Perspective

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Perspective

The Sox are on track right now to win 96 games and it seems like 96 should get the job done.  Will they get there?  Who knows?  Not me.  There are still some significant holes in the team, not the least of which is RP.  But Napoli appears to be coming around again and Gomes and Carp continue to produce in their roles.  100 games is too late in the season to be talking about "small sample size" so it appears that this team just may be pretty darn good!

Tampa Bay seems at this moment to be the team of the present though.  They're streaking, having won 19 of their last 22 and they're within 1/2 game of the top.  Were I a Rays fan that would concern me.  I don't believe that the Rays are an .860 team any more than I believed that Iggy was a .500+ hitter.  Things have a way of evening out.   I'm not saying the Rays are going to lose 19 of 22 at any point, but if they find themselves mired in a four game losing streak or lose four out of six they could find themselves falling back in a hurry in a close division.  And I'm of the opinion that a losing streak is inevitable at some point for the Rays, just because history teaches us that those things happen.

The Sox have gotten to where they are by being consistent.  The saying, "it's a marathon and not a sprint" comes to mind immediately as does, "Slow and steady wins the race".  However, if the Rays continue to win 19 of 22 or even 15 of 20 from here on in they'll win 100 games and I'll just tip my hat to them and say, "Wow.  This team is really good."  But I don't think it's going to happen.

Stay the course, Red Sox.  Even if the Sox lose tonight it's not the end of the world.  There are still almost 60 games left to play and the AL East belongs to any of the top three teams (sorry Y's, but unless you put together a 19 of 22 streak of your own you're pretty much out of it) who can play consistent baseball from here on in.  

Ben, a little help for the pen and I still think this team is in business! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Re: Perspective

good post...........Ben does need to make some moves though............and we need a consistent big bat.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

good post...........Ben does need to make some moves though............and we need a consistent big bat.........

Many good hitters are streaky. To get a solid and consistent big bat, we'd have to give up a lot. 

Any players in mind? Possible packages involved?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Many good hitters are streaky. To get a solid and consistent big bat, we'd have to give up a lot. 

not sure just yet.........but if we move WM for Peavy...we may have to really go after Michael Young...and I'm not sold on that. What do you know about him Moon? is he a good pickup for the Sox?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Chicago still has some options of moving Dunn and Alex Rios.........maybe expanding the trade......Dunn strike out alot/Rios batting in the mid 200's I think....add something to a Peavy/WM trade?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

not sure just yet.........but if we move WM for Peavy...we may have to really go after Michael Young...and I'm not sold on that. What do you know about him Moon? is he a good pickup for the Sox?

[/QUOTE]

I'm not too high on M Young. 

M. Young would play 3B and Iggy SS. The defense we gain at SS would be lost at 3B. The offense we gain with Young over Drew is not great enough to give up anything of value.

Young

vs RHP .772 (.643 in 2012 & .775 career)

vs LHP .695 (.794 in 2012 & .829 career)

S Drew

vs RHP .767 (.697 in 2012 & .783 career)

vs LHP .566 (.563 in 2012 & .687 career)

All I see with M Young is an improvement on offense vs LHPs. We face LH'd starters about 35% of the time, so Young would ride the bench most of the games. 

Drew/Iggy are better defensively than Iggy/Young.

I think we can find a platoon 3Bman for cheaper than M Young.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Chicago still has some options of moving Dunn and Alex Rios.........maybe expanding the trade......Dunn strike out alot/Rios batting in the mid 200's I think....add something to a Peavy/WM trade?

Where would Dunn play? 1B? LF? DH? RF?

No, No, No, and No.

Unless we have an injury, I don't like Dunn more than Napoli, Nava, Papi or Victorino. I'm not even sure he's better than Carp or Gomes.

Alex Rios is good, but I do not see any upgrade he brings to the Sox as worth the cost of getting him.

Ideally, the position we can make the biggest gain in is 3B. If we do trade Middy for Peavy, I could see a push to get a solid 3Bman, but with Boggy and Cecchini waiting in the wings, I'm not sure it happens beyond a 2 month rental/platoon type deal. Maybe Michael Young is that guy, but I would not give up a top 15 or 20 prospects for him. I'd give some rule 5 type prospects only.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

what about an aging Scott Rolen...for a temp pickup?........I think the Dodgers were looking at him also

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

One thing to note is that in 17 of those 22 games, the Rays have played Houston (7), Chicago WS (3), Minnesota (4), and Toronto (3) . Give them credit for beating the teams that they should beat, but those opponents are certainly a factor in the Rays current hot streak.

Meanwhile, as S5 points out, the Red Sox have been remarkably consistent. Credit to Valentine for posting this:

First 20 games: 13-7
    Next 20 games: 10-10
    Next 20 games: 13-7
    Next 20 games: 11-9
    Next 20 games: 13-7

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Do you sell low on WMB, or do you believe he can play better where he has much more value?

I think the Sox believe he is better. Your getting an oft hurt and on DL pitcher, who when healthy is a TOTR arm. Kinda like Buchholz. Do we want 2 of those next year? Everyone gets excited about the name Peavy, and for good reason. I also understand that even though he threw 32 starts in 2012. He had not started 30 games since 2006. The last time he started over 20 times, minus last year, was 2007. Thats risky for a guy oqwd about 6.5M this year and 14.5 in 2014, with a player option for 2015. He probably wont get the innings needed for the oiption to be active since hes only at 73IP so far this year and needs 200IP.

Im not saying Peavy isnt good, or would even be a bad fit here. Just remember that trading for peavy certainly has its big risks too, and for a pricetag of a prospect or 2 and 20M worth of salary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Move Middlebrooks, Salty & Drew for pitching.......   Bogarts to play 3rd, IGGY SS, and bring up the phenom catcher !!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Do you sell low on WMB, or do you believe he can play better where he has much more value?

I think the Sox believe he is better. Your getting an oft hurt and on DL pitcher, who when healthy is a TOTR arm. Kinda like Buchholz. Do we want 2 of those next year? Everyone gets excited about the name Peavy, and for good reason. I also understand that even though he threw 32 starts in 2012. He had not started 30 games since 2006. The last time he started over 20 times, minus last year, was 2007. Thats risky for a guy oqwd about 6.5M this year and 14.5 in 2014, with a player option for 2015. He probably wont get the innings needed for the oiption to be active since hes only at 73IP so far this year and needs 200IP.

Im not saying Peavy isnt good, or would even be a bad fit here. Just remember that trading for peavy certainly has its big risks too, and for a pricetag of a prospect or 2 and 20M worth of salary.

I think WM is worth more than a straight up for Peavy...so I wouldn't do that only.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Move Middlebrooks, Salty & Drew for pitching.......   Bogarts to play 3rd, IGGY SS, and bring up the phenom catcher !!!

whos the phenom catcher to bring up? The one in AA or the one in high A?

Oh, and just so you dont go all trade drew salty and Ellsbury crazy, heres what the GM has to say about tradingplayers currently on the team...

“We’re certainly not going to take away from the major-league team right now. We’ve got a chance to win. We’re trying to help the major-league team, not take away from it,” said Cherington. “As far as the minor-league system, we’ve got a lot of really good players and players that get asked about all the time, players that we value and think are going to be here for a long time. It depends on the situation.”

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Oh, and just so you dont go all trade drew salty and Ellsbury crazy, heres what the GM has to say about tradingplayers currently on the team...

“We’re certainly not going to take away from the major-league team right now. We’ve got a chance to win. We’re trying to help the major-league team, not take away from it,” said Cherington. “As far as the minor-league system, we’ve got a lot of really good players and players that get asked about all the time, players that we value and think are going to be here for a long time. It depends on the situation.”

I'm guessing he's not referring to "the next Carlton Fisk".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, that was Lava. I guess Lava is the next Fisk, and Vazquez is the next Bench.

Who needs Salty?

LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Unless he wasnt aware that hes been the BU catcher in Boston for a while now.

By the team not even playing Lavarnway against just LHP says a lot to what they think about him, or how they feel about Salty. Take your pick.

The "phenom catcher" would then have to be either A) Dan Butler (26yo-AAA) probably a solid BU on a contender and a starter on a KC, A's, rays, or Houston type low budget team. B) rank:#19, Christian Vasquez (23yo-AA) Who, although probably ready defensively, has more work to do and probably wont be ready until 2015 at the earliest. C) rank:#10, Blake Swihart (21yo-HighA) Minimum or 2+ years away. D) rank:#16, Jon Denney (18yo-GLC) who was just drafted last month.

Are any of them considered "Phenoms"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

A big thank you--for once again making an insupportable pronouncement.  I respect your right to an opinion, but don't have to agree with it. 

Sections
Shortcuts