Phil Sign Delmon Young for $750K. Better The Gomes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Phil Sign Delmon Young for $750K. Better The Gomes!

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

"Clubhouse cancer" and "great clubhouse guy" are opnionated buzz phrases that are bigoted.

Ah yes, that would explain why the men most frequently cited as the cancers in the 2011 clubhouse were good ol' beer lovin' boys Beckett and Lackey.

Delmon Young is a great clubhouse guy, as long as there are no Jews in it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal

#Phillies announce signing of OF Delmon Young to one-year, $750,000 contract with performance bonuses. 

Where were the Boston Red Sox?

At least this guy has a pulse. Granted, he's had some problems. Still he did well in post season play.I'd rather have Young then Johnny Gomes any day.

Over the past two seasons, 119 players have had 1,000 PAs.  Of those 119 players, Young ranked #118, making him arguably the worst regular in the major leagues.  His OPS over the past two years is a whopping .702, owing mostly to a microscopic 3.9%.  Which is, of course, the worst in BB.

But this, of course, doesn't take into account his fielding ability.  Since 2008, there are 55 OFers that have logged at least 4,000 innings in the OF.  Delmon, again, is last among those 55.  Which is okay, I guess, since the Detroit Tigers, maybe the worst fielding team in BB last year, still only put him in the OF for 29 games, owing, I assume, to him being fat and all.

So, except for the fact that he is the second worst regular in BB over the past 2 years, has the lowest walk rate in BB over the past two years, is the worst fielding outfielder in BB over the past 5 years, is too fat to play the OF anymore, had a 50-game suspension for throwing a bat at the umpire, appears to have an alcohol problem, as well as an anti-Semitic issue, and in what I thought was kind of humorous, has to attend a program at the Museum of Tolerance, he's a fine candidate for LF.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal

#Phillies announce signing of OF Delmon Young to one-year, $750,000 contract with performance bonuses. 

At least this guy has a pulse. Granted, he's had some problems. Still he did well in post season play.I'd rather have Young then Johnny Gomes any day.

Over the past two seasons, 119 players have had 1,000 PAs.  Of those 119 players, Young ranked #118, making him arguably the worst regular in the major leagues.  His OPS over the past two years is a whopping .702, owing mostly to a microscopic 3.9%.  Which is, of course, the worst in BB.

But this, of course, doesn't take into account his fielding ability.  Since 2008, there are 55 OFers that have logged at least 4,000 innings in the OF.  Delmon, again, is last among those 55.  Which is okay, I guess, since the Detroit Tigers, maybe the worst fielding team in BB last year, still only put him in the OF for 29 games, owing, I assume, to him being fat and all.

So, except for the fact that he is the second worst regular in BB over the past 2 years, has the lowest walk rate in BB over the past two years, is the worst fielding outfielder in BB over the past 5 years, is too fat to play the OF anymore, had a 50-game suspension for throwing a bat at the umpire, appears to have an alcohol problem, as well as an anti-Semitic issue, and in what I thought was kind of humorous, has to attend a program at the Museum of Tolerance, he's a fine candidate for LF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Ken Rosenthal‏@Ken_Rosenthal

But other than that he's ok....and a bargain!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

"Clubhouse cancer" and "great clubhouse guy" are opnionated buzz phrases that are bigoted.

Ah yes, that would explain why the men most frequently cited as the cancers in the 2011 clubhouse were good ol' beer lovin' boys Beckett and Lackey.

Delmon Young is a great clubhouse guy, as long as there are no Jews in it.

When the Rays turned everything around in 2008, Carl Crawford said the biggest change was getting rid of some of the toxic young guys in the dugout, specifically referring to Elijah Dukes and Delmon Young...

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

And advocating for one of the worst regulars in BB won't help.

So we have the good ole boy posters defaming young with "as long as no Jews are in the Phillies clubhouse and the great clubhouse guy Carl Crawford".

We have Joe, taking a guy making nearly zero, and using the phrase "worst regular guy" to undermine his bigoted case. Sorry, Young in a platoon role is far superior value and fit than "great clubhouse guy" Johnny.

Amongst your liberal brethren, I'm sure that the use of numbers to make an assessment is considered racist if the numbers yield an adverse opinion of one of your protected classes.  But out here, in the real world, we use the Ameritocracy.  You have to earn something by your production instead of being entitled to it.  Your brand of entitlementism no longer works in BB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Reggie Jackson was a terrible clubhouse guy.

Anyone have that list of Red Sox "clubhouse cancers", and who are the stupid young white guys on your "clubhouse cancer" list.

And on what basis do you accuse Reggie of being a terrible clubhouse guy?  The fact that he is an African-American?  Is that all the evidence needed in your part of the Ozarks?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would take delmon young at 750k over gomes at 2 yrs 10 mill anyday. young is 27 and could be a good player still, he has shown what he can do in the past. gomes has always been extremely average and sucks in the field. (not that young is any better, but at least he has an arm) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Amazing how as soon as race is interjected the thread goes to he!!. Race has nothing to do with the conversation. It has been published that DY has had issues on and off the field It is why he has been on 5 teams in 6 yrs. JG has not had either But has been on 5 teams in 10 yrs 5 with the Rays.

I'm also surprised that the cconversation on defense in LF at Fenway is no longer a major need. After having Yaz, Rice, and Williams I playing LF quite well for many years we dismiss it so easily.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Anyone have that list of Red Sox "clubhouse cancers", and who are the stupid young white guys on your "clubhouse cancer" list.

Sure.  Beckett and Lackey - extremely white guys...many people here would also go along with stupid...and young, well, that's a relative concept and not especially relevant to this anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

FWIW, this post from a die-hard Phillie fan friend this morning:

delmon young? really? with spring training only 3 weeks away i am already feeling anxious and sense impending doom for the 2013 season. *sigh* #philliesfan

He's not the only one.  Having spent much time in the great state of Pennsylvania, I have a bunch of Phillie fans.  No one is happy about signing Delmon Young.  Delmon Young is terrible, though clearly someone who can rise to the occasion, which is a good trait.  But, not enough to make up for his overall lack of prowess.  

And, I am not even taking into account any off-the-field intangibles because I have learned from Softy that this is a racist thing to do.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

As Tampa Bay Devil Ray teammates in 2007, Delmon Young posted a WAR* of 0.5 in 162 games while Jonny Gomes posted a WAR of 0.3 in 107 games:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TBD/2007.shtml

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference. FanGraphs had Young with 0.0 WAR in 2007 and Gomes with 0.4 WAR: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2007&month=0&season1=2007&ind=0&team=12&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

would take delmon young at 750k over gomes at 2 yrs 10 mill anyday. young is 27 and could be a good player still, he has shown what he can do in the past. gomes has always been extremely average and sucks in the field. (not that young is any better, but at least he has an arm) 

You are correct, but you won't convince the bigots who use "clubhouse cancer" and "good clubhouse guy" to justify spending 10 times more for an older guy who is nothing but a bench/platoon profile OF'er himself. But, hey, "he's a good clubhouse guy". As if most Red Sox fans and Cherry have a clue about getting "good clubhouse guys" for 150 million plus a year.

OK, lets allow for your warped (and hypocritical) version of  PC.  Lets remove 'clubhouse' anything from the equation.

Delmon Young still s&%ks.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

would take delmon young at 750k over gomes at 2 yrs 10 mill anyday. young is 27 and could be a good player still, he has shown what he can do in the past. gomes has always been extremely average and sucks in the field. (not that young is any better, but at least he has an arm) 

You are correct, but you won't convince the bigots who use "clubhouse cancer" and "good clubhouse guy" to justify spending 10 times more for an older guy who is nothing but a bench/platoon profile OF'er himself. But, hey, "he's a good clubhouse guy". As if most Red Sox fans and Cherry have a clue about getting "good clubhouse guys" for 150 million plus a year.

if the best thing you can say about delmon young is that "he has a good arm" then i don't want him on my team.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

OK, lets allow for your warped (and hypocritical) version of  PC.  Lets remove 'clubhouse' anything from the equation.

Delmon Young still s&%ks.

I refer your warped and hypocritical version of PC and "clubhouse guy" to the comment, supra, from Hill.

... oh ... kaaayyyy ...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

posted at 1/23/2013 12:38 PM EST

• hill55
    • First: 1/14/2006
    • Last: 1/23/2013

As Tampa Bay Devil Ray teammates in 2007, Delmon Young posted a WAR* of 0.5 in 162 games while Jonny Gomes posted a WAR of 0.3 in 107 games:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TBD/2007.shtml

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference. FanGraphs had Young with 0.0 WAR in 2007 and Gomes with 0.4 WAR: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2007&month=0&season1=2007

Space, I just reposted Hill's comment on "clubhouse cancer" Delmon Young and "good clubhouse guy" Johnny Gomes, in case you missed it. I knew you would want to evaluate allt he data before deciding on which player offers the better value when Jews aren't in Delmon Young's lockerroom.

OK, now that I am clear on the marginal difference in their respective WAR numbers from 6 years ago, I feel more grounded in the facts.  I realize that my bigotry probably blinded me from using marginal statistical differences from 2007 as the determining factor in my analysis.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Delmon Young was paid $6,750,000 in 2012. He just took one of the biggest pay cuts in MLB history. I think he needs a new agent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

You should now be clear that the marginal differences of "clubhouse cancer" and "good clubhouse guy" can be blinding in your "analysis".

Now, that is a fair criticism.  I concede that, in a desire to see the clubhouse culture/lack-of-chemistry-mojo of the past two years rectified, I do find myself perhaps over-valuing 'clubhouse'/glue-guy/'gamer' intangibles.  

However, as stated in my previous concise analysis of Delmon Young, without factoring any shading of clubhouse nature, Delmon s&%ks.  There is a reason the Phils got him for 750K.

Now, that doesn't mean I am blinded from the fact that the Sox grossly overpaid for Gomes, purely based on his clubhouse reputation.  I make no assertion that this is wise from a financial stand-point.

But from a purely baseball standpoint, I would rather have Gomes than Young.  Young has awful plate discipline (no, that is not Bigotry, that is culled from watching him play and his OBP, which i take very seriously).  Gomes is, while not great, a decent on-base guy and last year showed marked improvement (albeit in a platoon role [of course Young is platoon material too]).  Gomes also has better power.  Both are butchers in the field.  Young has a better arm, but that doesn't really strike me as that important for a Sox left-fielder.  

Thats baseball.  I dont want a sub .300 OBP guy.  That is something that made the Sox line-up strong for years, and which they failed at last year.  Must be rectified.  I want grinders, not wild flailers.  Is that bigotry?