phillies / madson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

phillies / madson

4 yrs / 44m , option 5th year

what the *** ?

phils just blown apart the market for closers, paps and bell will be looking for 13/14m a year....cant see sox handing a closer 4/56.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Re: phillies / madson

I don't think Paps intends coming back to the Sox.  He is headed to greener pastures and will command a hefty price tag.  He has shown that he is durable and there are teams that will offer him big money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Not a done deal yet, but its a ton of money. Paps and Bell will be licking their chops.  Madson was looking like an affordable option for Sox after paps signs wherever- not so much.

Phils already meeting with Cuddyer.  Geez, they grab Pence and scoop the Sox on this guy, too?  How many more OF'ers do they need?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Guvnor. Show Guvnor's posts

the sox are going to need jenks to rise, phoenix like, from the ashes and turn the clock back a few years.....otherwise its bard or aceves closing and that just creates another hole elsewhere.

cant see ben paying up big for bell or pap at that price.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to phillies / madson:
    4 yrs / 44m , option 5th year what the *** ? phils just blown apart the market for closers, paps and bell will be looking for 13/14m a year....cant see sox handing a closer 4/56.
    Posted by Guvnor

Well all I can say is kudo's so far to the Nationals and Phils for retaining Wang and Madson, two players that I really felt could have helped our cause. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It might make Jenks look like a bargain if he can stuff his fat behind into his pants for a few games this year...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the Sox don't re-sign Papelbon, they probably use Bard.  Nearly every FA closer available this year isa Type A...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: phillies / madson:
    I don't think Paps intends coming back to the Sox.  He is headed to greener pastures and will command a hefty price tag.  He has shown that he is durable and there are teams that will offer him big money.
    Posted by traven

Which teams will offer? Who values a closer to that much money other than 3-4 teams? Sox, Phil's, Yanks. Who else pays that sum? Six foolish not to give him 3/45. He is durable, dependable and can handle the role. Does Bard have the talent? Yes. Can he handle the job? Not sure. With the team payroll at 160, For the sake of 5 million this team should be going for world series, not pinching the closer role. Sign him

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox have already said that they are not going into the FA market in a big way this year so one would have to assume that Paps is gone.  However there are a lot of good front line closers available to the Sox but they need to act sooner rather than later to close the deal on one of them.  If not - Bard gets the job through attrition and hopefully is ready to step up. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Have Bard and Aceves compete for the closer role---my choice would be Aceves.

Have Bard and Jenks share the set-up.

From within--Bowden and Weiland--learn their craft on the job to be relief guys in the majors--the best one stays when Rich Hill recovers from TJ. Morales showed me he's capable. Atch and two scrap heap guys and you're in business.
    Doubrount and perhaps Buehrle round out the pitching staff with Alex Wilson and others from AAA or AA ready to step in.

I'm sure I'm leaving someone out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Hard to believe  Paps   was here   7 years.   He   exited final day  quietly, burned no bridges..  If he was making  12 million in 2011... why not give him  14  ?

At the end of a 4/56      that might look cheap.. and you know what you got. A rock solid horse  that plays the game.

Jenks? what makes anyone thinks Jenks is going to make it out of spring training ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

jacky Pap has been a very durable guy, a team guy, but his goal is to be the highest paid closer--sorry I hope the Sox don't give it to him. Perhaps I will regret that statement but I think Aceves has the makeup to be as good a closer as Pap. In addition I think before Bard ran out of gas in Sept. if you polled the starting pitchers I have a feeling most would have wanted Bard to close their games.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Can we joke for a bit & make Beckett the closer. He should be able to bring it for
    an inning or two.

I like Paps but it may be time to move on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not a done deal yet, but its a ton of money. Paps and Bell will be licking their chops.  Madson was looking like an affordable option for Sox after paps signs wherever- not so much. Phils already meeting with Cuddyer.  Geez, they grab Pence and scoop the Sox on this guy, too?  How many more OF'ers do they need?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Ibanez is a free agent and with Howard out until June Mayberry will be playing first so the answer is they need at least one to replace Ibanez in left...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I know Paps would love to come back to Boston, but if there is a team that offer more than Madson, he ll go!!!  The chance of happening is very slim.  The problem right now is that these teams who wanted Paps also wanted Pujols, Reyes, Prince, Buehrle, Edwin Jackson, Rollins, etc. before they all want Paps.  Too many teams have main priorities than worry about Paps.  Still I do think that if one of the team loses out every single free agents such as Toronto, I wouldnt be surprise Toronto will just throw out a big fat contract to get Paps!!  Still would they do it?  Dont know.

That is why I hope these closers are the first group among these free agents to start signing with same team or old teams before Pujols, Prince, Reyes start signing with a new team or old team.  So therefore, the chance for Paps to come back to Boston would be higher than having Paps to take his time thru the whole winter and find the offer he like!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yes - please don't resign Paps.

I don't understand some of the logic here. Why does RSN care if Payroll jumps to 180 million if it means keeping the players you need.

Once again, the Evil Empire would be grateful if you let Paps and Papi walk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to phillies / madson:
    4 yrs / 44m , option 5th year what the *** ? phils just blown apart the market for closers, paps and bell will be looking for 13/14m a year....cant see sox handing a closer 4/56.
    Posted by Guvnor

Soriano got 12M to set up for the Yanks last year...Madson @ 11 per represents market value for a proven closer...Papelbon who's seen as one of the top 4 or 5 in the game will command something in the 13M to 15M per for 5 or 6 years 5yr/75M is IMHO the best that Papelbon could expect, and will likely settle somehwere in the 5yr/70M with an option for the 6th year to sweeten the pot...Bell & Velverde will fall somewhere south of that. Krod is another likely to command moneys close to Papelbons per anum on a shrter term deal...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Yes - please don't resign Paps. I don't understand some of the logic here. Why does RSN care if Payroll jumps to 180 million if it means keeping the players you need. Once again, the Evil Empire would be grateful if you let Paps and Papi walk.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Based on the current competitive balance tax which is estimated to be around 180M the Sox have clsoe to 40M to spend on the 2012 roster gie or take a few million. If they want to make either of them an offer they have the funds to do so...The question that begs to be answered is does signing Papelbon @ 14M per represent that much of an upgrade over Bard...or are the moneys earmarked for Papelbon better spent bolstering the starting rotation and allowing Bard to show that he's up to the challenge of closing...

Regarding Papi I can go either way, sign him or let him walk. We don't currently have player on the roster or in our system that profiles as a proven run producing 5 hole hitter...So regardless of whether they sign him or not, they are going to need that player. So in his case, it's a question of whether or not they want to add a player that offers them the same offensive upside but one with more position flexibility (Beltran). Or simply resign him and then add a solid platoon RH bat to play RF...

My take is that replacing Papi's bat is far more critical to the success of the 2012 team than Papelbon...

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

greetings BT The question that begs to be answered is does signing Papelbon @ 14M per represent that much of an upgrade over Bard ...or are the moneys earmarked for Papelbon better spent bolstering the starting rotation and allowing Bard to show that he's up to the challenge of closing IMO it's not about paps vs bard it's about paps & bard vs bard & bards replacement the papi vs b eltran debate is very intriguing to me but it's kinda of annoying  to see how few posters   here show the proper respect the yr papi had
    Posted by pinstripezac

Zac,
    I disagree I think it goes deeper than Pap & Bard and or Bard v Bards replacement...becasue of the need for two proven starters and the moneys needed to shore up the rotation...Bard, Morales, Aveces and Jenks gives them internal options for the back end of the pen and they could alway sign, say Broxton as another big armed late innings reliever and give him the opportunity to compete for the closers role with Bard in the spring...

I don't sense a ton of disprespect for the numbers or the year that Papi posted in 2011 at least not from those that understand how to put his season into proper persepctive. With him the issues are age 36 how much is left in the tank and that he offers little in terms of value with the glove. Make no mistake his bat or a like hitter is clearly near or at the top of the to-do list heading into next season....

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

from the file marked '' how important are closers '' Wed Nov 09 06:02am EST Blue Jays coveting big-name closers By Mark J. Miller Out of 58 save chances last season, the Toronto Blue Jays only converted 33 of them. That put them at 26th in the league in saves. If they had had even a semi-decent closer, it would have changed the American League East race significantly. As it is, the team finished 16 games behind the division-winning New York Yankees. So the Jays aren't just looking for a semi-decent closer this offseason. ESPN reports that the team is in the hunt for an excellent closer and they have "discussed signing" Jonathan Papelbon(notes), Joe Nathan(notes), or Heath Bell(notes). The Jays are also said to be looking into snagging Oakland Athletics reliever Andrew Bailey(notes) via trade, the site notes.
    Posted by pinstripezac
    if the jays had had paps last year and the sox not than  the race for the wild card would have been a wild 3 team race.If the sox don't sign paps expect that to happen in 2012

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: phillies / madson : Based on the current competitive balance tax which is estimated to be around 180M the Sox have clsoe to 40M to spend on the 2012 roster gie or take a few million.
    Posted by Beantowne

Actually, there currently is not a CBT, as it expired at the end of the 2011 season as per the CBA.  While there will probably be something similar in the upcoming CBA, we can't be sure of the exact figures for it, which is why I don't think the Sox will make any big moves until the new CBA is in place.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts