Pineda having labral surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Pineda having labral surgery

Pack your bags Brian Cashman.

Michael Pineda has been diagnosed with a right anterior labral tear and will have surgery next Tuesday, May 1.

Brian Cashman is going to host a conference call to give more details. Obviously this is bad news for the Yankees and their new young starter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Pineda having labral surgery

OMG!  WHAT IS UP WITH THE YANKEE MEDICAL TEAM?!?!?!  jk

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Labral tear???  I thought that's what women got when they gave birth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Pineda having labral surgery:
    [QUOTE]Pack your bags Brian Cashman. Michael Pineda has been diagnosed with a right anterior labral tear and will have surgery next Tuesday, May 1. Brian Cashman is going to host a conference call to give more details. Obviously this is bad news for the Yankees and their new young starter.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Gee I hope so; they just didn't perform due diligence on this guy, not that I ever would have traded Montero to begin with. Of all of Casman's flubs, this could be the biggest. Think of Lou Brock, Frank Robinson, Nolan Ryan, & Herschel Walker, amongst others.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I know I said he wasn't going to live up to the hype, but wow.  I was only talking about his numbers away from Safeco, I figured he'd at least be good for 30 starts still.  Liking that trade more and more every day.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery :
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Well I suppose it could be worse.

Our 20 million per year Leftfielder could be headed to see Dr. Andrews because his elbow still hurts

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pineda having labral surgery : Gee I hope so; they just didn't perform due diligence on this guy, not that I ever would have traded Montero to begin with. Of all of Casman's flubs, this could be the biggest. Think of Lou Brock, Frank Robinson, Nolan Ryan, & Herschel Walker, amongst others.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I used to be a Cashman supporter. This trade I didn't like.

Just too much of a risk with a pitcher that young.

Yeah there is no way to spin this. This is bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Media creations??

Wang, decreased velocity in ST.   "Oh he will be fine velocity aint important."

Hughes, decreased velocity in ST.  "Who cares, wait til the games matter."

Pineda, decreased velocity in ST.  "This is only a topic b/c of Yankee haters."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sorry to hear it.I hate to see anyone miss time due to injuries.
    From ESPN.com:

New York Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda will miss the entire 2012 season due to a right shoulder anterior labral tear.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7855551/new-york-yankees-michael-pineda-2012-shoulder-injury

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]Media creations?? Wang, decreased velocity in ST.   "Oh he will be fine velocity aint important." Hughes, decreased velocity in ST.  "Who cares, wait til the games matter." Pineda, decreased velocity in ST.  "This is only a topic b/c of the Yankee haters."
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

You seem to have a problem understanding that Wang's problem was the loss of the effectiveness of his sinker after the foot injury not velocity.

But I guess in order to make whatever point you are trying to make you need to make a leap to get there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery : Well I suppose it could be worse. Our 20 million per year Leftfielder could be headed to see Dr. Andrews because his elbow still hurts

Nah, that's not worse, is it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery : Nah, that's not worse, is it?
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Not if you have a leftfielder who can put up the numbers you would expect from Crawford.

On the other hand the sting of losing Montero will be long lasting.

In either case the scenario not so good.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

by STEVE SCIACCO on MARCH 31, 2012

For those of you who were unconcerned about Pineda’s velocity before last night, it’s worth noting the GM didn’t feel the same way. After what happened with Phil Hughes last year and Chien Ming Wang in 2009, both of whom showed diminished velocity in camp that led to disastrous April performances and subsequent injury diagnosis, to be unconcerned is to ignore the recent past. Some folks chalk these stories up to anti-Yankee bias, don’t like the reporters who are pushing them, or think it’s just an annual meme that fills up space during slow news days in camp. For the 3rd time in the past 4 years, that take has proven to be wrong.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Wang's velocity was "somewhere in the low 90s," Contreras said. Wang has thrown his sinker as fast as 95 miles-per-hour, so it is still not where the Yankees want it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Mariners got a middle-of-the-order stick for ten years and Yankees got this?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery : Not if you have a leftfielder who can put up the numbers you would expect from Crawford. On the other hand the sting of losing Montero will be long lasting. In either case the scenario not so good.

Agreed.  What I meant was that the actual damage to Pineda plus the loss of Montero is worse than a delay to Crawford's recovery.

I find it hard to believe that Pineda's poor finish to 2011 and his current injury are unrelated.  If so, how could that slip through the radar when the cost was one of baseball's top prospects?  Incredible if not a coincidence.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]by   STEVE SCIACCO   on   MARCH 31, 2012 For those of you who were unconcerned about Pineda’s velocity before last night, it’s worth noting the GM didn’t feel the same way. After what happened with Phil Hughes last year and Chien Ming Wang in 2009, both of whom showed diminished velocity in camp that led to disastrous April performances and subsequent injury diagnosis, to be unconcerned is to ignore the recent past. Some folks chalk these stories up to anti-Yankee bias, don’t like the reporters who are pushing them, or think it’s just an annual meme that fills up space during slow news days in camp. For the 3rd time in the past 4 years, that take has proven to be wrong.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Look Tom go find whatever you like on the web to support your contention which is false.

Wang is no longer with the Yankees because he lost the effectiveness of his sinker not because he lost control of his velocity. He wasn't a power pitcher, his bread butter was his sinker.

If you wrote that Joba lost velocity in camp that would be true.

Telling a Yankee fan who watches every Yankee game why Wang was no longer an effective pitcher was because of loss of velocity is funny.

Wang injured his should trying to get more motion on his sinker, not velocity.

But if that's what you want to believe be my guest.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]Wang's velocity was "somewhere in the low 90s," Contreras said. Wang has thrown his sinker as fast as 95 miles-per-hour, so it is still not where the Yankees want it. BY ANTHONY MCCARRON DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER Thursday, April 23, 2009
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Go google why/how Wang injured his shoulder while with the Yankees while you're at it. Because obviously you don't watch Yankee games.

Wang was losing because his sinker wasn't sinking it was hanging up in the strike zone, he was getting hammered, pounded because of it.

The Yankees kept giving him starts despite that problem because he insisted between games he had corrected his sinker. I remember all this like it was yesterday.

Wang got very few Ks, most of his outs from ground balls to his infielders. That was his game.

And how would I know? Because I watch all the Yankee games, with my own eyes I watched it happen.

I do not need to google it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery : Look Tom go find whatever you like on the web to support your contention which is false. Wang is no longer with the Yankees because he lost the effectiveness of his sinker not because he lost control of his velocity. He wasn't a power pitcher, his bread butter was his sinker. If you wrote that Joba lost velocity in camp that would be true.   Telling a Yankee fan who watches every Yankee game why Wang was no longer an effective pitcher was because of loss of velocity is funny. Wang injured his should trying to get more motion on his sinker, not velocity. But if that's what you want to believe be my guest.

TWM admit you're wrong like a man!  Oh I didn't realize you watch every NYY game, that puts you at a level of knowledge few reach.  You should write a book.  Do you watch more Yankee games than Cashman?  Thanks for the laugh.  

NEW YORK -- Throughout his struggles, Chien-Ming Wang has maintained that he's perfectly healthy. Yankees manager Joe Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman have done the same. But Cashman admits that Wang has exhibited the red flags that come with injury.

"As of right now, we have no reason to believe he's not healthy," Cashman said. "But I've been down that road too before. So, we're looking at everything else right now but health. But at the same his velocity is down, and his command is off, and those are two indicators also sometimes. So, we'll keep looking at it."

Said Cashman: "When somebody struggles to this degree, you always wonder about health."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I heard they found a Mariners branded self-destruct chip in Pineda's shoulder.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pineda having labral surgery : TWM admit you're wrong like a man!  Oh I didn't realize you watch every NYY game, that puts you at a level of knowledge few reach.  You should write a book.  Do you watch more Yankee games than Cashman?  Thanks for the laugh.   http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2009/04/cashman_on_wang_when_somebody.html NEW YORK -- Throughout his struggles, Chien-Ming Wang has maintained that he's perfectly healthy. Yankees manager Joe Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman have done the same. But Cashman admits that Wang has exhibited the red flags that come with injury. "As of right now, we have no reason to believe he's not healthy," Cashman said. "But I've been down that road too before. So, we're looking at everything else right now but health. But at the same his velocity is down, and his command is off, and those are two indicators also sometimes. So, we'll keep looking at it." Said Cashman: "When somebody struggles to this degree, you always wonder about health."
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

You would be best to sticking with what you know like the Red Sox.

You are being obstinate.

Any teenage Yankee fan knows the problems that destroyed Wang's career with the Yankees and it was the loss of his sinker.

The articles you provide also talk about his loss of control but you chose to make an issue out of velocity.

He changed his arm angle to improve his sinker that is how he injured his shoulder.

You seem to put so much stock into the web here from Wikipedia:

2009 season

On April 3, 2009, Wang became the first Yankees' starting and the first game winning pitcher of the new Yankee Stadium in the stadium opener exhibition game against Chicago Cubs. After the Cleveland Indians beat the Yankees 22–4 on April 18, manager Joe Girardi said, "We have some time. We have a day off, I think Thursday, and we're going to have to decide what's best for Chien-Ming Wang and the team."[14] Through April 18, Wang was 0–3 with a 34.50 ERA.

There was speculation that the right foot injury Wang sustained during the 2008 season caused him to compensate with the rest of his pitching motion, leading to his 2009 struggles. MLB Tonight discussed the differences between Wang's mechanics in early 2008 (before he was injured) and his mechanics during the Cleveland game on April 18. On April 22, General Manager Brian Cashman, at a Q&A at Southern Connecticut State University, confirmed Wang's release point was 5 inches higher than the same time the previous season.[15]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Hey Tom

How is Jamie Moyer's velocity?

His sinker usually comes in at about 78 mph.

Sections
Shortcuts