Pedroia excited about Farrell coming back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Pedroia excited about Farrell coming back

This is a paragraph from an article on ESPNBoston.com,and I've provided a link to read the rest:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8535382/john-farrell-boston-red-sox-players-back-comfort-zone

Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was at the airport on his way home from a family vacation when he received Farrell's call.

"He's excited," Pedroia told ESPNBoston.com Sunday night. "I'm excited. We're all excited. The way last year was, we didn't play well and after we made that trade we didn't play good baseball at all and we lost a lot of ballgames and took some beatings. I think guys are ready for a fresh start and to come into camp ready to go and turn this whole thing around."

Pedroia remembers early in the 2008 season, after a solid first month of the season, he began to struggle. He was sitting in the dugout at Fenway Park early one afternoon when Farrell came over, sat next to him and started to give him some advice.

"I went into a funk for about three weeks and I couldn't get any hits. John was out there early and he could tell I was pressing," Pedroia recalled. "He looked at me and said, 'Hey, man, you're all right. Let's go.' Just his presence and him saying that, for me, was like, 'OK, I better get going.' I'll never forget that.

"He has that instant respect when he walks into the room because it's leadership and it's going to be nice."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Pedroia excited about Farrell coming back

New cribbage partner?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1759811. Show user_1759811's posts

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind hiring a manager of a team whose record for the last two years was worse than Boston's, and managed guide his team to a lower place in the standings this past season than the Red Sox? A supposed genius at handling a pitching staff, but failed to get a consistiant performance from Toronto's starters?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Well, if Dustin Pedroia is stoked, I guees that's all that matters.
    Same with Papi and Lester.

More country club indications.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

great 1st post. 

i cannot explain the logic.

both gm and manager are clones of the 2004-2011 regime.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

great 1st post. 

[/QUOTE]

The Sox did win 2 World Series during that 2004-2011 regime.I'll take 5 playoff apperances and 2 Championships in 8 years ANYTIME.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Wait, I thought everyone was convinced Pedrioa was the one whining at the prospect of Farrell's hiring.

It's so confusing here.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

great 1st post. 

[/QUOTE]

The Sox did win 2 World Series during that 2004-2011 regime.I'll take 5 playoff apperances and 2 Championships in 8 years ANYTIME.

[/QUOTE]

agreed 100%.  i just prefer the originals then the song and dance about fresh starts and it ends up being the same story we already had but in black and white instead of color.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to user_1759811's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can someone please explain to me the logic behind hiring a manager of a team whose record for the last two years was worse than Boston's, and managed guide his team to a lower place in the standings this past season than the Red Sox? A supposed genius at handling a pitching staff, but failed to get a consistiant performance from Toronto's starters?

[/QUOTE]

I cannot explain the logic.  But, managerial hiring and success is more alchemy than logic.  What was the logic in hiring Terry Francona?  What was the logic in the Yankees hiring Joe Torre?  The 'logic' in these situations was that they were good baseball men who would be a good fit for the respective organizations.  If winning percentages defined the hiring logic, those guys would have never been hired.  

Farrell's clubs were underwhelming in his two years at the helm.  But, how much of that was due to injuries, how much of it was due to their supposedly up and coming roster being overrated?  I don't know exactly.  

But the logic probably goes something like this:  Farrell is a smart baseball guy.  And, more importantly, he, for whatever reasons that are difficult to see from the outside, he commands respect.  And, after the late season 2011 debacle in which the conventional wisdon is that Francona lost control of the club, and 2012 where Valentine never had control and then proceeded to pulverize any possible shred of respect towards him, I would say that logic is based around getting someone in who, regardless of past managerial success, will command the respect of the players.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Of course he is! It means the players will once again be allowed to run the ship. 25 captains is better than one skipper!

Farrell will no more command respect, than Salty will steal 50 bases. He lost control of the players in Toronto, and he will do so in Boston.

This is like trying to recapture your youth, you can't. It's the definition of insanity, "making the same mistake and expecting a different result"!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course he is! It means the players will once again be allowed to run the ship. 25 captains is better than one skipper!

Farrell will no more command respect, than Salty will steal 50 bases. He lost control of the players in Toronto, and he will do so in Boston.

This is like trying to recapture your youth, you can't. It's the definition of insanity, "making the same mistake and expecting a different result"!

[/QUOTE]

Alibike is always on the cutting edge of things...but then again he knows better than the players so we should listen to him over Pedroia.

"Dustin Pedroia Says New Manager John Farrell Commands 'Instant Respect' That Will Change Red Sox"

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8Ljr?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=boston-red-sox

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How did he lose control in Toronto?  Because his knucklehead shortstop painted homophobic slurs in his eyeblack?  Because ... um ... I can't even think of another example that would even remotely suggest he 'lost control of his players'.  Can you?  Now, they certainly didn't perform wonderful feats of baseball under his helm.  Granted.  But, that is not the same thing as 'losing control of players'.  

You know who lost control of his players?  Bobby Valentine.  It was a mutiny from day one.  And he was supposed to be the man toreign them in.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if pedroia is happy, im happy...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if pedroia is happy, im happy...

[/QUOTE]

Si

Sections
Shortcuts