Pitching first move batting second !

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Pitching first move batting second !

I do not know about you but the Sox need to address the pitching first.

The Sox were 27th in the majors with an 5.50 era not a championship pitching squad. Common sense Farrel and Company will need to get the era down first then work on the batting, runs and RBI's. Hopefully they the Sox will go out find one heck of a miracle working batting coach.

Back to our pitching this a brief summary of some articles that i been reading recently and also some of you the posters input.

(1) Morales was 4.50 sub par before his injury. What is your opinion bullpen or starter next season. I would say bullpen to start.

(2) Lester coming off his worst season is he still ace material. I would say let him rebound to start

(3) Bucholtz is still healthy. I would say keep him at second spot

(4) Doubront great impressive season. I would say keep him in number 4 spot

(5) Lackey coming one of most difficult surgery for recoverin; but was looking good through pitching sessions in the late summer. I would say definetly keep him for fifth spot duty and go from there. Lackey is very expensive 5 man but if  things get back to positive comeback just another bonus. 

(6) Acevez another possible starter. I would say bull pen to start.

(7) Morales and Acevez will be good to be put in as our middle man incase a stater gets off to bad start and time to pull him out ASAP

(8) Tasawa is a positive after his recovery from surgery will be the set up man.

(9) Bard and Bailey almost sounds like a cocktail mix. Will be let see what happens early in next year season. For extra security trade for Marmol closing duties.

(10) The Sox nation do have some young arms that can fill in the bullpen gap and that is why baseball has spring training to say who stays and goes.

(11) Melancon will be alright for bullpen duties maybe go and sign FA Betancourt if need be. The ex jays coaching staff may take a chance on bullpen pitcher Frasor an ex jay.

High end FA starters possibilties are greinke sanchez lohse peavy jackson haren santana

If you prefer short term deals are liriano mccarthy guthrie villaneuva to fill in the number three hole.

The trade ideas J. Macdonald, Dickey the knuckleballer, Garza, Vaughn or gavin Floyd

Ending with this what makes baseball off season vital and training camp evaluations the most important.

Lets Go Red Sox and rebound from a terrible season and get that wild card spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Pitching first move batting second !

They are looking for pitching.  Boston have already spoken to most top 15 best available starting pitchers.   Now they are going to see what is their asking price will be.   That is why Boston among other teams are still waiting for the first starting pitcher who is in the top ten free agency ranking to sign with either the newly team or the old team where that will set the pricing range for the remaining pitchers.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I still believe the poor pitching was due to poor game calling. A new catcher will right the pitching ship!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

what does it matter if pitching if the first or last thing addressed? as long as it actuallty gets addressed...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:

The trade ideas J. Macdonald, Dickey the knuckleballer, Garza, Vaughn or gavin Floyd

Honest question: Who is Vaughn?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn, of course!!

http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b0168e57a0a13970c-800wi

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry i doted this name before coming to the forum. It is Jason Vargas from the mariners that mat be up for a trade. Apparently seattle is looking for catcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My mistake when dotting names down it is Vargas from seattle that may be on the trade block for a catcher.

[/QUOTE]

Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn, of course!!

http://mobilwi.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6dde087970b0168e57a0a13970c-800wi

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I still believe the poor pitching was due to poor game calling. A new catcher will right the pitching ship!

[/QUOTE]

From the profile i read on the ross, that he has good communication skills with his pitchers and his strenght is defense with a good pick off ratio. This will help the sox next season, thumbs up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront great impressive season. I would say keep him in number 4 spot

A promising, but not "great impressive season"".

His WHIP was nearly 1.50

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Sorry i doted this name before coming to the forum. It is Jason Vargas from the mariners that mat be up for a trade. Apparently seattle is looking for catcher.

With catchers John Jaso (2.6 WAR in 2012) and former top prospect Jesus Montero on board, and top prospect Mike Zunino expected no later than Opening Day 2014, the Mariners are likely looking for nothing more than a short-term defensive-minded catcher such as the light-hitting Humberto Quintero. I doubt the Mariners would have much interest in Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Ryan Lavarnway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

With catchers John Jaso (2.6 WAR in 2012) and former top prospect Jesus Montero on board, and top prospect Mike Zunino expected no later than Opening Day 2014, the Mariners are likely looking for nothing more than a short-term defensive-minded catcher such as the light-hitting Humberto Quintero. I doubt the Mariners would have much interest in Jarrod Saltalamacchia or Ryan Lavarnway.

[/QUOTE]

Montero is a DH and Jaso in parts of 5 seasons has 20 homers. I could definitely see them moving from Jaso especially a team with not much power.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Personally I don't care what order things get done, as long as at the end of the winter all our needs have been met in the best possible way for the team. (You may think that doesn't need to be said, but some posters somehow seem to believe that since we signed a backup catcher a few days ago, that must have been a higher priority for the FO than pitching, 1B, or the outfield.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Apparently, we are focusing on Napoli for the time being.... probably just want to sign him ASAP and then move on to pitching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Too bad Napoli doesn't play RF.  With Torii Hunter looking to sign in Detroit, and C. Ross being wooed by almost everyone else, the Sox have a hole in the OF that needs to be filled.  As for 1b, I'd take Youkilis over Napoli every day and twice on opening day (to paraphrase).  P. Abraham put into print what I have thought all along:  Don't expect Napoli to hit in Fenway the way he did when playing against the Sox, since he won't be hitting against the Sox's pitchers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Montero is a DH and Jaso in parts of 5 seasons has 20 homers. I could definitely see them moving from Jaso especially a team with not much power.

In 2012 Jesus Montero played 56 games at catcher, including one game in which Montero caught a no-hitter (as did John Jaso this season).

Jarrod Saltamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway might not display much power if they played half of their games at Seattle's Safeco Field. In 2012, Saltalamacchia posted a venue-adjusted OPS+ of 95 with 25 homeruns in 448 plate appearances while Lavarnway posted an OPS+ of 23 with two homeruns in 166 plate appearances.

Jaso posted an OPS+ of 144 with 10 homeruns in 361 plate appearances.

Here are corresponding numbers for four Seattle players, under 26 years of age, who should at least rival the power numbers of 27-year-old Jarrod Saltalamacchia and 25-year-old Ryan Lavarnway:

Jesus Montero (22) OPS+ 95, 15 HR

Kyle Seager (24) OPS+ 110, 20 HR

Justin Smoak (25) OPS+ 87, 19 HR

Michael Saunders (25) OPS+ 110, 19 HR

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Apparently, we are focusing on Napoli for the time being.... probably just want to sign him ASAP and then move on to pitching.

[/QUOTE]

After the Blue Jays news about the trade, Cherington will need to start making some serious moves to stay in competition. The tables are turn Sox nation napoli is sounding better every minute and so is a high caliber ace pitcher. Time to shut off my computer and what baseball news we have tommorrow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bgomez's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

After the Blue Jays news about the trade, Cherington will need to start making some serious moves to stay in competition. The tables are turn Sox nation napoli is sounding better every minute and so is a high caliber ace pitcher. Time to shut off my computer and what baseball news we have tommorrow.

[/QUOTE]

Cherrington needs to stay the course of their set plan and not get caught up in a competition thing. Theyve constructed a solid offseason plan and dont need to try and make a bigger splash to beat the Jays in the offseason. they need to make moves that will fill the Sox needs so they can win during the regular season and many season to come. They Jays mortgaged the future to win now.