Pedroia is the Sox MVP, period

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Pedroia is the Sox MVP, period

Talk of Uehara, who undeniably has had a terrific season, is nonsense.  He saved 14 games, period.  Not his fault, but also no claim for MVP.  He pitched in 59 of the Sox 1215 innings to date, not including extra innings or games cut short.  That's less than 5%.

Pedroia to date has played in 1206 of the Sox 1215 innings.  He is second on the Sox in runs, hits, and rbi's.  He plays 2B superbly, and he plays hurt.  His WAR (wins above replacement) rating ranks him as the 9th best player in the AL for the season.  Ellsbury is 8th, Victorino 10th, and Big Papi 26th. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Pedroia is the Sox MVP, period

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Talk of Uehara, who undeniably has had a terrific season, is nonsense.  He saved 14 games, period.  Not his fault, but also no claim for MVP.  He pitched in 59 of the Sox 1215 innings to date, not including extra innings or games cut short.  That's less than 5%.

Pedroia to date has played in 1206 of the Sox 1215 innings.  He is second on the Sox in runs, hits, and rbi's.  He plays 2B superbly, and he plays hurt.  His WAR (wins above replacement) rating ranks him as the 9th best player in the AL for the season.  Ellsbury is 8th, Victorino 10th, and Big Papi 26th. 

Max.....for a second I thought you might be going senile because you have another post where you started by saying Papi is the Sox MVP, but I see you clarified that as "MVP of the Sox lineup", so presumably their offensive MVP with Pedey being the all around MVP....from now on I am going to have to read your posts more carefully...Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Nonsense?  That's a bit harsh.  I think Pedey is the MVP.  But I think the team is loaded with guys who have over-achieved.  And Uehara is having one of the best seasons ever for a reliever - EVER.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

Nonsense?  That's a bit harsh.  I think Pedey is the MVP.  But I think the team is loaded with guys who have over-achieved.  And Uehara is having one of the best seasons ever for a reliever - EVER.

Exactly.  trying to annoint an MVP on this team is just silly.  So many of these players have over-achieved or accepted their role for the betterment of the team.  Heck, for the beginning of the year it was Napps, the next part it was Papi and right now it seems to be Vic.....the cool thing about Pedey is that he has been VERY solid all year long with only one bad month.  I still would not waste time annointing an MVP though....too many solid plays and players so far that it would be an injustice just to name one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Dirtywaterlover, agreed, nonsense is a little too strong.

Tomnev,

About Ortiz. He has been beyond question our best hitter.  But he has missed lots of games and he only has to DH.  A season or two after ARod joined the Yankees, he had a terrific season, but so did Big Papi, 47 dingers and 148 rbi's.  The Globe ran a survey asking who would you vote for for MVP and why, and I said ARod because he played 3B every day.  To me a DH has to win at least the triple crown to even be considered for the league MVP.  Same for team MVP.

Pedroia is not having a great season for him, but for me it is great because he is playing injured and playing almost every inning, let alone every game, and continues to excel in the field and at the plate.  His WAR rating, which is based on both hitting and fielding, would seem to confirm his all-around excellence despite the injury. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

Exactly.  trying to annoint an MVP on this team is just silly.  So many of these players have over-achieved or accepted their role for the betterment of the team.  Heck, for the beginning of the year it was Napps, the next part it was Papi and right now it seems to be Vic.....the cool thing about Pedey is that he has been VERY solid all year long with only one bad month.  I still would not waste time annointing an MVP though....too many solid plays and players so far that it would be an injustice just to name one.

Completely agree that this year above all recent years the Sox are winning as a team, with tons of contributors--in the rotation, in the bullpen, at the plate, and in the field.  No MVP makes complete sense.

But I was responding to another thread that argued Uehara is the MVP and so decided to start one of my own. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The great thing is that these MVP threads are a perfect indication why this team is where it is......how many other teams right now could have fans naming 5 or 6 guys and passionately arguing each as the team MVP.....this teams strength is that the Sum of all its parts is greater and stronger than each individual part

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I think Pedroia is the MVP, too, but no way would I consider other opinions (Ortiz, Uehara, somebody also mentioned Lackey) "nonsense."

I reserve that word for the daily anti-Papi  threads.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

Imho the MVP is the whole team, underrated and signaled to finish fifth or fourth ... But if there is one primary cause was the trauma of 2011 plus  the ghastly ghost of bobby v fleeting presence in Red Sox Nation, not to mention the trade of all trades that buried the legacy of the  beloved Theo,btw  why not give the award to Corageous Ben?...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sorry Max....I think its Koji because no one else on this team can close at all. He has done a remarkable job at preserving a lot of wins for this team without drama. There are a lot of other players who have made honorable mention: Pedey, Ortiz, Salty, Dumpster....oh wait.....scratch Dumpster......but my choice is Koji.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I don't think it's "nonsense".  I think the closer role is overrated, but Uehara's unexpected dominance in the role seems to have settled down the entire bullpen and allowed others to fit into roles where they all are succeeding.  And that's been a huge benefit to the Sox.

But I agree naming an 80 IP pitcher the MVP seems silly to me.

Beyond him?  I think Pedroia, Victorino and Ortiz each have a decent case...but so does Salty. Quietly having a brilliant season.

12. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts