Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...

There are very few players on this roster that are untouchable.  Crawford and Lackey are by virtue of their contracts, underperformance and injuries.  Virtually everyone else excepting Pedey, Gonzo(partly contract partly he is an elite player despite a poor April) and Ellsbury should be considered movable though we will need to keep at least one stud starter and I would bank on Lester over anyone else at this point.  Beckett is older, more difficult and has nagging injuries that seem to effect every even numbered season for some reason. Buchholz is not instilling much confidence in me these days.His back appears to still be an issue. Bard is also someone to hold on to, he has tremendous upside.   The bullpen has virtually no one that you would want to hang onto necessarily.

Therefore it is fair game to blow this up completely if management so chooses realizing there are some horrible big money contracts that make deals virtually impossible with the likes of Lackey, Crawford, Daisake and a few others. Anything is possible but Chenrington will really have a lot of objections to overcome with some of these bloated contracts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...:
    [QUOTE]THIS TEAM IS GOING NOWHERE THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! STINKS!!! 4TH OR 5TH PLACE FINISH AWAITS.. It is time to dismantle this team!! KEEP: Pedroia, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks, Bard, Dubront, Aceves, Iglesias, I say trade Ellsbury- highly unlikely he stays after 2013 anyway, Gonzo, Lester (those three bring the most in return)  Beckett , Youk , Papi, Shoppach, McDonald, Ross, Anderson, .. Thoughts ?
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

Well to me it seems like it's all Titos fault.???? Why not !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Crawford and Lackey are unmovable, lets move on!

Youkilis would be selling very low from a guy who was on the voting for MVP just a couple seasons ago.  I agree its time for Middlebrooks, but you need to get something of substance in return for him.  The RS will have to wait and see if he can hit up before his value can get higher.

Becketts injury issues and lofty salary makes him almost unmovable.  The RS will not get the return value and will be losing a front of the rotation guy.

I wouldnt trade Big papi as he is the only guy right now who is hitting and also hitting for power.  This team does not have the pop it once did.

Guys like Ross, Shoppach, Mcdonald, Punto will be commoities for some teams looking for short term contracts who can help their clubs down the stretch.

Id love for them to give Middlebrooks, Iglesias, and Anderson a chance, but would RS fans allow a youth movement to happen?  I doubt it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Youks has got to go.  We have a young 3B and Youks is no longer needed.  Even if you dump his salary for a AA prospect, it's a win.

I would also get rid of:  

Buchholz - who really doesn't care about baseball or being good at baseball.

Saltalamachia - someone will need a catcher at the break.  Let Lavarnaway play in Boston.

Crawford:  it would be a dream to dump this guy - but I doubt anyone else wants a totally useless ballplayer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

Cool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenway3. Show fenway3's posts

Not saying it will happen but I would not be surprised if the Sox would take offers for anybody on their roster if they could tag Lackey, Crawford, etc. in a trade.  Just as the Marlins told all teams if you want Becket you take Lowell as well.  Of course the trade worked out great for the Sox. Who knows what the Sox will and won"t do, but nothing will surprise me. Teams in the running could get blinders on and make a trade if they feel it could get them over the top.  I feel if the Sox are sellers they will get a lot of calls from other teams.

Once these contracts and alot of players are moved I believe Valentine is gone as well.  He is just keeping the seat warm for a new manager with a new team.

I do not feel the fans are connected to this team as the underdogs teams of the 2000's. I like those teams with Nomar and Troy O'Leary.  It was easy to root for those guys. 

Sox fan since the 70's and I just do not feel any energy with this team.  Hopefully a winning streak will change that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think they have to try and deal Crawford.  I suggested to the Mets with lots of cash for Bay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The sooner they put some guys on the trade market the better offers that can come along in time - Sorry but Youk, Beckett, Lester, Buck, Aceves, Aviles, Morales, Albiers, Shoppach, Punto  - - - all guys that a contendor may have interest in and that would give us something of use for 2013 and beyond........we really need that big RH bat and that big time ace.  Perhaps we could accumulate enough prospects in the mix to flip over to the M's for King F......Now if we could only get someone stupid enough to want Crawford.  Anyone know the cell # of the Cub's new GM??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not saying this is what I want to do, but here's a "sellers scenario" for you guys to ponder:

1)
    Trade:
    Crawford: 12:$19.5M, 13:$20M, 14:$20.25M, 15:$20.5M, 16:$20.75M,17:$21M
    Youkilis: 12:$12M, 13:$13M club option ($1M buyout)

For:
    B. Zito: 12:$19M, 13:$20M,14:$18M club option ($7M buyout)
    A. Huff: 12:$10M, 13:$10M club option ($2M buyout)
    S. Romo: 12: $1.575M  (+ 2 arb years)

I do not like Huff or Zito, but we'd get a nice relief pitcher in Romo, and a chance at a good starter in Zito for the advantage of getting rid of CC's longer term contract. Huff is a mess, and is just part of this deal to sweeten the money aspect of the deal for SF. SF gets some hitting it needs and a possible 1Bman or 3Bman (an area they need).

Cost: SF gains a little in the short run (if they let Youk walk), but has way more longterm cost...

2012: Boston $30.6M/ SF $31.5M

2013: (No Huff with $2M buyout)
    with Youk: Boston $24M (with Romo arb raise)/ SF $33M
    No Youk: Boston $24M/ SF $21M (with Youk buyout)

Likely 2012-2013 real cost (1/3rd of 2012 salary + 2013 salary) with No Youk or Huff option counted:
    Boston:
    SF:  $31.5M
    Bos:$32.2M

2014: Boston $11M ($7M Zito buyout + $4M Romo arb)/ SF $20.3M
    2015: Boston $0 / SF $20.5
    2016: Boston $0/ SF $20.8M
    2017: Boston $0/ SF $21M

2) 
    Trade:
    Ortiz: $14.575M (FA or arb in 2013)
    Dice-K: 12:$10M (FA or arb in 2013)

For:
    Jacob Turner (RHP) #1 Baseball America prospect: 4 years/$5.5M (2010-13), plus $1m/yr 2014, 2015 club options 
    Casey Crosby (LHP) #4 prospect (prearb
    Avisail Garcia (OF) #10 prosect (perarb)

3)
    Trade:
    Marlon Byrd: Contratc paid by the Cubs (FA in 2013)
    Bobby Jenks: 12: $6M (not likely, even if he gets healthy)
    Cody Ross: 12: $3M (FA in 2013)
    Nick Punto: 12:$1.5M, 13:$1.5M
    Vincent Padilla: 12: $1.5M (FA in 2013)
    Kelly Shoppach: 12: $1.3M (Fa in 2013)
    Matt Albers: 12: $1.075M (+ 1 arb year)
    A. Miller: 12: $1.04M (+2 arb years)

For:
    Prospects with emphasis on pitching, SS  and RH'd power hitting OF'ers.

4)
    2012-2013 winter Deal.
    Trade:
    Lackey: 12:$15.25M, 13:$15.25M, 14:$15.25M 15: Min wage injury clasueA. Atchison: (prearb, then 3 arb years)
    Middlebrooks (prearb)
    A. Hassan (prearb)

For:
    Jason Bay: 13:$16M, 14:$17M club option ($3M buyout) ($basically $19M/1)
    David Wright: 13:$16M club option ($1M buyout) (Extension part of deal)

I don't want J-Bay, but we'd save money with him over Lackey, and we'd only have him 1 year, then lose his money for 2014.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I just don't see much of a trade market for our guys, contracts are too big or damaged goods. 

What I see is adding a top rate free agent pitcher this winter and anotehr one next winter and letting go of some the bigger contract guy for practcially nothing. 

Three years from now we are back in the swing of things. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rniche. Show rniche's posts

In Response to Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...:
    [QUOTE]It didn't take long for the nay-sayers to re-emerge.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's for sure. Frustration, understandable, but c'mon!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rniche. Show rniche's posts

In Response to Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Plan on being MAJOR SELLERS at July trade deadline... : Bingo, Team guy has it right.    
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

Yes! I'd rather be under .500 than have Beckett and Lackey on tis team. Buh-bye.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Moon of all of those hypotheticals, I like the Jason Bay/ David Wright trade for Lackey, Middlebrooks and Hassan. The Mets would get a young controllable prospect in Middlebrooks to replace Wright and Wright gets to come to a more hitter friendly park in Fenway.  This is the type of deal that could actually happen and makes sense for both teams. We would take on J. Bay who has been a disaster for the Mets and they get John Lackey, statistically the worst starting pitcher in over 60 years(based on his 2011 numbers).  Theoretically if J. Bay bounced back to something approaching 60% of his former Pirates/Red Sox self it would be a great trade because Bay had a couple of very good years here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Management created the contractual obligations--management is going to have to solve the problem by giving the okay to some trade suggestions above.

My suggestions are more to solve a couple of issues and to get the best players in the system playing.

To me, and I have felt this way since last fall, Beckett is the issue--he was the issue last Sept., he's still the issue. If he's moved it will settle issues in the clubhouse.

The problem is Ben's and BV's hands are tied. Except for some minor moves:

1. They can DFA Shop OR Salty can be sent to the PawSox: promote Lavarnway.
    2. They can trade Punto for a PTBNL.
    3. They can DFA DMac, Thomas and Lars to clear 40 man roster space.
    4. Put Beckett on the Trade Block early enough to insure a decent return.
    5. See how Buch pitches in his next two turns or if the blister gets worse-DL him or send him to the PawSox for rehab.
    6. I would not say Lester is an untouchable however if someone approaches Ben a with Gio Gonzales type return--it has to be considered.

I like the Pen, even though I would prefer Bard in the Pen and Padilla in the rotation. Hopefully Cook won't be lost for long.

The PawSox have some additional arms the Sox could test--Duckworth, Germano and Ohlendorf before Dice K is ready.

Mortenson made one mistake Sat. but he shows some promise after two appearances.

I could see several teams that would return some decent talent for Beckett, Buch or as another trade option Lester. The Dodgers, Angels, Marlins, Indians, White Sox, Detroit--maybe more.

By moving Punto and DMac they could  promote Iggy and Ciriaco that might solidify the defense and add a little spark.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Seems to me that many amongst us, have a short memory with Lackey. End of the day, it's not his fault that the Sox signed him to his current deal knowing that his elbow was a real concern. Then asked him to take the ball every five days while pitching with diminished stuff...He managed his elbow issues in 2010, not unlike he had the previuos two seasons in LA. Though he had a lackluster year, by his own standards, he did manage to lead the team in both innings pitched and QS...Last season we have now learned that he pitched the entire year with a bum elbow and as the season wore on lost his command and due to his elbow couldn't use his best pitch a sharp breaking slider. A pitch that helped make him one of the best pitchers in the AL from 2003 to 2009 when he was the leader of the Angel's staff. Who allowed him to walk knowing that he was on his way to needing Tommy John Surgury...The Sox also feared that and included a protection clause in his contract...Which basically covered his lost season to rehab from the sugury and what is the major league minimum salary...

Looking to 2013...the good news is that in the 90 percentile pitchers that have TJ surgury come back "stronger" with little residual effects. Unlike shoulder surguries where over 25% never fully recover. So I would caution all who are quick to assume that we've seen the best of Lackey in a Sox uniform...Today he has little value due to his contract and injury/rehab...all of that changes, if he does, indeed like most pitchers, that have had the procedure come back and pitch to the backs of thier baseball cards...

time will tell...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Looking to 2013...the good news is that in the 90 percentile pitchers that have TJ surgury come back "stronger" with little residual effects. Unlike shoulder surguries where over 25% never fully recover. So I would caution all who are quick to assume that we've seen the best of Lackey in a Sox uniform...Today he has little value due to his contract and injury/rehab...all of that changes, if he does, indeed like most pitchers, that have had the procedure come back and pitch to the backs of thier baseball cards...

time will tell...

I agree. I expect Lackey will be a better-than-average 5 starter next year. I also expect CC will contribute.