PHILLIES HAVE OUR PERMANENT 1B!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

PHILLIES HAVE OUR PERMANENT 1B!!

I have been saying for several years that Chase Utley is the second coming of Don Mattingly.  Both started their careers as 2nd basemen, have very good gloves, and bats!  I think acquiring Utley would give us a very solid 1B for quite a while!  If the trade price is too much, then wait and sign him as a free agent at the end of the season.  A second, but less desireable, alternative would be Mayberry, Jr. who always was a 1B, but was moved to the OF to get him into the lineup with Howard at 1B.  The kid has a good glove and bat!  Our current bandaid at 1B does not have the glove, and is having a so-so year on offense.

SO, I SAY, GO GET UTLEY!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Re: PHILLIES HAVE OUR PERMANENT 1B!!

Our future 1st baseman going forward is going to be Middlebrooks. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to REBEL's comment:

I have been saying for several years that Chase Utley is the second coming of Don Mattingly.  Both started their careers as 2nd basemen, have very good gloves, and bats!  I think acquiring Utley would give us a very solid 1B for quite a while!  If the trade price is too much, then wait and sign him as a free agent at the end of the season.  A second, but less desireable, alternative would be Mayberry, Jr. who always was a 1B, but was moved to the OF to get him into the lineup with Howard at 1B.  The kid has a good glove and bat!  Our current bandaid at 1B does not have the glove, and is having a so-so year on offense.

Mattingly didn't start out as a 2B. He threw left. He played .1 innings at 2B, likely in as an emergency. Are you sure you're not thinking of Rod Carew, who started as a 2B with Minnesota and played 1B with the Angels.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

NEGATIVE!!! Forget the rich fat-cats! Keep going with the kids! Look at what's happening to the Yankees!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Mayberry did not start out as a 1B.  He started out as a CF, which was the position he plsyed at Stanford.  The 1B there was former Red Sox Chris Carter.  Are you maybe thinking of his dad, who played 1b for the Royals (though they typically used him as a DH)?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Mayberry did not start out as a 1B.  He started out as a CF, which was the position he plsyed at Stanford.  The 1B there was former Red Sox Chris Carter.  Are you maybe thinking of his dad, who played 1b for the Royals (though they typically used him as a DH)?

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

Maybe he was thinking of John Mayberry Sr.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Mattingly didn't start out as a 2B. He threw left. He played .1 innings at 2B, likely in as an emergency. Are you sure you're not thinking of Rod Carew, who started as a 2B with Minnesota and played 1B with the Angels.

Maybe he was thinking of Don Mattingly Sr.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Wow are you kidding? I guess if you say playing 2nd base for 1/3 of an inning in 1983 because of a ship constitutes starting out a career then I guess you are right. But, he never started his career there. He played 2B for that one out because the Yankees employed 5 infielders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Very funny thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm not worried about 1B.  Napoli has another prolonged hot streak in him this year.  Behind him you have Carp and Nava.

Bullpen help and third base are larger needs, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I'm not worried about 1B.  Napoli has another prolonged hot streak in him this year.  Behind him you have Carp and Nava.

Agree !!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

as ol Bill-806 would say................that's a  BINGO!

Sections
Shortcuts