Pedroia or Cano?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Pedroia or Cano?

BALTIMORE — Who would you rather have, Dustin Pedroia or Robinson Cano? For Red Sox and Yankees fans, it's a great question to debate. It's not quite Ted Williams or Joe DiMaggio, but it's a fun topic.

Cano was the American League All-Star at second base. But Pedroia is the best second baseman in the league at the moment.

Check out their stats for the season:

Pedroia
    .295/.401/.468
    36 extra-base hits
    50 RBIs
    17 steals
    137 OPS+
    5.1 WAR

Cano
    .294/.339/.506
    41 extra-base hits
    59 RBIs
    6 steals
    129 OPS+
    2.7 WAR

Their defense is excellent, too. You could not go wrong with either player. But right now, Pedroia is the clear choice given his 1.177 OPS in the last 35 games.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Pedroia or Cano?

EB, WADR....do we have to do this one AGAIN???? Edit...every time a Sox player has a bit of success somone runs to pull the Yankee comparison card, it get it though, no disrespect to you EB,,just sayin

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

but like i said in the previous DP/Cano thread, i got mad respect for DP and i don't care which, if you're taking Cano, hand me DP(and vice versa) i'm ready to go to war....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Young or Rothschild?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---TheBabe-----. Show ---TheBabe-----'s posts

bartles or james

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Hi Jete. Here's a question for you: What would have happened if Joe DiMaggio was a Red Sox and Williams a Yankee?  Supposedly ownership got drunk one night and almost made that trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

laser show! the next captain of the boston red sox.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Laser in a heart-beat...Cano having a down year per se...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

WAR shows Pedroia's almost twice that of Cano.
    Guess that's why I think stats like that are baloney.
    Pedroia is a unique player, for sure. But twice as good as Cano?
    Come on! Be real.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Still don't want to see Cano in a big spot.  I'd rather face Russell Martin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Pedroia or Cano?:
    [QUOTE]WAR shows Pedroia's almost twice that of Cano. Guess that's why I think stats like that are baloney. Pedroia is a unique player, for sure. But twice as good as Cano? Come on! Be real.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Amen to that....Sabermetrics has gone crazy.....I love Pedey and wouldnt trade him heads up for Cano, but man you cant go wrong with either of them. Cano's main problem is he seems to lose his focus for stretches some time.....Yanks seem to think it was Melky Cabrera's influence, but he aint around anymore to blame. Still a helluva player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Cano any day of the week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ginger or Mary Anne?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]WAR shows Pedroia's almost twice that of Cano. Guess that's why I think stats like that are baloney. Pedroia is a unique player, for sure. But twice as good as Cano? Come on! Be real.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

WAR is about how many games the Sox have won with Pedroia over say Sutton.  Pedroia has made a ton of really difficult plays this year that Sutton wouldn't get close to.  Add the hitting and the Sox have won 5 games or so more.  If the Sox had Cano instead of Sutton the number of games is about 3.

While Cano can be great he isn't making as many great plays as last year or Pedroia this year.  Hard to quantify but say there have about ten singles and a few double plays Pedroia has made more than Cano.  Is it possible that those extra plays have won the Sox two or three games they wouldn't have if Cano didn't make them.  Plus you factor in a slight edge offensively for Pedroia.  That is what WAR is trying to quantify.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Jete. Here's a question for you: What would have happened if Joe DiMaggio was a Red Sox and Williams a Yankee?  Supposedly ownership got drunk one night and almost made that trade.
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE] what would have happened?.. the second he pulled on that Yankee jersey,Sox fans would have said Williams is old and overrated..Tongue out...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Cano was a great find for the Yankees--OPS, defense, you name it.  No complaint from me about his starting the all-star game at 2B. 

But Pedroia is unique and a perfect fit for the Sox.  He's got more attitude than the entire Yankees team.  Abraham tells him that in five games in which he batted cleanup he hit homers in three of them.  So Pedroia tells Abraham to go tell the manager.  He does.  Francona's response:  "Pedroia is small in stature but very big in his opinion of himself."  Priceless.  

There are plenty of great ballplayers on other teams who I think are assets for all of baseball.  And the one I would pick from the Sox is Dustin Pedroia. 

And, lest we think he believes he is indestructible, don't forget his concern about further damaging his knee.  He was definitely worried.  So, when the doc said he can't hurt it anymore, he went on a tear--which is where he is right now. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

WAR is the sequal to MONEYBALL:The Horror Show version...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -TheBabe---. Show -TheBabe---'s posts

Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

lackey has a positive WAR....'nuff said.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Laser show, of course.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Muddy Chicken

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

I guess the only way to answer that, tbrod, is to look at WHY Pedroia's WAR comes out 89% higher than Cano's.

Looking at the components:
    (1) Pedroia is credited with 22 batting runs above average, Cano with 12. That's the difference between 18 BB and 65 BB. Aside from their walks and OBP, the two have very similar offensive production. But Pedroia has reached base almost 50 more times.

(2) Pedroia is credited with 10 fielding runs above average, Cano with -2. I do think Pedroia is the better defender, but this might overstate it a little.

(3) Pedroia gets a small boost for more plate appearances, better baserunning, and fewer double plays. Total of 5 more runs credit there. He probably deserves some of that credit, at least, but these are all minor factors.

So there you go. Pedroia has supposedly been "worth" 52 runs to Cano's 27 runs due to his OBP and defense, with the other factors all being similar.

Argue away if you like... I'm not the one making that argument, just interpreting it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]EB, WADR....do we have to do this one AGAIN???? Edit...every time a Sox player has a bit of success somone runs to pull the Yankee comparison card, it get it though, no disrespect to you EB,,just sayin
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]
    Because its a respect to the opposing player, by asking Pedey or Cano, it's pretty much saying that either one is the best 2nd baseman.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"Is it possible that those extra plays have won the Sox two or three games they wouldn't have if Cano didn't make them."

WAR considers that a *ONE* game difference.

Another game is attributable to the difference in OBP. Pedroia has walked many more times, presumably scoring occasionally after doing so. Those 47 extra walks might have led to *ONE* more win, maybe?

The final half-game difference is attributed to a variety of small factors (mostly baserunning and avoiding double plays). Debatable, perhaps, but also minor components.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Ginger or Mary Anne?
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Mary Anne.

Bailey or Jennifer?