Pitching acquisition ideas.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Pitching acquisition ideas.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/rangers-still-eyeing-andrew-bailey.html
    According to this snippit, the Rangers, who may be signing Darvish, and want to trade for Bailey, could make Matt Harrison available.  Harrison is a 26 year-old lefty who has only had one good year (2011 when he was 14-9), but he is also one of those curious guys who just gets wins.

If the Sox could land Brandon League for the same prospects that they are offering for Bailey, Do you think that Youkilis and Lin (or Chiang or Hassan) would be enough to land Harrison?  And would Aviles be good enough to take over 3B (with Punto his backup) until Middlebrooks is ready?  And would that solve all of the pitching problems? 

Rotation:  Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Harrison, Bard or Aceves

Bullpen:  League, Melancon, Jenks, Morales, Albers, Aceves or Bard

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Pitching acquisition ideas.

In Response to Pitching acquisition ideas.:
    [QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/rangers-still-eyeing-andrew-bailey.html According to this snippit, the Rangers, who may be signing Darvish, and want to trade for Bailey, could make Matt Harrison available.  Harrison is a 26 year-old lefty who has only had one good year (2011 when he was 14-9), but he is also one of those curious guys who just gets wins. If the Sox could land Brandon League for the same prospects that they are offering for Bailey, Do you think that Youkilis and Lin (or Chiang or Hassan) would be enough to land Harrison?  And would Aviles be good enough to take over 3B (with Punto his backup) until Middlebrooks is ready?  And would that solve all of the pitching problems?  Rotation:  Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Harrison, Bard or Aceves Bullpen:  League, Melancon, Jenks, Morales, Albers, Aceves or Bard
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]
    What prospects are the Red Sox offering for Andrew Bailey?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Good God, are you suggesting the Sox offer the same package for League (one year of arbitration left, only one good full season, up and down production overall, some injury history) as Bailey (three arbitration years to go, extremely good production, some injury history)?

Plus, have you watched League? He's quite a bit rough on the eyes. I could not handle having him come in to pressure situations through 162+ games.

At the right trade cost, Harrison is a perfect suggestion for a target. He should eat innings, he's still young, we'd have him for years (three, to be exact), his best year was last year, and he could always get better.

BUT...trading Youkilis for him is a no-go. We need Aviles for an all-around utility role, and he's not a full-time player anyway...you don't take one of the most productive hitters in the AL out of the league's best run-scoring lineup.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I'm not sure what the prospects being offered for Bailey are.  All I know is that they are not enough to land him, or he would be on the team already.  That is why I suggest the Sox turn around and offer the same package (or thereabouts) for League, who is older and less cost controlled, but still will make about a third of what Papelbon made last year, with as good a 2011 resume.  One assumes he would be much cheaper than Madson as well. 

By trading Youk, you free up the money to afford League and perhaps sign Beltran.  That would make up for the loss of Youk's bat.  The question is whether Aviles could be the everyday 3Bman until Middlebrooks (or Cecchini or Vitek) is ready.  BTW, I disagree on the super sub need for Aviles.  With Punto on board, and a RH hitting corner outfield, Aviles will be rather redundant.

Oh, and Bailey has a pretty scary injury history himself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

I like the idea of having League in the pen but I don't like the idea of giving Youk up for him I would replace him with some mid level prospects like Doubront, Tejada, Vitek, and Coyle or a high prospect like Bogaerts and a mid level group of Tejada and Vitek.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

In Response to Re: Pitching acquisition ideas.:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure what the prospects being offered for Bailey are.  All I know is that they are not enough to land him, or he would be on the team already.  That is why I suggest the Sox turn around and offer the same package (or thereabouts) for League, who is older and less cost controlled, but still will make about a third of what Papelbon made last year, with as good a 2011 resume.  One assumes he would be much cheaper than Madson as well.  By trading Youk, you free up the money to afford League and perhaps sign Beltran.  That would make up for the loss of Youk's bat.  The question is whether Aviles could be the everyday 3Bman until Middlebrooks (or Cecchini or Vitek) is ready.  BTW, I disagree on the super sub need for Aviles.  With Punto on board, and a RH hitting corner outfield, Aviles will be rather redundant. Oh, and Bailey has a pretty scary injury history himself.

If they can get Beltran that would be a great move. Then trade Ells/Youk for SP/closer. In my opinion getting Beltran is the most critical move the Sox can make this year. This will open up many options for OF, DH and potential trades.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching acquisition ideas. : If they can get Beltran that would be a great move. Then trade Ells/Youk for SP/closer. In my opinion getting Beltran is the most critical move the Sox can make this year. This will open up many options for OF, DH and potential trades.
    Posted by lhtak[/QUOTE]

Really don't think Beltran will be added but I could be wrong, just don't see him as a priority more of a luxury and with how the offseason has shaped up he does not fit the mold.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Pitching acquisition ideas.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching acquisition ideas. : Really don't think Beltran will be added but I could be wrong, just don't see him as a priority more of a luxury and with how the offseason has shaped up he does not fit the mold. Posted by bbenton87[/QUOTE] There are serious concerns about Beltran being able to play right at Fenway as well. Not a guy Id want on a multi year deal or someone I want to go over the luxury tax for....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching acquisition ideas. : If they can get Beltran that would be a great move. Then trade Ells/Youk for SP/closer. In my opinion getting Beltran is the most critical move the Sox can make this year. This will open up many options for OF, DH and potential trades.
    Posted by lhtak[/QUOTE]

I know we need pitching but why would you trade one of the best young player in MLB in Ells.

Hetchinspete.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The reason I suggested trading Youk for Harrison is that I am assuming some good prospects would be dealt to get League, and I would not want to lose another 2 or 3.  I'd rather give up Youk and his salary, which would then open up some room on the payroll to take on Beltran.  I do not think Beltran is signed unless Youk is traded.

As for Ells, I would only trade him after offering a multi-year deal equivalent to Crawford's and having him reject it.  If he turns that down, you almost have to trade him while his value is highest.  My fear is that he returns to earth this coming season and lose some value (or worse yet, get injured again).  But if you can sign him, you keep him.  He is what they thought Crawford could be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Beltran is a retread bum kneed DH.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

When you start talking about trading Youk, I think there needs to be consideration of what RH bat would replace him in the lineup to balance out the line-up.  I'm not opposed to trading Youk or opposed to seeing if Aviles can be a low cost 3B in 2012 but I think trading Youk means finding another RH bat that can hit between 3-5 in the line-up. 

Of course the logical answer to this is Beltran but that doesn't make a ton of sense.  Beltran is older, will cost more long term than Youk and is injury prone, I don't see Beltran as a wise or likely signing. 

Again, I see the benefits in moving Youk, which are an expiring contract but still productive and versatile and thus he has decent trade value/appeal and the Sox have potential short term and long term replacements at 3rd base so why not get something for Youk instead of just letting him walk.  On that level it makes sense BUT going into the season with Pedey as the only RH bat that seems to fit in the top 5-6 spots in the order isn't really an option, unless you are comfortable hitting Scutaro or Aviles #2 vs. LHP and batting Pedey #4.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Pitching acquisition ideas.": [QUOTE]The reason I suggested trading Youk for Harrison is that I am assuming some good prospects would be dealt to get League, and I would not want to lose another 2 or 3.  I'd rather give up Youk and his salary, which would then open up some room on the payroll to take on Beltran.  I do not think Beltran is signed unless Youk is traded. As for Ells, I would only trade him after offering a multi-year deal equivalent to Crawford's and having him reject it.  If he turns that down, you almost have to trade him while his value is highest.  My fear is that he returns to earth this coming season and lose some value (or worse yet, get injured again).  But if you can sign him, you keep him.  He is what they thought Crawford could be. Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE] Parhunter, Crawford was a panic move after Washington blew up their deal for Werth. They thought they had Werth at 5/90 agreed upon until the Nats blew them out of the water at the last minute. Even if Werth preferred Boston, the union wouldn't let him leave 30 mill on the table. Crawford was, in a sense, a panic move. Their OF was horrendous in 2010 and Werth and Crawford were only two all-star caliber outfielders available last winter with nothing this winter. Ells was coming off an injury, Drew was near the end and the Cameron, Navas and McDonalds in left weren't going to cut it. If they had known Ells would have had the year he did, there's no way they sign Crawford. They went hard after Justin Upton last winter for same reason.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

league is not worth anywhere near as much as bailey. i would not mind the sox picking up league for a middle to late inning role. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cleglyjones. Show cleglyjones's posts

[QUOTE]When you start talking about trading Youk, I think there needs to be consideration of what RH bat would replace him in the lineup to balance out the line-up.  I'm not opposed to trading Youk or opposed to seeing if Aviles can be a low cost 3B in 2012 but I think trading Youk means finding another RH bat that can hit between 3-5 in the line-up.  Of course the logical answer to this is Beltran but that doesn't make a ton of sense.  Beltran is older, will cost more long term than Youk and is injury prone, I don't see Beltran as a wise or likely signing.  Again, I see the benefits in moving Youk, which are an expiring contract but still productive and versatile and thus he has decent trade value/appeal and the Sox have potential short term and long term replacements at 3rd base so why not get something for Youk instead of just letting him walk.  On that level it makes sense BUT going into the season with Pedey as the only RH bat that seems to fit in the top 5-6 spots in the order isn't really an option, unless you are comfortable hitting Scutaro or Aviles #2 vs. LHP and batting Pedey #4.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Heck no, on Beltran, not worth the money it would take, unless we can get him on a one year deal....i believe a full year of Kalish or Reddick would produce similiar or better numbers than a Beltran at 12X the price.  I agree, I don't think trading Youk is an option this season.  He's signed to a reasonable deal, he comes to play everyday and is a damn good ballplayer.  I DO NOT want anyone to trade Youk for League, hell no.....I mean if we are offering Youk plus prospects up we had damn well get more than League....He is iffy at best, albeit with a nasty fastball.  I don't know how much I believe in Middlebrooks, I have never personally seen him in action but I do know that "sometimes" are prospects get a tid bit overhyped, which is why I would much rather see us attempt a package deal for Bailey and Gio....start with a list that includes Middlebrooks, Renaudo, a Kalish or Reddick, Lars, Britton, Wilson.....personally I don't believe we have that untouchable prospect that we absolutely cannot give up and the majority of our talent is very young and by the time they "hopefully" arrive to the show, much of our main core today will be gone or past their prime. I think if we can get Bailey and Gio as a package deal for prospects then we absolutely do it.  With that said, I'm not a huge fan of either of them haha, I'd say screw both of them for a King Felix or Matt Cain any day of the week:)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching acquisition ideas. : Heck no, on Beltran, not worth the money it would take, unless we can get him on a one year deal....i believe a full year of Kalish or Reddick would produce similiar or better numbers than a Beltran at 12X the price.  I agree, I don't think trading Youk is an option this season.  He's signed to a reasonable deal, he comes to play everyday and is a damn good ballplayer.  I DO NOT want anyone to trade Youk for League, hell no.....I mean if we are offering Youk plus prospects up we had damn well get more than League....He is iffy at best, albeit with a nasty fastball.  I don't know how much I believe in Middlebrooks, I have never personally seen him in action but I do know that "sometimes" are prospects get a tid bit overhyped, which is why I would much rather see us attempt a package deal for Bailey and Gio....start with a list that includes Middlebrooks, Renaudo, a Kalish or Reddick, Lars, Britton, Wilson.....personally I don't believe we have that untouchable prospect that we absolutely cannot give up and the majority of our talent is very young and by the time they "hopefully" arrive to the show, much of our main core today will be gone or past their prime. I think if we can get Bailey and Gio as a package deal for prospects then we absolutely do it.  With that said, I'm not a huge fan of either of them haha, I'd say screw both of them for a King Felix or Matt Cain any day of the week:)
    Posted by cleglyjones[/QUOTE]

If they are going to trade Youk this would be the time to do it, when he still has 2 potential years of control, the problem is replacing his bat.  I don't see Youk going anywhere though, I think they will DH him vs. some LHP and let Aviles play 3rd to save the wear and tear on Youk. 

I don't want Beltran either, but Reddick or Kalish cannot be a full time RF next year, there must be a RH platoon option. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]league is not worth anywhere near as much as bailey. i would not mind the sox picking up league for a middle to late inning role. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]
    This Seattle fan concedes that three years of Andrew Bailey is worth far more than one year of Brandon League.

But whom (if anyone) would the Red Sox be willing to trade for Brandon League?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/rangers-still-eyeing-andrew-bailey.html According to this snippit, the Rangers, who may be signing Darvish, and want to trade for Bailey, could make Matt Harrison available.  Harrison is a 26 year-old lefty who has only had one good year (2011 when he was 14-9), but he is also one of those curious guys who just gets wins. If the Sox could land Brandon League for the same prospects that they are offering for Bailey, Do you think that Youkilis and Lin (or Chiang or Hassan) would be enough to land Harrison?  And would Aviles be good enough to take over 3B (with Punto his backup) until Middlebrooks is ready?  And would that solve all of the pitching problems?  Rotation:  Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Harrison, Bard or Aceves Bullpen:  League, Melancon, Jenks, Morales, Albers, Aceves or Bard

There is probably a big concern with the $12mill salary difference.   While Texas might want to move Harrison for a 1B, they probably would like someone younger, cheaper and with more control going forward...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Chiang was traded to either the Dodgers or Seattle before the trade deadline. Not 100 % sure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pitching acquisition ideas. : I think Chiang was traded to either the Dodgers or Seattle before the trade deadline. Not 100 % sure.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Yes, he went to Seattle in the Bedard deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Sox don't have the budget or the prospects.  But they have a great arm in Bard.  Making him the closer is a no-brainer.  All closers get their first Big League Save with ZERO Experience..........I believe this is how Rivera, Eckersley and Quisenbery all got their starts, no????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

So then you keep Aceves in the pen along with Melacon.......Morales who looked good at the end of last year...let the rookies battle it out for a job or 2.....they already committed to Albiers......give yourself payroll flexibility to add a Reliever mid season which isn't that hard to do.....you could leave the pen alone and focus on starters.

Beckett, Buck, Lester

That's it right now.....Beckett and Buck are injury prone

Doubrant could be your #5

But who else is ready in the minors? No One.

Very very thin here........

And it's far easier to add a starter in the Winter than in mid season.

They need TWO starters and then have less than $10 million to play with and not enough prospects to get someone decent.  Very scary.  Meanwhile, we have 26.5 million dollars of starting pitching on the DL.  Thanks, Theo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tommythetulip. Show tommythetulip's posts

Sign Oswalt as the #4, he only wants a one-year deal.  Ideally, sign Paul Maholm as the #5, and leave both Bard and Aceves in the pen.  If they honestly want to give Bard a shot at starting, instead of Maholm, sign Chris Young to pitch out of the pen.  If the Bard experiment doesn't work, push him back to the bullpen and have Young as the #5.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching acquisition ideas. : Heck no, on Beltran, not worth the money it would take, unless we can get him on a one year deal....i believe a full year of Kalish or Reddick would produce similiar or better numbers than a Beltran at 12X the price.  I agree, I don't think trading Youk is an option this season.  He's signed to a reasonable deal, he comes to play everyday and is a damn good ballplayer.  I DO NOT want anyone to trade Youk for League, hell no.....I mean if we are offering Youk plus prospects up we had damn well get more than League....He is iffy at best, albeit with a nasty fastball.  I don't know how much I believe in Middlebrooks, I have never personally seen him in action but I do know that "sometimes" are prospects get a tid bit overhyped, which is why I would much rather see us attempt a package deal for Bailey and Gio....start with a list that includes Middlebrooks, Renaudo, a Kalish or Reddick, Lars, Britton, Wilson.....personally I don't believe we have that untouchable prospect that we absolutely cannot give up and the majority of our talent is very young and by the time they "hopefully" arrive to the show, much of our main core today will be gone or past their prime. I think if we can get Bailey and Gio as a package deal for prospects then we absolutely do it.  With that said, I'm not a huge fan of either of them haha, I'd say screw both of them for a King Felix or Matt Cain any day of the week:)
    Posted by cleglyjones[/QUOTE]

If you start the list of prospects with Lavarnway there is immediate interest. Then Middlebrooks, then from reports Boggaerts, Ranaudo, Brentz, Britton, Wilson, Barnes(I think it's 6 to 9 months before draft picks can be traded).

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts