Petition to Retire Red Sox #7 Richard Benjamin Ferrell

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Petition to Retire Red Sox #7 Richard Benjamin Ferrell

In response to Petition to Retire Red Sox #7 Richard Benjamin Ferrell:

Id say he had more than 4yrs of service, he had 10... so once again...Your wrong...

Robinson never had any service with the Red Sox, You are, once again, dead wrong. Nothing but pure politics.

What about Babe Ruth?

Babe Ruth's number should be retired.

The Red Sox never retired his number. He played 5+ years in Boston.

Luis Tiant? ..talk about a guy who had "quality years" in Boston.

Ferrell's in the Hall of Fame.

While we're at it let's retire #24 for Evans, # 38 for Schilling, #45 for Pedro, #21 for Clemens, Bruce Hurst? ...hey how about Bernie Carbo???

Pedro's number should be retired. The rest aren't HOF members.

If you are going to be flippant, at least give your comment some actual thought.

YOU were the one that brought up the number 42 to make your point, not me genius...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ferrell's excellence as a MLB player is indisputable.  However, he only played 5 years for the Sox (out of 18) so there is no case for the Sox to retire his number.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Ferrell's excellence as a MLB player is indisputable.  However, he only played 5 years for the Sox (out of 18) so there is no case for the Sox to retire his number.

And as I pointed out, he wore No. 7 for just two of those seasons.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

How many years was 42 with the Red Sox.

Fisk wasn't with the Red Sox for the 10 years they claim as a criteria.

Pesky wasn't a HOF'er.

Let's get real, the numbers retired are damaged by political nonsense.

11 years, Mr. Predictable, is more than 10.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

How many years was 42 with the Red Sox.

Fisk wasn't with the Red Sox for the 10 years they claim as a criteria.

Pesky wasn't a HOF'er.

Let's get real, the numbers retired are damaged by political nonsense.

Was this a question?  If so what does it mean?  Why no question mark?  This is confusing.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

You knew full well he had 9 full years and parts of 2 othersn with the Sox, and you posted in anticipation of arguing with anyone that pointed out he technically met the standard...hence my referring to you as Mr. Predictable, Mr. Predictable. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"The retired Red Sox numbers, along with Jackie Robinson's #42 that was retired by Major League Baseball in 1997, are posted on the right field facade in Fenway Park.

The Red Sox policy on retiring uniform numbers is based on the following criteria:

• Election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame
    • At least 10 years played with the Red Sox"

==========================

Carlton Fisk - #27
    • Carlton Fisk will always be remembered as the player who h1t the historic, 12th-inning, game-winning homer in Fenway Park off Reds pitcher Pat Darcy in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series. Besides being the hero on MLB's biggest stage in a game that has been referred to as "the greatest World Series game ever played," Fisk had many other memorable highlights during his 11-year career as a member of the Red Sox.
    Show me where "years" are defined vis a vis Sox retired numbers....or is it just more made-up stuff from you?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'm opposed to both, actually;  in fact am not keen on the idea of retiring numbers generally.  Both were great players and deserve honour, but why such a team-specific honour when neither payed much/at all for the Sox?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

2B-man with an OPS of .883, MVP with 7 other top 16 finishes, nearly 3 times as many BBs as Ks yet wasn't allowed to play until age 28....that's great to me.

But it was great for the Dodgers.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You don't get your number retired for 4 years of service

False, 42 is retired.

It should be about quality and quantity of service, not quantity of service. Pesky's number is retired, desevedly, but Ferrell gave the Red Sox both quantity and elite quality of service. He was the first free agent in MLB history, and has a unique place in baseball history as a member of the Red Sox.

Ferrell is a more unique part of Red Sox baseball history than Rice or Pesky, to name two. I suspect politics is behind the fact he's been blackballed in the Red Sox recognition PR departement.

So you want a guy who wear 3 different numbers for the Red Sox to have one of his numbers retired? Nomar had more impact on the Red Sox and they gave Nick Punto his number. You need a larger career with the team. Should Tom Seaver have his number retired by the Sox? This is what you do when you make a silly decision based on the fact you are from the same area a player is from. Jackie's number was retired by MLB not the Red Sox. The first FA was Flood because he dismantled the reserve clause not because he didn't have a contract for a season. To be honest Farrel shouldn't even be in the HOF as a Red Sock.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

It still bothers me they gave Nick Punto #5. I understand why they won't retire Nomar's number, but come on, let's be a bit selective about who wears it. Whether it's officially retired or not I'd like #5 to be thought of as Nomar's number - and I'd like to wear my home jersey without people thinking I'm a big fan of the worst player in the team.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

One of the great players and stories in Red Sox history. The first free agent in MLB history. Playing for owner Tom Yawekey, Ferrell was a volunteer on the first MLB team to be transported by air. An All-Star in every one of his 4 seasons with the Red Sox, Ferrell has one of the highest OBP in Red Sox history.

AL manager Connie Mack used Ferrell to catch the entire game in a 4-2 American League victory, even though future Hall of Fame members Mickey Cochrane and Bill Dickey were also on the team. When the Red Sox played the Cleveland Indians two weeks later on July 19, 1933, Ferrell hit a home run against his brother Wes, who later hit a home run off Boston pitcher Hank Johnson, marking the first time in major league history that brothers on opposing teams had hit home runs in the same game. -- Wiki

Playing as young children, the Ferrells would stick a stake in the ground to mark the longest hit ball, moving it when someone would hit one past it. Later, with the Red Sox, after hitting a home run off his brother, Wes, who would later pitch for the Red Sox, Rick told his brother "stick a stick up on that one" as he rounded the bases. In the next inning, his brother Wes would hit a home run and say "stick a stick up on that one". --HOF

Elected to the MLB HOF, inducted with his plaque showing him in his Boston Red Sox cap, Ferrell would go on to be one of the best major league executives and help the Detroit Tigers win two World Series Titles in 1968 and 1984.

Ferrell grew up on a farm in rural North Carolina.

Very important for Red Sox and baseball history to retire Ferrell's number.  

In the history of your dumb ideas, this might be your dumbest one yet.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

To be honest, Ferrell is in the MLB HOF, which makes him better than most in the Red Sox HOF. To be honest, you are so ignorant you can't even spell a Red Sox HOF'ers name. To be honest, it's a fact that Ferrell, not Flood, was the first MLB free agent. To be honest, it's embarrassing to see a number retired for a player who wasn't a great MLB player and who never played a single game for the Red Sox. I understand racial history guilt, but it simply makes men look small when they wallow in pride and pretend they have taken an action that makes them better than what preceded them. Men today are no better than men of yesterday, with moral failings that do not rise to a higher level than what preceded them.

You are the ignorant one. You can't tell the difference between MLB and the Boston Red Sox. He is not the first FA, he is should not be wearing a Sox cap in the Hall, and wearing 3 number in 5 years is reason enough not to retire his number.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

This is getting ridiculous.  For any rule, law, accolade, etc. there should be rules/minimum standards to prevent exactly the nonsense here some are creating by ignoring the rules.

If the MLB HOF has a rule about length of service, then follow it.  Is it parts of 10 seasons or more?  If so, then stop the absurd complaints about how few appearances constitute a "year".  Either 1 pinch running event in game 162 counts as a "year" or it doesn't....but stop the BS about what you think it means/should mean.

The Red Sox retired number rule appears to be HOF plus 10+ years as a RS players.  Fisk, by virtue of 9 full seasons and 2 brief periods counts by their rules....so why claim otherwise?  Disagree and complain to your heart's discontent, but you have to accept the rules of their private club.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Nomar made a big mistake, which I'm sure he regrets. He seems to be a good guy, so I hold no grudge against him. He's not a HOF'er, though. As for Punto, I agree, in that Cherry/Inepstein had no business giving him a two year contract to start with. If you don't have a farm that can supply the UIF every season, the farm stinks!

Yup. I think after he turned down the $60 million he went on to earn about $30 for the rest of his career. I don't think he was trying to get out of Boston, I think he was just negotiating. He wanted more, they wanted to give him less, etc...things just got ugly. But part of me is happy that if he had to break down the way he did, he did it elsewhere. Aside from the sitting on the bench in New York incident there aren't a lot of sad Nomar moments in a Red Sox uniform. If he's going to tear his groin apart leaving the batters box or tear his rib cage waving at a foul ball, rather it happen somewhere else...

Sections
Shortcuts