Pedroia runner-up on Fielding Bible list

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Pedroia runner-up on Fielding Bible list

Dustin Pedroia joined former teammates Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Reddick as runners-up at their respective positions in the 2012 Fielding Bible Awards:

http://www.actasports.com/stats_detail/?StatId=345

Former teammate Adrian Beltre was the winner at third base.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Pedroia runner-up on Fielding Bible list

For those who hate fielding metrics, this is a much better indicator of fielding talent that the GG award voting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For those who hate fielding metrics, this is a much better indicator of fielding talent that the GG award voting.

[/QUOTE]

Dont get me wrong, some deserve it, but the GG award is mostly a popularity contest based on prior GG's...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dont get me wrong, some deserve it, but the GG award is mostly a popularity contest based on prior GG's...

[/QUOTE]

Yeah Bill James has no connections to any organization.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my eyes told me he had an impressive year at 2B...his hitting was quite down but defensivily he seemed to me better than he ever had been

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Absolutely.  The GG awards are a joke, IMO.  The Fielding Bible awards carry a lot more merit to them, since they actually take a defender's range into account.

TWM, If I'm not mistaken, Bill James voted for Teixeira for this award at 1B, over Adrian Gonzalez, so I'm not sure what your point is.  I have not agreed with Teixeira receiving some of his  GG awards in the past, but while I could make a case for Adrian Gonzalez this year, I agree with the FB voters that Teixeira is a deserving candidate.

The fact that he won the Fielding Bible award tells me a lot more about Teixeira's defensive ability than any of his GGs ever did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And that disqualifies him from voting for Teixeira in what way?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

interesting/strange that Beltre is the only winner with less than 95 points

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And offense also used to figure into it prominently...

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And that disqualifies him from voting for Teixeira in what way?

[/QUOTE]

Typical James pick fluff Tex so you can diss Cano.

Folks here trying to sell this award as more reputable as the GG is a joke, my first problem.

As if these picks are beyond favoritism.

I don't know what James watches but from where I sit Robinson Cano is the best defensive second baseman in all of baseball hands down, he certainly has the best arm I've ever seen.

That being said If I had a team and had to pick a 2nd baseman I'd pick Pedroia.

Knowing he doesn't have the skills at second Cano has.Not that he is bad.

But Pedroia is more focused has more desire and intangibles imo.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to Calzone65's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My point was that I watch 162 Sox games per year and read everythong that I can. I read no NYC papers and watch only 20-30 of Yankee games, therefore I have no compulsion or right to compare Cano vs. Pedroia. TWM watch 162 RS games per year and watch the pregame and postgame and read Boston papers. If he does then he should become a Red Sox fan.

[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I didn't watch as many Sox games this season as in the past.

Primarily because they were out of the race early.

Instead i watched a lot more Oriole games than I nornally would.

A 55 inch TV with pip and the MLB package allows me to watch a lot of baseball which I do.

I love the way Pedroia plays the game always have, I just believe that Cano is without question the best in the game defensively at 2nd.

But not enough to convert a close to a 60 year Yankee fan over to the Sox.

That being said Pedroia is the type of player like Jeter that you build your team around I do not think you can say the same about Cano.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

I've always liked the gritty type players even if they don't play for the Yankees.

The guys who go out there everyday who shrug off injuries and play the game the way it should be played on guts not steroids.

Pete Rose was one of those so is Jeter so is Pedroia.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Folks here trying to sell this award as more reputable as the GG is a joke, my first problem.

Why is that TWM?  Because Bill James votes for these awards?

The GG voters base their decisions largely on fielding %, not a very good way to measure defensive ability. 

I don't know what James watches but from where I sit Robinson Cano is the best defensive second baseman in all of baseball hands down, he certainly has the best arm I've ever seen.

A case could be made for Cano to get the 2nd place finish over Pedroia, although an equally strong case could be made in support of Pedroia for a 2nd place finish.  I would have no problem with either one of them being the runner up.

However, neither one of them comes close to Darwin Barney in terms of defense this season.  Unless you have watched all the 2nd basemen play every game (or at least the vast majority of games) this season,  you really have no basis for saying that Cano is the best defensive 2nd baseman in baseball. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Calzone65's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It would be impossible for a Yankee fan with the Extra innings package and even PIP to watch most of the RS games and Yankee games since so many games are on at the same time. [/QUOTE]

come on pike

I have no problem believing that you never heard of a DVR

but I'm havin a hard time believing that  U never heard of a VCR

true enough

why wouldn't james want the 1B that ''they'' just gave away to win it

[/QUOTE]

PIP=picture in a picture.  Because of this, it doesn't matter if they're on at the same time or not.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

The GG awards were proven to be a joke when Derek Jeter won his last. Don't get me wrong, although I'm a Sox fan it would have been nice to see Jeter in a Sox uniform but he won his last award I believe last year. Much older, doesn't cover much ground yet wins a GG. 

Hetch