Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias

At this point , I am liking the idea of Aviles over Iglesias.

Although I know he is just a fill in.

Yes, we sacrifice some defense, but Aviles is a good hitter and I like him as leadoff man.

As usual the people who know the team ( management) made the right choice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I agree Aviles is the right choice for this team right now, but every Sox fan should be encouraged by .206 / .295.  If Iglesias can have an OBP 90 points higher than his average, we're in business.  He is still very young for AAA competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Tell Hank and Bill.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]I agree Aviles is the right choice for this team right now, but every Sox fan should be encouraged by .206 / .295.  If Iglesias can have an OBP 90 points higher than his average, we're in business.  He is still very young for AAA competition.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

He is still very young for AAA competition

I see you have different standards for Sox players v Montero.

When it comes to Sox players age then becomes a factor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Honestly I thought the gutsy call was trading Scutaro and not having Marco as insurance for Aviles.

To me getting Iggy's offense devloped was a no brainer coming out of ST. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]I agree Aviles is the right choice for this team right now, but every Sox fan should be encouraged by .206 / .295.  If Iglesias can have an OBP 90 points higher than his average, we're in business.  He is still very young for AAA competition.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

And taking a step further you don't think that scouts from other organizations watching Montero at AAA took into consideration the kid was only 20 years old?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

What? What are you encouraged by? His OBP is .90 points higher because his average is so low. Both of those numbers are bad, regardless of how much "higher" is OBP is than his batting average.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias : He is still very young for AAA competition I see you have different standards for Sox players v Montero. When it comes to Sox players age then becomes a factor.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Thank you. He's 22, but please don't say he's very young for AAA competition.
    He may be young by Red Sox standards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'm not looking for Iglesias to be run producer, or even an above average hitter.  I just want him to not be an automatic out and rally-killer.  If he can get on base 30-35 percent of the time, what does it matter what his batting average is?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias : What? What are you encouraged by? His OBP is .90 points higher because his average is so low. Both of those numbers are bad, regardless of how much "higher" is OBP is than his batting average.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

I think he seems to be encouraged by his uniform.

The source of his opinions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not looking for Iglesias to be run producer, or even an above average hitter.  I just want him to not be an automatic out and rally-killer.  If he can get on base 30-35 percent of the time, what does it matter what his batting average is?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]32% or above (.320 OBP) is probably the right number.

While it was a small sample set last season, Iggy also seemed to have head room in other facets of the game like base running...

The expectations were very high on Iggy but he was very young when he was signed and as good as BB is in Cuba, the level of polish and competition for most players is not a replacement for US professional baseball. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

BobbyV loves this guy and he is responding. He is a free swinger so not sure how long it can last. He is arguably the hottest hitter in the league. 3 E on 89 chances, not too bad.

Thanks KC for giving up on him...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I must say I don't remember the last time--during the John Henry regime--the Sox got serious about using a prospect on the big club who was under, say, 23 years old. More likely, 24 or 25 years old.    They have their systems, and they sticks to them. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

It's only 18 games, give the guy a chance, Salty started the season what, 3 for 29, in his first 10 games for a whopping .103 BA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias : Don't be a homer. EVERY scout out there took Montero's age into consideration and that's the primary reason he was ranked so high on prospect lists despite his less than stellar results and lack of defensive ability.
    Posted by SpruceTrap[/QUOTE]

You mean don't be like slomag?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]I must say I don't remember the last time--during the John Henry regime--the Sox got serious about using a prospect on the big club who was under, say, 23 years old. More likely, 24 or 25 years old.    They have their systems, and they sticks to them. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]It is not all that weird.

Part of that is because the majority of the higher picks were college players for a number of years. The thinking is that college players in the same same draft position will usually have less upside but are more predictable becase the players are more mature, physically and mentally.

A typical 18-19 year old where the RS pick is going to take 4 plus years (A-AA-AAA) to mature. A college player can blow through the sytem in 2 - 3 years. Hence the age that guys get called up.

Evan Longoria who was the 3rd player picked in the draft and a phenonom at Long Beach State left LB at 20 and spent two season just tearing through A, AA, AAA before coming up at 22. And Longoria was an awesome college player.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Aviles is the right choice @ SS, not Iglesias : Thank you. He's 22, but please don't say he's very young for AAA competition. He may be young by Red Sox standards.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Youngst players AAA ALEast
    Balt: INF  25  25  27     OF  22  27  27    P  24  25
    TB:   INF  22  24  26    OF  25  26          P  23  24   24
    NYY: INF  23  24  26    OF  26  27          P   23  24
    Tor:  INF  23  25          OF  21  23  23    P   25  
    Bos:  INF  22  23          OF  23  24         P   25  25

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I was all about Iglesias over Aviles this offseason.   Bu Aviles has done the job, nd is a bigger need with all the injuries...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

IMO it would be very bad for Iglesias to struggle offensively playing in the media environment of Boston.  He is in a 2 for 22 slump after last night with .490 OPS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Why can't this argument be put to rest? Ugly isn't a major league player yet, and most likely will never be.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts