Pedroia - trade or keep?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Pedroia - trade or keep?

Pedroia - getting older & has lost all pop in his bat.  Yes - he's a "leader" and fan favorite.

But a cold-hearted GM who is focused 100% on building another championship team should at least shop the guy around at the deadline.  You may get a lot more in return.

Mookie to 2B

Defense.  It is still important.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Pedroia - trade or keep?

Keep him. Best defensive 2b in baseball...takes away more hits and turns more DPs to help his pitchers. His offense is good enough to keep at 2b for another 5 to 6 years easily.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Pedroia - getting older & has lost all pop in his bat.  Yes - he's a "leader" and fan favorite.

But a cold-hearted GM who is focused 100% on building another championship team should at least shop the guy around at the deadline.  You may get a lot more in return.

Mookie to 2B

I can't even imagine the negativity from fans, as well as teammates, if the front office were to trade the 'heart and soul' of the present Sox team regardless of what they were to get in return. Losing Pedroia would approach the devastation of selling Babe to the Yankees.  And only the Lord knows how long it would take for the Sox to recover from such a betrayal by the front office.  And heaven help Betts or whoever was to take over at 2B if they don't perform like an All-Star right out of the gate.

And just to lengthen this post, many of the older members of the forum will certainly remember April 17, 1960, when Frank "Trader" Lane, the Indians GM, traded Rocky Colavito to the Detroit Tigers for Harvey Kuenn.  Colavito was Cleveland's most popular player, and perhaps the most popular player in their history.  Some Cleveland fans to this day have not forgiven the Indians.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Bingo...I remember when Glenn Hoffman became the Sox SS after Rick Burleson. It was sad. He was a weak hitter and only an adequate defensive player and he muffed 2 balls in the sun on opening day and Jimmy Piersall calling him out as a mistake...Burleson is no Pedroia.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

keep

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

They won't sell low...not him, now anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Keep. Hopefully playing hurt this year. Untradeable with contract.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

he is leading the team in most categories...however like Ellsbury it is not his best year and his team stinks...trade him for what? it better be an ace

As always - 100% correct!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

well, there is the "brain trust" (I use that term beyond loosely) on this board who will argue until they are blue in the face that Pedey has not lost his pop.  what can you do with those people i have absolutely no idea.

but to answer your question - in the words of "the old man" not just "NO!" but "HELL NO!!!"

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to VoiceofReason2014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

well, there is the "brain trust" (I use that term beyond loosely) on this board who will argue until they are blue in the face that Pedey has not lost his pop.  what can you do with those people i have absolutely no idea.

but to answer your question - in the words of "the old man" not just "NO!" but "HELL NO!!!"

[/QUOTE]

When a Sox fan gives up on Pedroia, he might as well go fishing for the rest of the summer. Why bother coming to a Sox forum and annoy others?

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you are saying so or not but I am not giving up on Pedey.  He has no more power, those days are over.  But I am not trading him ever........

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

This makes no sense to me.  Don't you root for the players?  Don't you have favorite players?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mookie to 2B

[/QUOTE]

Mod2 has stated that he will not tolerate those who come here with the sole purpose of stirring the pot.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is stirring the pot Pike. I think its a reasonable suggestion. Its all a matter of who you get in return. I do not view Pedroia as untouchable. If we can get a greater player in return, why not consider the trade? Hypothetically, if we could get Stanton for Pedey straight up, would you do it? I would. And I would put Betts back at his natural position at 2B.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

Well then one can surmise that Pedey has no power due to the injured wrist. Is that reason to give up on him? I don't get the need to bash.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody in his or her right mind is bashing Pedroia. He is a great player and if he gets traded we need to get a greater player in return. All I am saying is that its not totally out of the question, especially since we have Betts, a natural 2B, in the wings.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

yeah, and the next day the Marlins will trade Stanton, the Halos will trade Trout, and the Reds will trade Votto 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The chances of the Sox trading Pedey are as likely as me becoming President of the United States!