Pitching to Longoria

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

Pitching to Longoria

I'm no fan of Tito's game management, if you can actually call it that, but last night gave us yet another example of just how awful he is. A little league manager would've gotten this move right.

Your opponent has the winning run on 3rd with only one out and their best hitter coming to the plate. You don't even think about it- you hold up four fingers and you walk him to set up a double play. Why in the world would you pitch to Evan Longoria with a runner at 3rd and one out in extra innings?

Funny thing is he pitched to Longoria earlier in the game with a runner on 3rd and first base open. Longoria got him again with a sac fly to center on an 0-2 pitch. Francona doesn't learn lessons I guess.

You Francona nutswingers will try to defend it with some ridiculous argument as always but the fact is that a gerbil could win the wildcard with the talent that's on this team, because at least a gerbil wouldn't screw up as much as Tito does. I know he's won two rings, but it wasn't because of his management. He's awful, and he'll probably prove my point again today.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Pitching to Longoria

So Francona makes a poor decision and suddenly he is an awful manager?

I'm sure you have made poor decisions at work as well.  But that does not make you an awful colleague.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Re: Pitching to Longoria:
    [QUOTE]So Francona makes a poor decision and suddenly he is an awful manager? I'm sure you have made poor decisions at work as well.  But that does not make you an awful colleague.  
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is an awful colleague.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scott8340. Show Scott8340's posts

He makes awful decisions daily. He is an awful manager day in and day out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

His awful decision this morning was choosing the tomato juice instead of the Orange juice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Count me among those who would have walked Longoria. But this is a classic pick-your-poison scenario. Do you pitch to the team's leading RBI man, or its second-leading RBI man. Pretty easy call after the fact.
    My problem was the awful pitch Bard threw to Longoria on 0-2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

Second-guessing managerial moves is fine but you can see that Scott does it on nearly post that he makes. That makes it seem that he has an agenda.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, Lloyd 0-2s to anyone should never look like that, but in this situation, it was absurd! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I went to Dunkin Donuts today and ordered a large ice caramel latte with skim milk.  The guy forgot to put caramel in my ice latte. 

So I guess the guy who forgot to put the caramel in my latte is an awful guy and Dunkin Donuts needs to fire him right? 

The Red Sox will be fine.  And the Patriots will face the Packers in the Super Bowl. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

In Response to Pitching to Longoria:
    [QUOTE]I'm no fan of Tito's game management, if you can actually call it that, but last night gave us yet another example of just how awful he is. A little league manager would've gotten this move right. Your opponent has the winning run on 3rd with only one out and their best hitter coming to the plate. You don't even think about it- you hold up four fingers and you walk him to set up a double play. Why in the world would you pitch to Evan Longoria with a runner at 3rd and one out in extra innings? Funny thing is he pitched to Longoria earlier in the game with a runner on 3rd and first base open. Longoria got him again with a sac fly to center on an 0-2 pitch. Francona doesn't learn lessons I guess. You Francona nutswingers will try to defend it with some ridiculous argument as always but the fact is that a gerbil could win the wildcard with the talent that's on this team, because at least a gerbil wouldn't screw up as much as Tito does.

I know he's won two rings, but it wasn't because of his management. He's awful, and he'll probably prove my point again today.
    Posted by Scott8340[/QUOTE]

Tito's feeling the heat bigtime, Longoria kills the Red Sox, has since he's been in the League, he kills lots of teams. he's getting hot at the right time. Your right about pitching to him, they should have loaded the bases. Or at least walked Longoria. Oh well were four up in the lost column , couldn't lose it from there. How many more games left with TB? Oh four .

Lester better win this one , lots of pressure on the Lefty. Shields is one tough Hombre . Sox 2-1 in a nail biter. They win today and the pressure is back on TB.
    They lose and Uh Oh. There gonna win . Heck they have a fresh Aceves, Papelbon, and Bard. To back up Lester, oh wait,  how about Bowden, Albers , Doubront and Wheeler.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pitching to Longoria : Tito's feeling the heat bigtime, Longoria kills the Red Sox, has since he's been in the League, he kills lots of teams. he's getting hot at the right time. Your right about pitching to him, they should have loaded the bases. Or at least walked Longoria. Oh well were four up in the lost column , couldn't lose it from there. How many more games left with TB? Oh four . Lester better win this one , lots of pressure on the Lefty. Shields is one tough Hombre . Sox 2-1 in a nail biter. They win today and the pressure is back on TB. They lose and Uh Oh. There gonna win . Heck they have a fresh Aceves, Papelbon, and Bard. To back up Lester, oh wait,  how about Bowden, Albers , Doubront and Wheeler.  
    Posted by aussiewill[/QUOTE]

I'll bet that you turned sour on Bowden, Albers, Doubrant, and Wheeler after poor outings in recent weeks but were high on them earlier in the season. It is convenient and easy to be a fair weather fan. Anyone can play the hindsight game.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

i would have walked Longoria but i would also say the triple was a catchable ball in the first place, poor communication between Ells and D mac

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]Count me among those who would have walked Longoria. But this is a classic pick-your-poison scenario. Do you pitch to the team's leading RBI man, or its second-leading RBI man. Pretty easy call after the fact. My problem was the awful pitch Bard threw to Longoria on 0-2.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Lloyd, don't you think that if Bard could choose where every pitch goes that he'd be the greatest pitcher in the history of baseball?? 60'6" and he misses his target by inches. If your problem wasn't Francona, then ...........never mind.  No outs and the leadoff batter gets a triple, hmmm lets see, what to do????  If I walk the batter, they'll have the potential to score more than one run.....??? Francona should have intentionally walked the bases full, creating a force at any base, end of strategy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]I went to Dunkin Donuts today and ordered a large ice caramel latte with skim milk.  The guy forgot to put caramel in my ice latte.  So I guess the guy who forgot to put the caramel in my latte is an awful guy and Dunkin Donuts needs to fire him right?  The Red Sox will be fine.  And the Patriots will face the Packers in the Super Bowl. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Lmao, are you, in some way, insinuating that Francona does not make constant dubious moves or non moves?? Do you even watch the games?? If your guy at DD forgot your caramel today, and forgot the ice yesterday and forgot the skim milk the day before and forgot the coffee ...and so on .....then you could compare him to Francona, and yes he should be fired. Actually Francona often doubles up on his idiotic moves in some games, which would be like your DD guy skipping two ingredients of your "ice caramel latte with skim milk".  Are you Felix Unger or Alan Harper??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Myles-Standish. Show Myles-Standish's posts

Was the guy at Dunkin Donuts named Jimy?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pitching to Longoria : Lloyd, don't you think that if Bard could choose where every pitch goes that he'd be the greatest pitcher in the history of baseball?? 60'6" and he misses his target by inches. If your problem wasn't Francona, then ...........never mind.  No outs and the leadoff batter gets a triple, hmmm lets see, what to do????  If I walk the batter, they'll have the potential to score more than one run.....??? Francona should have intentionally walked the bases full, creating a force at any base, end of strategy.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]
    The point, '41, is that you don't throw an 0-2 pitch down the middle of the plate. Come up high, go outside, hit a corner ... anywhere but down the middle. Judging from where Salty was setting up, he wanted it high. Instead, it was belly high and Longoria drilled it.

Seriously, walk the bases full?!? You do remember Bard's last outing right? 34 pitches -- 19 balls, 17 strikes ... and three walks. Ever hear the expression "nowhere to put him?"

Now, the notion of putting Longoria on and taking your chances with Zobrist with runners on the corners I could buy. Possible double play there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

You've confirmed what I said about Bard's pitch. Do you think he aimed it right down the middle? He missed the intended target by a matter of inches. Think of a 3-0 count and the pitcher tries to throw it down the middle, and throws a ball, he didn't mean to, but he missed his target. So you'd be counting on a walk that would end the game, based on Bard's last outing?? I'm saying pitching to the guy that grounded out to 1st was a mistake. he should have been the first intentional walk. IMHO.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Seriously, walk the bases full?!? You do remember Bard's last outing right? 34 pitches -- 19 balls, 17 strikes ... and three walks. Ever hear the expression "nowhere to put him?"

Tough call either way.  You set up a force at home, but you need to get by two batters with the threat of a walk hanging over your head.  At this point, you need to get an out without a sac fly basically.

I'm not seeing an edge pitching to Zobrist instead of longoria.  The OPS is about the same.  Do you want to pass on the R/R matchup and pitch to two lefties?

BTW, my apolgies if one of the critics offered up this information earlier.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Just reviewed the posts again.

Did you know that not one of the critics put up any data whatsoever?

Just once in a while, I'd love to hear some kind of analysis.  It is seemingly impossible that we'll ever heard one of them go thru a series of numbers to back up their conclusion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Looks like Aussie made a retreat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]You've confirmed what I said about Bard's pitch. Do you think he aimed it right down the middle? He missed the intended target by a matter of inches. Think of a 3-0 count and the pitcher tries to throw it down the middle, and throws a ball, he didn't mean to, but he missed his target. So you'd be counting on a walk that would end the game, based on Bard's last outing?? I'm saying pitching to the guy that grounded out to 1st was a mistake. he should have been the first intentional walk. IMHO.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]
    Of course I don't think Bard aimed it down the middle, any more than I think Papi intentionally grounded into that 4-6-3 in the ninth. They both made mistakes, which happens in sports. And life, for that matter.
    Disagree with your strategy. I hate loading the bases with nobody out ... but once they got the first out, I'd have walked Longoria and taken my chances with Zobrist. It's pick your poison, but I like my odds better of hopefully getting a double-play ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]Seriously, walk the bases full?!? You do remember Bard's last outing right? 34 pitches -- 19 balls, 17 strikes ... and three walks. Ever hear the expression "nowhere to put him? " Tough call either way.  You set up a force at home, but you need to get by two batters with the threat of a walk hanging over your head.  At this point, you need to get an out without a sac fly basically. I'm not seeing an edge pitching to Zobrist instead of longoria.  The OPS is about the same.  Do you want to pass on the R/R matchup and pitch to two lefties? BTW, my apolgies if one of the critics offered up this information earlier.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    I agree, there is no advantage. The only reason I'd consider it is the possibility of an inning-ending double play.
    No question, it's your classic "pick your poison" scenario.

Sections
Shortcuts