Pitching move?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pitching move?

I see CJ Wilson, Buerhle, Darvish, Oswalt and even E Jackson out there, with questions on all of them, and price tags $10 million and higher. I see potential volume on the horizen next year in starting pitching;
    Matt Cain
    Fausto Carmona
    John Danks
    Jorge De La Rosa  
    Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd
    Zack Greinke
    Jeremy Guthrie
    Cole Hamels
    Dan Haren
    Tim Hudson
    Kyle Lohse
    Shaun Marcum
    Daisuke Matsuzaka 
    Brett Myers 
    Jake Peavy 
    Anibal Sanchez
    Jonathan Sanchez
    Ervin Santana  
    James Shields  
    Randy Wolf 
    Carlos Zambrano
    Are the Sox wise to look at a pitcher like Mike Pelphrey? He most likely is tendered at $5m, and the Mets are in the market for inexpensive middle inf (Iggy, Lowrie),  and relief pitching (Weiland, Wilson).
    Pelphrey, while not a star, is a solid 4/5 that will pitch 200 innings and keep the Sox with this offense in games. 
    Pelphrey w/b a 1 year show me type deal, and the change of scenery seems like the best thing for him. 
    Sox are not looking at a 3-4 year deal for $30-50 mil with any of this years free agents, and this bridges them to a year closer to Ranaudo, Britton and out from Dice K's contract.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Pitching move?

In Response to Pitching move?:
    [QUOTE]I see CJ Wilson, Buerhle, Darvish, Oswalt and even E Jackson out there, with questions on all of them, and price tags $10 million and higher. I see potential volume on the horizen next year in starting pitching; Matt Cain Fausto Carmona John Danks Jorge De La Rosa    Scott Feldman Gavin Floyd Zack Greinke Jeremy Guthrie Cole Hamels Dan Haren Tim Hudson Kyle Lohse Shaun Marcum Daisuke Matsuzaka   Brett Myers  Jake Peavy  Anibal Sanchez Jonathan Sanchez Ervin Santana    James Shields    Randy Wolf  Carlos Zambrano Are the Sox wise to look at a pitcher like Mike Pelphrey? He most likely is tendered at $5m, and the Mets are in the market for inexpensive middle inf (Iggy, Lowrie),  and relief pitching (Weiland, Wilson). Pelphrey, while not a star, is a solid 4/5 that will pitch 200 innings and keep the Sox with this offense in games.  Pelphrey w/b a 1 year show me type deal, and the change of scenery seems like the best thing for him.  Sox are not looking at a 3-4 year deal for $30-50 mil with any of this years free agents, and this bridges them to a year closer to Ranaudo, Britton and out from Dice K's contract.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]
    Mike Pelfrey, who is projected* to earn a salary of $5.8 million in 2012, remains under his team's control for two more seasons. Given the dearth of starting pitching, a starter who has averaged 195 innings a season over the past four years has great value ... the righthander would command a significant return.

Jed Lowie will get more expensive as the infielder approaches his 28th birthday next year in the opening weeks of his first arbitration season.

* http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

There are certainly some notable names in 2013. Perhaps we should just suck it up, do some salary dumps this year, and look at 2013 for our rise to the championship.

Youk is a FA next year, that's $13M off the books. Probably best to move him at the TD. Dice is also gone in 2013 that's another $12+M.
    Use the money we we'll save on Pap and Drew, to fill some holes this year with 1 year contracts on a RF (Sizemore), and some BP help.
    Re-sign Bedard at 2/6M, and Wake for $1M.
    Give Aardsma a 3yr/10M deal. He can be our closer, or set-up for bard. Even thouygh he was 0-6, his K/9 and WHIP are nothing to be sneezed at.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gbman87603. Show gbman87603's posts

In Response to Pitching move?:
    [QUOTE]I see CJ Wilson, Buerhle, Darvish, Oswalt and even E Jackson out there, with questions on all of them, and price tags $10 million and higher. I see potential volume on the horizen next year in starting pitching; Matt Cain Fausto Carmona John Danks Jorge De La Rosa    Scott Feldman Gavin Floyd Zack Greinke Jeremy Guthrie Cole Hamels Dan Haren Tim Hudson Kyle Lohse Shaun Marcum Daisuke Matsuzaka   Brett Myers  Jake Peavy  Anibal Sanchez Jonathan Sanchez Ervin Santana    James Shields    Randy Wolf  Carlos Zambrano Are the Sox wise to look at a pitcher like Mike Pelphrey? He most likely is tendered at $5m, and the Mets are in the market for inexpensive middle inf (Iggy, Lowrie),  and relief pitching (Weiland, Wilson). Pelphrey, while not a star, is a solid 4/5 that will pitch 200 innings and keep the Sox with this offense in games.  Pelphrey w/b a 1 year show me type deal, and the change of scenery seems like the best thing for him.  Sox are not looking at a 3-4 year deal for $30-50 mil with any of this years free agents, and this bridges them to a year closer to Ranaudo, Britton and out from Dice K's contract.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I would think that list could be cut down with players who are signed before they hit the market.

Matt Cain
    Fausto Carmona
    John Danks
    Jorge De La Rosa  
    Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd
    Zack Greinke
    Jeremy Guthrie
    Cole Hamels
    Dan Haren
    Tim Hudson
    Kyle Lohse

Shaun Marcum
    Daisuke Matsuzaka 
    Brett Myers 
    Jake Peavy 
    Anibal Sanchez
    Jonathan Sanchez
    Ervin Santana  
    James Shields  
    Randy Wolf 
    Carlos Zambrano

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mike Pelfrey, who is projected* to earn a salary of $5.8 million in 2012, remains under his team's control for two more seasons. Given the dearth of starting pitching, a starter who has averaged 195 innings a season over the past four years has great value ... the righthander would command a significant return.

yeah, I had him pegged at $5-$5.5 if offered. Sounds like the Mets really thought hard about not offering him arb. Looks like both Pelphrey and Mets would welcome some sort of change. I also dont see the Mets in the financial mess they are in, paying a 3/4/5 pitcher that much money for any more than short term.

Surely you don't think any team would give up a front line prospect, do you? And just as sure, you don't think that the Mets would take on salary, do you? I would imagine it would take a low lever/high ceiling prospect, or an underperforming player under some cost control for 1-3 years...I think the Mets would move him, and I think he could be had for pieces not necessarily in the Sox plans.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Pitching move?:
    [QUOTE]Mike Pelfrey, who is projected* to earn a salary of $5.8 million in 2012, remains under his team's control for two more seasons. Given the dearth of starting pitching, a starter who has averaged 195 innings a season over the past four years has great value ... the righthander would command a significant return . yeah, I had him pegged at $5-$5.5 if offered. Sounds like the Mets really thought hard about not offering him arb. Looks like both Pelphrey and Mets would welcome some sort of change. I also dont see the Mets in the financial mess they are in, paying a 3/4/5 pitcher that much money for any more than short term. Surely you don't think any team would give up a front line prospect, do you? And just as sure, you don't think that the Mets would take on salary, do you? I would imagine it would take a low lever/high ceiling prospect, or an underperforming player under some cost control for 1-3 years...I think the Mets would move him, and I think he could be had for pieces not necessarily in the Sox plans.  
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]Creative thinking, I like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

would think that list could be cut down with players who are signed before they hit the market.

Matt Cain
    Fausto Carmona
    John Danks
    Jorge De La Rosa  
    Scott Feldman
    Gavin Floyd
    Zack Greinke
    Jeremy Guthrie
    Cole Hamels
    Dan Haren
    Tim Hudson
    Kyle Lohse

Shaun Marcum
    Daisuke Matsuzaka 
    Brett Myers 
    Jake Peavy 
    Anibal Sanchez
    Jonathan Sanchez
    Ervin Santana  
    James Shields  
    Randy Wolf 
    Carlos Zambrano

I dont know. Can the Giants improve their offense (Reyes?) and sign both Cain and Lincecum?
    Sounds like the White Sox are ready to move to complete rebuilding  moving Danks and Floyd maybe this year.
    Can the Brewers sign/replace Prince and sign both Marcum and Greinke?
    I still think Hamels is moved before the AS break this year..
    With the Rays pitching depth, no way they sign Shields 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox are among the teams in pursuit of lefthander C.J. Wilson, according to this report from columnist Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/CBA-puts-emphasis-on-better-creative-scouting-112311

Scroll down.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Wilson value ends at 3 years and base 10. Market is higher, do not get into auction style bidding for Wilson. Yankees will be bidding, auction style.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like CJ Wilson, but do not think he will be worth even close to what he will eventually get.

The positives:
    He just turned 30, but has only been a starter for 2 years. The "wear and tear" on his arm has been minimal.
    3 straight seasons
    of 3.35 or lower ERA.
    3 straight seasons with an improving WHIP (1.187 in 2011).
    He's a lefty.
    Has done well vs the Yanks (3.80 ERA/.676 OPS against)
    Has done well vs TB (2.25/.576)

The negatives:
    He walks too many batters (3.8 BB/9 career).
    1-5  4.82 (1.433 WHIP) in 52.1 playoff innings.
    Pretty big disparity between LHBs (.560 OPS) and RHBs (.712), which doesn't bode well for Fenway Park, although in 16.1 IP, he has a 1.65 ERA in Boston and a .555 OPS against.
    Has a higher OPS against in high leverage situations (.715) than overall (.670). RISP career: .771.

All in all, I'd offer him $37M/3 with a team option at $10M with  $2M buyout, making his deal worth $39M/3 or $47M/4. That being said, he wouldn't be in Boston with my offer.

I'd love to get Cain next year.
    I think Shields will have been burnt out by overuse in TB.
    Santana is interesting but is helped by playing in LA and also playign so many games in Oak & Sea.

I still say trading for a quality pitcher may be our best option for a 4th starter this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

he just turned 31

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox are among the teams in pursuit of lefthander C.J. Wilson, according to this report from columnist Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/CBA-puts-emphasis-on-better-creative-scouting-112311 Scroll down.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Sox won't even be in the running for Wilson given the other teams who have expressed interest in him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching move? : Sox won't even be in the running for Wilson given the other teams who have expressed interest in him.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

That depends...

How highly does Ben rate CJ?
    How high will our payroll budget be allowed to go?
    How high will others will bid?

We lose Dice-K after 2012 (although an argument can be made that we "lost him" years ago).

I wouldn't bid more than about $39M/3 for him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ben goes higher if this is the man he wants.

Sections
Shortcuts