Peter Abraham's Projecting the Red Sox roster-Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Peter Abraham's Projecting the Red Sox roster-Do you agree?

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Peter Abraham's Projecting the Red Sox roster-Do you agree?

I think Grady Sizemore has a legitimate shot to be on the opening day roster,depending on how he looks in ST.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

looks good

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Abraham is certainly going to be correct on many of his selections even with an injury or two happening or even a spring training trade, but there are so many other facctors to be considered that only time will tell if he is going to be 25 for 25.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Grady Sizemore has a legitimate shot to be on the opening day roster,depending on how he looks in ST.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same. He's scheduled to be in the starting line up for the first spring training game. We should get an idea then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I seldom bet against Vegas and when it comes to the beat writers down in spring training, I usually don't go against their opening day predictions. Center Field belongs to JBJ until he starts to bat poorly. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Sizemore in JBJ out.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to steven11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I seldom bet against Vegas and when it comes to the beat writers down in spring training, I usually don't go against their opening day predictions. Center Field belongs to JBJ until he starts to bat poorly. 

[/QUOTE]

Wellll.....you were wrong about A LOT of things last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Only way I see Sizemore makes the team out of ST is he's 100% healthy and productive while JBJ struggles or gets injured.  If JBJ has strong ST, regardless of how Sizemore performs, I don't see why teams sends JBJ down to AAA where he already posted .374 OBP in handful of games last season.  If JBJ and Sizemore both puts up crazy numbers during ST, I think either Carp or Nava could be dealt for pieces needed if there's one.  Carp is more realistic trade candidate than Nava.  Sizemore could come out of bench against righties and Nava plays the first base.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sizemore in JBJ out.

[/QUOTE]

We can only hope. Also Drew at SS and Bogie at 3rd.

[/QUOTE]

not everyone is in on that "we" 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

Thats probably the way it will shake out, but I like Workman in there instead of Capuano. Carrying three LHRP is excessive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

Thats probably the way it will shake out, but I like Workman in there instead of Capuano. Carrying three LHRP is excessive.

[/QUOTE]

I don't.  It makes a lot more since to give the swing man role to Workman.  Workman needs to be on a consistent schedule, starting or relieving.  That role can be very sporadic and on/off...and is not good for a young player still learning and developing.

If the Sox view Workman as a long term starter I'd like Workman/Webster/whoever is pitching better to slide into the role and keep Capuano as the Long reliever/spot man 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Only way I see Sizemore makes the team out of ST is he's 100% healthy and productive while JBJ struggles or gets injured.  If JBJ has strong ST, regardless of how Sizemore performs, I don't see why teams sends JBJ down to AAA where he already posted .374 OBP in handful of games last season.  If JBJ and Sizemore both puts up crazy numbers during ST, I think either Carp or Nava could be dealt for pieces needed if there's one.  Carp is more realistic trade candidate than Nava.  Sizemore could come out of bench against righties and Nava plays the first base.  

[/QUOTE]

There are no signs of JBJ struggling plus he has been down at Jet Blue Park for over two months.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There are no signs of JBJ struggling plus he has been down at Jet Blue Park for over two months.

[/QUOTE]

????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't.  It makes a lot more since to give the swing man role to Workman.  Workman needs to be on a consistent schedule, starting or relieving.  That role can be very sporadic and on/off...and is not good for a young player still learning and developing.

If the Sox view Workman as a long term starter I'd like Workman/Webster/whoever is pitching better to slide into the role and keep Capuano as the Long reliever/spot man 

[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that Capuano is talented enough to contribute in the ALE. He has never even pitched in the AL at all and had a 4.26/1.410 line last year for the Dodgers. Whats that going to translate into in the ALE? Not good. I do not like the signing because I think he will be useless. I understand your logic with Workman, but I do not believe that Capuano belongs on our roster. If he isn't replaced by Workman, we have other arms in the minors who should play instead of him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Workman needs/will be on the roster (PEN) .......  If healthy SIZEMORE could be in the leftfield mix ....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Hugh. While Workman did a fine job last year, the Sox view him as a starter and would be wise to keep him on a regular schedule in AAA until hes needed. Capuano is an older vet who is perfect for that spot. Workman needs his innings and regular rotation schedule.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do not believe that Capuano is talented enough to contribute in the ALE. He has never even pitched in the AL at all and had a 4.26/1.410 line last year for the Dodgers. Whats that going to translate into in the ALE? Not good. I do not like the signing because I think he will be useless. I understand your logic with Workman, but I do not believe that Capuano belongs on our roster. If he isn't replaced by Workman, we have other arms in the minors who should play instead of him.

[/QUOTE]

what stat line do most teams #5 or swing man have???? usually an ERA above 5.00

Capuano has historically also been a very good pitcher on the road and the fact that he generates a lot of ground balls and doesn't give up a lot of home runs should bode well for Fenway park.

This gives the Sox an opportunity to finish developing guys like workman right.  Afterall after St. Louis Boston has the best reputation for player development....it's moves like this that allow them to do so.  Capuano is a veteran a good clubhouse guy and a known commodity for a season that starts out heavy schedule wise.  All for a very low price. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How could there be signs of him struggling? He hasn't played since last year. When he struggled.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Hugh. While Workman did a fine job last year, the Sox view him as a starter and would be wise to keep him on a regular schedule in AAA until hes needed. Capuano is an older vet who is perfect for that spot. Workman needs his innings and regular rotation schedule.

[/QUOTE]

I suggested Workman; there are others who would better fit the role that Capuano is going to fill-RDLR, for example. I hope I am wrong, but I can see Capuano being nothing more than cannon fodder in the ALE. If we need a spot starter there are certainly better options than him, and as a reliever, his WHIP in the NL was over 1.4. Thats a huge red flag.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Workman needs/will be on the roster (PEN) .......  If healthy SIZEMORE could be in the leftfield mix ....

[/QUOTE]

agreed bill. If my gut feeling is right, grady sizemore may just be the biggest surprise of the spring training season. guy is totally healed up and I think he is hungry to get back into it.
    and workman has certainly earned his spot as well.

how ya been ya old seadawg?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I suggested Workman; there are others who would better fit the role that Capuano is going to fill-RDLR, for example. I hope I am wrong, but I can see Capuano being nothing more than cannon fodder in the ALE. If we need a spot starter there are certainly better options than him, and as a reliever, his WHIP in the NL was over 1.4. Thats a huge red flag.

[/QUOTE]

So was Workmans... Capuanos career WHIP is a bit lower and his WHIP on the road is about 1.15.  I also don't think that the difference between the ALE and the rest of baseball is as pronounced as it once was.  If anything the only defining factor is the DH spot in the AL.  Besides that I don't think the top hitters in the AL are any better than the top hitters in the NL. 

Capuano also has good numbers at Fenway park.  We have also seen what can happen with young pitchers, Workman slowed down a little bit after his first couple of appearances. the last month of the season he had an ERA 7.36 What Brandon Workman will we get the first month of the season?

I'd rather let the well oiled player development machine work the way it is suppose to and go with a known commodity that despite his numbers would out pitch most teams #5 starters. 

It's a good move. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So was Workmans... Capuanos career WHIP is a bit lower and his WHIP on the road is about 1.15.  I also don't think that the difference between the ALE and the rest of baseball is as pronounced as it once was.  If anything the only defining factor is the DH spot in the AL.  Besides that I don't think the top hitters in the AL are any better than the top hitters in the NL. 

Capuano also has good numbers at Fenway park.  We have also seen what can happen with young pitchers, Workman slowed down a little bit after his first couple of appearances. the last month of the season he had an ERA 7.36 What Brandon Workman will we get the first month of the season?

I'd rather let the well oiled player development machine work the way it is suppose to and go with a known commodity that despite his numbers would out pitch most teams #5 starters. 

It's a good move. 

[/QUOTE]

Capuano had an abyssmal ERA+ of 84 last year. He has a long history of mediocrity. Workman has pitched just 41 innings in his ML career. You cannot judge him based on such a small sample size. His ERA in the minors is 3.50. I think he is going to be much better than Capuano. As I said, I have no issue with leaving him at Pawtucket and allowing him to get more experience there, but the exchange should not be Capuano. My guess is that by June RS fans are probably going to get pretty tired of Capuano getting hammered out there.

Its not a good move.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

STARTING PITCHERS (5)
    LHP Jon Lester
    RHP Clay Buchholz
    RHP John Lackey
    RHP Jake Peavy
    LHP Felix Doubront

RELIEF PITCHERS (7)
    RHP Koji Uehara
    RHP Junichi Tazawa
    LHP Craig Breslow
    LHP Andrew Miller
    RHP Edward Mujica
    RHP Burke Badenhop
    LHP Chris Capuano

CATCHERS (2)
    A.J. Pierzynski
    David Ross

INFIELD (5)
    1B Mike Napoli
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    SS Xander Bogaerts
    3B Will Middlebrooks
    UTIL Jonathan Herrera

OUTFIELD (5)
    RF Shane Victorino
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr.
    LF Jonny Gomes
    LF-RF-1B Daniel Nava
    LF-1B Mike Carp

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's a good move. 

[/QUOTE]

Capuano had an abyssmal ERA+ of 84 last year. He has a long history of mediocrity. Workman has pitched just 41 innings in his ML career. You cannot judge him based on such a small sample size. His ERA in the minors is 3.50. I think he is going to be much better than Capuano. As I said, I have no issue with leaving him at Pawtucket and allowing him to get more experience there, but the exchange should not be Capuano. My guess is that by June RS fans are probably going to get pretty tired of Capuano getting hammered out there.

Its not a good move.

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Workman may have a better career, but that doesn't mean he will be better right now.  There is a very good chance that for the first month of the season when the schedule is heavy that Capuano would be better.

having more pitching depth is NEVER a bad move.  The Sox have also been applauded all around baseball for this move being a great value, fit and depth move for them.