Pink Hat vs. Pollyanna

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Pink Hat vs. Pollyanna

IMO the term 'Pink Hat' has come to be tossed around too loosely and in fact is misunderstood and misused by some of the posters here.  It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but my understanding of the term 'Pink Hat' is that it refers to the bandwagon fans who jumped on board with the Red Sox in 2004, or after 2004, when it became cool to be a Sox fan.  I think it especially refers to fans who knew little about baseball or the history of the Sox, and who wanted to be in Fenway because it was a happening place.  The type who would be grinning and singing 'Sweet Caroline' even if the Sox were losing by 5 runs.  And of course the type who would think a pink Red Sox hat looked good on them, or their girlfriend.

Presumably, most or all of these 'Pink Hats' have deserted the team by now.

A 'Pollyanna' fan is something completely different.  A Pollyanna is a fan who tries to look on the bright side of things most of the time.  They don't wear a pink hat but they might be accused of wearing rose-colored glasses.

As opposed to a Pink Hat, though, a Pollyanna can be a long-term, loyal Red Sox fan who knows all the history and has suffered, but is just positive by nature.

I'm much more of a Pollyanna since the Sox won the Series twice.  I've been with the team since 1969, and until 2004 my dream was to see them win it once, and it was starting to look like it might not happen in my lifetime.  So that changed my whole perspective.

I don't mind being called a Pollyanna, but to me it's a huge insult, and dead wrong, to call me a Pink Hat.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Pink Hat vs. Pollyanna

1-I think it is perfectly acceptable to be a big fan with little knowledge.  It is not acceptable to be highly opinionated with little knowledge.

2-I think Sweet Caroline should be encouraged, especially when we lose.  Going to the park, and enjoying yourself ONLY when we win, is kind of counter-intuitive.  Just fo to the park and have a good time no matter what.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Good post, Bob. Count me in the Pollyanna category, also. Like you, I too just wanted to see them win, once. Twice was too much to ask for. Many of our generations before us, never did.  Living on the fault line in CT,  a Yankee fan asked me if I wished I had been raised a Yankee fan. I thought about it and honestly answered, no. Being raised Red Sox fans taught us more than ballsand strikes. It took commitment, strength and perservance. We all made up Red Sox Nation, before it was part of being a card carrying member. We were the lovable losers, we'll get them next time, wait until next year. It all changed in 2004, but I still carry some of those old feelings of doubts and fears. It comes with being a lifelong Sox fan

You may glory in a team triumphant......
    But you fall in love with a team in defeat

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

IMO the term 'Pink Hat' has come to be tossed around too loosely and in fact is misunderstood and misused by some of the posters here.  It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but my understanding of the term 'Pink Hat' is that it refers to the bandwagon fans who jumped on board with the Red Sox in 2004, or after 2004, when it became cool to be a Sox fan.  I think it especially refers to fans who knew little about baseball or the history of the Sox, and who wanted to be in Fenway because it was a happening place.  The type who would be grinning and singing 'Sweet Caroline' even if the Sox were losing by 5 runs.  And of course the type who would think a pink Red Sox hat looked good on them, or their girlfriend.

A 'Pollyanna' fan is something completely different.  A Pollyanna is a fan who tries to look on the bright side of things most of the time.  They don't wear a pink hat but they might be accused of wearing rose-colored glasses.

As opposed to a Pink Hat, though, a Pollyanna can be a long-term, loyal Red Sox fan who knows all the history and has suffered, but is just positive by nature.

I'm much more of a Pollyanna since the Sox won the Series twice.  I've been with the team since 1969, and until 2004 my dream was to see them win it once, and it was starting to look like it might not happen in my lifetime.  So that changed my whole perspective.

I don't mind being called a Pollyanna, but to me it's a huge insult, and dead wrong, to call me a Pink Hat.  

Nice post. I also fall in the pollyana category. Better to be a glass half-full than half-empty person. So of course having that attitude has got me accused of wearing "rose colored"glasses which is silly, I just choose to be more positive than negative. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Here is how the Merriam Webser dictionary defines "Pollyanna":

: a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything

While there is nothing wrong with this approach as it relates to a sports team there is also room for realism as well. For example, a true Pollyanna might somehow believe that things worked out just fine with the Hanrahan acquisition (remember: true Pollyanna tends to find good in EVERYTHING), a realist would say it was a horrible signing. If being a Pollyanna works for you, go for it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Have you noticed the Pink Hat term has some what disappeared from this forum this year. I believe you are right that many have disappeared.

I also believe many who called us Pollyannas never understood the stats and trends in how a baseball season goes at all levels.

Love the Red Sox and enjoy the ride every year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Here Bob...I made one for you too:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is a forum for expressing your ideas and opinions on the Red Sox.  One should be able to state them , both pro and con , without being labeled " pink hat " ," pollyana "  or anything else.  In life , there will always be optimists , pessimists and realists.  We are all right sometimes and wrong sometimes. Nothing wrong with a good debate.

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

: a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything

While there is nothing wrong with this approach as it relates to a sports team there is also room for realism as well. For example, a true Pollyanna might somehow believe that things worked out just fine with the Hanrahan acquisition (remember: true Pollyanna tends to find good in EVERYTHING), a realist would say it was a horrible signing. If being a Pollyanna works for you, go for it.

I don't agree with every move the Front Office makes, but I also try to understand why they make a certain move.  I "understand" why they traded for Hanrahan, as you can never have enough bullpen depth, there were question marks surrounding Bailey and they didn't give up anyone that figured into future plans. He got injured, it backfired, so it ends up being a trade that didn't work out, but I understand why they did it.  To call it a "horrible" trade is a not seeing the big picture at all...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Or perhaps a realist would arrive at the conclusion that it was a good trade, that didn't work out due to the unexpected season ending injury?..an injury that was not one of the chronic variety and as such falls under the heading of part of the risk inherent with the position. If they made the trade, knowing that he had elbow issues then it falls under the heading of idiocy. kind of like the Lackey signing by the former Gm.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's a blue hat, and I have two, home and office.  I lean toward optimism, but it is based on the facts. The Sox are in it almost every year, and this year has been a big and pleasant surprise.  I think Farrell has done a terrific job and am regularly amazed at the unrelenting criticism directed at him from OTFB.  

One contributor points out the Sox great failing is they have never been able to play 1.000 ball?  So every loss encourages the naysayers to go after the players, manager, and GM.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Not sure why it's important to classify fans based on when they chose to root for the team and like it or not without the pink hats, the franchise and for that matter MLB would be a second city sport.  pink hat = casual fan, every team in the game markets to the casual fan, knowing that it is their dollars that make the wheel go around. Do you think a true baseball junkie goes to the park to see the mascots...or a race between bratwurst? 

The way I see it this, you're a knowledgable fan of the game. One of many that visit this site...there are many amount us that are in fact fans of the Red Sox, that lack a true understanding of the game. While some in fact come to this site daily, offering their views with the sole purpose of trying to incite. I myself am a fan of the game that roots for the Red Sox...I'll leave how I am classified to those that wish to waste their time on such drivel. 

Hlfx, like it or not there will always be a large contingent of doom and gloomers among us, unfortunate side effect of 86 years of futility that's been bred into generations of fans and it is this group that spends most of their time trying to police this site and try's to paint those that don't buy into thier woes as pollyanna's and pink hats. End of the day, I take joy in them continuing to wallow in the myre and allow themselves to be led down the road to ruin by the pied piper Dan shaunessy and his merry men....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

well done Hfxsoxnut

I just wanted to add that he was also comparing them with those

some with big pink hats that would only show up

in church on holidays while taking the seats away from the

more committed

rose colored glasses....HA

no such thing as pinstripe glasses in yankeeland

no pollyannas

ONLY REALIST

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Count me as a proud member of the pollyanna platoon. Smile

Mandolin player and reluctant admirer of the New York Yankees

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

IRT Pollyanna, imo, this is not like a job, or helping the local school because your kid goes there.  There is no inherent obligation to root for a team.  I think part of being a fanatic almost requires being  pollyanna.  I don't understand the people that criticize Sweet Caroline, or Truck Day, or the rest of the silliness.  The entire process is meant to be silly, and almost unexplainable.

I had a party, sometime after 2004.  The boys got on the subject of the RS, and I asked one of my die-hard NYY fan why he never called me to congratualte me.  He said, calmly, I thought about calling you, but decided (and a much more agitated voice) that maybe I'd tell you to go f' yourself and f' the RS, and with that, went on a 5-minute good-natured rant.  The boys were laughing so hard they were spitting beer through their noses.

That's the way this is supposed to work.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am the more rare version of fan.

The "Black Hat"

The glass is not half-empty or even empty. The glass is broken and the juice has run all over the floor making a colossal mess that no one but me will even think about cleaning up.

This is the hat of the cynic. The fan who believes that the worst case scemerio is inevitable. Hall of Famer Yastrzemski will be up at bat in a one game playoff against the Yankees in the 9th with two outs and he will pop-up....meanwhile the winning homer is hit by Bucky Dent....that was the worst case scenerio. The best pitcher your farm system has ever produced will leave your team, end up with  the Yankees and win a ring. The greatest catcher you farm systen has ever produced will have differences with the front office, and end up playing most of his career in Chicago. The greatest centerfielder your farn tean has ever produced will win ROY and MVP in his first season and go downhill from there due to running into the centerfield wall too often. The most lovable of the 'idiots' will end up being known as Johnny Demon and play for the hated Yankees. Some guy who was the all time HR leader for a long time will get sold to the Yankees and become a legend.

These are the 'worst cas scenerio' events that make a Red Sox fan a cynic.....that , and listening to too much Sex Pistols and Ozzy Osbourne.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Gee thanks, you S.O.B. Zillzgod.

The awful memories of Burleson and Hobson on first and third, with Yaz popping up to behind third.......

The absolute gut-punching SHOCK as Dent's apparently lazy fly ball kept going and going and eventually settling into the net.......

Jackson's blast.....

Somehow that game just seems worse in memory than Boone's tater off Wake, or Mookie Wilson scoring over Gedman.....

Guess I hadn't really blocked it out as well as had hoped I had.

Although in larger sense of tragedies, even Tony Conigliaro's horrific beaning shrinks in significance compared to the victims of Patriot's Day bombing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Here Bob...I made one for you too: 

That's very thoughtful...but not a pink one, dammit!

Some people you just can't reach... Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Not sure why it's important to classify fans based on when they chose to root for the team and like it or not without the pink hats, the franchise and for that matter MLB would be a second city sport.  pink hat = casual fan, every team in the game markets to the casual fan, knowing that it is their dollars that make the wheel go around. Do you think a true baseball junkie goes to the park to see the mascots...or a race between bratwurst? 

The way I see it this, you're a knowledgable fan of the game. One of many that visit this site...there are many amount us that are in fact fans of the Red Sox, that lack a true understanding of the game. While some in fact come to this site daily, offering their views with the sole purpose of trying to incite. I myself am a fan of the game that roots for the Red Sox...I'll leave how I am classified to those that wish to waste their time on such drivel. 

Hlfx, like it or not there will always be a large contingent of doom and gloomers among us, unfortunate side effect of 86 years of futility that's been bred into generations of fans and it is this group that spends most of their time trying to police this site and try's to paint those that don't buy into thier woes as pollyanna's and pink hats. End of the day, I take joy in them continuing to wallow in the myre and allow themselves to be led down the road to ruin by the pied piper Dan shaunessy and his merry men....

The profit margin in every sport depends largely on attracting the casual fan. The term " pink hat"  is usually used in a pejorative way to denote a fair weather fan. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I'm a realist, I guess I inherited my dad's perspective.  He loved the sox and all boston teams but he wasn't a demonstrative fan.  I guess you could say he was a serious fan LOL!

I love to have fun at the park, sweet caroline included.  I don't like stupid jumbotron games, mascots and loud rock music. I have to suffer living with these at camden yards. Give me the organ any day ;0)

I'm not a pollyanna, I call a spade a spade but I enjoy the game.  Everyone watches the game from a different place and that's fine.

If pink hatters had fun at the park that's fine.  Life's short, if they created some fun memories for themselves good for them.

What I don't like is when someone gives their honest opinion about a player, trade. etc. then another poster jumps down his throat. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Call me Human.  I'm happy when we win and *issed when we lose.

I think Kool- Aid drinker is more widely used and a better term then Pollyanna.  Pollyanna just seem like a 1950's term.  Hell, I’m pretty certain I never used that word the entire 48 years I’ve been on this earth or even heard it used in a conversation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This is a forum for expressing your ideas and opinions on the Red Sox.  One should be able to state them , both pro and con , without being labeled " pink hat " ," pollyana "  or anything else.  In life , there will always be optimists , pessimists and realists.  We are all right sometimes and wrong sometimes. Nothing wrong with a good debate.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Yes. I never cared for the "hater" "basher" labels that get tossed about in here. 

That's because your are one of the good guys!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Im neither. I did start paying attention to the Sox in 2003, and have followed them since. But I also dont fit the description of a true Pink Hat because as most of you know, Im a hard core Pedroia-like baseball fan, couldnt care less about Sweet Caroline, and didnt stop watching the games or posting on here even during the tough times the past few years. Dont know what that makes me, because Im also somewhat negative and cynical by nature--not a Pollyanna. I follow the Reds also, have all my life. Tough to follow two teams, but I think I do it pretty well. But be that as it may, the natural cynicism I have always had towards the Reds has fit in perfectly with RSN. In fact, Id say it fits BETTER here, as you all know and understand.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"For example, a true Pollyanna might somehow believe that things worked out just fine with the Hanrahan acquisition (remember: true Pollyanna tends to find good in EVERYTHING), a realist would say it was a horrible signing. If being a Pollyanna works for you, go for it."

I'm going to take issue with that. A realist means someone with a good grasp on reality. Someone with a good grasp on baseball reality would be inclined not to condemn most trades as horrible because a realist understands that in baseball, you have to make some moves and not all of them work out. If you insist that every signing must be a good one and condemn with 20/20 hindsight any that don't work out then you are not a realist, you are a fool or an idiot. The same would be true if, for example, you wrote off the season one month in even when they were not far out of first place. That's not realism, I'm not sure what it is, maybe a form of cowardice or perhaps a form of emotional self-protectionism. Protection against fear of disappointment maybe. Not realism. A realist would understand when you are a game or two out of first place you have a good shot at a solid season. 

In my view no one on this forum deserve to be called a pink hat, if you're a pink hat you won't even find this forum and figure out how to post in it. Pollyanna, sure, if you want to have boundless optimism about your team that's good by me. The only Polyannas I take issue with are those who can't tolerate criticism because there are always things to criticize and discuss. To me it's a diversity of those viewpoints that make a forum like this worthwhile. 

I can tell who cares about the team and virtually all who post here do, including everyone on this thread. How they express their connection to the team is another matter. :)

Sections
Shortcuts