Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Fumigate too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

The team is boring and uneventful. I think they will be sellers as well. Maybe they can get another teams lungs for some of the personnel on this roster. If taems like the Orioles and As give you trouble, it is going to be a long long year. Management is probably happy that Mariano Rivera was injured, which may keep Boston in the hunt. Both the Yankees and Red Sox look old an unhungry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I started a thread on this possibility in March. I'm not saying I think or hope it will happen, but it certainly should be a plan that is considered if we are 12 down at the deadline. 

The high-priced long-term players:
    AGon: 13-16: $21M annually, 17-18:$21.5M annually
    Craw: 12:$19.5M, 13:$20M, 14:$20.25M, 15:$20.5M, 16:$20.75M,17:$21M
    Beck: 12:$15.75M, 13:$15.75M, 14:$15.75M
    Lack: 12:$15.25M, 13:$15.25M, 14:$15.25M
    Pedey: 12:$8M, 13:$10M, 14:$10M, 15:$11M club option ($0.5M buyout)

I'd love to trade Crawford & Lackey, but we'd have to eat much of their contracts to do so; still it's worth a look. Lackey would have to be dealt this winter not at the deadline. If Crawford comes back and looks good before the dealine, maybe somone might take him to help for a playoff run, but we'd have to pay much of the deal, and we'd get prospects in return. AGon could be dealt to a big spending team, and we could maybe use Youk at 3B or groom Lava for the position. Beckett could be a big ticket item, but it would create a big hole where we have no ML ready prospects. I'm not into the idea of signing another pitcher to a huge & long deal. It makes no sense to trade Pedey. His cost is low for the results, and his drive to win makes him a keeper.

The high-priced short-term deals:
    Ortiz: $14.575M 
    Youk: 12:$12M, 13:$13M club option ($1M buyout)
    Dice: 12:$10M

This is an interesting threesum. Papi is our iconic hero, but is a FA after this year. In theory, we could trade him this July and then resign him this winter, if we wanted him back for a 2013 WS run. It's very rare. Youk could be replaced by Middlebrooks of Aviles, but who would take an injury-prone aging player making $12M? We'd have to pay much of his deal, but still, it might be worth it, especially if it helps us stay under this year's tax. A Dice-K trade would take a lot of things to happen for him to bring back any true value this deadline.

Mid to high-priced players:
    Ells: 12: $8.05M (+ 1 arb year)
    Lester: 12:$7.625M, 13:$11.625M, 14:$13M club option ($0.25M buyout)

Trading Ellsbury makes a lot of sense if we are looking at 2014 and beyond, but if we are trying to win in 2013, it's hard to think of a way to do it without Jacoby, unless he brings back immediate help in return. I'm all for looking at what we can get, but I doubt we get equal value. With his injury, I'm not sure his arb will be that high this winter. That might add to his trade value, but it also makes it worth holding on to him more reasonable as well. I seriously doubt Lester should or will be traded. At about $12M/yr for 2 years after 2012, it's hard to imagine us finding a better FA for cheaper.

Free Agents in 2013:
    Byrd: 12:$6.5M (Not paid by us)
    Jenks: 12:$6M
    Ross: 12: $3M
    Padilla: 12: $1.5M
    Shopp: 12: $1.35M
    None of these guys will bring anything great in return, but Ross might get us a nice prospect if he is having a good year by July 31st.

Free Agents in 2014:
    Sween: 12: $1.75M (+1 arb)
    Punto: 12:$1.5M, 13:$1.5M
    Salty: $2.5M (+1 arb year)
    Albers: $1.075M (+1 arb year)
    Hill: 12: $0.725M (+1 arb year)
    Repko: Minor league deal

None of these guys scream out as keepers, and none would fetch much in return either, but Sweeney and Hill would be my choices to stick around. Salty has potential, but I think he could be traded for a nice prospect or two.

The Core:
    Buch:  12:$3.5M, 13:$5.5M, 14:$7.7M, 15:$12M, 16:$13M club option ($0.245M buyout), 17:$13.5M club option ($0.5M buyout) 
    Bailey: 12: 
    $3.9M (+2 arb years)
    Iggy: 12: $$3.9M (+? arb years)
    Bard: 12: $1.6125M (+3 arb years)
    Aceves: 12: $1.2M (+2 arb years)
    Aviles: 12: $1.2M (+2 arb years)
    Morales: 12  $0.85M  (+2 arb years)
    Melancon: 12: $0.521M  (+ 4 years of control)

There are some players here that other teams would want, but at this low cost, I don't see any purpose in trading these guys, unless they net us a bonafide star.

Pre-arbs:
    Doubront, Kalish, Lavarnway, Carpenter, Anderson, Lin, Middlebrooks, Mortensen, Pimental, Tazawa, Tejada, Barnes, Bogaerts, Bradley, Brentz, Carlson, Cecchini, Ciriaco, Jacobs, Ranaudo, & Swihart

Some could be dealt this winter or at the deadline if we are in the race, but this thread is about the worst case scenario, so I doubt as "sellers" we'd deal any of these guys unless they were part of a deal where we dumped salary along with giving up a prospect (rarely done).

Expendables:
    Miller: 12: $1.04M
    Thomas: 12: $0.516M 
    Atchison: 12: $0.51M
    DMac: 12: $0.5065M
    Cook, Germano, Haeger, Maine, Mathis, Nava, Ohlendorf, Rivera, & Spears

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

but if we are trying to win in 2013, it's hard to think of a way to do it without Jacoby,

The Red Sox have been big losers for every season that Ellsbury has been on the active roster for the entire season. Albatross.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Cool

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

I'd put anyone out on the trade market except for Pedroia

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It didn't take long for the nay-sayers to re-emerge.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Moon for someone to take on that Crawford contract he would need to come back and hit like Ted Williams or the other teams GM would have to have a gun to his head.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...":
    but if we are trying to win in 2013, it's hard to think of a way to do it without Jacoby, The Red Sox have been big losers for every season that Ellsbury has been on the active roster for the entire season. Albatross. Posted by hankwilliamsjr
    Is could be your least thought out agruement ever, are you even trying?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon for someone to take on that Crawford contract he would need to come back and hit like Ted Williams or the other teams GM would have to have a gun to his head.

Crawford's injuries are not career threatening. 

Although I said he was "overpaid by at least $50M" the day after we signed him, that still makes him worth about $8-9M a year for the last 5 years of his deal.

We could trade him and pay $8-11M/yr of his deal, or trade him for a salary dump guy like Barry Zito or Jake Peavey and roll the dice. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

Include Iglesias and Bard in this sell off too.They can never win with OK fielding and no hit. Iglesias is a .200 lifetime hitter forever. If he can't hit by now,he never will.A couple slick plays at shortstop will not win a championship. Bard is not what so many thinks he is.He couldn't win a game to save his assss.Throw it down the middle and see if they can surpass the one and only Teddy Williams red seat in right field at Fenway.The worst is that sorry assss Gonzalez who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.What has he done for the team and the fans except take them to the cleaners.All he does is strike out 75% of the time or hit into game ending and rally ending double plays. As sad and true as it is,when Carl Crawful was in the line up, he carried the team more than Gonzalez has.Why should that sorry piece of shittt care,he already has duped the fans out of millions of dollars.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Although I said he was "overpaid by at least $50M" the day after we signed him, that still makes him worth about $8-9M a year for the last 5 years of his deal

You also said that Tim Wastefield was worth at least 1 million a year, and that the Twins couldn't afford Joe Mauer. You have no crediblity on value or market value.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am tired of moon's negativity, really brings the forum down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

There's an old adage that one man's trash is another man's treasure. Unfortunately, everyone in the league knows exactly what you know. Forget trying to leverage bad commodities into a good situation. Crawford is here to stay and so I Gonzalez. Even if you could find a suitor, you'd have to pick up so much of the salary, it wouldn't be cost effective. Better to just swallow those mistakes. I say try to trade away those players that are known 'bad' quantities and try to rebuild around the rest. The players to move? Beckett and Lackey. Eat the Lackey deal just to get him out of here. Beckett I believe would have decent value to another team that could be convinced that a change in venue to turn him back into an ace. Cheers.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In Response to Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...:
    There's an old adage that one man's trash is another man's treasure. Unfortunately, everyone in the league knows exactly what you know. Forget trying to leverage bad commodities into a good situation. Crawford is here to stay and so I Gonzalez. Even if you could find a suitor, you'd have to pick up so much of the salary, it wouldn't be cost effective. Better to just swallow those mistakes. I say try to trade away those players that are known 'bad' quantities and try to rebuild around the rest. The players to move? Beckett and Lackey. Eat the Lackey deal just to get him out of here. Beckett I believe would have decent value to another team that could be convinced that a change in venue to turn him back into an ace. Cheers.
    Posted by teamguy

Bingo, Team guy has it right.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...:
    THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! STINKS!!! 4TH OR 5TH PLACE FINISH AWAITS.. It is time to dismantle this team!! KEEP: Pedroia, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Bard, Dubront, Aceves, Iglesias, I say trade Ellsbury- highly unlikely he stays after 2013 anyway, Gonzo, Lester (those three bring the most in return)  Beckett , Youk , Papi, Shoppach, McDonald, Ross, Anderson, .. Thoughts ?
    Posted by cactusTony

Most of the assets you mention are fully priced so won't bring much, therefore they have greater value to us.

Ellsbury - not quite fully priced as still under control for another year, but still pricey and unlikely to sign an extension.  And if we think we can make a run in 2013 (though I'm not writing off this year) we should keep him.
    Gonzo - Wouldn't bring much. Fully priced, and few teams can afford him that don't already have a 1B.
    Lester - No way should we trade him!  Great pitcher, in prime, reasonable salary.  A huge building block, though he would bring a lot.
    Beckett - No way should we trade him.  Great pitcher.  But he's fully priced so wouldn't bring much.
    Youk - fully priced, injured, appears to be fading, would bring little
    Papi - overpriced, limited skill set, FA at end of year, would bring little
    Ross - would bring little, FA at end of year, limited skill set.
    Shoppach - trade him for Longoria.
    McDonald - trade him for Kemp.
    Anderson - trade him in a 3-way deal for the Upton brothers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

First off it's only the second week of May....

the Orioles are playing close to .700 ball and the Angels are in last place in the west. The Yankees just lost thier closer and the Ray's are without Longoria for 2 months.

My guess is that come September 1st the division races will look much different than they do today...

That said, I'm not all that convinced that the Sox will be buyers or sellers come the deadline. It's not like they need to dump salary and moon's post above (very well done), outlines the current rosters value pretty well.

Oh by the way there's nothing wrong with this roster that can't be fixed.

First off they need to get healthy (Bailey, Crawford, Ells & Youk)...

Secondly they need Lester, Beckett and Buccholz each to pitch to the backs of thier baseball cards. End of the day, if they don't, were done anyways. If they do, then they along with the young guns Doubront and Bard will go a long ways in determaning our teams ability to compete in the long haul.

Lastly, once Bailey returns?  The bullpen will then have the requist guns to finish the season in the roles each were intended to fill when we broke camp. or they will likely need to add another arm come the dealine...if we're in position to make a run....

That said, If we find ourselves 12 games back of the Ray's on July first and the Wildcard race looks bleak. More importantly if we're still playing .500 ball or a significant portion of the nucleaus is on the DL...I could see them trading away guys that they don't intend to sign (Youk or Papi). They might even consider moving a guy like Beckett if indeed he is as many suspect at the heart of some of the strife eminating from the clubhouse...

I'm not ready to concede that we're doomed to fail and my guess is that Cherington and Valentine aren't either.

In the end it comes down to a very simple equasion...the players play, the coaches coach and the fans, root root root for the home team. I'm still up for doing my part...in hopes that the Players and Coaches do thiers....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...:
    First off it's only the second week of May.... the Orioles are playing close to .700 ball and the Angels are in last place in the west. The Yankees just lost thier closer and the Ray's are without Longoria for 2 months. My guess is that come September 1st the division races will look much different than they do today... That said, I'm not all that convinced that the Sox will be buyers or sellers come the deadline. It's not like they need to dump salary and moon's post above (very well done), outlines the current rosters value pretty well. Oh by the way there's nothing wrong with this roster that can't be fixed. First off they need to get healthy (Bailey, Crawford, Ells & Youk)... Secondly they need Lester, Beckett and Buccholz each to pitch to the backs of thier baseball cards. End of the day, if they don't, were done anyways. If they do, then they along with the young guns Doubront and Bard will go a long ways in determaning our teams ability to compete in the long haul. Lastly, once Bailey returns?  The bullpen will then have the requist guns to finish the season in the roles each were intended to fill when we broke camp. or they will likely need to add another arm come the dealine...if we're in position to make a run.... That said, If we find ourselves 12 games back of the Ray's on July first and the Wildcard race looks bleak. More importantly if we're still playing .500 ball or a significant portion of the nucleaus is on the DL...I could see them trading away guys that they don't intend to sign (Youk or Papi). They might even consider moving a guy like Beckett if indeed he is as many suspect at the heart of some of the strife eminating from the clubhouse... I'm not ready to concede that we're doomed to fail and my guess is that Cherington and Valentine aren't either. In the end it comes down to a very simple equasion...the players play, the coaches coach and the fans, root root root for the home team. I'm still up for doing my part...in hopes that the Players and Coaches do thiers....
    Posted by Beantowne

I hear you bean but players coming off injuries hardly ever make a huge contribution right away and the further this team falls the harder it will be to recover.   We may have the pieces if everyone plays well together as a team, the problem is we haven't had everyone together long enough in three years to get it done.

This is going to be tough season and I do see Youk moving on next season if he can't stay healthy again. There is simply no place for him next season unless Papi struggles the rest of the way. 3B is not going to keep Youk in any lineup and our catching is not getting any better either.   When we need to play guys like MCdon more often than not we are in even more trouble.

Sections
Shortcuts