Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player

The more I watch Pedey, the more I am in awe of his talent and desire to be the best. I think the last time I saw a player of such caliber was Pete Rose and I dare say that Dustin Pedroia is the best player in the game today.
    What make it more impressive is his stature. He's listed at 5'-7", although I think it's closer to 5'-5" or 5-4", and he's already a lock for the HOF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player

Well, maybe. 

What I like about him is his attitude.  He has taken what used to be called the "runt complex" and turned it into a plus. 

Best of all, we got him, and he ain't going to be traded. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I don't know if he's the best in the game, but he's an amazing all-around player.  Not to be overlooked are his 18/21 stolen bases.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player:
    I don't know if he's the best in the game, but he's an amazing all-around player.  Not to be overlooked are his 18/21 stolen bases.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Yes. His base-running instincts are incredible.
    Ellsbury should take a page out of Pedey's book and I believe he will surpass Ellsbury in the SB column if Ellsbury doesn't start running again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He may be in the Top 10 best all around players....If you are building a team today for say the next 5 years, he'd have to be your selection for second basemen.

He has a real change to be legend

Williams

Yaz

Pedey

Could you imagine if Williams were still alive today - put him and Pedey in a room together and them chat away.....Now that would have been amazing!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

In Response to Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player:
    The more I watch Pedey, the more I am in awe of his talent and desire to be the best. I think the last time I saw a player of such caliber was Pete Rose and I dare say that Dustin Pedroia is the best player in the game today. What make it more impressive is his stature. He's listed at 5'-7", although I think it's closer to 5'-5" or 5-4", and he's already a lock for the HOF.
    Posted by Alibiike

I love Pedroia but I I don't know about being THE best player in the game. And I believe he's listed at about 5-9 and is more like 5-7, I don't think he's THAT short.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

yeah he's not 5-9....he's 5-7 about 170 max.........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Ells can't steal bases from a home run trot.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Posted by Hfxsoxnut

My thinking as well!  The SBs are a great asset, and one usually doesn't think of Pedey when speed comes to mind, but he knows when to run, for sure, as well as how to do it successfully.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Realistically he's not a "5 tool player".

He simply doesn't have the speed to be a major threat on the bases, which is one of the "5 tools." SCRATCH tool #1.

2nd basemen do not generally qualify for throwing arm, since the throw from 2nd to 1st is a short throw...which eliminates tool #2.

He does hit for average and the short wall at Fenway helps his power stats...but seriously he is not a pure "power hitter"...which eliminates another tool. Tool #3 highly doubtful in a larger ballpark.

His fielding is just awesome...tool #4 is for certain, no argument.

His batting average is usually good, generally around .300( lifetime .303) so we'll surely give him tool #5.

So we'll give Dustin a 2 1/2 tool player rating.

This does not mean he isn't a great player, just that he doesn't run fast enough, throw well enough or have the raw power to be a 5 tool player.

Incidently Pete Rose was not a "5 tool" player either. His biggest season for homeruns was 16 , career 160 over 24 seasons. no blazing speed, no throwing arm. Similar to Pedroia, yes...5 tool -NO.

...and as much as I like Pedroia...there is no way he is a "lock" for Hall of Fame at this point in his career. He's only played 5 1/2 seasons!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Posted by soxnewmex

That reverse pivot also prevents SBs.  Tongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Posted by soxnewmex

Good one..

Funny never really thought of Peddie as a 5 tool, but he does have speed and feilds with a great arm...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

zillagod,

You're right, the five tool thing basically applies to outfielders.  J.D. Drew in his prime was considered to be pretty close to a five tool player--fielding, throwing, hitting, hitting with power, and sort of running the basepaths.  Real five tool players are pretty rare because of the running the bases thing.  Mantle and Mays certainly qualify, but who else?  Barry Bonds when he was young, but I don't know about his fielding and arm.  Roberto Clemente maybe, but I don't know about his baserunning.  Ted Williams and Babe Ruth were both 2 tool guys although I guess Ruth had a good arm.   

But Pedroia is a secondbaseman, so I think he has to get a pass on the throwing.  Ditto the running because of 18 of 21 stolen bases--probably more than Mantle used to get because, despite his great speed, he had to be careful of those knees. 

Pedroia has surprising power for a little guy, but I have to agree that he doesn't really hit with power.  So I think of him as a four tool guy with a ton of attitude. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Maxbialystock, ok throw out the arm, ton of attitude more than makes up for it...LOL...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

5 Tool Red Sox:

*  Yaz

*  Lynn

*  Burks

*  Nomah

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe--------. Show -The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player:
    The more I watch Pedey, the more I am in awe of his talent and desire to be the best. I think the last time I saw a player of such caliber was Pete Rose and I dare say that Dustin Pedroia is the best player in the game today. What make it more impressive is his stature. He's listed at 5'-7", although I think it's closer to 5'-5" or 5-4", and he's already a lock for the HOF.

Posted by Alibiike

LOL..."lock for the HOF"....what are you smoking?!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe--------. Show -The-Babe--------'s posts

He may be in the Top 10 best all around players....If you are building a team today for say the next 5 years, he'd have to be your selection for second basemen. He has a real change to be legend Williams Yaz Pedey Could you imagine if Williams were still alive today - put him and Pedey in a room together and them chat away.....Now that would have been amazing!!!

Posted by andrewmitch

Hardly, I'd take Cano any day of the week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

5 Tool Red Sox: *  Yaz *  Lynn *  Burks *  Nomah
    Posted by andrewmitch
    man, Ellis Burks was gifted..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

zillagod, You're right, the five tool thing basically applies to outfielders.  J.D. Drew in his prime was considered to be pretty close to a five tool player--fielding, throwing, hitting, hitting with power, and sort of running the basepaths.  Real five tool players are pretty rare because of the running the bases thing.  Mantle and Mays certainly qualify, but who else?  Barry Bonds when he was young, but I don't know about his fielding and arm.  Roberto Clemente maybe, but I don't know about his baserunning.  Ted Williams and Babe Ruth were both 2 tool guys although I guess Ruth had a good arm.    But Pedroia is a secondbaseman, so I think he has to get a pass on the throwing.  Ditto the running because of 18 of 21 stolen bases--probably more than Mantle used to get because, despite his great speed, he had to be careful of those knees.  Pedroia has surprising power for a little guy, but I have to agree that he doesn't really hit with power.  So I think of him as a four tool guy with a ton of attitude. 
    Posted by maxbialystock
    Jane Leavy quotes Mantle as saying, "I wasn't that good on defense."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player : man, Ellis Burks was gifted..
    Posted by jete02fan

I used to be in such awe of his talent.  Made me move to Centerfield and work like a dog.........

Nice for a yankee fan to say something positive

Meanwhile, I have to block one of the 300 new handles "the babe" has created just so he can get a little attention.....you know, if more mommas just paid attention to their babies when they were born..............

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The-Babe--------. Show -The-Babe--------'s posts

In Response to Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player : I used to be in such awe of his talent.  Made me move to Centerfield and work like a dog......... Nice for a yankee fan to say something positive Meanwhile, I have to block one of the 300 new handles "the babe" has created just so he can get a little attention.....you know, if more mommas just paid attention to their babies when they were born..............

Posted by andrewmitch

LOL....meanwhile andrewbitch is the one whining like a baby.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

When Mays went into the HOF, he said something like, "I have to be honest.  I never saw anyone play the game better."  Pretty boastful, but I remember thinking he was maybe right.  He was very definitely a five tool guy even though his lifetime batting average wasn't all that great. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

A 5 tool player is a rarity.

I don't think the Red Sox have ever had one that lived up to the term, in the true sense of the words.

Ellis Burks, had the label, never lived up to it.

Yaz was 4 tool, never had the speed. He was a smart baserunner, not speedy...so he can't be considered.

Nomar also did not quite have the speed, although he was close, until he got hurt.

Other 5 tool players that never reached full potential, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Davis, Barry Bonds ( who became one dimensional by chasing homeruns).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I don.t think to be a 5 tool player you have to be a league leader in every category.....meaning you dont have to be a .320 hitter, a 30 Hr guy...a 50 SB guy....you just need to have above avergae ability in each category and I think it should be judged on what position you play. Pedey is a great defender with a great 2b arm who can hit .300, steal 25+bases and maybe hit 20HRs....that to me is 5 tools. Some stats are affected by what your role is....Yaz stole 23 bases once but never more than 15 other than that, but when he came up he had good speed.....so definitely a 5 tool guy. Ellis Burks had everything...if you look at his 18 year career 162 game average...if he could have stayed healthy, he had HOF productivity and ability...very underated career.

ABRH2B3BHRRBISBBBSOBAOBPSLGOPS

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Eric Davis could have been amazing

Sections
Shortcuts