Pink Hat vs. Pollyanna

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: Pink Hat vs. Pollyanna

I believe the Pollyanna thing started this year when I basically coined the term in reference to the original movie of the irrepressible optimist. Moon was pretty down on our chances this year and I was stating how we did have a chance because it was possible the starters could be better this year...Lackey being healthy, Buchholz and Lester having a chance to be good again. Dempster and Doubront not that bad and we had a decent offense.

I knew most people in baseball were counting the Sox out but I didn't care. I thought we had a shot this year and just said call me a Pollyanna but we have a shot! 

Critter joined in to the Pollyanna thing and it kind of has been a small banter for a while. And it turned out to be true so far. 

Why be preoccupied with the negative when you root for a team? If the team has no shot then fine, focus on what will help it going forward but the team did have a chance to succeed. And it is succeeding. The original Pollyanna found a way to make everyone in the city change their attitudes and that was key to their happiness. I'd prefer to take the same approach if it is at all realistic and it was last winter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I am the more rare version of fan.

The "Black Hat"

The glass is not half-empty or even empty. The glass is broken and the juice has run all over the floor making a colossal mess that no one but me will even think about cleaning up.

This is the hat of the cynic. The fan who believes that the worst case scemerio is inevitable. Hall of Famer Yastrzemski will be up at bat in a one game playoff against the Yankees in the 9th with two outs and he will pop-up....meanwhile the winning homer is hit by Bucky Dent....that was the worst case scenerio. The best pitcher your farm system has ever produced will leave your team, end up with  the Yankees and win a ring. The greatest catcher you farm systen has ever produced will have differences with the front office, and end up playing most of his career in Chicago. The greatest centerfielder your farn tean has ever produced will win ROY and MVP in his first season and go downhill from there due to running into the centerfield wall too often. The most lovable of the 'idiots' will end up being known as Johnny Demon and play for the hated Yankees. Some guy who was the all time HR leader for a long time will get sold to the Yankees and become a legend.

These are the 'worst cas scenerio' events that make a Red Sox fan a cynic.....that , and listening to too much Sex Pistols and Ozzy Osbourne.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

That's exactly why 2004 was so special.  A Dave Roberts's steal, and the axis of the Earth shifted. You may revel in the loser or victim identity if you want, but a band of Idiots wasn't buying it.  I'm a Red Sox fan, probably around your age, who lived it and can recite the same litany of Jim Burton, Bucky Dent, Buckner, Aaron Boone, etc., but if you can't let go of that identity after perhaps the most amazing and dramatic comeback in sports history, than you probably never will.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I don't know Red, ...every time I see Aaron Boone on TV I want to hit him!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

This is a forum for expressing your ideas and opinions on the Red Sox.  One should be able to state them , both pro and con , without being labeled " pink hat " ," pollyana "  or anything else.  In life , there will always be optimists , pessimists and realists.  We are all right sometimes and wrong sometimes. Nothing wrong with a good debate.

Stabbed by Foulke.

Pessimist. Isn't that just what an optomist calls a realist? :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

I don't know Red, ...every time I see Aaron Boone on TV I want to hit him!

Let it go!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

IMO the term 'Pink Hat' has come to be tossed around too loosely and in fact is misunderstood and misused by some of the posters here.  It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but my understanding of the term 'Pink Hat' is that it refers to the bandwagon fans who jumped on board with the Red Sox in 2004, or after 2004, when it became cool to be a Sox fan.  I think it especially refers to fans who knew little about baseball or the history of the Sox, and who wanted to be in Fenway because it was a happening place.  The type who would be grinning and singing 'Sweet Caroline' even if the Sox were losing by 5 runs.  And of course the type who would think a pink Red Sox hat looked good on them, or their girlfriend.

Presumably, most or all of these 'Pink Hats' have deserted the team by now.

A 'Pollyanna' fan is something completely different.  A Pollyanna is a fan who tries to look on the bright side of things most of the time.  They don't wear a pink hat but they might be accused of wearing rose-colored glasses.

As opposed to a Pink Hat, though, a Pollyanna can be a long-term, loyal Red Sox fan who knows all the history and has suffered, but is just positive by nature.

I'm much more of a Pollyanna since the Sox won the Series twice.  I've been with the team since 1969, and until 2004 my dream was to see them win it once, and it was starting to look like it might not happen in my lifetime.  So that changed my whole perspective.

I don't mind being called a Pollyanna, but to me it's a huge insult, and dead wrong, to call me a Pink Hat.  

Here is how the Merriam Webser dictionary defines "Pollyanna":

: a person characterized by irrepressible optimism and a tendency to find good in everything

While there is nothing wrong with this approach as it relates to a sports team there is also room for realism as well. For example, a true Pollyanna might somehow believe that things worked out just fine with the Hanrahan acquisition (remember: true Pollyanna tends to find good in EVERYTHING), a realist would say it was a horrible signing. If being a Pollyanna works for you, go for it.

I don't agree with every move the Front Office makes, but I also try to understand why they make a certain move.  I "understand" why they traded for Hanrahan, as you can never have enough bullpen depth, there were question marks surrounding Bailey and they didn't give up anyone that figured into future plans. He got injured, it backfired, so it ends up being a trade that didn't work out, but I understand why they did it.  To call it a "horrible" trade is a not seeing the big picture at all...

This is why we seem agree on just about everything jasko. I try and understand why the deal/move was made at the time. If it doesnt turn out good it doesnt always mean it was a bad move. Thats just baseball. I dont agree with everything they do, but Im considered a "pollyanna" by some because I try to see the big picture and understand the reason why they did what they did. It may appear that I agree with the move, when sometimes its just that I understand it.

Like the Drew signing. Iggy showed nothing remotely close to deserving the starting SS job in 2013. Baseball isnt just about defense. I also understood overpaying for a 1yr deal to get Drew. Iggy has started to earn more playing time and deserves it now. I dont think any player should just get handed something when they havent proved anything yet. I have wondered if WMB had some competition this year that he might not be where hes at right now.

I understood the Hanny deal too, although I didnt like it. We didnt lose prospects that we had in future plans and freed up valuable 40-man roster spots at the same time.

I dont always agree with every move, but still try to take a balanced approach. Not overreact and make impulse remarks. I think I have more patience than some here and realize that baseball is one of the toughest sports to have great success in consistently. I understand the game very well and have had discussions with many players, coaches/managers and GM's to have a good idea of how they go about things. I also try and be as realistic as possible. If thats a pollyanna, then so be it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

IMO the term 'Pink Hat' has come to be tossed around too loosely and in fact is misunderstood and misused by some of the posters here.  It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

I'm willing to be corrected on this, but my understanding of the term 'Pink Hat' is that it refers to the bandwagon fans who jumped on board with the Red Sox in 2004, or after 2004, when it became cool to be a Sox fan.  I think it especially refers to fans who knew little about baseball or the history of the Sox, and who wanted to be in Fenway because it was a happening place.  The type who would be grinning and singing 'Sweet Caroline' even if the Sox were losing by 5 runs.  And of course the type who would think a pink Red Sox hat looked good on them, or their girlfriend.

Presumably, most or all of these 'Pink Hats' have deserted the team by now.

A 'Pollyanna' fan is something completely different.  A Pollyanna is a fan who tries to look on the bright side of things most of the time.  They don't wear a pink hat but they might be accused of wearing rose-colored glasses.

As opposed to a Pink Hat, though, a Pollyanna can be a long-term, loyal Red Sox fan who knows all the history and has suffered, but is just positive by nature.

I'm much more of a Pollyanna since the Sox won the Series twice.  I've been with the team since 1969, and until 2004 my dream was to see them win it once, and it was starting to look like it might not happen in my lifetime.  So that changed my whole perspective.

I don't mind being called a Pollyanna, but to me it's a huge insult, and dead wrong, to call me a Pink Hat.  

Not sure why it's important to classify fans based on when they chose to root for the team and like it or not without the pink hats, the franchise and for that matter MLB would be a second city sport.  pink hat = casual fan, every team in the game markets to the casual fan, knowing that it is their dollars that make the wheel go around. Do you think a true baseball junkie goes to the park to see the mascots...or a race between bratwurst? 

The way I see it this, you're a knowledgable fan of the game. One of many that visit this site...there are many amount us that are in fact fans of the Red Sox, that lack a true understanding of the game. While some in fact come to this site daily, offering their views with the sole purpose of trying to incite. I myself am a fan of the game that roots for the Red Sox...I'll leave how I am classified to those that wish to waste their time on such drivel. 

Hlfx, like it or not there will always be a large contingent of doom and gloomers among us, unfortunate side effect of 86 years of futility that's been bred into generations of fans and it is this group that spends most of their time trying to police this site and try's to paint those that don't buy into thier woes as pollyanna's and pink hats. End of the day, I take joy in them continuing to wallow in the myre and allow themselves to be led down the road to ruin by the pied piper Dan shaunessy and his merry men....

You are being short sighted, narrow minded and possibly showing signs of bigotry here. Those races are between bratwurst, knockwurst, sausage and frankfurters. A small distinction for you, perhaps, but to them it means all the difference in the world.

Call me what you want and pass the mustard, please.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I'm a realist, I guess I inherited my dad's perspective.  He loved the sox and all boston teams but he wasn't a demonstrative fan.  I guess you could say he was a serious fan LOL!

I love to have fun at the park, sweet caroline included.  I don't like stupid jumbotron games, mascots and loud rock music. I have to suffer living with these at camden yards. Give me the organ any day ;0)

I'm not a pollyanna, I call a spade a spade but I enjoy the game.  Everyone watches the game from a different place and that's fine.

If pink hatters had fun at the park that's fine.  Life's short, if they created some fun memories for themselves good for them.

What I don't like is when someone gives their honest opinion about a player, trade. etc. then another poster jumps down his throat. 

The pink hats are mostly gone and good riddance to those bandwagon jumpers.  However, I am not a pollyanna, nor am I a realist.  I consider myself a Jacobin as some of us were known on another board before the pollyannas left for their own site.  I became a Red Sox fan in August of 2000 and didn't go through the crapola some many long suffering fans went tbrough.  I came on when the Sox were ready to make their move, with the disastrous finish to the '01 season an irritating exception.  I expect the Red Sox to contend EVERY YEAR---EVERY DA@N year.  If the Yankees can do it so can we, and I don't accept the excuses that we have to watch our pennies.  Our owners are rich, they have a team in a big market with the best fans in baseball and with that kind of finances they ought to hire the best scouts and coaches they can.  We should take a back seat to no one when it comes to minor league instructors either.  WE ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN...PERIOD!!!!!  I'm sure that upsets some people here but tough tacos.  Last year was disgusting, the last month of September was a total choke and tank job.  That kind of crapola should be  good for some o ther teams, not us.  We can't win every year but we should be able to contend every year, pure and simple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

'Pink hat' is/was used like 'hipster'.  No real definition.  Just a broad stroke vague insult that carries weight by title, if not substance.

FWIW, I think there is another category other those outlined in this thread:  

Real-life-realist/baseball-funster

This is me.  My life is filled with all the struggles associated with being human on this planet Earth.  I come to the Red Sox, and baseball, as a place to let go of the struggles and enjoy myself.  Now, loving a baseball team as we do the Red Sox, is filled with enough heartbreak and upset in and of itself (no one likes losing).  So, I will be dammed if I am going weep and moan about it, wax negative on a discussion forum all day long, complain, and generally stir up bad vibes.  Baseball is good vibes for me.  A day at the ballpark (particularly Fenway), win or lose, is the best kind of day (of course, better when the Sox win).  As a real-life-realist, I put Red Sox Love into the column of Joyful Pursuits to Balance the Grind.  I am not pollyana (rose-colored-glasses) about the Red Sox.  I just choose to be hopeful because that is more joyful, even when those hopes are dashed, than being cynical.  I choose to support rather than disparage the club because that is less burden on my soul.  I am a realist.  That is why I don't get too caught up in being negative about a voluntary past-time.  

Pollyanna Pinkhat Left/Soc/Rad/Moonbat 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to klaus1954's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

'Pink hat' is/was used like 'hipster'.  No real definition.  Just a broad stroke vague insult that carries weight by title, if not substance.

FWIW, I think there is another category other those outlined in this thread:  

Real-life-realist/baseball-funster

This is me.  My life is filled with all the struggles associated with being human on this planet Earth.  I come to the Red Sox, and baseball, as a place to let go of the struggles and enjoy myself.  Now, loving a baseball team as we do the Red Sox, is filled with enough heartbreak and upset in and of itself (no one likes losing).  So, I will be dammed if I am going weep and moan about it, wax negative on a discussion forum all day long, complain, and generally stir up bad vibes.  Baseball is good vibes for me.  A day at the ballpark (particularly Fenway), win or lose, is the best kind of day (of course, better when the Sox win).  As a real-life-realist, I put Red Sox Love into the column of Joyful Pursuits to Balance the Grind.  I am not pollyana (rose-colored-glasses) about the Red Sox.  I just choose to be hopeful because that is more joyful, even when those hopes are dashed, than being cynical.  I choose to support rather than disparage the club because that is less burden on my soul.  I am a realist.  That is why I don't get too caught up in being negative about a voluntary past-time.  

Pollyanna Pinkhat Left/Soc/Rad/Moonbat 

Great post Spaceman. Even if I was cynical,  skeptical, and a fatalist like some of the above I wouldn't want to flaunt it in public and continue to think that way. It is no way to live. Yaz popped up to Nettles and that broke our hearts but the Idiots is the 2004 ALCS broke the hearts of the Evil Empire. To continue to be a cynic, skeptic, and fatalist is a character flaw and you can choose to get over deep hurt if you set your mind on it.

Realism in my book is saying that what happened to Hanrahan was unfortunate and bad luck. Calling it an inept move by the GM is being unrealistic, not realistic. 

[/QUOTE]

Pike is a character flaw. How else could you explain its need for so many usernames? Insanity also works.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I am the more rare version of fan.

The "Black Hat"

The glass is not half-empty or even empty. The glass is broken and the juice has run all over the floor making a colossal mess that no one but me will even think about cleaning up.

This is the hat of the cynic. The fan who believes that the worst case scemerio is inevitable. Hall of Famer Yastrzemski will be up at bat in a one game playoff against the Yankees in the 9th with two outs and he will pop-up....meanwhile the winning homer is hit by Bucky Dent....that was the worst case scenerio. The best pitcher your farm system has ever produced will leave your team, end up with  the Yankees and win a ring. The greatest catcher you farm systen has ever produced will have differences with the front office, and end up playing most of his career in Chicago. The greatest centerfielder your farn tean has ever produced will win ROY and MVP in his first season and go downhill from there due to running into the centerfield wall too often. The most lovable of the 'idiots' will end up being known as Johnny Demon and play for the hated Yankees. Some guy who was the all time HR leader for a long time will get sold to the Yankees and become a legend.

These are the 'worst cas scenerio' events that make a Red Sox fan a cynic.....that , and listening to too much Sex Pistols and Ozzy Osbourne.

"There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why.....I dream of things that never were and ask why not?"- Robert Kennedy

If you listen to Iron Man backwards, Ozzy clearly says "Ben Cherrington is Satan's love slave".

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

My wife understands baseball more than most fans, male or female.

She watches every game and will even say something like "don't you think the infield should be playing in under these circumstances?"

Yet, wherever we go, she wears her pink hat.  She knows the reputation 'pink hats' bring, but she'll wear it anyway....she likes the color.

Go figure..

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

I'm an optimist w/ a threshold. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

As a history buff, I'm not digging the Jacobin reference! Off with their heads! Be gone!

And Space, I don't think of Pollyannas as being "rose colored glass" people necessarily. I think they are realists but still look for the good. They want to see the good. To nurture it. Make it grow in everyone around them. It is not necessarily naive. The people in the movie came around and became better people eventually. It wasn't naivite. It was optimistic realism. The town learned to break out of their negative modalities. It became a new reality.

The same thing happened here. Lots of people were very negative on this year's team but it had a shot even last winter. Things were not as dire as people projected.

Say what you all will but I coined the term here and I'm defining it the way I want! It's more a realistic optimism. Most of you didn't even watch the movie I'm sure! It was the 2nd one I ever watched. Tobey Tyler was the first. In my little town all they had were Disney movies at that time. Some of you were just sour pusses just like the Grandma in the movie!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

As a history buff, I'm not digging the Jacobin reference! Off with their heads! Be gone!

And Space, I don't think of Pollyannas as being "rose colored glass" people necessarily. I think they are realists but still look for the good. They want to see the good. To nurture it. Make it grow in everyone around them. It is not necessarily naive. The people in the movie came around and became better people eventually. It wasn't naivite. It was optimistic realism. The town learned to break out of their negative modalities. It became a new reality.

The same thing happened here. Lots of people were very negative on this year's team but it had a shot even last winter. Things were not as dire as people projected.

Say what you all will but I coined the term here and I'm defining it the way I want! It's more a realistic optimism. Most of you didn't even watch the movie I'm sure! It was the 2nd one I ever watched. Tobey Tyler was the first. In my little town all they had were Disney movies at that time. Some of you were just sour pusses just like the Grandma in the movie!

We could also think of it as fulfilling prophesies.  It's impossible to make something happen if you don't believe that it can.  I realize that we as fans don't make much of a difference, but I certainly want the players and the organization believing in themselves.  What's unrealistic and delusional is to think that your opinion as a fan has any effect on organizational and managerial decision making.  If it did, that would make for terrible organization and management by appeasing novices and emotional idiots.  

Still, I do think we can collectively affect the energy of the team by lending our support to them.  Think about it.  If you're a player, whom would you rather entertain:  A group of fans that jump down your throat when you hit hard times, or a group of people who still support you when your struggling?   Of course, it won't make up for talent, but as a fan, it's really the only way, however seemingly inconsequential.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

We could also think of it as fulfilling prophesies.  It's impossible to make something happen if you don't believe that it can.  I realize that we as fans don't make much of a difference, but I certainly want the players and the organization believing in themselves.  What's unrealistic and delusional is to think that your opinion as a fan has any effect on organizational and managerial decision making.  If it did, that would make for terrible organization and management by appeasing novices and emotional idiots.  

Still, I do think we can collectively affect the energy of the team by lending our support to them.  Think about it.  If you're a player, whom would you rather entertain:  A group of fans that jump down your throat when you hit hard times, or a group of people who still support you when your struggling?   Of course, it won't make up for talent, but as a fan, it's really the only way, however seemingly inconsequential.  

[/QUOTE]
    I couldn't agree more Red! Then again, I did still email Theo a number of times a few years ago to emails I thought might be active! OK, maybe just twice!

By the way, I've decided to copyright my phrase "Pollyanna" so watch out all ye Redsox fans who want to use it in the future. And I've got a real pain in the rear lawyer. His name is ......Softy....and believe me you don't want him chomping on your rear!

Cool