Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player

In Response to Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player:
    [QUOTE]The more I watch Pedey, the more I am in awe of his talent and desire to be the best. I think the last time I saw a player of such caliber was Pete Rose and I dare say that Dustin Pedroia is the best player in the game today. What make it more impressive is his stature. He's listed at 5'-7", although I think it's closer to 5'-5" or 5-4", and he's already a lock for the HOF.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Pede gets the best out of his "God given" talent which makes him who he is.  He has a great work ethic, a lot of pride and the desire to be one of the best. 

I'm not sure he would ever be called a "five tool" player but he certainly can play like one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Love Pedey but he is far from a lock to be a HOFer. first off he isn't neccesarily even the best 2B of his generation. Strong cases can be made for Utley, cano and even his old teammate from college Ian Kinsler.

And the HOF is always a matter of life's work unless you have a 5 year stretch like Pedro or Koufax did. In 2002 most people thought Nomar was a lock and the facts are Nomar isn't getting into the HOF except when he pays admission like the rest of us.

Just the same he is an outstanding player who because of his physical stature and approach to the game fans can easily related to and celebrate his play.

That should be enough IMO.

Just my takes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I agree with all that fivekatz

another of many things he has going for him is

the writers love him too

just like nomar, donny and many others

it will probably come down to health / yrs he plays 

that said the OP went  over board with '' best player '' & '' 5 tool ''

I never loved the guy

but big dave  had 5 tools IMO

wasn't great at anything

but very good at everything

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all that fivekatz another of many things he has going for him is the writers love him too just like nomar, donny and many others it will probably come down to health / yrs he plays   that said the OP went  over board with '' best player '' & '' 5 tool ''   I never loved the guy but big dave  had 5 tools IMO wasn't great at anything but very good at everything
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]Perhaps his greatest accomplishment as a NYY was driving Steinbrenner so nuts that he got himself suspended again, long enough for the baseball ops people to build the core of the great NYY teams of the second half of the 90's!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I was at the Yard on Monday and Tuesday to watch the Sox and O's.  It was miserably hot and humid and the players were sleep deprived.

Pedey gave it 110% from first pitch to last out.  I don't know if he's 5 tool or a hall of famer but I do know he is an absolute joy to watch and if I were putting a team together I would want his dirt dog mentality on it.

He plays the game right so he's a great role model for kids. That alone should give him HOF consideration in my humble opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

if ellsbury had a arm he would be a 5 tool player( if he keeps up his hr pace) pedroia is a 3 tool player, a great 3 tool player, and is one of the best players in the league by far. i will take that any day of the week. 5 tool or not!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player:
    [QUOTE]The more I watch Pedey, the more I am in awe of his talent and desire to be the best. I think the last time I saw a player of such caliber was Pete Rose and I dare say that Dustin Pedroia is the best player in the game today. What make it more impressive is his stature. He's listed at 5'-7", although I think it's closer to 5'-5" or 5-4", and he's already a lock for the HOF.

Nice effort. Let Pike, the pompous a-s-s, take note of Alibi Ike's positive post.

HOF is a stretch, as injury affects performance/longevity.
    His size - or lack of it - works in his favor as he he has a small strikezone, yet his swing allows for amazing plate coverage.
    His greatest gift is his will to win.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Ike is a pessimist 99% of the time and he would probably call that assessment accurate. Whatever happened to his twin brother Harv53?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Harv retired. You should seriously consider this option.
    I do hope your 99% assessment of Ike won't create havoc as to which box you now place him in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Realistically he's not a "5 tool player". He simply doesn't have the speed to be a major threat on the bases, which is one of the "5 tools." SCRATCH tool #1. 2nd basemen do not generally qualify for throwing arm, since the throw from 2nd to 1st is a short throw...which eliminates tool #2. He does hit for average and the short wall at Fenway helps his power stats...but seriously he is not a pure "power hitter"...which eliminates another tool. Tool #3 highly doubtful in a larger ballpark. His fielding is just awesome...tool #4 is for certain, no argument. His batting average is usually good, generally around .300( lifetime .303) so we'll surely give him tool #5. So we'll give Dustin a 2 1/2 tool player rating. This does not mean he isn't a great player, just that he doesn't run fast enough, throw well enough or have the raw power to be a 5 tool player. Incidently Pete Rose was not a "5 tool" player either. His biggest season for homeruns was 16 , career 160 over 24 seasons. no blazing speed, no throwing arm. Similar to Pedroia, yes...5 tool -NO. ...and as much as I like Pedroia...there is no way he is a "lock" for Hall of Fame at this point in his career. He's only played 5 1/2 seasons!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I didn't say Rose was a 5 tool player, and for the record, the running is not just speed, it's base-running ability. He does have 18/21 SBs.
    and to Qualify for power, I believe it's 20 HR's of better and Pedroia will most certainly surpass that. As far as his arm goes, it's much better than Youk's and just because he plays 2B doens't mean he doesn't have a strong one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

You folks forgot to include Roberto Clemente as a five-tool player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player : I didn't say Rose was a 5 tool player, and for the record, the running is not just speed, it's base-running ability. He does have 18/21 SBs. and to Qualify for power, I believe it's 20 HR's of better and Pedroia will most certainly surpass that. As far as his arm goes, it's much better than Youk's and just because he plays 2B doens't mean he doesn't have a strong one.

I think you may be on to something.  Pedroia's throws to first are strong and on the money, so why shouldn't that count...do you have to be an outfielder to qualify? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Why not go to the park with a radar gun and clock the speed of Youk's and Pedroia's throws to find the answer to this very important question. Don't speculate and pontificate.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Why not go to the park with a radar gun and clock the speed of Youk's and Pedroia's throws to find the answer to this very important question. Don't speculate and pontificate.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

'Don't pontificate' is kind of an ironic statement, coming from you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It doesn't matter if Pedroia qualifies as a 5 tool player or not.  He's the man.

Does he really have any weaknesses?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If Pedey doesn't make the HOF he will be the first MVP 2B in the AL not to do so. That being said I'm content just to watch the guy play, he's been nothing short of amazing lately.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Zilla, no offense, but there are some serious flaws in your "2.5 tool" post. 

A player's arm, for example, isn't just a measurement of strength; it's also the speed with which the player gets the ball out of his glove.  He knows exactly how much time he has and needs to deliver a successful throw. 

Your attempt to strip him of a "speed" star is off, too.  He needs to be laterally fast, and he is, to get to balls to both sides.  Look at his fielding percentage, Zilla.  There's a good reason it's so freaking high.  Laterally, he is one of the fastest in this game.  Furthermore, he's only been caught stealing 3 times this season (18/21).  

People who think a good base-stealer thrives solely on speed are way off here.  Pedey steals on the pitcher, not the catcher.  The reason he's stealing successfully has nothing to do with pure speed, but timing of the pitcher's move.  He will run on any pitcher who takes more than 1.6 to the plate.  This popped up in the game two days ago.  And obviously, it's working.

You need to add back the speed star, at the very least.  Criticize all you want, but when the dust settles after this season, he's going to be sitting atop most of the AL offensive categories.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]  People who think a good base-stealer thrives solely on speed are way off here.  Pedey steals on the pitcher, not the catcher.  The reason he's stealing successfully has nothing to do with pure speed, but timing of the pitcher's move.  He will run on any pitcher who takes more than 1.6 to the plate.  Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Despite not being blessed with blazing speed, Pedroia is the best baserunner on our team, and one of the best in baseball according to BP.  Being a good baserunner and base stealer requires good instincts and being able to read and anticipate the game situations.  No knock on Jacoby, but Pedey does this far better than Ells does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pedroia: The Quintessential 5 Tool Player : Despite not being blessed with blazing speed, Pedroia is the best baserunner on our team, and one of the best in baseball according to BP.  Being a good baserunner and base stealer requires good instincts and being able to read and anticipate the game situations.  No knock on Jacoby, but Pedey does this far better than Ells does.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

You are absolutely right Kimmi. Pedey runs circles around Ells when it comes to base-running skills. He has uncanny instincts on the base-paths which are essential in base-stealing.