Pedro Martinez has re-joined the Red Sox as Special Assistant to the GM!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Pedro Martinez has re-joined the Red Sox as Special Assistant to the GM!

That's good news, but do you have a link?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

BOSTON (CBS) — Pedro Martinez is back with the Red Sox.

The former pitching great and future Hall of Famer was named special assistant to general manager Ben Cherington, the team announced Thursday.

“I am thrilled to be returning to this organization and to the city I love,” Martinez said in a team release. “Ben Cherington’s meetings this week have been outstanding. It is an honor to be back with the Red Sox and help in any way I can.”

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to msobstinate99's comment:

WEEI had it.

Thank you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I thought Jason Varitek was his "specail assistant."

How many special assistant's does he need?

Maybe if he gets enough assistants they will spread the blame around evenly when the whole thing goes south....again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

Zillagod can turn pretty much anything into an opportunity for whining.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Maybe if he gets enough assistants they will spread the blame around evenly when the whole thing goes south....again.

Zill, surely you know a GM had about 50 underlings who do a great deal of work for him..

Theo had a bunch of them if im not mistaken. Hoyer, Braid, Cherry etc..

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Everyone marvelled at the amazing beasts that came out of Monster Island.  But no one bothered to investigate the long-term effects of all that radiation.  Now, we are seeing the terrible results.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

printe-mailRed Sox Press Release 01/24/2013 12:39 PM ET Pedro Martinez re-joins Red Sox as Special Assistant to the General Manager The Boston Red Sox today brought back Pedro Martinez into the organization, naming him as Special Assistant to the General Manager. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ben Cherington. "We are very excited to have Pedro onboard with us and back in the Red Sox organization," said Cherington. "He was one of the game's most dominant pitchers and without a doubt a beloved figure in Red Sox history. Similar to former teammate Jason Varitek, who joined the baseball operations staff in September, Pedro will be involved in several areas, including the evaluation, mentorship, and instruction of young players in Spring Training and throughout the season." Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner and eight-time All-Star, spent seven seasons with the Red Sox beginning in 1998 and was a key part of the 2004 team that brought a World Series title to Boston for the first time since 1918. "I am thrilled to be returning to this organization and to the city I love," Martinez said. "Ben Cherington's meetings this week have been outstanding. It is an honor to be back with the Red Sox and help in any way I can. I am grateful to our leaders; I believe in them, and I thank them for allowing me to return to the field and help us win again. My heart will always live in Boston." During his 18-year major league career, the native of the Dominican Republic went 219-100 with a 2.93 ERA and 3,154 strikeouts in 2,827.1 innings. His career .687 winning percentage ranks second among modern Major Leaguers (since 1900) behind only Whitey Ford's .690 mark (min. 250 decisions). Among pitchers with at least 2,500 career innings in the majors, only Nolan Ryan (.204) has a lower opponent batting average than Martinez (.214). With the Red Sox, he went 117-37 with a 2.52 ERA. He has the best winning percentage in franchise history (.760, min. 15 decisions). He also tops club records (min. 1,000 innings) with an average of 11.0 strikeouts per nine innings and a .206 opponent batting average. Among Red Sox all-time leaders, he ranks third in strikeouts (1,683), sixth in wins (117), and seventh in ERA. In his tenure with Boston, Martinez was the major league leader in winning percentage, ERA, opponent batting average, opponent on-base percentage (.261), opponent slugging percentage (.317), opponent OPS (.578), and WHIP (0.98). He also led all major leaguers in strikeouts per nine innings, the only American Leaguer to average at least a strikeout per inning during that stretch. He was the starter, winner, and Most Valuable Player of the memorable 1999 All-Star Game at Fenway Park on July 13. He struck out the first four batters he faced: Barry Larkin, Larry Walker, Mark McGwire, and Sammy Sosa. After Matt Williams reached on an error, he then struck out Jeff Bagwell. Williams was then caught stealing to end the inning and the seal the performance. In his career, Martinez led the Major Leagues in ERA on five occasions, including 1997 with the Expos (1.90) and four times during his first five years as a member of the Red Sox: 1999 (2.07), 2000 (1.74), 2002 (2.26), and 2003 (2.22). He won the AL's strikeout title in 1999 (313), 2000 (284), and 2002 (239). Martinez finished within the top four in AL Cy Young balloting in each of his six full seasons with the Red Sox (with the exception coming in 2001, when he was limited to 18 starts due to injury). Martinez was the unanimous winner of the American League's Cy Young Award in consecutive seasons--1999 and 2000. Winning the AL pitching Triple Crown in 1999, he fanned a Red Sox-record 313 batters in 213.1 innings, and set a league record that still stands with an average of 13.2 strikeouts per nine innings. That year, he also set a big league record striking out at least 10 batters in eight consecutive games. His 1.74 ERA in 2000 is the best single-season mark by an American League pitcher over the last 44 seasons (starting in 1969). In 2000, he established modern major league records for lowest opponent average (.167), lowest opponent on-base percentage (.213), and WHIP (0.74). Among all Dominican-born pitchers, Martinez has the highest winning percentage, most strikeouts, and ranks second only to Hall of Famer Juan Marichal in both wins and ERA. Signed originally in 1988 by the Los Angeles Dodgers, for whom he played in 1992 and '93, Martinez also played for the Montreal Expos ('94-'97), the Red Sox ('98-'04), the New York Mets ('05-'08), and the Philadelphia Phillies ('09). Martinez made a Red Sox-record 11 starts in four seasons of postseason play with Boston and compiled a 3.46 ERA in his 13 outings. He is also the franchise's all-time leader in wins (tied, 6), strikeouts (80), and innings pitched (79.1) in the postseason. Martinez's last game for the Red Sox was in the 2004 World Series, in which he allowed the Cardinals no runs in seven innings in the club's 4-1 win in Game 3. His last game in the majors was also in the World Series, in 2009, as Philadelphia lost to the New York Yankees.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Everyone marvelled at the amazing beasts that came out of Monster Island.  But no one bothered to investigate the long-term effects of all that radiation.  Now, we are seeing the terrible results.  

And where does he get off calling himself the king of monsters when Mothra kicks his butt 3 out of 5 times?

She's the queen of monsters, and they are not married.  Ergo, Godzilla is a fake king.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

And where does he get off calling himself the king of monsters when Mothra kicks his butt 3 out of 5 times.

She's the queen of monsters, and they are not married.  Ergo, Godzilla is a fake king.

No doubt Drewski.  The emperor has no scales.  Not to mention, you go into battle with a defeatist attitude like Zilla has had these past couple years, you can be sure of defeat.  Ergo, I bet even Godzuki could put a whoopin on him these days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

wow, Pedro,Tek and Pappi reunited. sounds like their putting the band back together again so to speak. now all we need is Kevin Malahhhhhhhh to be the commish of attitude. man, what Pedi could teach these kids is hugh. I'm fkn lovin this man!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

This is pretty exciting news.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

wow, Pedro,Tek and Pappi reunited. sounds like their putting the band back together again so to speak. now all we need is Kevin Malahhhhhhhh to be the commish of attitude. man, what Pedi could teach these kids is hugh. I'm fkn lovin this man!

Pedro:  "Hey Brentz - What the hell is that?  Frozen pina colada mix?  No no no.  This is the Red Sox clubhouse.  Gotta be fresh kid.  And double the rum.  Where the heck is Millar anyway?  I can't school these kids by myself."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Pedro:  "Hey Brentz - What the hell is that?  Frozen pina colada mix?  No no no.  This is the Red Sox clubhouse.  Gotta be fresh kid.  And double the rum.  Where the heck is Millar anyway?  I can't school these kids by myself."

I was hoping that we would fire Bobby V in August and have Kevin Millar manage the team in September.  Change the culture, enjoy the last month , and start fresh next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Did Zimmer threaten BC?  Pedro is secret service.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I read that Pedro was instrumental in getting the FO to get Big Papi on the team. I hope he hasn't lost his eye for untapped talent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Or maybe they will sign JDamon to be the backup 1B/OF

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Pedro was a "difficult" player who wanted things done his own way...according to Francona....

based on this why would be make a good manager?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

coach...this edit feature is the pits

Sections
Shortcuts