Pin this one on Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Pin this one on Salty

The Rays scored 5 runs because Saltalamacchia failed to do his job. He should have been given an error on the missed fould pop up that led to the Ray's first run, and then beacause of his inability to get an out on the Fuld Sacrifice, the inning is extended, Zobrist bats with the bases loaded and 2 out, and hits a granny.
    This guy is hurting us behind the plate. He leads the league with 10 PB's and has 21 CWPs in only 56 games, and is mediocre at throwing out runners.
    Where they get the idea this guy can catch is beyond me.
    If Varitek catches this game, we see a whole different result with a W instead of an L IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff185. Show jeff185's posts

Re: Pin this one on Salty

salty has 10 pb's because he's behind the plate when wake pitches, he missed the popup because it hit the screen before he could get it, the sacrifice was a bad play, but he is getting better at throwing out runners and calling a good game behinde the plate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Pin this one on Salty:
    salty has 10 pb's because he's behind the plate when wake pitches, he missed the popup because it hit the screen before he could get it, the sacrifice was a bad play, but he is getting better at throwing out runners and calling a good game behinde the plate.
    Posted by jeff185

Jeff,

Ignore ALIBIKE or who ever he is. If you watch what he writes you rarely if ever see him posting anything positive. Almost every if not all posts are full of negative talk, never a compliment or anything good to say.

That being said, Salty is not an all-star behind the plate but he is a work in progress and improving with experience. Boston is a tough town to play in as fans expect a lot. Out here in Milwaukee, my new home town the Brewers do not have that winning heritsage and fans are a lot more laid back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Salty also caused 7 walks by Sox pitchers. The Red Sox pitchers wanted to throw the ball over the plate, but Salty said "no" it's better to walk everyone.

Salty also caused the grandslam. If someone asked me "how was that slam" my answer... "grand."  You see, Miller wanted to paint the black with a 98mph fastball, but Salty said "Miller why don't you hang a change up on the inner half of the plate."

My fav part of this ridiculous post was the missed pop up... bro did you watch the game? Salty would have had to scale the wall like an outfielder. Simply impossible and if you don't know that, well, go roller skating tonight rather than watching baseball.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

maybe pin this one on Francona. Why is Andrew Miller lined up to start the first game after the All-Star Game? Wakefield's career numbers are outstanding at Tropicana and not so much in Baltimore. Go with the young lefty or the proven starter with proven numbers at The Trop. Sorry, pin this on Tito for once again doing what he can to avoid starting the 45 year old knuckleballer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

5 walks by wild Miller. Yes Salty made a bad decision on the bunt to go to 2nd, but a couple of balls were scorched off Miller even for outs, a few to Ellsbury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdean. Show bigdean's posts

Regarding the foul pop that Salty missed:  the ball hit the screen so it was out of play anyway.  Satly did make a bad decision on the bunt.  Miller simply walked too many batters and did not locate when he needed to.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Obviously if you were watching the game you would know that salty is far from the problem last night..he made a bad play, ok..But not on the pop up. And come on, thats a pretty weak arguement about the passed balls..Asfar as Miller? Had to give the kid a start against a better team..Tampa always plays well against the Sox..It didnt work out and Miller owned it, ala beckett..Lester and Buch are DL. Beckett starts sunday..Wake, lackey or miller..Does it really matter? IMO, no..Any one of those guys can give up a ton of runs on any given day..On to the next...Still in 1st..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

All untrue, according to some the catcher is everything and the catcher is liable for this loss.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Posted by jeff185

The ball did not hit the screen, it was playable. Salty took a bad route and was out of position.
    To be fair however, trying to catch a pop-up looking up at that dome roof even gave Agon trouble and he was pissed about not catching it. What was cool was that after Johnson singled with new life, Agon nailed him at 3rd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Regarding the foul pop that Salty missed:  the ball hit the screen so it was out of play anyway.  Satly did make a bad decision on the bunt.  Miller simply walked too many batters and did not locate when he needed to.  
    Posted by bigdean

Not true. The ball was playable, he was just out of position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

southpaw, no, it's not just as simple as "move on." Tito had no All-Star game to worry about, time off to relax a bit and get his mind straight, work with Theo, and set up his rotation with Beckett and Clay hurting. Rather than lining things up. The far better choice would have been Miller to face Orioles, instead right out of the game, Miller. So no, I don't agree with on any given day. This wasn't. It was a stupid decision to start a guy who is not proven on the first game after an extended break against a pretty good Tampa team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

All untrue, according to some the catcher is everything and the catcher is liable for this loss.
    Posted by BurritoT

Ahhh..the great CERA debate on BDC...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Posted by jeff185

Vmart had 4 PB's in 2010 catching all year, including Wake!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am with you, it was a bad game, and you can't win them all. I on the other hand want the CERA propagandist to explain their take on this loss.

I do in part agree with dcater too... last year same time Ttio rolled out b rate players right after the all*star game.

However all things being realistic Tampa could beat your very best on any given day.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Alibi,  The reason that bunt play failed was because of the way the infield  defense  was set for the play. Youk should have held at third for the force out. Instead the both corners crash, there is no one at third for the throw and Salty is stuck with a hot rock to get rid of. He throws to 2nd. and the runner beats the throw. Who ever called the bunt defense is the one to blame or maybe Youk missed the call. Whatever happened is not on Salty, not this time anyway. Looking back on the play, Fuld missed or fouled off a bunt attempt on the previous pitch. It's not like the RS didn't know what was coming, they're trying to get 2 guys into scoring position. No reason to crash Youk on that play absolutely not. This problem is with someone else. (hint) Bubble gum, seed, Red Bull, Poland Spring.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He's still young. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Any problems he has whether real or imagined are likely a result of lack of experience.

Not all young catchers become Carlton Fisk overnight.

Frankly, I didn't know very much about him when the acquired him ( except for the long name), but I am impressed that he can become a very decent catcher in time. Already I think he is ahead of the curve, and I would credit coach Gary Tuck and Varitek for helping him out.

I think Theo did alright with this one, be patient.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

what a dopey thread. like he gave up the 5 walks and bag full of balls that werte creamed off Miller. Morre than ever today Miller looked very mediocre. Could be a decent 4-5 started IMO. Thats prbably better the Lackey will be or Dice K ever was.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Pin this one on Salty : Vmart had 4 PB's in 2010 catching all year, including Wake!
    Posted by Alibiike

Martinez may have been too conscious about preventing passed balls.  He was so focused on keeping the ball in front of him that he was not in a position to make a thrown, and runners knew it.  Martinez caught 4 runners stealing, out of 21 when Wakefield was pitching.  Salty has caught 3 of 7.  That more than negates a handful of passed balls.  All in all, I think we're better with Salty defensively, and there is still potential for improvement.

Offensively, I'd rather have VMart, but given the makeup of this team, he could only be in the lineup on days he caught, without displacing Gonzalez or Ortiz.    For what the teams needs & can afford, it's hard to be disappointed in Salty.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Pin this one on Salty : Vmart had 4 PB's in 2010 catching all year, including Wake!
    Posted by Alibiike

Don't you know it has already been proven, by the "board numbers guys", that V-Mart was a giant liability behind the plate ?? Along with his "Lousy Numbers" for a 1st baseman and DH ?? Not to mention he wanted to much money and to many years !! LOL  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Gee AL, you LOL so much, you must be the life of a party!
    Salty is a work in progress.
    That means at the plate, in the field and with the pitchers.

VMART is an expensive DH.
    Nobody else was willing to sign him in a catching capacity.
    Wonder why?

Sections
Shortcuts