Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tchock. Show Tchock's posts

Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions

Abraham makes a great point.  Red Sox Nation are a Nation of Turds.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions

Think of this as a bridge year.

Oops. Did I say that?

Never mind!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions:
    [QUOTE]By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff "... If there is a game tonight (rain is forecast), at what point will fans look up at the press box and start the "Tito! Tito!" chants? You know it's coming. All this is unfair to Valentine, who has been stuck with an injury-riddled and dysfunctional team. The decision to make Daniel Bard a starter was made before he got the job. The decision to let Jonathan Papelbon walk was made before he got the job. He wasn't the guy who thought John Lackey and Bobby Jenks made sense. He didn't want Andrew Bailey to get into a collision at first base. If you were managing the Red Sox and needed a reliever right now, who you picking? It's like sticking your hand in a fire and hoping not to get burned."
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

This is why I feel some of our fans gave Theo more credit than he deserved because we won two WC's.   Moves like Schill, David and the trade of Nomar certainly helped us get over that hump but some people tend to forget what happened after 07 with FA's and keeping our aging players in key roles much too long.

We had few options this year so I'm not going to blame Ben or Bobby if we continue to struggle. I do feel Bobby's future in Boston depends on how he and our players get along this season so he really should talk less and manage more.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

Bobby V was the wrong man for the team because he's a one-man circus and, as others have pointed out, the Mets team he managed wasn't exactly known for its discipline. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know the game and it certainly doesn't mean this fiasco is his fault. The PA excerpt is on-point. This mess lands on the doorstep of the front office -- and its incompetence at assessing talent since 2007. Give him a decent team to manage and criticize him if he screws up that one - but that's not what we have here. And stop with the Tito chants: he was great and we owe him forever, but he was cooked and he's not coming back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions:
    [QUOTE]Think of this as a bridge year. Oops. Did I say that? Never mind!  
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

nice one!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions:
    [QUOTE]Think of this as a bridge year. Oops. Did I say that? Never mind!  
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]Roseanne Roseanna Danna might have been one of the funniest characters ever on SNL. Thanks for bringing back the good memories.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Tonight would be a good night to watch the old SNL's!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions : Roseanne Roseanna Danna might have been one of the funniest characters ever on SNL. Thanks for bringing back the good memories.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Actually Roseanne Rosannadanna was the wild-haired character with myriad similarly named relatives, who corresponded with Mr. Faber from New Jersey. " Nevermind" was tagline of Emily Litella, who mistook euthanasia for youth in Asia, violins on tv, Soviet jewelry, among other gaffes. I made this same mistake recently , was corrected, and "looked it up".

Meanwhile, am thinking that if Sox front office anticipated a rebuilding or "bridge" year or two, until top-heavy contracts ( Jenks, Beckett, Lackey, Dice-K) went away and youth ( Lavarnway, Kalish, Iglesias, Doubront)  transitioned into lineup, Valentine as manager would furnish enough distraction to occupy or entertain the fans.
    If completely serious about cutting payroll, a colorful and hated field general would deflect anger from F.O. and concentrate it on Valentine. Similar to a failed president with no success playing up false issues like dogs, free birth control, or silver spoons instead of jobs, growth, economy and debt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions : Actually Roseanne Rosannadanna was the wild-haired character with myriad similarly named relatives, who corresponded with Mr. Faber from New Jersey. " Nevermind" was tagline of Emily Litella, who mistook euthanasia for youth in Asia, violins on tv, Soviet jewelry, among other gaffes. I made this same mistake recently , was corrected, and "looked it up". Meanwhile, am thinking that if Sox front office anticipated a rebuilding or "bridge" year or two, until top-heavy contracts ( Jenks, Beckett, Lackey, Dice-K) went away and youth ( Lavarnway, Kalish, Iglesias, Doubront)  transitioned into lineup, Valentine as manager would furnish enough distraction to occupy or entertain the fans. If completely serious about cutting payroll, a colorful and hated field general would deflect anger from F.O. and concentrate it on Valentine. Similar to a failed president with no success playing up false issues like dogs, free birth control, or silver spoons instead of jobs, growth, economy and debt.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]My bad, I was sure that Roseanne Roseanna Danna, but now that you mention it I remember now. Thanks for the reminder. I really enjoy talking about baseball with you, and you seem like a pretty good guy but we should probably never talk about politics, because I can guarante you without a doubt you would hate mine. I don't mean any offense or anything because I really do enjoy talking about base ball with you. Plus I like your screen name too. Those were the days weren't they? When the Red Sox way was to turn out players like Rice, Lynn, Evans, Burleson, Fisk, Scott and Cooper. I'd like to see the Sox get back to that more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Don't sweat it carnie, I pretty much dislike most republicans too, just for different reasons than the dems, LOL.
    Was merely alluding to distracting folks / fans with a sideshow like BV so we'd ignore the deeper problems. Like bloated dead-end payroll preventing any serious helpful moves, and a dearth of READY pitching talent.

Excepting a few minor roster shuffles, I don't expect any sudden contender-status enhancing moves this season. In fact wouldn't be surprised by a sell-off in July if things don't improve.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Don't sweat it carnie, I pretty much dislike most republicans too, just for different reasons than the dems, LOL. Was merely alluding to distracting folks / fans with a sideshow like BV so we'd ignore the deeper problems. Like bloated dead-end payroll preventing any serious helpful moves, and a dearth of READY pitching talent. Excepting a few minor roster shuffles, I don't expect any sudden contender-status enhancing moves this season. In fact wouldn't be surprised by a sell-off in uly if things don't improve.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]That might not be the worst thing that could happen IMO. We do have some serious talent sitting in Pawtucket and Portland, and I know you think the same. It might be fun to see what the kids could do. Get back to the Red Sox way a little more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beijingcb. Show Beijingcb's posts

Who are the guys in Pawtucket and Portland that you feel have talent enough to replace current lineup in a way that they can turn the tide? I would love it if you are right, but I just dont really see that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions : Actually Roseanne Rosannadanna was the wild-haired character with myriad similarly named relatives, who corresponded with Mr. Faber from New Jersey. " Nevermind" was tagline of Emily Litella, who mistook euthanasia for youth in Asia, violins on tv, Soviet jewelry, among other gaffes. I made this same mistake recently , was corrected, and "looked it up". Meanwhile, am thinking that if Sox front office anticipated a rebuilding or "bridge" year or two, until top-heavy contracts ( Jenks, Beckett, Lackey, Dice-K) went away and youth ( Lavarnway, Kalish, Iglesias, Doubront)  transitioned into lineup, Valentine as manager would furnish enough distraction to occupy or entertain the fans. If completely serious about cutting payroll, a colorful and hated field general would deflect anger from F.O. and concentrate it on Valentine. Similar to a failed president with no success playing up false issues like dogs, free birth control, or silver spoons instead of jobs, growth, economy and debt.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

...I think it was "sax and violins" on tv.....plus the Eagle Right Amendment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Nick Cafardo says it well.  "Blame the players"  http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2012/04/23/red_sox_players_arent_catching_much_flak___and_they_should/

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Why was last year the manager's fault but this year it's not the manager's fault?  Last year, the team had injuries and had the same people heading the organization.  Sure this team has more holes, but last year's team also had holes that went untended.

Different Manager.  Different GM.  Same President of the Red Sox.  Same owners.  This is what happens when one man's ego is left unchecked.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Who are the guys in Pawtucket and Portland that you feel have talent enough to replace current lineup in a way that they can turn the tide? I would love it if you are right, but I just dont really see that.
    Posted by Beijingcb[/QUOTE]In Pawtucket Middlebrooks and Lavarnaway. In Portland JC Linares.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter Abraham: Don't blame it on Valentine-team is injury-riddled and dysfunctional/front office-poor decisions : thanks for mentioning theo in the blame department. p. abrahams has a man-crush on theo and thinks he walks on water as do many of the posters on this board. i'm sorry the SOX  are stinking up the place, but i'm thrilled theo is no longer here. cherington and bobby v will take the fall for the previous moron.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

Why does the simple logic of Peter Abraham today have anything to do with his "man-crush on Theo"?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Abraham & Carfardo: Just because it isn't all the manager's fault, that doesn't mean that Bobby is a good manager.  So far, he has been just as bad as the players in-game ... and he's been a damned distraction off the field.  I don't like him, I don't like his verbal diarrhea and I especially don't like his tinkering just for the sake of putting his stamp on things (Punto leading off, really?). 

Yes, the players are the ones who have lost most of the games (BV has to take credit for at least one loss IMHO).  But what should the FO do ... cut Beckett and Lester for what amounts to six bad weeks?  Should we cut Youk after he fought to stay on the field last year despite being injured?  Or should we cut him for not hitting much over all of 14 games?  Should we cut Pedroia for sticking up for his teammate? Or should we cut him for not recognizing "he isn't as emotionally of physically into the game ... and I'm not sure why" as actually being a supportive comment from the manager.  Should we pin this all on the FO because they traded for Bailey and Melancon?  Did those really look like bad trades when they were made?  

Fire the sports writers who gleefully roasted Francona ... now THAT's and idea who's time has come.

Sections
Shortcuts