Pedroia's Contract Ext

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Re: Pedroia's Contract Ext

Combining two thoughts into one post here...

Now that we see that part of Pedey's money is deferred interest-free over even more years it's hard to determine just how much the AAV really is, but it gets lower the more we hear about it.  As I think it was George said when he signed one of his early million-dollar contracts, "People think it's a lot of money but if we could spread it out over enough years we could cover it with an office collection."

Pedey is being really smart about this.  He knows he's not going to play forever so he's signed for enough to invest a good portion of his income and still give him a great lifestyle while he's playing, and given himself some "transition income" after his playing days are done.  The more I see of how he handles his life the better I like him.

Thought #2, and related to thought #1,

This whole salary thing sometimes has me scratching my head.  Pedey is going to be making somewhere near $13M year.  Ok, I can buy that.  He's a proven quantity, one of the best 2B in the game, who brings a lot more than his talent to the table.  And I do think we're getting him 'on the cheap' - if you can call $100M "Cheap".  Smile

And now we're also talking about $60M for five years ($12M/yr) for Miguel Gonzalez, a player who's never thrown a pitch in MLB.  Whaaaa?  Does anyone other than me see the inconsistency here? 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to S5's comment:

Now that we see that part of Pedey's money is deferred interest-free over even more years it's hard to determine just how much the AAV really is, but it gets lower the more we hear about it.  As I think it was George said when he signed one of his early million-dollar contracts, "People think it's a lot of money but if we could spread it out over enough years we could cover it with an office collection."

Pedey is being really smart about this.  He knows he's not going to play forever so he's signed for enough to invest a good portion of his income and still give him a great lifestyle while he's playing, and given himself some "transition income" after his playing days are done.  The more I see of how he handles his life the better I like him.

This whole salary thing sometimes has me scratching my head.  Pedey is going to be making somewhere near $13M year.  Ok, I can buy that.  He's a proven quantity, one of the best 2B in the game, who brings a lot more than his talent to the table.  And I do think we're getting him 'on the cheap' - if you can call $100M "Cheap".  Smile

And now we're also talking about $60M for five years ($12M/yr) for Miguel Gonzalez, a player who's never thrown a pitch in MLB.  Whaaaa?  Does anyone other than me see the inconsistency here? 

The solution for that would be to make all foreign players subject to the MLB draft, just like the American kids. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The solution for that would be to make all foreign players subject to the MLB draft, just like the American kids. 

He isn't a kid. He is a 26 year professional from a foreign league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Pitchers are usually worth more than position players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good discussion, thanks everyone.  I really agree with S5 about Gonzalez--a lot of money for a virtual unknown even though age 26.  As for Pedroia, I think it's good for him and the team, and I definitely don't think he has been greedy. 

Sections
Shortcuts