Peter Abraham on Bobby V

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Peter Abraham on Bobby V

• In today's Globe--

One good reason to keep Bobby V as manager at least through the end of the season is it doesn't reward those players and coaches who were disloyal throughout the season. Valentine made plenty of mistake along the way. But he didn't deserve being treated like an unwelcome house guest simply because he took a job that was offered to him.

The above is hardly a ringing endorsement, but probably helps to explain why he is still the Sox manager.  He inherited the same group of guys who basically quit on Francona last year.  I think there can be little doubt Bobby V won't be back in 2013, but I do see why keeping him for now sends a necessary message.

Abraham also points out the reason why Cook and Matsuzaka continue to start is the Sox don't have anyone better in the minors. 

Given the 12th best/worst ERA in the AL and a lineup missing AGon,Ortiz, and Middlebrooks--and, if we are honest, Ellsbury as well--I find it hard to believe anyone else could have or would reverse the current tsunami-like tide.  After the first road trip loss in LA when Aceves gave up a one run lead, plus another run, in the 9th to blow the save and the game, the Sox have basically lost because they can't hit and can't pitch.  And th fielding and baserunning ain't that great either. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Re: Peter Abraham on Bobby V

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]
    • In today's Globe--

One good reason to keep Bobby V as manager at least through the end of the season is it doesn't reward those players and coaches who were disloyal throughout the season. Valentine made plenty of mistake along the way. But he didn't deserve being treated like an unwelcome house guest simply because he took a job that was offered to him.

The above is hardly a ringing endorsement, but probably helps to explain why he is still the Sox manager.  He inherited the same group of guys who basically quit on Francona last year.  I think there can be little doubt Bobby V won't be back in 2013, but I do see why keeping him for now sends a necessary message.

Abraham also points out the reason why Cook and Matsuzaka continue to start is the Sox don't have anyone better in the minors. 

Given the 12th best/worst ERA in the AL and a lineup missing AGon,Ortiz, and Middlebrooks--and, if we are honest, Ellsbury as well--I find it hard to believe anyone else could have or would reverse the current tsunami-like tide.  After the first road trip loss in LA when Aceves gave up a one run lead, plus another run, in the 9th to blow the save and the game, the Sox have basically lost because they can't hit and can't pitch.  And th fielding and baserunning ain't that great either. 

Good post. When Cherington traded Agon, he sent a message to the team that he was giving up on 2012, and anyone who expected things to get better is delusional.
    I mean, look at the line-up. Only Pedroia is bonafide top player. The rest are either rookies or career platoon guys, and Ellsbury has been a huge disappointment.
    Aceves, Ross, Salty; none of these guys would start for a contending team, and we have not one SP with an ERA under 4.

I think as long as this team is under current ownership, it will hard to right the ship, and it will be even harder to get players to come to Boston.
    It would be nice if the good people of Boston could buy the team.

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

I think Bobby V deserves to be back next year with the coaches he picks. Simply reverse Beckett's and Lester's records and they are in contention with the Yankees and Baltimore. How can that be the fault of BV? Considering that the #1 and #2 starters are about a dozen games below 500, and the team has dealt with an inordinate number of injuries, it's my contention that BV has done a great job. I for one want him back!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BOSOX1941s comment:

I think Bobby V deserves to be back next year with the coaches he picks. Simply reverse Beckett's and Lester's records and they are in contention with the Yankees and Baltimore. How can that be the fault of BV? Considering that the #1 and #2 starters are about a dozen games below 500, and the team has dealt with an inordinate number of injuries, it's my contention that BV has done a great job. I for one want him back!

We have, more or less, our worst record in 46 years.  I'm not surprised that you are pleased with that.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Do I think Bobby has done a great or good job? I don't but he had no shot with the group of spoiled, entitled, out of shape, and over paid and under performing vetrens he took over. 

In one of the worst turnarounds in sports' history, we are a staggering 21 games off of our record last year.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bosbruins2011cups comment:
    [QUOTE]

n response to Joebreidey's comment:

Do I think Bobby has done a great or good job? I don't but he had no shot with the group of spoiled, entitled, out of shape, and over paid and under performing vetrens he took over. 

In one of the worst turnarounds in sports' history, we are a staggering 21 games off of our record last year. I guess you thought this team was good?

Look at the injuries to the team but even without the injuries it didn't take a rocket scientest to see this team had no shot before this season even began with its brutal pitching. 

[/QUOTE]

We had a lot of injuries last year too.  We have more IPs from our big three this year than last year, and probably a better #4 this year.  We lost more games on offense, but not remotely close to being 21 games worse.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If this were a multi-million / billion dollar / year COMPANY, existing in a capitalist economy, WHICH IT IS, would this answer ever fly????

CUT THE SSHIT!  Of course it wouldn't!  The owners, presiden, and General Manager would say "off with his head," with respect to the product manager.  They certainly wouldn't make excuses, & tell the shareholders that they thought it would be a good idea to teach the department managers (players) a lesson, by making them deal with the yahoo in charge of production.

THIS ARGUMENT IS TOTAL INSANITY!  IT'S FURTHER INTRENCHING DYSFUNCTION!!!!!!  Making it more difficult to get next year's roll-out of the new product line, a WELL OILED MACHINE???  Are you people kidding me???

Let's cut our GD noses off to spite our own faces!  To hell with profits!  To hell with the new porduct line!!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

You held exactly those situations against Francona, constantly railing about how "sit and spit" didn't do enough as a manager to nspire his players.  Now, suddenly, with BV, underperforming players are no longer a managers fault?

Your problem is you ranted so heavily against Francona with a lot of stupidity, you have no choice but to support Valentine otherwise you look like someone who is going to be overcritical of any and all managers and therefore should never be taken seriously.  So instead, now you changed the rules on bad managing, blindly support BV, and as a result have become someone who should never be taken seriously.  Good job..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You held exactly those situations against Francona, constantly railing about how "sit and spit" didn't do enough as a manager to nspire his players.  Now, suddenly, with BV, underperforming players are no longer a managers fault?

Your problem is you ranted so heavily against Francona with a lot of stupidity, you have no choice but to support Valentine otherwise you look like someone who is going to be overcritical of any and all managers and therefore should never be taken seriously.  So instead, now you changed the rules on bad managing, blindly support BV, and as a result have become someone who should never be taken seriously.  Good job..

[/QUOTE]

Game, set and match...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How did you get from wanting to give BV another shot to being pleased with the Sox record?
    Are another one of the short-sighted few, who place the blame for our record solely on the shoulders of Valentine?
    Besides, we could still end up with a winning record. Sounds like you are the one with no confidence, or hope that we even do worse. That way, Valentine is sure to be gone.
    I bet you want to see him fail.

We have, more or less, our worst record in 46 years.  I'm not surprised that you are pleased with that.

[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

How did you get from wanting to give BV another shot to being pleased with the Sox record?
    Are another one of the short-sighted few, who place the blame for our record solely on the shoulders of Valentine?
    Besides, we could still end up with a winning record. Sounds like you are the one with no confidence, or hope that we even do worse. That way, Valentine is sure to be gone.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't blame BV for all that's gone wrong.

The problem is, he's done little to nothing to make the situation better.

Tell me somthing BV has done correctly and I'll show show you 5 things he's screwed up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't blame BV for all that's gone wrong.

The problem is, he's done little to nothing to make the situation better.

Tell me somthing BV has done correctly and I'll show show you 5 things he's screwed up.

[/QUOTE]

That sums it up, 4B. While BV hasn't been all of the problem, he's been less of the solution. Time to cut our losses and move on.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course BV is not the root of all evil.  But he is questionably the worst manager in BB.  Crawford wasn't the root of all our problems, but I'm glad he's gone.  Drew wasn't the root of our problems last year, but I was glad we signed Ross instead of re-signing Drew.

The point here is that you upgrade wherever you can.  Replacing Valentine is an easy and obvious upgrade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Bobby isn't THE problem but he certainly isn't the answer.  I've never seen a guy build up so much baggage in such a short time.

They need to hire a guy that commands respect, or at least can get past the first month of the season before he starts alienating players.

The big mystery is why they hired Bobby V to begin with?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Bobby V just wrapped up an interview on WEEI.

Boy, is he ticked!
    After being asked about being late to the Oakland park last weekend , Bobby said he'd like to punch Glen Ordway in the mouth.

He calmed down after being told told it was simply what Sox beat writers had reported, he reiterated how disappointed he was with the media.

He then asked which reporters had written that. He was told Nick Cafardo, among others, had reported it.

I wouldn't want to be Nick Cafardo. LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

Bobby V just wrapped up an interview on WEEI.

Boy, is he ticked!
    After being asked about being late to the Oakland park last weekend , Bobby said he'd like to punch Glen Ordway in the mouth.

He calmed down after being told told it was simply what Sox beat writers had reported, he reiterated how disappointed he was with the media.

He then asked which reporters had written that. He was told Nick Cafardo, among others, had reported it.

I wouldn't want to be Nick Cafardo. LOL

Apologies;

He said he wanted to punch Orway after he was asked if he'd checked out on the season.

And, he did chuckle a little, then added at it was an embarassing question to ask.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bosbruins2011cups comment:
    [QUOTE]

n response to Joebreidey's comment:

In one of the worst turnarounds in sports' history, we are a staggering 21 games off of our record last year. I guess you thought this team was good?

Look at the injuries to the team but even without the injuries it didn't take a rocket scientest to see this team had no shot before this season even began with its brutal pitching. 

[/QUOTE]

We had a lot of injuries last year too.  We have more IPs from our big three this year than last year, and probably a better #4 this year.  We lost more games on offense, but not remotely close to being 21 games worse.

[/QUOTE]More innings pitched, right, but compared with April-August last year, not even close in QUALITY this year -- if that makes a difference. Bad pitching can make a difference in more than 21 games when combined with injuries and early sub-par performances from key players, and makeshift lineups, and .... Comparing injuries last year to this year. You are kidding, right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The people who get the maddest or most defensive when being asked any question that might question their ability and talents, usually are defensive because they know it to be true. BV checked out more than a month ago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

More innings pitched, right, but compared with April-August last year, not even close in QUALITY this year -- if that makes a difference. 

So basically, Tito got more out of his pitchers.  Fair enough.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Same guys won 90 in 2011...The malcontents. But BV couldn't get .500 with them and is .300 since the rookies took over.