Peter Abraham is at it again; He calls some of us greedy! Peter has become a company man.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Peter Abraham is at it again; He calls some of us greedy! Peter has become a company man.

Yes I am an avid Sox fan; and excuse me Peter for wanting to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return. Moreover, I do want to win in 2011. Don't give me the company line: "The goal is not to contend for the title in 2011, it's to contend for the title every year." Pete, the future is now. We don't know about the future; some of our stars are getting older, some will leave for free agency, and some will be injured. We have a great team with a need for a solid starter. I'm not greedy to hope we got one.

CHICAGO — We won't know how well the Red Sox did at the trade deadine until the season is over and the impact made by Erik Bedard and Mike Aviles can be fully examined.

But sitting here about six hours after the trade deadline, the Sox appear to have done well for themselves.

Let's look at the last two days in totality.

The Sox obtained Bedard and Aviles, a starting pitcher and an experienced infielder. They gave up infielder Yamaico Navarro and five minor league prospects: outfielder Chih-Hsien Chiang, catcher Tim Federowicz, righthander Stephen Fife, righthander Juan Rodriguez and righthander Kendal Volz.

None of those six players are projected to be major league standouts. Navarro and Federowicz could make the majors as backups. The rest are, at best, second-level prospects.

You'd take Ryan Lavarnway over Federowicz. Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish instead of Chiang. Alex Wilson is better than Fife and Rodriguez and Volz are Class A relievers. The Sox have a dozen similar arms.

Now let's look at the potential impact of Bedard and Aviles.

Bedard, once he shakes off the rustiness still left from his DL stint, should be a more effective starter than Andrew Miller. Given that Miller has a 5.36 ERA and a 1.88 WHIP, that is not exactly a monumental task. Bedard has experience in the AL East and when he was healthy in the spring, he was one of the best lefties in the league. If he's 75 percent that good, that's better than Miller.

Aviles is clearly a better utility player than Navarro was. He has more experience and better speed. If a injury were to occur, he would be a much safer everyday starter than Navarro.

So two spots on the 25-man roster are better today than they were yesterday. That's not an insignificant amount. The Red Sox are already the best team in the American League based on their record. Getting a little better is fine. They didn't need to get a lot better.

Greedy fans will complain that the Red Sox didn't land Hunter Pence and/or Ubaldo Jimenez. But the Red Sox have an aging roster and stripping three or four quality prospects away would have made little sense seven months after giving up three blue chippers for Adrian Gonzalez.

The goal is not to contend for the title in 2011, it's to contend for the title every year.

The market was not replete with great options this season but Epstein found a way to improve the team without giving up a lot. It's hard to argue with that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Re: Peter Abraham is at it again; He calls some of us greedy! Peter has become a company man.

good call,

abraham is, and always will be, a theo boot-licker.
    btw, there really is a peter abraham isn't there?
    he's not just a 'pen name' for theo himself?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Peter Abraham is at it again; He calls some of us greedy! Peter has become a company man.

I think Abraham is right on this one.  Theo did well.  A couple of decent additions without giving up any premier prospects. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hard to fault Theo on this one because standing pat was not the best option.  After Beckett and Lester, the Sox have Lackey, Wakefield, and Miller, who would give any field manager nightmares and all of whom have had multiple rough outings this year.  I don't think a lot of Bedard, but he is better than nothing.  Aceves needs to stay in the bullpen because he can help shore up more than one bad starter. 

There are no good deals out there for a first class starter. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tyler Scionti. Show tyler Scionti's posts

I agree, we're not going to give away out best prospects to get a guy for one year. We ALMOST gave Jon Lester away for Johan Santana, imagine how we'd be kicking ourselves for that one. When it comes to prospects there are prospects and then there are prospects. We're not going to give our future team away for a one year deal. We got exactly what we needed, we're the best in the AL, don't complain. Gosh, won't what Theo does ever be enough???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Yes I am an avid Sox fan; and excuse me Peter for wanting to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return. Moreover, I do want to win in 2011. Don't give me the company line: "The goal is not to contend for the title in 2011, it's to contend for the title every year." Pete, the future is now. We don't know about the future; some of our stars are getting older, some will leave for free agency, and some will be injured. We have a great team with a need for a solid starter. I'm not greedy to hope we got one.

fireballer your anser comes in your first statement " Yes I am an avid Sox fan;". That is the significant difference between you, me and all RS fans and Theo. Theo must be looking out 5years and have a plan to ensure they contend every year. As plans move along life happens (Bucholz) and that plan will change. PA is not a company man when he just points out the obvious and sees what many managers in every businessmust do every day plan for the future. They gave up nothing for Bedard that affects the next 5 years. Not one of those guys were in the RS plans for the next 5 years. Look at the contracts only Ortiz, Paps, Salty and Ellsbury are issues for next year most others are set through 2013 or longer.

So despite your anguish they are set for this year and the next 3 at a minimum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the Sox did well.

The key is Buch.  If returns this season and be 100%, then the Sox didn't need to make a trade for a starter.  If he doesn't return, then they will definitely need a starter.  Do the sox trade the farm for a player they may not need?

The Sox are making a gamble that at least 1 of 5 things will happen:

1) Buch comes back this season as a dominant pitcher
    2) Bedard can be a solid #3 starter that can help in the post season
    3) Lacket finds his game by the end of the season
    4) Miller learns how to pitch
    5) Wakefield and his knuckleball are in the zone where he's unhittable during the post season.

If 1 of those things happen, and they have a very good chance of winning a WS.  2 of thise things happen and they are a lock to win the WS.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Peter was right in respect to those in this forum. Yes, some are greedy and have myopia and can't see beyond this year. This conflict has divided the forum for years which is short term vs. long term goals. We are lucky to have someone with the intelligence of Theo to ensure the best of both worlds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham is at it again; He calls some of us greedy! Peter has become a company man.:
    Yes I am an avid Sox fan; and excuse me Peter for wanting to give up something valuable to get something valuable in return. Moreover, I do want to win in 2011. Don't give me the company line: "The goal is not to contend for the title in 2011, it's to contend for the title every year." Pete, the future is now. We don't know about the future; some of our stars are getting older, some will leave for free agency, and some will be injured. We have a great team with a need for a solid starter. I'm not greedy to hope we got one. fireballer your anser comes in your first statement " Yes I am an avid Sox fan;". That is the significant difference between you, me and all RS fans and Theo. Theo must be looking out 5years and have a plan to ensure they contend every year. As plans move along life happens (Bucholz) and that plan will change. PA is not a company man when he just points out the obvious and sees what many managers in every businessmust do every day plan for the future. They gave up nothing for Bedard that affects the next 5 years. Not one of those guys were in the RS plans for the next 5 years. Look at the contracts only Ortiz, Paps, Salty and Ellsbury are issues for next year most others are set through 2013 or longer. So despite your anguish they are set for this year and the next 3 at a minimum.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Great post, Jim. 

I understand fireballer, cuz of course I want to win now .. and think we will... but we are well taken care of ... always some drama ... Papi and Ellsbury the highest ... Heath Bell lurks if Paps leaves (imo) ... Salty stays for good reason, Theo's faith and Tek's developmental aid ... 

I think we are going to have a very good outfield with Ells, Carl and Josh ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Peter Abraham is at it again; He calls some of us greedy! Peter has become a company man.:
    Peter was right in respect to those in this forum. Yes, some are greedy and have myopia and can't see beyond this year. This conflict has divided the forum for years which is short term vs. long term goals. We are lucky to have someone with the intelligence of Theo to ensure the best of both worlds.
    Posted by Your-Echo

hey echole,

please wipe that brown stuff from your nose.
    yeah, drew, crawford, and slackey=INTELLIGENCE.

maybe you should find another dictionary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Posted by Your-Echo

hey echole,

please wipe that brown stuff from your nose.
    yeah, drew, crawford, and slackey=INTELLIGENCE.

maybe you should find another dictionary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tyler Scionti. Show tyler Scionti's posts

Crawford wasn't a mistake. He is a good player in a new atmosphere faced with a down year, he'll be at top form next season and has started to turn it around, so don't trash him. Besides he's a huge upgrade over cameron and macdonald.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

I'm more with Abraham on this one too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYASO#7. Show JYASO#7's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=e18b924ddb727280a2620a9612a19210&plckUserId=e18b924ddb727280a2620a9612a19210">
    First: 1/28/2009
    Last: 8/1/2011

He's right.

I second that!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

I'm with Abraham as well.  I would hate to see the Sox mortgage the future to win at all costs in any given year.  I love the baseball season from the first pitch of the season until the very last out.  While the goal is always to win it all, I enjoy the 162 game schedule and all the story lines that come with battling to make the playoffs year in and year out. I can't think of anything more painful than a down season(s) where the Sox have no chance to make the playoffs.  So I'm okay with trying to find a balance between winning at all costs now and ensuring the team is built to contend for many years.

I guess you could compare this to the Patriots trading down and stockpiling future draft picks each year.  While it can be frustrating, if is the Patriot braintrust's attempt at ensuring the team is a perennial contender.       

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Last I heard is that the Yankees value their prospects just as much as the Red Sox do. I imagine that some Yankee fans today have the same feelings as in the opening post. How many wished that David Murphy was still here last year?

Sections
Shortcuts