Pedroia's Contract Ext

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

Pedroia's Contract Ext

This RS organization simply does not learn from their mistakes.  Long, long, long term big money contracts have historically been the undoing of this organization yet they still refuse to wake up! 

Not only are long term big money contracts an extreme gamble but also in this case (Pedroia) and in my opinion his "worth" to this or any team is not at a sufficient enough level to warrant this amount of money and duration.  He is, at best, slightly above an average player.  He is not a player who can or will control the game and set it's destiny.

There is nobody currently on the RS who warrants this type of big money contract.                                                   

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Pedroia's Contract Ext

In response to bingobilly's comment:

This RS organization simply does not learn from their mistakes.  Long, long, long term big money contracts have historically been the undoing of this organization yet they still refuse to wake up! 

Not only are long term big money contracts an extreme gamble but also in this case (Pedroia) and in my opinion his "worth" to this or any team is not at a sufficient enough level to warrant this amount of money and duration.  He is, at best, slightly above an average player.  He is not a player who can or will control the game and set it's destiny.

There is nobody currently on the RS who warrants this type of big money contract.                                                   

If you consider 14+ million/year on average for a top player as "big money", you haven't been paying attention to some of the contracts that have been handed out in recent years.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think it is a good, fair contract. I am not sure that another team would have offered him more. Pedroia is not what you would call a superstar, but he is a very, very good all around ball player and a valuable asset to the team. Extremely popular player. Long term contracts are always a gamble, but Pedroia is certainly less of a gamble than most. You can be sure that if he ever fails to produce, it will not be from a lack of effort or complacency with the security of his deal. I think it is a good deal for him and for team and for the fans.

Stabbed by Foulke.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Not to mention, with all the young infielders coming up through the organization I like the idea of Pedroia being there to show them how the game should be played

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

If you consider 14+ million/year on average for a top player as "big money", you haven't been paying attention to some of the contracts that have been handed out in recent years.

[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the payroll of the TB Rays and measure it against their success on the field.  Millions of dollars no mater in what context is still a hugh amount of money.  Why do you think the average price for a ticket to this year's All Star game in NY was $800?  What chance does Joe Sixpack have to attend the nation's pastime in today's world!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the payroll of the TB Rays and measure it against their success on the field.  Millions of dollars no mater in what context is still a hugh amount of money.  Why do you think the average price for a ticket to this year's All Star game in NY was $800?  What chance does Joe Sixpack have to attend the nation's pastime in today's world!

[/QUOTE]

It's that's your issue, then there are a lot of players making more money than Pedrioa.

Tampa is where they are because they have a real knack for developing starting pitching.

Good for them.

Sorr you can't afford to take the family to the game.

But that's hardly Pedrioa's doing.

If he had settled on 5 million /year, do you think the Sox would have reduced ticket prices?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bingobilly, can't you just be happy for Pedroia and the Red Sox?    LOL

As for ticket prices, if you can afford it then great, if not, then there are many other ways to enjoy the game without spending a lot of money.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think it is a good, fair contract. I am not sure that another team would have offered him more. Pedroia is not what you would call a superstar, but he is a very, very good all around ball player and a valuable asset to the team. Extremely popular player. Long term contracts are always a gamble, but Pedroia is certainly less of a gamble than most. You can be sure that if he ever fails to produce, it will not be from a lack of effort or complacency with the security of his deal. I think it is a good deal for him and for team and for the fans.

Stabbed by Foulke.

He is the second best 2nd baseman in baseball and will make considerably less than Cano when Cano signs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's that's your issue, then there are a lot of players making more money than Pedrioa.

Tampa is where they are because they have a real knack for developing starting pitching.

Good for them.

If he had settled on 5 million /year, do you think the Sox would have reduced ticket prices?

[/QUOTE]

1.  The Rays are where they are WITHOUT paying their players outlandish inflated salaries.

2.  Yes, it is Pedrioa's indirect doing.  He is a part of the business of baseball just as the owners are a part of it.  Although agents are the big culprits, it was and is a group effort to take the national pastime out of the realm of Joe Sixpack and more importantly Joe Sixpacks kids.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

1.  The Rays are where they are WITHOUT paying their players outlandish inflated salaries.

2.  Yes, it is Pedrioa's indirect doing.  He is a part of the business of baseball just as the owners are a part of it.  Although agents are the big culprits, it was and is a group effort to take the national pastime out of the realm of Joe Sixpack and more importantly Joe Sixpacks kids.

Well, then you can certainly boycott MLB.

Or become a Rays fan.

No one is forcing you to watch the Sox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bingobilly. Show bingobilly's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

He is the second best 2nd baseman in baseball and will make considerably less than Cano when Cano signs.

[/QUOTE]

Says what agent?  Second base has nothing to do with it; he is a slightly above average "ballplayer" who has very limited power with an exagerated swing which probably will land him on the DL as he gets older.  As a matter of fact, second base is considered a minor field position as opposed to short and third.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good for them.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Longoria signed the similar contract. If the Rays could sell out they would have more and sign more players. The Rays got this good because they were so bad for so long. The keep trading known talent for prospects until they had enough  young talent from the draft and trades to compete. You don't think they are going not try to sign Price? Longoria and Price are the two best players to ever come through the TB system and they are going to fight like hell to keep both.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I can't believe a Red Sox fan is complaining about the new Pedroia deal.   LOL

Pedroia deserves every dollar of it.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Boggles the mind.

It's not often that guys like Longoria and Pedrioa sign team friendly deals.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

[QUOTE]

Boggles the mind.

It's not often that guys like Longoria and Pedrioa sign team friendly deals.

[/QUOTE]

Doesnt sound like a Sox fan

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

its a good contract for all - my only concern is DP plays so hard that by 35 he may be spent - which is still ok by me if he gets paid til 37

As always - 100% correct!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

This is why we fight DG. Why would you say such a thing? Pedroia has been among the best players in baseball since he came into the league. Since 2007, He is 7th in MLB in WAR (33.2) and 3rd among AL players behind Longo (34.1) and Miguel Cabrera (33.6). You don't think a top 10 player deserves to make 14+ a year? Considering Robbie Cano (32.4 WAR) about to get a record setting contract this winter he could have easily waited 6 months and cashed in then. Getting a similar deal.

This contract is a STEAL. He's making less money than BJ upton!

www.google.com

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

This is why we fight DG. Why would you say such a thing? Pedroia has been among the best players in baseball since he came into the league. Since 2007, He is 7th in MLB in WAR (33.2) and 3rd among AL players behind Longo (34.1) and Miguel Cabrera (33.6). You don't think a top 10 player deserves to make 14+ a year? Considering Robbie Cano (32.4 WAR) about to get a record setting contract this winter he could have easily waited 6 months and cashed in then. Getting a similar deal.

This contract is a STEAL. He's making less money than BJ upton!

www.google.com

[/QUOTE]

Its a deal and a half for the Sox, and Pedey. 13.75M annually for Pedey is quite the team friendly deal, considering Drew made that much. Besides his production, which is at the top of the list in MLB and for 2nd basemen. Pedey also brings the intangibles too. Leadership, how he plays the game and handles his business on and off the field, great fan support. Hes everything the Sox want leading them over the next decade. Hes already helped Iggy out tremendously with his game, and with all the young players coming up over the next few years, having Pedey there as a core player and leader is very important. Not sure the last 2 years will be great, but Im willing to bet that he will have earned all the money hes set to make by then.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

The cost of tickets to a game and Pedroia's below-market contract extension are NOT related. 

The Sox fell into a bad habit of finding the grass greener on the other side and letting go players who they knew could play here for players who they thought could play here. 

They realized the err of their ways and they started back on the right path by signing Ortiz in the offseason to a two year deal and now by locking up the "little engine" of this team in Pedroia. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Look, Pedroia is a terrific all around player. I'm not knocking him. 100 million is a lot of money. I think it is a fair contract. He deserves it.  I am not sure how " team friendly " it is.  Would another team have given him more in free agency ?  We will never know. Like I said , I think it is a fair contract for both sides.

Stabbed by Foulke

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I find the perks to be interesting.  He gets his own suite when on the road?  and he gets to BUY tickets to ST, RS, & playoff games???

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to GYBoston's comment:

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not to mention, with all the young infielders coming up through the organization I like the idea of Pedroia being there to show them how the game should be played

It is good to have a balanced mix of veterans and young players, but I think by the time the kids get to fenway, they have an idea on how the game should be played.

[/QUOTE]

Theyve been taught and told things, but when they actually get to MLB veteran leadership is extremely valuable. Those kids will still be looking to the vets to answer questions and help them with some things to be a successful MLB player. The learning never stops.