Personal memories of Johnny Pesky...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Personal memories of Johnny Pesky...

I appologise for seeming selfish here and starting a 3rd thread on the passing of Johnny Pesky, Mr. Johnny Pesky. I only wanted to share my real-life experiene(s) with Johnny with anyone who would care to read them;  I may have told it before when it did not matter as much.

In 1999 I met Johnny Pesky at the City of Palms spring training facility. The entire spring Pesky contributed to morning work-outs by hitting fungos to the prospects, then I believe he was 79 years old.

Throughout the summer of 1999 Johnny Pesky visited the Lowell Spinners team in Lowell about six times. Each game he would dress out in uniform and go out onto the field to hit some fungos or just chat with the "kids".  He would come back to the locker room, change-out, shower and I would carry his leather gym bag to his car; I believe it was a Caddy, but I cannot exactly remember. I'd have to say Johnny's memory at 79 was sharper than mine now!  

Most of my conversations with Mr. Pesky were me bouncing names like "Reggie Smith" or "Ben Oglive" off him and watching the legend pause, lean back and start each response with "Good kid..."  Normally if not 100% of the time he had nothing but great things to say about each players name I brought up.  I tried to go deep a  couple of times with him by asking about players like "Mike Garmen" or some obscure player .. obscure to me but not Johnny Pesky.

Johnny was very humorous, often making jokes about his age. I would have liked to have known him longer, asked him more, but I can say I did know Johnny Pesky on some level more than watching a tele or reading an article.

Perhaps the most lasting memory I have, though my memory forbays me from recalling who in the group specifically answered me that day at City of Palms, is when I asked Johnny, Charlie Wagner, and Eddie Popowski "Where are you guys going tomorrow on the day-off?" Answer:  "We are going to Ted's house."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Personal memories of Johnny Pesky...

Nice post, Buritto. Thanks for sharing it. He'll be missed by Red Sox Nation and all who knew him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Thanks for posting that

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Never got to meet him, but I read the book about Doerr, Pesky, Williams. One story I do recall was how Pesky basically turned Rice into a Wall expert by pounding the Monster with fungo after fungo. He probably helped 100 to 200 Sox players get better by just his relentless fungo hitting alone. Great coach and great motivator by all accounts. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

I had the pleasure to meet and talk to Mr. Pesky at the Sox spring training facility in Winterhaven in 1984. He was hitting fungoes and my wife asked who he was. I mentioned he was one of the all time great Sox players. He must have heard the comment because he came over, tossed me a baseball and chatted for several minutes with us about the Sox. He laughed when I told him I became a Sox fan because my dad was a Yankee fan and I wanted to be different. RIP Mr. Pesky

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Nice story Burrito, thanks for sharing.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, or even watching him play, but every person that I know who has had that pleasure has nothing but good things to say about their experiences.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Wonderful post, Burrito.

Thank you for sharing your memories.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I remember my very first game at Fenway, was May of 1950. Like the kid in the movie Fever Pitch as soon as i walked up the runway I was hooked.  Pesky Williams what a great combo. They both gave the best years of their baseball lives to their country, Williams twice, and never cried about it.  Pesky wasnt a super star, in fact alot of people today would cry to have him traded, but he became every bit as much as the Red Sox as the uniform.
      I was also lucky to go with my dad to Braves field before they moved.  RIP Johnny your the last of the great generation and lets hope your spirit does not go with you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I remember two things about Pesky. 

The first, and least important, is that during one spring training season City of Palms park was selling copies of his book and Pesky would autograph it if you wanted.  The great thing was that if you wanted him to autograph it he also would take as much time as you wanted to talk with him.  He always had times for fans.

My second, and probably most lasting memory, is one of him that I saw on TV.  I can still remember seeing him raising the 2004 World Series Championship flag over Fenway Park and the look on his face said it all.. THIS was the best moment of his life.

RIP, Johnny.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Johnny Pesky seemed to live and breathe the Red Sox even long after he was playing. It must have been awesome for the guys who were just starting out to have him there with them, and he must have loved it as well. So great that he was able to maintain that connection until the end of his life. I think it's more than fitting that he has a pole in his name that will always be in Fenway. A little piece of him will always remain where he loved to be, and where fans always loved to have him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Great so see others having had the pleasure to meet one of the finest gentlemen in all of baseball. I am sure he is presently spending time up there with his family but it won't be long before he gives Ted a hug.