's book, or to garner fan support is a bit jaded and underestimates what winning franchises do to maintain their winning ways.

The Yankees have always brought back winning players from championship teams to pass on their winning ways and perpetuate their chamionship traditions.  The Sox have not had many championship teams, and therefore have had few players they could bring back to perpetuate the championshp traditions they were part of.  In Tek and Pedro, they got two of the best to help in that regard.  It isn't my money, but it is money well spent, IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Flattiehater's comment:

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

as a point of interest I want to throw it out there to the board as to what kind of impact will Jason and Pedro have on our team when ST starts. my opinion is that between the two of them there is a wealth of information and mentoring possibilities that they have.

This may be a good move but love him or hate him (and I love the baseball guy) Curt Schilling's knowledge of the game, strategy, reading other players, and especially understanding how to pitch to individual hitters would make him a great coach and maybe even a manager someday. Whether he could have a positive clubhouse presence for the players, I don't know but he sure knows baseball.

He already talks too much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You take two of the most popular players with fans and you hire them as special assistants. This page is stolen right out of the Bruins/ Peter Chiarelli palybook ( Cam Neely).

Hey , it worked in hockey. But, I too feel this is all strictly PR. You know the majority of fans are looking desperately for something to feel good about, especially after the Francona media blitz providing these marketing sharks known a.k.a. baseball owners with even more negative press than they have brought upon themselves by being greedy moneygrabbers trying to capitalize on the short run of success.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

this is mostly a PR move after the past 2 disasterous seasons.

I agree, this proves Tito's point. (Not that it was any secret anyway.)

Sections
Shortcuts