Pete Rose

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Re: Pete Rose

In response to dannycater's comment:

I wonder how Bench, Morgan think now?

hopefully they are honest with themselves

and recall how their teammates and most likely themselves

drank the Gatorade marked 'high test 'with the greenies in it

Rose should go in and he should be reinstated and when he got his 4,000 hits and broke the record for all-time hits, he did so as a clean player.

do you really think he didn't use amphetamines

why do so many say he only bet to win ( not that is matters all that much)

the story goes he made a deal with MLB

well if he got a lifetime ban after making a deal

just what did he get out of the deal ?

keeping the fact that he did bet against his team quiet ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Rose should go in and he should be reinstated and when he got his 4,000 hits and broke the record for all-time hits, he did so as a clean player.

For starters, this is accusatory speculation. For finishers, in those days, based on Bouton's book Ball Four, practically the entire league did them from time to time; you can start with Mays, Mantle, Clemente, & Aaron, who admitted it. It was commonly used to recover from festive evenings the night before, dreary travel, summer fatigue, availability, or a combination of. Use was occassional; it's not something you could do day after day.

Regardless, IMO Rose should be inducted in the HOF, and his plaque should cite the issue; Shoeless Joe too. For some reason, I don't feel that way about PEDers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

amphetamines by their nature make you peppy, what they don't do is make you stronger, make you physically stronger/athletic to increase the number of feet a ball goes, or increase the velocity of a fastball by 10 MPH...From a rehab point of view, they don't do a damn thing to rehab your body other than short quick fix couple of hours maybe at best to make you feel like you aren't tired and dead to the world. PEDs can turn your injury rehab from 6 months to 1. Amphetamines don't do that. Enough about the incredibly ignorant comparisons. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

amphetamines by their nature make you peppy, what they don't do is make you stronger, make you physically stronger/athletic to increase the number of feet a ball goes, or increase the velocity of a fastball by 10 MPH...From a rehab point of view, they don't do a damn thing to rehab your body other than short quick fix couple of hours maybe at best to make you feel like you aren't tired and dead to the world. PEDs can turn your injury rehab from 6 months to 1. Amphetamines don't do that. Enough about the incredibly ignorant comparisons. 

never said they were the same thing

but they both help the players performance

and are now both illegal for mlb players

therefore I don't agree about rose and the others

getting credit for taking  the moral high ground when it comes to being clean

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to nhsteven's comment:

I think enough is enough. IMO he's done his penance. He's not even allowed to go to a ballgame as a fan. Meanwhile some former players that were PED users are coaches. It's also clear, despite his mistakes, that he loves the game. When this sham of a commisioner retires (see PEDs) , his successor should reinstate him.  

He should be in the Hall for what he did on the field as a player.

Ban him from the game for what he did as a manager.

I see the yanks let the last of the "3 bees" out of the hive last night.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

I think enough is enough. IMO he's done his penance. He's not even allowed to go to a ballgame as a fan. Meanwhile some former players that were PED users are coaches. It's also clear, despite his mistakes, that he loves the game. When this sham of a commisioner retires (see PEDs) , his successor should reinstate him.  

greetings HH

I believe those were ''3 killer bees''

making betances a reliever produced some pretty good results in the minors this yr

not so much last night

not that the error helped him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

TWM,

No one including Giamati, Vincent and Selig would argue that he deserves to be in the Hall based on his career achievements on the field. I'm pretty certain that those that are responsible for oversight of the Hall would have dedicated an entire room to champion him. Given how much we revel in the accomplishments of the greatest players of all time. Rose is not the only one that has lost something. The game itself and the Hall has lost the opportunity to bestow upon Rose the all time hits leader and only the second player in it's storied history of more than 100 years to surpass 4000 hits the immortal tittle of hall of famer. 

What none of us know is the extent of his transgressions. Which must have been dire in that he and his lawyers negotiated with MLB and ultimately agreed to his banishment from the game. In saying that Rose was never contrite and honest about his role in his banishment.

In the end the game of baseball and it's intergrity with we the fans trumps all. Least we forget that MLB is now and has always been in the buisness of making money. If the prevailing sentiment  was that we can't trust that the game is being played with integrity on the field. The turnstiles will stop turning, TV's will go black and the game would then lose the very thing that makes it work. We the fans and our hard earned dollars. As such gambling and professional sports will always be uneasy partners. Rose is now as Shoeless Joe was before him the example of the consequence for crossing the line. Reinstating him would only serve his best interest. The game is bigger than Rose. Selig knows all to well that in reinstating Rose that it would be an admission to all that it's ok to bet on baseball because after a couple of decades all will be forgiven. Therein lyes the rub. This is not about what is fair, it's about protecting the long term viability of a multi-billion dollar business. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Zac,

popping greenies and taking steroids are two totally different enhancements...no one ever hit 70 homers taking greenies. No one ever lost a roster spot to a player on greenies. Further more during most of the steroid era players still took greenies...Until MLB finally banned them in the latest CBA...

morality is a relative term "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" a refrain often used by coaches looking for an edge in the quest to win the game. hello! the moral high ground, is a slippery slope. In the end, your arguing that both are enhancements and thus carry the same weight in a moral argument. Only serves to condone the use of and like all those that are involved in this scourge, now known as the steroid era it is the condoning of that has enabled the use by all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Pete knew the risks, he has only himself too blame for his mess. I think most baseball fans think of him as a Hall of Famer even though he's not there.. I do believe he should be allowed around the game as a fan but in no way should he be allowed any involvement with MLB in any capacity other than that of a fan. If the Commis decided to let him in the Hall based on his play I wouldn't have a problem with that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

TWM,

No one including Giamati, Vincent and Selig would argue that he deserves to be in the Hall based on his career achievements on the field. I'm pretty certain that those that are responsible for oversight of the Hall would have dedicated an entire room to champion him. Given how much we revel in the accomplishments of the greatest players of all time. Rose is not the only one that has lost something. The game itself and the Hall has lost the opportunity to bestow upon Rose the all time hits leader and only the second player in it's storied history of more than 100 years to surpass 4000 hits the immortal tittle of hall of famer. 

What none of us know is the extent of his transgressions. Which must have been dire in that he and his lawyers negotiated with MLB and ultimately agreed to his banishment from the game. In saying that Rose was never contrite and honest about his role in his banishment.

In the end the game of baseball and it's intergrity with we the fans trumps all. Least we forget that MLB is now and has always been in the buisness of making money. If the prevailing sentiment  was that we can't trust that the game is being played with integrity on the field. The turnstiles will stop turning, TV's will go black and the game would then lose the very thing that makes it work. We the fans and our hard earned dollars. As such gambling and professional sports will always be uneasy partners. Rose is now as Shoeless Joe was before him the example of the consequence for crossing the line. Reinstating him would only serve his best interest. The game is bigger than Rose. Selig knows all to well that in reinstating Rose that it would be an admission to all that it's ok to bet on baseball because after a couple of decades all will be forgiven. Therein lyes the rub. This is not about what is fair, it's about protecting the long term viability of a multi-billion dollar business. 

Perhaps then we should throw out Ty Cobb and others of similar ilk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

greetings HH

making betances a reliever produced some pretty good results in the minors this yr

not so much last night

GM Zac,

Yes, the "3 killer bees".

One left and still time to salvage his career.

I was just having a little fun with twm.

After nailing the Montero discussions I was pointing to two in a row.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Zac,

popping greenies and taking steroids are two totally different enhancements...no one ever hit 70 homers taking greenies. No one ever lost a roster spot to a player on greenies. Further more during most of the steroid era players still took greenies...Until MLB finally banned them in the latest CBA...

morality is a relative term "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" a refrain often used by coaches looking for an edge in the quest to win the game. hello! the moral high ground, is a slippery slope. In the end, your arguing that both are enhancements and thus carry the same weight in a moral argument. Only serves to condone the use of and like all those that are involved in this scourge, now known as the steroid era it is the condoning of that has enabled the use by all. 

[/QUOTE]

sorry buddy

but that was my point

I don't have any ill will towards the users for trying to be the best they can be

obviously I feel different towards those who gamble and risk the games credibility

I know part of your concern is about the kids

but it's entertainment, let them entertain

and let the parents parent

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

GM Zac,

careful my friend

some might suggest fun is not allowed here anymore

funny how bad that montero deal work out for both teams so far

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

It's not the crime, it's the coverup. Rose denied, denied, denied until ...  you guessed  it ... he had a book to sell. Had  he come clean from the start, we wouldn't be  discussing this now.

I agree Lloyd, he should have just come clean and threw himself on the mercy of the court. Problem is, Pete is a very competitive and proud man, and for better or worse, its what made him a great ball player. That and the fact that there was bitter rivalry between he and Giamatti made that untenable. He boxed himself in, and there was no way to go but to continue his denial. I think  Pete is a bit narcisistic too. Not as bad as A-Rod, but enough to hold out hope public outcry would save him before he had to come clean. Of course, money may have run low too, which could have necessitated the need for the book and confession. All of this makes him come off as very juvenile at times, but I still think his on field play should have him in the HOF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I don't have any ill will towards the users for trying to be the best they can be

obviously I feel different towards those who gamble and risk the games credibility

Trying to be the best they can be is one thing.

Trying to be the best they can be by doing something illegal or immoral is something else.

I understand what you're saying about how gambling can risk the game's credibility, but PED users risk the games credibility as well.  Not in the same manner, but the integrity of the game takes a hit every time another one of these stories about PEDs breaks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

greetings HH

not so much last night

GM Zac,

Banuelos rehabbing from TJ surgery last off season.

Only a nitwit would write off Montero this early.

If the shoe fits wear it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Trying to be the best they can be is one thing.

Trying to be the best they can be by doing something illegal or immoral is something else.

I understand what you're saying about how gambling can risk the game's credibility, but PED users risk the games credibility as well.  Not in the same manner, but the integrity of the game takes a hit every time another one of these stories about PEDs breaks.

not to play semantics with you

but if we can agree that there are users on both teams

I'm thinking it ruins the reputation of BB  more than it's credibility

now if you are talking about the credibility of the record books that's a tad different

but we all know those records books

must me veiwed with the changes each era has brought in mind

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Zac, interesting posts.  But there's some flaws...

1.  Were there signs in the dugouts saying not to bet on games?  Because there are no signs in dugouts right now denouncing PEDs.  None. 

2.  Rose never bet against his own team, according to tons of sources.  Site your source if you're claiming that he did.  If it's just a rumor, don't write it.

3.  ARod is allowed to play right now, despite the fact that he is probably still using.  Rose isn't even allowed to attend a game.   There's a lot more hard evidence on A Rod than there ever was on Rose.  So if you think Rose should be banned, then by your own logic, ARod should be stranded on an island that's never heard of the game of baseball.

4.  How many guys do you think were using speed, amphetamines, or a mixed cocktail during that era?  It's going to be a much, much higher rate than guys who are using PEDs today.  Much higher. And that's to say nothing of widespread cocaine use.

5. So, if Rose would just admit that he gambled, that would be enough to change people's minds?  Then what's your take on Cabrera, the former Yank?  Three strikes and he should be out of the game forever...but he won't be.  If Rose had the same measure of protection that these cheaters do, he'd never have been banned.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

not to play semantics with you

but if we can agree that there are users on both teams

I'm thinking it ruins the reputation of BB  more than it's credibility

now if you are talking about the credibility of the record books that's a tad different

but we all know those records books

must me veiwed with the changes each era has brought in mind

I think there's a fine line in what you're saying, but fair enough.  I get your point.

I understand your feelings towards Rose, but regardless of reputation versus credibility, I still don't understand how you can be okay with someone using PEDs to be the best that they can be.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to soups' comment:

1.  Were there signs in the dugouts saying not to bet on games?  Because there are no signs in dugouts right now denouncing PEDs.  None. 

in every locker room in every Major League Baseball stadium

there are no betting on BB signs

my point was when rose bet it was clear it was a huge no no

where as using peds was not as clear when guys like mcgwire used

2.  Rose never bet against his own team, according to tons of sources.  Site your source if you're claiming that he did.  If it's just a rumor, don't write it.

dowd said he thought so

had some info but ran out of time B4 he could solidly prove it

all I asked is what did rose get out of  'the deal'

was it to beat dowd to the stronger proof or suppress such info

3.  ARod is allowed to play right now, despite the fact that he is probably still using.  Rose isn't even allowed to attend a game.   There's a lot more hard evidence on A Rod than there ever was on Rose.  So if you think Rose should be banned, then by your own logic, ARod should be stranded on an island that's never heard of the game of baseball.

perhaps it's my bad soup

but U R not following me an vice versa

I don't except the premise that using is as bad a gambling

the conversation started with the OP comparing rose

with present coaches that were users

that's why I brought the signs into play

BTW I don't think it's true that rose can't go to games

read that he goes to reds games all the time

4.  How many guys do you think were using speed, amphetamines, or a mixed cocktail during that era?  It's going to be a much, much higher rate than guys who are using PEDs today.  Much higher. And that's to say nothing of widespread cocaine use.

not sure about '' much ,much ''

but I don't disagree 

however I don't see your point

5. So, if Rose would just admit that he gambled, that would be enough to change people's minds? 

I never said that, I only knocked him for still denying that's why he got booted  recently

Then what's your take on Cabrera, the former Yank?  Three strikes and he should be out of the game forever...but he won't be.

why do you say that

things are getting better not worse in that dept

If Rose had the same measure of protection that these cheaters do, he'd never have been banned.

once again

IMO 2 different unequal crimes

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I still don't understand how you can be okay with someone using PEDs to be the best that they can be.

OK is the perfect word ms kimmi

of course I hated it at the beginning

for me it was like finding out there was no santa claus

it was all fake

but once I saw how many users  including pitchers there were

knowing there's no way to get rid of it

I decided to be OK with it and just enjoy the gifts / games

IMO testing loses more credibility than using

because it gives the false perception that only the ones caught are using

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

dowd said he thought so

perhaps it's my bad soup

but I don't disagree 

5. So, if Rose would just admit that he gambled, that would be enough to change people's minds? 

I never said that, I only knocked him for still denying that's why he got booted  recently

Then what's your take on Cabrera, the former Yank?  Three strikes and he should be out of the game forever...but he won't be.

why do you say that

If Rose had the same measure of protection that these cheaters do, he'd never have been banned.

once again

He said he can't go to a game on a Michael Kay interview last wk, which motivated me to start this thread. However, he watches games round the clock from home.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Drivel. Pete would never have betted against his team, not in his personality makeup. Besides, there is no evidence that he ever bet against his team, not that I have ever heard. I remember the Reds when Pete was manager, and with the exception of 1989 (during the distraction from the controversy) they were always competitive, were a playoff contender into September almost every year, and I dont recall Pete being overly questioned for possibly suspect moves he made that decided games during that period. Doesnt add up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

dowd said he thought so

perhaps it's my bad soup

but I don't disagree 

why do you say that

once again

He said he can't go to a game on a Michael Kay interview last wk, which motivated me to start this thread. However, he watches games round the clock from home.

Did he happen to mention, if he was betting on them?Money Mouth

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

IDK steve

maybe he  was talking logistics or about the 2015 AS game

here's where I was coming form

Rose attends Reds home games fairly regularly, is still celebrated around the city, and seems likely to make his presence felt at Great American Ball Park during the 2015 Midsummer Classic whether Major League Baseball’s commissioner wants him there or not.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/23/bud-selig-declines-comment-on-potential-involvement-of-pete-rose-in-2015-all-star-game/

U listen to m kay

OMG bad enough durring the games

Sections
Shortcuts