Phils sign Willis!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Phils sign Willis!

he was one that I hoped the Sox would take a chance on, but everyone thought I was nuts. Guess the Phillies are nuts too....they got him for a paltry
    1M, and i bet he will prove to be much more valuable than that.

However, we did bring back Shoppach, even thogh we had plenty of catching depth (not great defensive depth, but depth nonetheless), when we needed pitching. Maybe BC thinks a good defensive catcher will make Miller, Weiland, and Dubront pitch better!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Re: Phils sign Willis!

They must have Mister Drummond like money to bring him in.
    ....I am assuming we are talking about Dontrelle Willis?  In which case-so what?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Now I am seeing more teams signing bunch of non-tendered players than current free agents.  Guess these teams know these free agents's asking price are way too high.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Willis is a minor league contract flier.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

He softens the blow of losing Oswalt to FA...sure...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Clever signing by the Phils.  When you have Halliday/Hamels/Lee, it will be a total mind f*%k for opposing offenses to then see a pitcher throwing 82 mph max with no control.  The old good pitcher/bad pitcher strategy.  Nice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Spaceman: Like your thinking, but Willis lost his control when he lost his control in booze.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Phils sign Willis!:
    Spaceman: Like your thinking, but Willis lost his control when he lost his control in booze.
    Posted by beavis

I know the feeling.  Problem, he is, never got it back even after he put down the bottle.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I think the reigning NLE champs know what they are doing. I predict Willis wins 10-12 games for them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

2011 Phillies joined the 2011 Red Sox as two of the biggest non-Yankee team busts in major league baseball history. Two MLBPA embarrassments from 2011.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"The Philadelphia Phillies have reached agreement on a one-year major league deal with free agent Dontrelle Willis, a baseball source said Tuesday."

Hmmm....anonymous "baseball source" or Softy, which is more likely to be wrong......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Dim bulb, I stated what Willis was in true value, not what the deal was. Phillies overpaid and bid against themselves.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Whatchu talking bout

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hank - how do you figure the 2011 Phils were busts?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

"The Philadelphia Phillies have reached agreement on a one-year major league deal with free agent Dontrelle Willis , a baseball source said Tuesday." Hmmm....anonymous "baseball source" or Softy, which is more likely to be wrong......
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars

Objectively speaking and right or wrong,  Softy has more baseball knowledge than the majority of posters here combined.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Signing Willis is akin to signing Penny and Smoltz. Low risk - high reward. Fans will expect good results and when the results don't come they will get up from their armchair and call the GM inept. Such are the the rules of the game on the Internet forums. Cashman was a genius with Colon and Garcia and Theo was inept with Penny and Smoltz.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Phils sign Willis! : Objectively speaking and right or wrong,  Softy has more baseball knowledge than the majority of posters here combined.
    Posted by ampoule

LMAO!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

LOLOL, I got them riled up again with my Jake and Jeb routine. It fools them every time. They are so gullible. This is so much fun.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Signing Willis is akin to signing Penny and Smoltz. Low risk - high reward. 

You can say that about any former good player that has fallen on hard times.  The last time Willis had a Whip lower than 1.419 was 2005.  His Whip over the past 5 years is 1.719.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Phils sign Willis! : LMAO!!!!!!
    Posted by Alibiike

Ali,  many people don't like Hank's(Softy) politics and I believe because of that they discount his baseball knowledge.  We may not agree with all he says baseball-wise, but one thing he certainly isn't is the village idiot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Phils sign Willis! : Ali,  many people don't like Hank's(Softy) politics and I believe because of that they discount his baseball knowledge.  We may not agree with all he says baseball-wise, but one thing he certainly isn't is the village idiot.
    Posted by ampoule

I agree he's a bright guy, but the reason why people discount his BB knowledge is obsession with getting rid of Ellsbury.  He's been looking to dump him for years, and the better Ellsbury gets, the crazier Softy gets.  He has a complete inability to admit when he's wrong.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In Response to Re: Phils sign Willis! : I agree he's a bright guy, but the reason why people discount his BB knowledge is obsession with getting rid of Ellsbury.  He's been looking to dump him for years, and the better Ellsbury gets, the crazier Softy gets.  He has a complete inability to admit when he's wrong.
    Posted by Joebreidey

No argument from me on this, my friend.

My concern is that after the absurd contract Crawford got, how in the world will be ever be able to afford him when the time comes.  Especially with Boras as his agent.  So, perhaps thinking trade when value is high isn't such a crazy idea. The big question is when. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Crawford's contract spells the end of Ellesbury as a Red Sox player - sadly. I always rooted for Elles and want him to stay. However like Papelbon I doubt Elles cares all that much about where he plays so long as he gets Crawford dollars.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Crawford's contract spells the end of Ellesbury as a Red Sox player - sadly. I always rooted for Elles and want him to stay. However like Papelbon I doubt Elles cares all that much about where he plays so long as he gets Crawford dollars.

True, mostly. You get it. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Posted by BurritoT

Especially after all the grief he got from the press and fans about his injury.  Sadly, including me.

Sections
Shortcuts