Pedroia wins Gold Glove

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pedroia wins Gold Glove

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 2m

Pedroia wins the Gold Glove at 2B. #redsox

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Pedroia wins Gold Glove

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 44s

Third career Gold Glove for Pedroia. Would venture to say that this was his best defensive season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 30m

Victorino is the winner in right field. Well deserved.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Outstanding news.  Pedey's glove has been unreal this series.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article/bos/red-sox-second-baseman-dustin-pedroia-right-fielder-shane-victorino-win-gold-glove-awards?ymd=20131029&content_id=63495576&vkey=news_bos

Pedroia, Victorino snag Gold Glove Awards

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've never respected this award since the last Jeter election and the time they gave the 1B GG award to a DH (Palmeiro in 1999).

Pedey was the best fielding 2Bman this year, but the Gold Glove Awards are a joke.

(Note: I don't respect the MVP either after Pedro was snubbed in 2000 after the most dominating season any MLB player has ever had in my lifetime.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've never respected this award since the last Jeter election and the time they gave the 1B GG award to a DH (Palmeiro in 1999).

Pedey was the best fielding 2Bman this year, but the Gold Glove Awards are a joke.

(Note: I don't respect the MVP either after Pedro was snubbed in 2000 after the most dominating season any MLB player has ever had in my lifetime.)

[/QUOTE]

Never forget that moon. George King & LaVelle Neal two writers left Pedro off their ballots completely. The yr was 99.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defensive metrics were given weight in the awards this year for the first time. In years past, the GG often went to the best offensive player at the position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pedroia should get a Platinum Glove, and a stack of Fielding Bibles.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Defensive metrics were given weight in the awards this year for the first time. In years past, the GG often went to the best offensive player at the position.

[/QUOTE]

....which by the way..makes very little sense to me. Why would you give a GG award to a position player based on what they do at the plate?

I'm glad that Pedroia won..it really should be a no-brainer. A pleasant surprise about Victorino as well. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

It's nice, but Palmero and Jeter pretty much ruined the award for me too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Call me a homer but using the statistics such as defensive runs saved and UZR, shouldn't Ellsbury and Napoli have the GG too?  Congratulations to Pedey and Victorino on snagging their GGs!

2013 World Series Champs, 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Never forget that moon. George King & LaVelle Neal two writers left Pedro off their ballots completely. The yr was 99.

[/QUOTE]

He should have won the MVP in 1999 and 2000.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Well deserved for both. Though it got lost after the obstruction call,  the play Pedroia made at the end of Game 3 was incredible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to youkillus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

....which by the way..makes very little sense to me. Why would you give a GG award to a position player based on what they do at the plate?

I'm glad that Pedroia won..it really should be a no-brainer. A pleasant surprise about Victorino as well. 

[/QUOTE]

Giving the award to a guy (Palmeiro) who only played 28 games at 1B tells it all. It's a beauty pageant and nothing more.

Jeter makes all the highlight reels, because he's a pretty boy from the media capital of the world, but he's been the worst fielding SS in MLB for the last 8-10 years. Giving him a GG was the last straw for me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well deserved for both. Though it got lost after the obstruction call,  the play Pedroia made at the end of Game 3 was incredible.

[/QUOTE]

Not lost on the purists of the game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I take it you never saw Sandy Koufax. I agree about GG, a lot of times it goes on reputation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pedroia should get a Platinum Glove, and a stack of Fielding Bibles.

[/QUOTE]

He did win the Fielding Bible award as well.  Only Hal Richman (Strat-o-Matic founder) did not give him a first place vote.  Interesting to note, the top 5 1B in the Fielding Bible voting were all NL players.  The first AL firstbaseman?  Mike Napoli.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Moon you shouldn't get down on the MVP award because of a single, idiotic choice by one shortsighted person

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Not buying the argument against Jeter.  His fielding percentage was far better than that of his competition for a long time.  He made plays on a consistent basis that rivaled some of the greats at that position.  Why the hate for Jeter?  Which SS should have won the award if not the one with the greatest fielding percentage?  He barely missed any games at all in those seasons. 

If one is going to argue against Jeter, then what do people think of Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, or Ripken?   

Palmiero I get.  Ridiculous.  Especially in light of the PED thing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Makes sense though.  The hate for Jeter is the same as the disrespect for Drew at shortstop vis-a-vis Iglesias.  Range and flashy leather always draw attention.  People love a web gem.  But something has to be said for savvy positioning, smooth turning of the DP, precision throws, minimum mistakes, and grace under pressure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I stopped looking at this award since they gave it to jeter

What a shame

It used to mean something

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I stopped looking at this award since they gave it to jeter

What a shame

It used to mean something

[/QUOTE]

well andrew to this red sox fan it still does mean something. too bad that they passed on drew and jackoby! drew has been an absolute magician at SS. I think he put the patent on that going to his left,spinning and throwing a strike naps at first.

Sections
Shortcuts