Pete Abe's roster prediction, 2.0

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Pete Abe's roster prediction, 2.0

I gotta say, even though he is probably pretty close to right, I hate the way this is shaping up.  To have Nava, Carp and Sweeney all make the opening day roster would be very hard to see.  I for one would much rather see one or more of the following make it:  Iglesias, Linares, Bradley Jr., Lavarnway, or even Gomez.  This is the Sox chance to get both younger and much better defensively.  Moving Napoli to DH to put a fringe roster guy like Carp, Nava or Overbay at first is lame.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Pete Abe's roster prediction, 2.0

Carp and Sweeney are both younger than Linares and Gomez and as good defensively, maybe even better. ..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to cassvt2004's comment:

I gotta say, even though he is probably pretty close to right, I hate the way this is shaping up.  To have Nava, Carp and Sweeney all make the opening day roster would be very hard to see.  I for one would much rather see one or more of the following make it:  Iglesias, Linares, Bradley Jr., Lavarnway, or even Gomez.  This is the Sox chance to get both younger and much better defensively.  Moving Napoli to DH to put a fringe roster guy like Carp, Nava or Overbay at first is lame.

Fear not young man,    Continued "TRANSFORMATION", COMING !!!  In the form of a "BLOCKBUSTER"  !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Carp and Sweeney are both younger than Linares and Gomez and as good defensively, maybe even better. ..

Carp career UZR/150 OF = -14

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Sweeney has awful power for an outfielder. He's a singles hitter. And you didn't respond to JBJ making the team over Sweeney.

If JBJ continues to excel in spring training, why not plug him in LF, put Gomes at DH, and have Napoli at 1B. This would clear Sweeney or Carp off roster, get Carp out of the lineup, and put JBJ in the starting lineup (not sitting on the bench).

Who cares about the arbitration clock. Play the best players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Sweeney has awful power for an outfielder. He's a singles hitter. And you didn't respond to JBJ making the team over Sweeney.

If JBJ continues to excel in spring training, why not plug him in LF, put Gomes at DH, and have Napoli at 1B. This would clear Sweeney or Carp off roster, get Carp out of the lineup, and put JBJ in the starting lineup (not sitting on the bench).

Amen. f*k the arb clock.  

JBJ just launched 1st ST HR against the major league pitcher.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

JBJ homered on the first pitch he saw today. I would take him over Sweeney any day.

Great opportunity if he continues to play well to make him the everyday LF. Gomes DH, and Napoli at 1B. Easy decision.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Your point is well taken Notin, but only in the context of the several options the Sox now have with the Ortiz injury.  Gomez would be my least favorite of the moves, and he would strictly be the DH, so defense is a moot point with him.  Linares can hit.  That is not in dispute.  I have read less than flattering things about his defense, but he has in fact played all three outfield spots in the minors.  Plus we are planning on starting Jonny Gomes in the outfield.  Enough said.  I like Sweeney's defense.  I saw how good it can be last year before he punched the wall.  But he is 6'4" and hasn't hit a homerun in over two years.  He is a 5th outfielder, and no one seemed to be clamoring for him when the Sox gave him the spring training invite.  The youth and defensive upgrades i specifically want to see are Iglesias and/or Bradley Jr.  22 & 23 yrs old respectively and no one can argue that they are both ML ready defensively.  One allows us to have Drew DH some and have that other lefty bat in the lineup.  The other would allow us to move Gomes to DH and have a more versitile lineup.  Aren't Carp and Nava kind of redundant anyways?  We have seen ones ceiling already. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Very embarrassing, Nava and Sweeney.

Based on what Cherry has on the farm and from his own shananigans, the OF'ers should be:

LF Shane and Gomes in a platoon

CF Ellsbury (doesn't have the throwing arm to play anywhere else)

RF Bradley (should be playing everyday)

your still sticking to that pitiful excuse for a platoon?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Based on what Cherry has on the farm and from his own shananigans, the OF'ers should be:

Another   B I N G O   !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

As dirty as this makes me feel......I do agree with your outfield..... minus the childish comments.  I really was not a huge fan of the money spent on Vic or Gomes.....I like them as players...but for 50 million feel as if they could have done better.  I also agree that JBJ should start.  I was reluctant at first....and up until last week said he should be sent down.  But he really should be the full time starter now.  HOWEVER....IF he does not get full time at bats and platoon....he should NOT be here yet.  He is being groomed as a full time player....not a part time player so he needs all the reps he can get.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

As dirty as this makes me feel......I do agree with your outfield..... minus the childish comments.  I really was not a huge fan of the money spent on Vic or Gomes.....I like them as players...but for 50 million feel as if they could have done better.  I also agree that JBJ should start.  I was reluctant at first....and up until last week said he should be sent down.  But he really should be the full time starter now.  HOWEVER....IF he does not get full time at bats and platoon....he should NOT be here yet.  He is being groomed as a full time player....not a part time player so he needs all the reps he can get.

It must hurt yo to say that you agree with SOFTY ???   May I suggest that yor go to the BDC SORRY THREAD and record your hurt & say your SORRY  !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

Carp career UZR/150 OF = -14

But what is Gomez' UZR?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

That lineup is still possible.

Also still possible -Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Victorino in RF with Gomes at DH against Lhp.  Carp or Overbsy against RHP (or at 1b vs RHP with Napoli at DH)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

It must hurt yo to say that you agree with SOFTY ???   May I suggest that yor go to the BDC SORRY THREAD and record your hurt & say your SORRY  !!!!

You know William....you're right.  I feel very sorry that an otherwise likeable senior member to our society has turned out to be so full of hate and slings insults and racist remarks.....  There...how was that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

JBJ simply is the best player on the Red Sox right now period.  I don't care if he's 22 or didn't have AAA experience or his free agency clock will be ticking.  Figure something out and start him on the opening day.  Fans deserve to see him playing in the major league after back to back disappointing seasons.  The young man has .500+ AVG, .600 OBP.  I don't see why he's not ready to play for the Boston Red Sox.  If he's not ready, no one on the team is ready.    

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Also still possible -Bradley in LF, Ellsbury in CF, Victorino in RF with Gomes at DH against Lhp.  Carp or Overbsy against RHP (or at 1b vs RHP with Napoli at DH)

[/QUOTE]

Carp career  vs RHP:    .721       vs LHP:   .802

Gomes career vs  RHP:   .731     vs LHP:   .894

http://bosoxinjection.com/2013/03/11/jonny-gomes-ryan-sweeney-and-maximizing-advantages/

((  "" Last season, player Y hit .287/.365/.474 with 18 home runs and 63 RBI in less than a season’s worth of at bats. Similarly, player Z hit .282/.346/.478 with 25 home runs and 95 RBI last season. This upcoming season, player Y is scheduled to make approximately $7 million while player Z will make $14 million as part of the $100 million extension he signed last offseason. Player Z is Ryan Zimmerman. Player Y is Gomes and Sweeney and their numbers against the platoon last season. While this fails to account Zimmerman’s superior defensive abilities  ""  ))

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

Putting Bradley in the lineup is a double win.  It makes the lineup stronger w/ an on base pct. guy, a speed guy, and a spark plug.  It also makes the defense much better by sliding Gomes to DH.  I'm fine w/ Carp making the team as the LH hitting OF/1B.  I think we have seen all we need to out of Nava though.  Good story but time to move on. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I agree with Softy on most things, but last week when I said JBJ should be on the roster, he responded by saying don't start the arb clock.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

That lineup is still possible.

That is what I stated. It will be a farce if Sweeney makes the team. No one will pick him up if the Red Sox dump him. Who wants an OF who can't hit HRs?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I have no issue with JBJ heading north with the team as long as he plays 100% of the time. If not, then it makes no sense to start his arbitration clock.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

If Bradley goes north with the team he has to play right in Fenway, not left. Why would you put your BEST defensive outfielder in left field in Fenway.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

You need a back up. You need some one who can play all 3 positions and come off the bench. JBJ is can't come off the bench. He would have to be the starter so either Sweeney or Carp would make the roster. Probably both and Nava would be sent down.