Peter Abraham does it again

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Re: Peter Abraham does it again

Calling someone a troll is merely calling them out as "pretenders". He is identifying posters who are pretending to be concerned Red Sox fans. It is not an insult, it is an adjective. Don't you wish or desire to know who is a real fan or a phony fan? He is consistent in noting that trolls or pretenders are out to get attention since that is their motivation. Nothing at all wrong with what Peter said. No name-calling, it is calling a pretender a pretender. Our Moonslav has called Softlaw a pretender many times.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

PA is a good honest writer..I enjoy his work. Calling some people trolls is just what Your-Echo said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

I will echo the pro Abraham sentiment.  That doesn't mean I agree with everything he writes, but IMO he is the best sports writer the Boston area has seen in some time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

PETER ABRAHAM is nothing more or nothing less than a 'THEO BOOT-LICKER.'

if you comment about what a bust CRAWFISH is and will be, well then you're directly putting INEPSTEIN down; and pete isn't going to have any of that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Here are the comments that Dave was referring to. This is what I said recently that those who post comments to columnists tend to be non-fans and trolls. Dave hates everything Red Sox, takes pride in not going to games or watching on cable since he hates management and the players. Why then is he a Red Sox fan? My guess is that he isn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sorry Pike, but when you, or Abraham, or anyone else tell us how we should think/feel about anything, particularly as something as meaningless as a baseball team/player, than you have gone off the rails. 

This is America - having the right to disagree is our most treasured political value.  Why would anyone come to a sports forum and try to squash any opinions?

Beyond f'n dumb.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wasn't aware that lepers all have poor "social graces".

Speaking of "appropriateness"...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham does it again:
    Sorry Pike, but when you, or Abraham, or anyone else tell us how we should think/feel about anything, particularly as something as meaningless as a baseball team/player, than you have gone off the rails.    This is America - having the right to disagree is our most treasured political value.  Why would anyone come to a sports forum and try to squash any opinions? Beyond f'n dumb.
    Posted by georom4

the right to disagree is not a political value

i don't even know what a political value is or means

but i do know that anything political means it was created out of some man's policy to serve well, that man (or group of men); that it can be given or taken away w/ the stroke of a pen

the right to disagree is a natural-born, God-given UNALIENABLE right

sorry to be so picky but it is a important distinction

anyways, i agree in principal

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Andre - the right to disagree is not a natural born right -  the right for me to bash you over the head is with a club is a natural born right in a state of nature BEFORE we agree to a social contract that gives us our rights/protections under the law.

this is why we have a constitution...first amendment freedom of speech, freedom of expression, peition, assembly...the right to disagree....unless youre this Abraham guy who thinks opinions are scary things

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Sorry Pike, but when you, or Abraham, or anyone else tell us how we should think/feel about anything, particularly as something as meaningless as a baseball team/player, than you have gone off the rails.    This is America - having the right to disagree is our most treasured political value.  Why would anyone come to a sports forum and try to squash any opinions? Beyond f'n dumb.
    Posted by georom4

Peter Abraham was not squashing opinion or anyone's right. He was merely stating the obvious which was that they didn't sound like Red Sox fans, that they instead sounded like pretenders or trolls. You as a teacher should know better than anyone that Peter has that right just as the posters had the right to bash the Red Sox. Where is there a freedom of speech issue here? Posters can be pretend to be non-fans or they can act like real fans. Peter was guessing that many were pretenders. He wasn't taking away any rights. I fail to see your point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham does it again : Peter Abraham was not squashing opinion or anyone's right. He was merely stating the obvious which was that they didn't sound like Red Sox fans, that they instead sounded like pretenders or trolls. You as a teacher should know better than anyone that Peter has that right just as the posters had the right to bash the Red Sox. Where is there a freedom of speech issue here? Posters can be pretend to be non-fans or they can act like real fans. Peter was guessing that many were pretenders. He wasn't taking away any rights. I fail to see your point.
    Posted by Your-Echo

i see what youre saying...it goes both ways...but honestly, to say they are not "real fans"????? sounds like McCarthyism....are you a real American???? same nonsense imho

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Andre - the right to disagree is not a natural born right -  the right for me to bash you over the head is with a club is a natural born right in a state of nature BEFORE we agree to a social contract that gives us our rights/protections under the law.   this is why we have a constitution...first amendment freedom of speech, freedom of expression, peition, assembly...the right to disagree....unless youre this Abraham guy who thinks opinions are scary things
    Posted by georom4

The point is that the constitution did not GIVE us any rights.  Those rights were ours at birth.  The consitution protects those rights from being infringed on.

I think you ought to know by now that I defend freedom of speech.  At the same time I defend freedom of association; meaning I will protect someone's right to talk but I need not listen to it for any reason what so ever.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham does it again : Peter Abraham was not squashing opinion or anyone's right. He was merely stating the obvious which was that they didn't sound like Red Sox fans, that they instead sounded like pretenders or trolls. You as a teacher should know better than anyone that Peter has that right just as the posters had the right to bash the Red Sox. Where is there a freedom of speech issue here? Posters can be pretend to be non-fans or they can act like real fans. Peter was guessing that many were pretenders. He wasn't taking away any rights. I fail to see your point.
    Posted by Your-Echo

hey pikester,

"oh yes, i'm the great pretender
    pretending that i'm doing well;
    my needs are such,
    i pretend too much,
    i'm lonely and no one can tell.
    pretending that you're still around."

there, i admitted it and the platters sang about it.
    funny they didn't think to call the song "the great troll."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Posted by georom4

OK, so explain to me this.

How is what Abraham did different than what you do when you call posters who defend Francona as "bootlickers" simply because they express an opinion different than yours.

And let me guess this straight. When someone is expressing their opinion, they're trying to tell you how you should think or feel, but when you express your opinion, it's OK.

Seems to be another double standard.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham does it again : i see what youre saying...it goes both ways...but honestly, to say they are not "real fans"????? sounds like McCarthyism....are you a real American???? same nonsense imho
    Posted by georom4

McCathyism is a far cry from labeling someone as a fair-weather fan, a pretender, or a troll. One would think that a teacher would comprehend the difference.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

First of all Im not telling anyone not to have an opinion or judging their sincerity....when you try to marginalize folks for believing differently than you, then you have crossed the line...simple enough

i have the right to say you are a bootlicker...but do i have the right to say your opinions are not sincere? that they should not even be considered? think about it...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Peter Abraham is a pretty good sportswriter who normally, usually is tolerant of folks who contribute to his blog, which I only occasionally read.  Attacking Theo the way georom or others prefer would be counterproductive for a Boston sportswriter.  Besides, Abraham has made it clear that so far Crawford is a bust. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

PA or ANY one else identifying correctly and squarely addressing a troll as a troll gets huge kudos from me. Period. Great job Peter, very well done!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

[QUOTE]And by the way - the moderator removed Abraham's offensive comment. I wonder what that means.......
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE

It was offensive in your mind. In my mind, looking at all of your past comments, you are not a Red Sox fan and you know it. Show us one positive comment that you have ever made on the forum. Go ahead.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

as cave man say Abraham good, posters morons. Grow up he is educated which most of you 7th graders still are not!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

He drinks all the Kool-Aid at the RS buffet. He doesn't have to know anything about baseball other than the score. He's a reporter. If you like what he has to say about the RS then fine, if you don't ...thats O.K. too. His job is to put out the party line ala RS insider. For doing this he gets the coveted Access chip, a leaked story, a tidbit of information he can develop, and other perks. They all do it. Chad Finn, Michael Vega,Sean Adams, Cafardo. If you're looking for that contrarian viewpoint beyond what these guys are saying, the stuff they won't write about or can't write about, the only place you'll find it is here, at BDC. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joshbeckett20and72007. Show joshbeckett20and72007's posts

completely agreed peter abraham is classless as a person and talentless as a writer, I remember early in the season when he wrote a story saying youkilis was one of the worst hitters in the mlb i called him out on it and said he was a terrible writer and he fired back with an insult and a challenge to say it to his face and fight with him, so in conclusion the guy is a fool and i dont understand why he has a job.

Sections
Shortcuts