Pedroia runner-up on Fielding Bible list

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Pedroia runner-up on Fielding Bible list

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gardner was passed over 2010 the one season he has remained relatively healthy for Carl Crawford.

Gardner played in more games in 2011 than 2010.  But it doesn't matter.  The award shouldn't be dependent on whether Gardner can stay on the field enough years for writers to notice.  He was the best both of those years.  The writers didn't notice.  If the writers deciding the vote cannot tell that Gardner is better than Crawford, then the award is meaningless.

[/QUOTE]

GG award is based on a vote by the coaches and managers of both leagues not writers.

They are not allowed to vote for their own players.

They see these players enough to make an honest vote.

I've never read where there were politics involved in the vote.

Always a lot of disgruntled fans. 

In 2011 Gardner was coming off of off season wrist surgery which did effect his play.

I for one would love to see what he could do if he could stay healthy.

Crawford had a decent year in LF in 2010. Gardner lost out to Alex Gordon in 2011 who is also a finalist again this season.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, the Palmero vote alone makes this statement BS. Not to mention the Jeter votes, in the last few years.

Coaches and managers see other players about 6 times, unless they play in their own division. That's not enough to gauge how well a player plays the position.

I don't believe politics is involved. Managers and coaches are simply not interested in getting it right and will scribble any name that comes to them.

I'm sure you know what kind of hours coaches and managers put in. How much time and effort do you really believe they put into a GG vote?

It's more plausible that a they pick a player that made one great defensive play against their team, as it is that they poured over stats and film, to make their pick.

In addition, the Fielding Bible awards make the the voters picks public, so they are accountable for their votes.

Can you tell me who Joe Girardi voted for? Or even scarier, Bobby Valentine?

Like you said, you're not going to change your mind.

Enjoy living in the '60's...again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Btw I based my opinion of the Yankee farms on where they were ranked 2012 preseason vs who they lost, gained. They had a few youngsters step up, Banuelos tj surgery the big news. I know of no scouts or rankings that I saw that had the Sox farm system ranked over the Yankees.Of course there has been one draft since that time. And the Sox might have picked up a few decent prospects in the recent trades. Soon enough that stuff will start coming out prior to the 2013 season.

Baseball America ranked the Red Sox (No. 9) ahead of the Yankees (No. 13) in its 2012 preseason organization talent rankings:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html

The FanGraphs preseason rankings had the Yankees at No. 10 and the Red Sox No. 11:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ranking-the-30-minor-league-systems/

John Sickels of Minor League Ball had the Red Sox at No. 11 and the Yankees at No. 16:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/23/2728027/2012-baseball-farm-system-rankings-prospects

[/QUOTE]

Might point out that rankings before and after the Montero trade look a little different. 

http://baseballprospectnation.com/2012/03/07/2012-bpn-farm-system-rankings/

http://www.thefanatic.net/threads/keith-laws-1-30-team-farm-system-rankings.7647/

http://www.nesn.com/2012/01/yankees-jesus-montero-rays-matt-moore-put-respective-farm-systems-among-baseballs-best.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Gardner was passed over 2010 the one season he has remained relatively healthy for Carl Crawford.

Gardner played in more games in 2011 than 2010.  But it doesn't matter.  The award shouldn't be dependent on whether Gardner can stay on the field enough years for writers to notice.  He was the best both of those years.  The writers didn't notice.  If the writers deciding the vote cannot tell that Gardner is better than Crawford, then the award is meaningless.

[/QUOTE]

GG award is based on a vote by the coaches and managers of both leagues not writers.

In 2011 Gardner was coming off of off season wrist surgery which did effect his play.

Crawford had a decent year in LF in 2010. Gardner lost out to Alex Gordon in 2011 who is also a finalist again this season.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, the Palmero vote alone makes this statement BS. Not to mention the Jeter votes, in the last few years.

Coaches and managers see other players about 6 times, unless they play in their own division. That's not enough to gauge how well a player plays the position.

I don't believe politics is involved. Managers and coaches are simply not interested in getting it right and will scribble any name that comes to them.

I'm sure you know what kind of hours coaches and managers put in. How much time and effort do you really believe they put into a GG vote?

It's more plausible that a they pick a player that made one great defensive play against their team, as it is that they poured over stats and film, to make their pick.

In addition, the Fielding Bible awards make the the voters picks public, so they are accountable for their votes.

[/QUOTE]

I trust Girardi or Valentine, they played the game.

I suppose I should get with the times and put more credence into what an unbiased employee of the Red Sox thinks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suppose I should get with the times and put more credence into what an unbiased employee of the Red Sox thinks.

[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm betting James wouldn't have voted for Palmero. People would actually know he did so.

They would aslo know if he made baised votes for the Sox.

Can you show that he did so, or is it just an asumption that all people asociated with the Sox are crooked?

I wouldn't trust Vanetine to walk my dog, after the year he had.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yup. I'm betting James wouldn't have voted for Palmero. People would actually know he did so.

Can you show that he did so, or is it just an asumption that all people asociated with the Sox are crooked?

[/QUOTE]

Palmeiro won the GG three years in a row what particular year do you have a problem with?

Everyone has a bias, you do I do, Bill James employee and fan of the Boston Red Sox does

I bet Bobby was walking your dog in March.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cano has the tools to be better defensively than Pedroia, but doesn't concentrate at times. Dropping the ball when tranferring it too casually.  It looks great, because it is so smooth, when it comes off though.

Pedroia has two things over Cano: he is very quicker to his feet after diving (he is short) and he hardly ever makes a lazy mental error in the field.

[/QUOTE]

Correct

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The recent All-Fenway team was the result of votes from Red Sox fans but yet several forum posters tried to blame it on authority figures. Sure thing that Remy didn't belong on it but it was the stupid fans that made that call. Posters need to read more before coming to this forum.

[/QUOTE]

Remy over Doerr? Unbelievable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Palmeiro won the GG three years in a row what particular year do you have a problem with?

Everyone has a bias, you do I do, Bill James employee and fan of the Boston Red Sox does

[/QUOTE]

Really? You really don't know which year Palmero should not have won?

Some people can set their biases aside.

But, if you insist on assuming Jame's votes are slanted toward the Sox, I guess we can assume mangers and coaches are also.

Not voting for their own team wouldn't prevent them from voting for a player simply because they played for them in the past, would it?

If you want to believe GG is less biased, with no evidence to back it up, knock yourself out.

You've got it all figured out. Trying to get you to back off now would be waste of my time.

Everyone is out to get the poor little Yankees.

As for my opinion about BV in March; wrong again.

You're not very good at this guessing stuff.

In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks:

Not sure why he feels making these comments are worthwile. I get a little concerned whenever a manager keeps making himself the centre of attention. Think he will do a good job, just wish he would talk less
    Posted by wideright

It's Bobby V. I didn't expect any less...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really? You really don't know which year Palmero should not have won?

Some people can set their biases aside.

But, if you insist on assuming Jame's votes are slanted toward the Sox, I guess we can assume mangers and coaches are also.

Not voting for their own team wouldn't prevent them from voting for a player simply because they played for them in the past, would it?

If you want to believe GG is less biased, with no evidence to back it up, knock yourself out.

You've got it all figured out. Trying to get you to back off now would be waste of my time.

Everyone is out to get the poor little Yankees.

As for my opinion about BV in March; wrong again.

You're not very good at this guessing stuff.

In Response to Re: Bobby V Takes shot at Yanks:

Not sure why he feels making these comments are worthwile. I get a little concerned whenever a manager keeps making himself the centre of attention. Think he will do a good job, just wish he would talk less
    Posted by wideright

It's Bobby V. I didn't expect any less...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cano has the tools to be better defensively than Pedroia, but doesn't concentrate at times. Dropping the ball when tranferring it too casually.  It looks great, because it is so smooth, when it comes off though.

Pedroia has two things over Cano: he is quicker to his feet after diving (he is short) and he hardly ever makes a lazy mental error in the field.

[/QUOTE]

Cano, who led all American League second basemen with 726 chances in 2012, finished second in the league with a .992 fielding percentage while making just six errors. This marks his second career Gold Glove Award (also 2010).

He is just one of two Yankees second basemen to win a Gold Glove, along with Bobby Richardson, who won the honor in five straight seasons from 1961-65. Cano also holds two of the three best single-season fielding percentages by a second baseman in franchise history with his third-best mark in 2012 and his club-best .996 in 2010 (3E in 776 total chances). Snuffy Stirnweiss owns the second-highest single-season mark by a Yankees second baseman (.993 in 1948).

Since his debut in 2005, Cano has played in more games (1,197), made more starts (1,171) and played more innings (10,413.1) at second base than any other Major Leaguer. He has also tallied the most chances (5,891) and been part of the most double plays (788) at his position over the stretch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Btw I based my opinion of the Yankee farms on  where they were ranked 2012 preseason vs who they lost, gained. They had a few youngsters step up, Banuelos tj surgery the big news.  I know of no scouts or rankings that I saw that had the Sox farm system ranked over the Yankees.Of course there has been one draft since that time. And the Sox might have picked up a few decent prospects in the recent trades. Soon enough that stuff will start coming out prior to the 2013 season.

Baseball America ranked the Red Sox (No. 9) ahead of the Yankees (No. 13) in its 2012 preseason organization talent rankings:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2012/2613155.html

The FanGraphs preseason rankings had the Yankees at No. 10 and the Red Sox No. 11:

John Sickels of Minor League Ball had the Red Sox at No. 11 and the Yankees at No. 16:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/1/23/2728027/2012-baseball-farm-system-rankings-prospects

...and posters wonder why some of us value hill's contributions to this site.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Derek Jeter won the GG in 2009 and 2010.

Is there anything else that needs to be said about the absolute meaninglessness of the Gold Glove Award?

They gave the award to Palmeiro one year, when he barely played 1B that season. It's a popularity contest... nothing more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is there anything else that needs to be said about the absolute meaninglessness of the Gold Glove Award?

They gave the award to Palmeiro one year, when he barely played 1B that season. It's a popularity contest... nothing more.

[/QUOTE]

It sounds like Brooks Robinson, who won 16 consecutive GGs, wasn't really that good then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah Bill James has no connections to any organization.

And that disqualifies him from voting for Teixeira in what way?

[/QUOTE]

Typical James pick fluff Tex so you can diss Cano.

Folks here trying to sell this award as more reputable as the GG is a joke, my first problem.

As if these picks are beyond favoritism.

I don't know what James watches but from where I sit Robinson Cano is the best defensive second baseman in all of baseball hands down, he certainly has the best arm I've ever seen.

That being said If I had a team and had to pick a 2nd baseman I'd pick Pedroia.

Knowing he doesn't have the skills at second Cano has.Not that he is bad.

But Pedroia is more focused has more desire and intangibles imo.

[/QUOTE]

Right, we would never catch you using compliments about another player as a method of obscuring your biases as well as add credibility to other slights.  You're way above that.  (<-- sarcasm, by the way)

Ironically, you must have missed that Bill James did not give his top vote to either Cano or Pedroia.   He voted for Darwin Barney.  And blaming James one vote on a panel of ten is pretty stupid, too.  By the way, none of the 10 panelists gave Cano a top vote, and only 4 voted him as high as 2 (one of whom was Rob Neyer, who is normally dismissed by the "use your eyes" crowd who thinks sabermetrics are biased, but only watching one player play all year isn't).  I'd be very interested in how all of these panelists are clearly biased for the Red Sox.  The argument for Doug Glanville should be very enlightening.

By the way, have you ever seen 2012 Fielding Bible 2nd Baseman Darwin Barney play? I am guessing not, since you think Cano clearly has the best arm at the position.   Did you also know Barney set the single-season errorless streak for second basemen this season?   Please tell us more about how watching Cano play 162 times has educated you about all the other second basemen you have never seen play.

Not your best work...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The 10-member Fielding Bible panel never gave Jacoby Ellsbury a single vote until 2011 despite the presence of Bill James on the panel.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

http://youtu.be/EbRo_anmIDc

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It sounds like Brooks Robinson, who won 16 consecutive GGs, wasn't really that good then.

[/QUOTE]

Even a broken clock is right 16 times in 8 days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

The 10-member Fielding Bible panel never gave Jacoby Ellsbury a single vote until 2011 despite the presence of Bill James on the panel.

[/QUOTE]

But what proves they are biased is that they did not give the award to Robinson Cano, who is not only yhr best defensive second baseman ThatWasMe has ever seen, he was also the only one he saw all year.   How could these so-called baseball experts even vote for a guy ThatWasMe never heard of before??

It is shameful what this is coming to.  Bring back the days of The Gold Glove.  Now there was an award with no biased voting ever...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...and rightly so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

...and rightly so.

[/QUOTE]

Although Ells only had 2 errors his first few years in MLB, he often took very bad routes and late jumps on balls. His speed saved his azz more than a few times. In 2011 he seemed to improve greatly and IMO deseved it that year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But what proves they are biased is that they did not give the award to Robinson Cano, who is not only yhr best defensive second baseman ThatWasMe has ever seen, he was also the only one he saw all year.   How could these so-called baseball experts even vote for a guy ThatWasMe never heard of before??

It is shameful what this is coming to.  Bring back the days of The Gold Glove.  Now there was an award with no biased voting ever...

[/QUOTE]

Sour grapes.

Pedroia has won the GG award twice as has Cano, I could have lived with either in 2012.

And I didn't cry or protest when Gardner was denied. Alex Gordan was a repeat winner in LF for 2012.

None of the awards are perfect (or as unbiased like the fielding bible is I guess to Sox fans).

I'll continue to believe my lying eyes.

Peace and Love. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sour grapes.

Pedroia has won the GG award twice as has Cano, I could have lived with either in 2012.

And I didn't cry or protest when Gardner was denied. Alex Gordan was a repeat winner in LF for 2012.

None of the awards are perfect (or as unbiased like the fielding bible is I guess to Sox fans).

Peace and Love. 

[/QUOTE]

We might be more apt to agree with you, if you could provide a shred of evidence, as to the bias you keep referring to.

Sorry if your esteemed opinion isn't enough for most of us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

More evidence that GG voting is a nonsense!

Jeff Francouer was a RF finalist.  He did lead MLB OF in assists with 19, but surely that can't make up for lack of range (2nd worst in MLB RF).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sour grapes.

Peace and Love. 

[/QUOTE]

We might be more apt to agree with you, if you could provide a shred of evidence, as to the bias you keep referring to.

Sorry if your esteemed opinion isn't enough for most of us.

[/QUOTE]

As a life long Yankee fan why should I be suspicious of bias if a narrow decision between Cano and Pedroia rests in the hands of James and Gammons?

Don't suppose any of you would be suspicious if it was Michael kaye and Paul O'Neil.

But actually i don't care what you think.