CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)
    David Ortiz

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Peter Abraham: Projecting the Red Sox roster

exactly how i have it except Grady instead of JBJ.

Note:  i am guessing he doesnt have the SP in order.  (i would have clay and doubie flip flopped)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

exactly how i have it except Grady instead of JBJ.

Note:  i am guessing he doesnt have the SP in order.  (i would have clay and doubie flip flopped)

I think Farrel said they're going put Clay in the fifth spot to take advantage of the extra days off, at the start of the season.

I agree abouyt sizemore.

Start JBJ in AAA.

If Sizemore can't handle playing every day, bring up JBJ.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I think Farrel said they're going put Clay in the fifth spot to take advantage of the extra days off, at the start of the season.

good look.  thanks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Abraham gave his reason for Bradley v. Sizemore.  He says Sizemore is not ready for the grind that MLB is--like 13 games in the first 14 days.  Grady missed all of the last two seasons and big parts of the three before that, so it makes sense to ease him into the season by making April and extension of spring training. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I don't buy the whole Sizemore isn't ready for the "grind". That's pure speculation, and I'm sure he's already exceeded what was expected of him. If he reads that, I'm sure he's saying "I'm ready for the grind -- whatever that means. We're all just playing baseball here."

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP John Lackey
    LHP Felix Doubront
    RHP Jake Peavy
    RHP Clay Buchholz

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Brandon Workman
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF-LF-RF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

CF-LF-RF Grady Sizemore

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)
    David Ortiz

Carp will be traded and either Bradley or Sizemore will play some corner outfield.  Nava will play some first base against lefties and Shane will sit sometimes to recover from the usual dings and sore hammies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP John Lackey
    LHP Felix Doubront
    RHP Jake Peavy
    RHP Clay Buchholz

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Brandon Workman
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

CF-LF-RF Grady Sizemore

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)
    David Ortiz

Carp will be traded and either Bradley or Sizemore will play some corner outfield.  Nava will play some first base against lefties and Shane will sit sometimes to recover from the usual dings and sore hammies.

+1

I also believe Carp will be traded, Nava occasional backup 1B and starts LF, Sizemore starts CF and corner OFs, JBJ backs up Sizemore whenever he needs break and starts OF when Nava backs up 1B and righty on the mound, Shane also needs break time to time so i think it makes a lot more sense to have Sizemore than Carp.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP John Lackey
    LHP Felix Doubront
    RHP Jake Peavy
    RHP Clay Buchholz

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Brandon Workman
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

CF-LF-RF Grady Sizemore

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)
    David Ortiz

Sherrif - i fully endorse your proposal!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Maybe a Carp & Lava package could net us a good prospect.

I think we'll get creative with the DL to postpone the tough decision, otherwise, JBJ plays full time in AAA and gains an extra year of team control until someone gets hurt or falters.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

I don't buy the whole Sizemore isn't ready for the "grind". That's pure speculation, and I'm sure he's already exceeded what was expected of him. If he reads that, I'm sure he's saying "I'm ready for the grind -- whatever that means. We're all just playing baseball here."

with ya kim! how'd you like how he played yesterday? unbelieveable! a couple of circus catches and a three hit day, scored 3 times............bottom line: grady means business. so does naps for that matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

with ya kim! how'd you like how he played yesterday? unbelieveable! a couple of circus catches and a three hit day, scored 3 times............bottom line: grady means business. so does naps for that matter.

As of now, it appears Grady should start until he proves he should not or breaks down, if that ever happens.

JBJ should play everyday, so that means starting in AAA. It makes no sense to have him ride the bench. He should not play instead of Victorino or the Nava/Gomes LF platoon.

I would not trade Carp, just so JBJ can ride the bench on the big club, but if we get something useful for him (Rh'd CF'er or a decent pitcher), then doing so is fine with me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Moon - If you put Bradley in AAA you are asking for trouble.  He can't come up to the team without someone hitting the DL.  Shanf is going to require days off and Sizemore playing anything remotely close to every day would be a miracle ... sure it can happen but you don't count on it.  They will both need days off (non-DL) and Nava/Gomes/Carp are pretty poor defenders in RF, especially at Fenway.  The Sox could probably live with a sub-par RFer a couple of times a month but Victorino and Sizemore will need more rest days than that ... a combined 40 days off would be a stellar but unrealistic outcome.  The idea of playing Sizemore until he breaks is also pretty darn foolish.  If he can recapture some of what he was, he's a hell of a lot more valuable playing to his potential for 80-100 games than disappearing to the DL in May or June.  The guy might turn out to be our 2014 ace in the hole but he's trying for a coming back on the wrong side of 30.  A little realism might be in order.

Kim - You may not buy it but Sizemore is not ready for the daily grind and that isn't pure speculation.  That's the team's position on the issue and there isn't enough time in ST to prove otherwise.  He's about to try his second back-to-back game this week ... that's a country mile from playing 32 games in 35 days or even 25 games in 35 days.  They aren't going to construct their roster around the minimal possibility he can play 140+ games after being off the field for years.  Here's his history ...

2009    106 games

2010    33 games

2011    71 games

2012    0 games

2013    0 games

Smart money says there's a trade coming unless an injury comes first.  And then there's always the phantom injury to buy time.  Bottom line, JBJ will be on the 25 man roster one way or another.  And that's a good thing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

Moon - If you put Bradley in AAA you are asking for trouble.  He can't come up to the team without someone hitting the DL.  Shanf is going to require days off and Sizemore playing anything remotely close to every day would be a miracle ... sure it can happen but you don't count on it.  They will both need days off (non-DL) and Nava/Gomes/Carp are pretty poor defenders in RF, especially at Fenway.  The Sox could probably live with a sub-par RFer a couple of times a month but Victorino and Sizemore will need more rest days than that ... a combined 40 days off would be a stellar but unrealistic outcome.  The idea of playing Sizemore until he breaks is also pretty darn foolish.  If he can recapture some of what he was, he's a hell of a lot more valuable playing to his potential for 80-100 games than disappearing to the DL in May or June.  The guy might turn out to be our 2014 ace in the hole but he's trying for a coming back on the wrong side of 30.  A little realism might be in order.

Kim - You may not buy it but Sizemore is not ready for the daily grind and that isn't pure speculation.  That's the team's position on the issue and there isn't enough time in ST to prove otherwise.  He's about to try his second back-to-back game this week ... that's a country mile from playing 32 games in 35 days or even 25 games in 35 days.  They aren't going to construct their roster around the minimal possibility he can play 140+ games after being off the field for years.  Here's his history ...

2009    106 games

2010    33 games

2011    71 games

2012    0 games

2013    0 games

Smart money says there's a trade coming unless an injury comes first.  And then there's always the phantom injury to buy time.  Bottom line, JBJ will be on the 25 man roster one way or another.  And that's a good thing.

Good points for sure, but I don't want JBJ sitting on the bench 5 or 6 days out of 7, although I suppose he could be a late inning defensive replacement in LF in some situations.

I do like JBJ on the 25 man roster more than Carp, but just slightly more for the first month or two of the season, but gaining another year of control outweighs that for me. I don't like the fact that Victorino is the only other CF'er beyond Sizemore, and I hate the idea of playing Nava in RF as well, but I do think Sizemore can play 5 or 6 days a week. We do have 2 days off out of the first 15, but then play 13 straight. Maybe Shane might have to play CF 2-3 times the first month.

I may be wrong about what we can expect out of Sizemore as a FT CF'er, and I suspect Ben and John know what's up. If he can't play 5 out of every 6 games, I agree, JBJ will be on the 25 man roster. Anything better than that, and it gets into gray area.

Good points.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

Those were some impressive catches a la Ellsbury. I think he means business and is ready to show that he can play again. I love JBJ and we may still need him, but we don't lose him by playing Grady.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think we'll get creative with the DL to postpone the tough decision, otherwise, JBJ plays full time in AAA and gains an extra year of team control until someone gets hurt or falters.

They should net us a great prospect. I would hate to lose Carp and Nava. But Nava has earned the right to play full time, and if that's not going to be the case in Boston, maybe he should have that opportunity on another team. He's great without regular playing time. I can't imagine what he would be like as an everyday player.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

They should net us a great prospect. I would hate to lose Carp and Nava. But Nava has earned the right to play full time, and if that's not going to be the case in Boston, maybe he should have that opportunity on another team. He's great without regular playing time. I can't imagine what he would be like as an everyday player.

Nava is a platoon player that was forced to play near FT last year due to time missed by Victorino.

He is extremely valuable to the Sox, but he is not really a FT'er.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Nava is a platoon player that was forced to play near FT last year due to time missed by Victorino.

Last year, Nava was 2nd in OBP and 3rd in OPS of Sox players with over 100 games.

If that doesn't make him a capable FT player I don't know what does.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Moon,

I understand where you are coming from based on Nava's splits, but Daniel Nava always seems to surprise....people thought he was done and Lo and Behold, he makes the big club 2 years ago.....then they thought he was a HORRIBLE OF, and he turned himself into a good Leftfielder, an adequate RF, which Farrell says he is comfortabe with, an Adequate 1B, and now Farrell is even going to try him in CF.....he was never going to be a great hitter and he ends up in the AL Top ten last year....so No One could convince me that Nava could not make himself a better hitter from the Right Side of the plate....this guy is living the dream and he thinks if he puts his mind and effort to it, he can do anything.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Last year, Nava was 2nd in OBP and 3rd in OPS of Sox players with over 100 games.

He would not have started many games had Victorino not been hurt. If everyone is healthy, he only starts vs RHPs. To me, that's not full time, but getting 532 PAs last year is close enough to not argue the point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

I understand where you are coming from based on Nava's splits, but Daniel Nava always seems to surprise....people thought he was done and Lo and Behold, he makes the big club 2 years ago.....then they thought he was a HORRIBLE OF, and he turned himself into a good Leftfielder, an adequate RF, which Farrell says he is comfortabe with, an Adequate 1B, and now Farrell is even going to try him in CF.....he was never going to be a great hitter and he ends up in the AL Top ten last year....so No One could convince me that Nava could not make himself a better hitter from the Right Side of the plate....this guy is living the dream and he thinks if he puts his mind and effort to it, he can do anything.

Nava is one of my favorite Sox players, and I was bummed whern they benched him vs RHP during much of the post season, but he is not a decent fielder. He may be better than when he first came up, but look at these numbers:

LF: 26th out of 31 with a -14.2 UZR/150

RF: 27th out of 31 with a -15.0 UZR/150

Nava will not get a chance this year to prove he can hit lefties well enough to be a FT'er, unless someone gets hurt.

His splits:

vs RHPs vs LHPs

'10    .727   .637

'12    .797   .613

'13   .894   .647

Career .833  .634

I don't see much improvement vs lefties. He's at an age where you just don't expect great changes, but he did have a big boost last year vs RHPs, so...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

He would not have started many games had Victorino not been hurt. If everyone is healthy, he only starts vs RHPs. To me, that's not full time, but getting 532 PAs last year is close enough to not argue the point.

It's obvious that everyone will not be healthy.

Victorino has only played in a couple of games, essentially missing ST.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Nava playing RF for the first couple of weeks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from practial. Show practial's posts

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP John Lackey
    LHP Felix Doubront
    RHP Jake Peavy
    RHP Clay Buchholz

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Brandon Workman
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

CF-LF-RF Grady Sizemore

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)
    David Ortiz

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to practial's comment:

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP John Lackey
    LHP Felix Doubront
    RHP Jake Peavy
    RHP Clay Buchholz

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Brandon Workman
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

CF-LF-RF Grady Sizemore

DESIGNATED HITTER (1)
    David Ortiz

Correction: I meant Nava should play first base sometimes against righties.  While Carp is a decent player, he's not all that useful to the Red Sox at this point in time.

Sections
Shortcuts