Phillies Stole Hunter Pence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Phillies Stole Hunter Pence

All they gave up for him was 2 decent, but not blue chip AA prospects...and another so-so prospect, plus a "player to be named later". Highway robbery to land an all-star caliber right-fielder: http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/07/29/pence-trade-may-be-wades-defining-moment-need-to-vent-im-here-for-ya/#finalframe 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Phillies Stole Hunter Pence

In Response to Phillies Stole Hunter Pence:
         All they gave up for him was 2 decent, but not blue chip AA prospects...and another so-so prospect, plus a "player to be named later". Highway robbery to land an all-star caliber right-fielder: http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/07/29/pence-trade-may-be-wades-defining-moment-need-to-vent-im-here-for-ya/#finalframe  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I can't believe the Astros GM was dumb enough to trade Pence to the Phillies for such players.  I really wonder why Theo couldn't do better, or if he is saving the prospects for a SP.  The Astros will be lucky if their fans even care to buy tickets anymore, especially if Bourne also gets traded.

If we end up with just Bedard after this I will be very dissapointed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It was one thing knowing Drew was on the bench to back up Reddick, and Drew being healthy. Now he has twinges and irritations, this suddenly has turned into a must rather than a luxury move to find a RF. 

The new RF could just be a 4th outfielder, I am not saying Reddick cant do the job but lets face it if he cant we need that 4th OF to be a proven provider.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Phillies Stole Hunter Pence:
    It was one thing knowing Drew was on the bench to back up Reddick, and Drew being healthy. Now he has twinges and irritations , this suddenly has turned into a must rather than a luxury move to find a RF.  The new RF could just be a 4th outfielder, I am not saying Reddick cant do the job but lets face it if he cant we need that 4th OF to be a proven provider.
    Posted by BurritoT

It shows very little faith or care by the Astros GM for his clubs future to trade their star player to another NL club for peanuts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am more upset with Drews "twinges and irritations," I tell you man this dude has been near useless ever since he "tweaked" his pinky on the airplane to the West Coast.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

craze I wonder how the Red Sox could not have made this deal? We went from desiring a RF out of lust to desperately needing one. And now Reddick as a trade chip is useless, we are going to need him more than ever as of today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

craze I wonder how the Red Sox could not have made this deal? We went from desiring a RF out of lust to desperately needing one. And now Reddick as a trade chip is useless, we are going to need him more than ever as of today.
    Posted by BurritoT

I agree but lets wait to see if Theo can land Karoda or Jimenez.  That could put us in a decent position in the event both the Sox and Phils make the WS.  If Clay doesn't come back we will be dead in the water using Lackey.  If Reddick doesn't pan out even worse.  Hopefully Theo gets a RH bat and doesn't just rely on Drew and Mcd.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

The prospect are needed for the great Jeff Francouer and Bedard, found for cheap in many GM dumpsters. Theo is sharp ;)
    Posted by billbyboy

And yet you were against Hunter Spence.
    My, my, your goal post moving sure is sharp.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Drew only plays hard when he wants to.  Every contract year he's bumped his number up.  Now he's heading for retirement so he could care less about the team that gave him $14 million a year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So the Phillies "stole" Hunter Pence?

Jonathan Singleton was the #39 prospect in MLB according the Baseball America's 2011 pre-season ranking.

Jarred Cosart was #70 on the same list.

The only 2 Red Sox prospects in the top 70 were Jose Iglesias (#52) and Anthony Ranaudo (#67).

So if you have faith in those polls/rankings, the Phillies gave up a package the Sox could not even equal, yet somehow we were supposed to beat it easily? 

I know there have been some changing in the rankings since then, but lets' not pretend it makes these players worthless and suddenly worse than ours...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

So the Phillies "stole" Hunter Pence? Jonathan Singleton was the #39 prospect in MLB according the Baseball America's 2011 pre-season ranking. Jarred Cosart was #70 on the same list. The only 2 Red Sox prospects in the top 70 were Jose Iglesias (#52) and Anthony Ranaudo (#67). So if you have faith in those polls/rankings, the Phillies gave up a package the Sox could not even equal, yet somehow we were supposed to beat it easily?  I know there have been some changing in the rankings since then, but lets' not pretend it makes these players worthless and suddenly worse than ours...
    Posted by notin

Dead on Notin!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I think the Astros sold him for a ridiculously low price. Teams usually overpay on these deadline deals. Two good prospects who are both a couple of years away, a nobody, and a PTBNL. Not much of a haul for your best player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

They should (the Phillies) have had to at least pay a hundred million in cash too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

So the Phillies "stole" Hunter Pence? Jonathan Singleton was the #39 prospect in MLB according the Baseball America's 2011 pre-season ranking. Jarred Cosart was #70 on the same list. The only 2 Red Sox prospects in the top 70 were Jose Iglesias (#52) and Anthony Ranaudo (#67). So if you have faith in those polls/rankings, the Phillies gave up a package the Sox could not even equal, yet somehow we were supposed to beat it easily?  I know there have been some changing in the rankings since then, but lets' not pretend it makes these players worthless and suddenly worse than ours...
    Posted by notin

Nice post, notin.

Houston is at least two years away from contending so the Astros were content with high-ranking prospects currently playing at lower levels. A parallel Red Sox offer of Anthony Renaudo and Will Middlebrooks (plus two more prospects) probably would not have been as attractive to the Astros.

ESPN's Keith Law had Jarred Cosart and Jonathan Singleton both in the Top 25 of his midseason prospect list.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Looks like some didn't read Notin's post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DCSoxFan13. Show DCSoxFan13's posts

Posted by notin

Concur, great post Notin.  Hope you don't mind, but I just repeated it in another thread (giving credit where credit is due).  When we discuss potential trades we tend to over value our prospects (I'm guilty of this as well) while minimalizing the value of other team's prospects.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's a solid deal for both sides. The Phillies were willing to give up two pretty highly regarded, very young prospects. Houston is at least a few years away, so why not take the younger guys? In 2 years it may look like Houston stole two good Major Leaguers for only Pence.

Pence is good, don't get me wrong, and I think he would be a VERY good fit in right at Fenway (good arm, good speed, power, right handed bat), but even if the Sox had the prospects to do it, which they may or may not, their farm would be empty, and I think the Astros got a very high price on Pence. I don't see him doing any better, if he maitinas this for more than a few years, I'll be surprised.

RF is not a true need to me right now. Sure, it'd be nice to get an all star, but Reddick is doing just fine for now. 4th OFers ARE players like Drew and McDonald, that's the reality of baseball. The Sox went out and got their strs in the offseason. I'd be very surprised if they added another now.

I was one of the many people who critisized the Yankees on their $500 million offseason of CC, Tex, AJ. The Sox spent $300 on Gonzalez and Crawford. Enough is enough for now, they DO, contrary to what I keep reading, actually have a good enough team tow in it all. You can't take a chicken little approach and worry about injuries. They happen. If Halladay hurts his shoulder, then CC pulls his back, and both miss the rest of the season, the need for another starter goes away. My point is, it's silly to count on/project/worry about injuries.

If what they have now produces, they can easily win. If they don't produce or get hurt, well, stuff happens. If they empty their farm AND lose...well, that's a recipe for disaster for more than a single season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

yeah i was expecting a huge overpay for pence.
    oh well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Posted by notin

That may explain why the Phils, and not the Sox, were able to pull this deal off. But, it's still a case of highway robbery to land a proven, 25 home-run, .290-.300 hitter, in his prime, who put up these stats despite having no protection in his former batting line-up...for such a low price.

Isn't it ironic that Philly sports teams were able to land Pence and Nnamdi Asomagha at the same time?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

They should (the Phillies) have had to at least pay a hundred million in cash too.
    Posted by BurritoT

That's a another thing...the Astros threw $2mil. into the deal. Ridiculous!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's a solid deal for both sides. The Phillies were willing to give up two pretty highly regarded, very young prospects. Houston is at least a few years away, so why not take the younger guys? In 2 years it may look like Houston stole two good Major Leaguers for only Pence. Pence is good, don't get me wrong, and I think he would be a VERY good fit in right at Fenway (good arm, good speed, power, right handed bat), but even if the Sox had the prospects to do it, which they may or may not, their farm would be empty, and I think the Astros got a very high price on Pence. I don't see him doing any better, if he maitinas this for more than a few years, I'll be surprised. RF is not a true need to me right now. Sure, it'd be nice to get an all star, but Reddick is doing just fine for now. 4th OFers ARE players like Drew and McDonald, that's the reality of baseball. The Sox went out and got their strs in the offseason. I'd be very surprised if they added another now. I was one of the many people who critisized the Yankees on their $500 million offseason of CC, Tex, AJ. The Sox spent $300 on Gonzalez and Crawford. Enough is enough for now, they DO, contrary to what I keep reading, actually have a good enough team tow in it all. You can't take a chicken little approach and worry about injuries. They happen. If Halladay hurts his shoulder, then CC pulls his back, and both miss the rest of the season, the need for another starter goes away. My point is, it's silly to count on/project/worry about injuries. If what they have now produces, they can easily win. If they don't produce or get hurt, well, stuff happens. If they empty their farm AND lose...well, that's a recipe for disaster for more than a single season.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

With the Sox...it's championship, or bust. Right now, I don't see the Sox to be on the same level with the Phillies...who appear to be the best team in baseball. 

I'm not saying that the Sox should have done whatever it took to get Pence. The Buchholtz back injury has made pitching their greatest need. I'm simply saying that the Phils got Pence cheap.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

lol kuroda would not help the sox very much. Ubaldo is the only pitcher that is worth getting. Trade the prospect and get him on the first flight to beantown.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

lol kuroda would not help the sox very much. Ubaldo is the only pitcher that is worth getting. Trade the prospect and get him on the first flight to beantown.
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Houston lefty Wandy Rodriguez would also be a good addition. The Yankees are reportedly hot on his trail.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Here's a break down on the guys the Astros got for Pence, plus $2mil.: http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/07/30/how-the-prospects-from-pence-trade-fit-in-astros-farm-system/

Sections
Shortcuts